PDA

View Full Version : way to go rasho - you said soft?

JUUOT
09-23-2005, 08:43 AM
Rasho took defense for nba players not being great at the euro tournament (i am sure tony will appreciate)

Nesterovic Ready To Fire Slovenia To Greatness
By Cindy Garcia-Bennett, PA Sport
23 September 2005

Slovenia captain Rasho Nesterovic has launched a spirited defence of the NBA players competing at EuroBasket 2005.

The San Antonio Spurs center has played a significant role for his national side in Serbia & Montenegro, helping the Slovenians go unbeaten in Group C to reach the quarter-final round for the first time in history.
They will take on Germany and their NBA sensation Dirk Nowitzki, who has played to rave reviews in Serbia & Montenegro.
Nesterovic, Bostjan Nachbar and Primoz Brezec all play in the NBA and have enjoyed a fine competition.

But there are some leading players from the NBA who have come under fire, particularly those in the Serbia & Montenegro side eliminated from the EuroBasket.

Nesterovic says people should not rush to judgement.

“The people who make those criticisms have never played in the NBA,” Nesterovic said to PA Sport.

“They don’t know what it means. It's difficult for NBA players. Two days after the EuroBasket finishes, you go to the USA and start a tough season for seven or eight months.

"Once you get there, no one asks you what you did in the summer, whether you played for the national team or if you are tired. And then if something happens during the season, no one from the national team is going to ask you if you are okay, or if you need anything.

"They take you when they need you, and use you. This is the same here as it is in America, so I don't see why there is so much criticism for NBA players." :fro

Nesterovic is confident Slovenia can continue to make waves at the EuroBasket, although Germany will be a big hurdle to clear.

“I always knew that we could do well,” he said.

"I have confidence in my team and my team-mates. From the first day, we were a little bit nervous but then we just started to play our game and everything came out really good.

"This tournament has proved that the best teams can lose against the so-called 'not-so-good teams'. In the knockout stages, anything can happen.

The coach just wants us to play our game and I think we are going to be in good shape.

"For us, our priority is to beat Germany and qualifying for the World Championship and after that, you never know.

"It's going to be a great game against Germany, they are a great team, very strong but so are we."

Should Slovenia make it to the big show next summer in Japan, Nesterovic says he desperately wants to be in the side.

"I definitely want to play in the World Championship," he said. "For me to play with the national team means a lot."

Nesterovic knows that Slovenia wil have to raise their game if they are to make a big impact here in Belgrade, and in Japan.

"There is always space for improvement," he said.

"The important thing is that we keep up our form."

samikeyp
09-23-2005, 08:46 AM
Hell yeah! Throw it down (verbally) big man! Now...take that emotion, bottle it, and bring it home with you! :)

angel_luv
09-23-2005, 08:47 AM
I've said it all along. Rasho's my... I mean, the Man ;)

Slo spurs fan
09-23-2005, 08:48 AM
Slovenian Fans Descend On Belgrade
By Yarone Arbel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

23 September 2005
With a capacity of 20,000, the Belgrade Arena is one of the largest and most modern basketball facilities in Europe. Every one of those seats was sold out months before the opening tip as fans in Serbia & Montenegro expected their side to contend for EuroBasket gold.

Fast forward to just before the quarter-final stage of the competition and with the home side crashing out against France, suddenly a full Belgrade Arena seemed a distant prospect.

In fact, attendance was excellent on the first day of the quarter-finals as 18,000 turned up to watch Greece vs. Russia and France vs. Lithuania.

However, with Slovenia due to take to the court on Friday against Germany for their first ever EuroBasket quarter-final, a full Belgrade Arena looks a certainty.

Slovenian have been celebrating with their fans throughout the tournament

1,500 Slovenian