PDA

View Full Version : Just like the clippers series...Pop has been terrible.

apalisoc_9
01-30-2016, 09:55 PM
Its amazing how poor hes been coaching the last year and half against good teams.

J_Paco
01-30-2016, 10:12 PM
Its amazing how poor hes been coaching the last year and half against good teams.

You are such a moronic poster, man. What can he do to stop LeBron and Kyrie from penetrating against a small front line? He's already tried going to a zone but clearly the Cavaliers' two best players see a guy that wears #21 missing from the line up.

dabom
01-30-2016, 10:26 PM
Pop has Boban and keeps starting West. Pop is afraid to make adjustments besides play harder.

HarlemHeat37
01-30-2016, 10:29 PM
His rotations have been strange, but I guess he's in ultra-experimentation mode..

Not sure why he wouldn't try to ride Green after he made 6 3s last game and shot a great % in January, his only 3-point attempt in this game was a fast break, pull-up 3..he used to draw up plays for him, at least..the Spurs aren't going to win by trading 2s for 3s, every game..

J_Paco
01-30-2016, 10:50 PM
Pop has Boban and keeps starting West. Pop is afraid to make adjustments besides play harder.

Boban is about as effective as Aron Baynes was at protecting the rim which is not at all. Did you not see Boban give up three consecutive baskets to Mozgov by over helping?!?!?

He isn't the answer on defense, people.

apalisoc_9
01-30-2016, 10:50 PM
The Green treatment is a huge head scratcher.

dabom
01-30-2016, 10:52 PM
Boban is about as effective as Aron Baynes was a protecting the rim which is not at all. Did you not see Boban give up three consecutive baskets to Mozgov by over helping?!?!?

He isn't the answer on defense, people.

Watch the tape faggot. Cause playing Diaw and West with LMA is the solution right? Watch basketball next time.

J_Paco
01-30-2016, 10:53 PM
The Green treatment is a huge head scratcher.

He makes bone headed decisions on defense and takes ill-advised shots.

ElNono
01-30-2016, 10:54 PM
His rotations have been strange, but I guess he's in ultra-experimentation mode..

Not sure why he wouldn't try to ride Green after he made 6 3s last game and shot a great % in January, his only 3-point attempt in this game was a fast break, pull-up 3..he used to draw up plays for him, at least..the Spurs aren't going to win by trading 2s for 3s, every game..

This. It's like if we get down 12, he starts mixing stuff up... then again, today we didn't have Duncan and LMA was in foul trouble, so makes sense...

Mnky
01-30-2016, 11:01 PM
Hard to game plan for your best player not showing up tbh. Guess he should be used to it by now tho, do op has a point

J_Paco
01-30-2016, 11:02 PM
Watch the tape faggot. Cause playing Diaw and West with LMA is the solution right? Watch basketball next time.

Yeah, I watched Boban give Mozgov three easy baskets because he's piss poor on defense. Size alone doesn't equal defensive prowess, people.

And you can keep your childish insults to yourself, boy.

ceperez
01-30-2016, 11:04 PM
Spurs got major problems not having quick big defenders.

PATFO may have made a major error by not stocking the end of bench players with younger folks who can defend the paint. We got Bonner and Butler, but these two are too old and can't defend the paint.

Two10Whitey
01-30-2016, 11:04 PM
Yeah, I watched Boban give Mozgov three easy baskets because he's piss poor on defense. Size alone doesn't equal defensive prowess, people.

:lmao

dabom
01-30-2016, 11:05 PM

And what did Diaw West LMa do? Yeah thats right buddy. Boban can score defend and rebound. :lmao

Harry Callahan
01-30-2016, 11:09 PM
I thought APO was going to kill himself. Why is he still here.

J_Paco
01-30-2016, 11:11 PM

And what did Diaw West LMa do? Yeah thats right buddy. Boban can score defend and rebound. :lmao

I give Boban his props on offense because he uses his size and strength extremely well plus he has great hands, but he's below average on defense and is often slow to react/get back. He gave Mozgov his easiest baskets of the night do to being caught over helping/rotating too soon. Everyone was a traffic cone on defense and West/Aldridge/Diaw were shit protecting the paint, but Boban wouldn't have helped matters at all.

Two10Whitey
01-30-2016, 11:15 PM
I give Boban his props on offense because he uses his size and strength extremely well plus he has great hands, but he's below average on defense and is often slow to react/get back. He gave Mozgov his easiest baskets of the night do to being caught over helping/rotating too soon. Everyone was a traffic cone on defense and West/Aldridge/Diaw were shit protecting the paint, but Boban wouldn't have helped matters at all.

spursistan
01-30-2016, 11:23 PM
It would be sacrilegious to say it when it comes to Pop, but coaches decline too..Somebody like Carlisle has better in-game awareness; others like Bud and Stevens have far more creative ATO plays which Pop has been embarrassing himself with last year or so..That's why i don't like us facing a team like the Clippers again..he might coach us to an exit with his momentum-killing hack-a-DJ

Chinook
01-30-2016, 11:40 PM
You are such a moronic poster, man. What can he do to stop LeBron and Kyrie from penetrating against a small front line? He's already tried going to a zone but clearly the Cavaliers' two best players see a guy that wears #21 missing from the line up.

Going zone was dumb. Playing Manu so much was dumb. Playing Mills so much was dumb. Not playing Anderson was dumb. Playing Simmons on Irving was dumb. Not calling any plays was dumb. We can chalk up this game to experimental mode all we like. But just like Green's performance when he was experimenting with his dribble-drive game, Pop doesn't get a pass for missing obvious adjustments.

apalisoc_9
01-30-2016, 11:43 PM
Oh God, the simmons experiment needs to go.

One of the worst defensive fundamentals in the team. I mean yeah he played with energy.but he also got torched.

apalisoc_9
01-30-2016, 11:44 PM
Spurs got major problems not having quick big defenders.

PATFO may have made a major error by not stocking the end of bench players with younger folks who can defend the paint. We got Bonner and Butler, but these two are too old and can't defend the paint.

True.

dabom
01-30-2016, 11:45 PM
Simmons is bad defensively. Not horrible. We are missing a rim protector. Pop likes to play undersized PFs.

ChumpDumper
01-31-2016, 12:02 AM
lol Spurs lose and 30 applesauce threads appear.

Kawhitstorm
01-31-2016, 12:57 AM

He's clearly taking advantage of Tim's absence to play Mad Scientist against potential playoff foes. All those gimmicky defense schemes stood out & he was also willing to play Fathead/Simmons/Boban early in the game which has been unusual against playoff teams.

DMC
01-31-2016, 01:03 AM
Boban is an unusually agile giant but he's garbage time material on a decent team because he doesn't seem to grasp the basics though he's been playing ball for years. Don't bring the ball down: he does it every time. Don't jump on defense, you're 10' fuckin' tall: he does it anyhow. Don't over help on defense, protect the rim: he over helps. Don't come out into the deeper water: he drifts out to the top of the key. Recognize your dominant size and shooting ability: He plays like a guard.

You folks with the annual "Free New Guy" schtick are amusing, but it's tired already. Oh he'll have a great game sometime and folks will bump the thread and pretend he's being held back. He is, but by himself.

Spurs_619
01-31-2016, 01:03 AM
He's clearly taking advantage of Tim's absence to play Mad Scientist against potential playoff foes. All those gimmicky defense schemes stood out & he was also willing to play Fathead/Simmons/Boban early in the game which has been unusual against playoff teams.
On that note i don't see what some posters see here in Kyle. I don't think he will ever be that good for how slow he is i thought he would make it up with his shooting and playmaking which i still haven't see in the almost 2 years hes been with the team now. His defense can be good at times with his length but thats the only positive i see. I think Simmons actually could develop really nicely.

DMC
01-31-2016, 01:04 AM
lol Spurs lose and 30 applesauce threads appear.
And you post in every one of them.

HarlemHeat37
01-31-2016, 01:06 AM
And you post in every one of them.

SAGirl
01-31-2016, 01:07 AM
He wasn't terrible here. We just missed Tim and LMA is no rim protector. On top of that Cavsrefs got him in trouble early.
Things he tried backfired, but he tried different things and gave a chance to everyone.

Individual guys were sucking pretty bad too just like against GSW. The difference was that unlike against GSW... in this game, Anderson/Simmons were able to mount a comeback instead of folding.

SAGirl
01-31-2016, 01:14 AM
Boban is an unusually agile giant but he's garbage time material on a decent team because he doesn't seem to grasp the basics though he's been playing ball for years. Don't bring the ball down: he does it every time. Don't jump on defense, you're 10' fuckin' tall: he does it anyhow. Don't over help on defense, protect the rim: he over helps. Don't come out into the deeper water: he drifts out to the top of the key. Recognize your dominant size and shooting ability: He plays like a guard.

You folks with the annual "Free New Guy" schtick are amusing, but it's tired already. Oh he'll have a great game sometime and folks will bump the thread and pretend he's being held back. He is, but by himself.
I have to agree with you on Boban. He's electric to watch offensively but defensively, I have observed everything you cite to be true, and like you what is disheartening is that he's 27. If he was 22 like Anderson and just getting his feet on professional basketball I would be more optimistic. That is probably why he's best as a bench big and even then, Pop has been very selective and spotty.

He can get better. I will always remember how poor Baynes was with less tools than him... but .. not this season. Still has a lot to learn if he's going to learn it. Sometimes, when a player is 27 and already has too many bad habits those are harder to change than if you draft a guy and he's 20 when you first get him like Anderson was, and you have a chance to mold him.

SAGirl
01-31-2016, 01:17 AM
On that note i don't see what some posters see here in Kyle. I don't think he will ever be that good for how slow he is i thought he would make it up with his shooting and playmaking which i still haven't see in the almost 2 years hes been with the team now. His defense can be good at times with his length but thats the only positive i see. I think Simmons actually could develop really nicely.
Kyle's younger and has been deferring too much. If you don't see potential in him, I am not going to convince you otherwise because to a degree what you see is subjective.
But he has been playing a very limited role so far bc our rotation is deep. He hasn't been everything he can be and he has been getting better as the season has gone along. If you can't see that, then you can't.

Kawhitstorm
01-31-2016, 01:21 AM

Kyle can score against undersized defenders & doesn't try to do too much. He's like Luke Walton on the Lakers.

Spurs_619
01-31-2016, 01:30 AM
Kyle's younger and has been deferring too much. If you don't see potential in him, I am not going to convince you otherwise because to a degree what you see is subjective.
But he has been playing a very limited role so far bc our rotation is deep. He hasn't been everything he can be and he has been getting better as the season has gone along. If you can't see that, then you can't.

Fair enough. What do you think his ceiling is?

SAGirl
01-31-2016, 01:38 AM
Fair enough. What do you think his ceiling is?
I am not sure bc what he was before, a PG in HS and in College, he can't be at this level and the positionless forward the Spurs have had him play in the lower leagues was a high usage player. So it's hard to say where the Spurs are headed with him. But he is a guy that whatever position you want to call him, eventually you will be able to run a lot of stuff through bc he will make the right play, and very often for teammates.

Brian Windhorst
01-31-2016, 09:04 AM
The zone "working" for half a quarter is probably the only really bad take away from this game. Whenever some quirky bullshit tactic "works", Pop tends to live or die with it WAY past when it stops being effective. Watching Patty have to go 1on1 against Lebron like five times in a row was cringeworthy, any other coach who did that would get absolutely roasted by the NBA twittersphere tbh.

But it "worked" (caused CLE to take a few random shots until the figured it out) for a few minutes, so we'll probably be seeing a lot more of it in the next few weeks smh.

r0drig0lac
01-31-2016, 02:36 PM
I thought APO was going to kill himself. Why is he still here.

lmao

ceperez
01-31-2016, 02:39 PM
The zone "working" for half a quarter is probably the only really bad take away from this game. Whenever some quirky bullshit tactic "works", Pop tends to live or die with it WAY past when it stops being effective. Watching Patty have to go 1on1 against Lebron like five times in a row was cringeworthy, any other coach who did that would get absolutely roasted by the NBA twittersphere tbh.

But it "worked" (caused CLE to take a few random shots until the figured it out) for a few minutes, so we'll probably be seeing a lot more of it in the next few weeks smh.

Last year was a lot worse where he had platoon substitutions to keep guys fresh. Last year Spurs could barely bean average teams. This year they got plenty more weapons.

The big concern though is that the players can't seem to take their game to the next gear against elite competition.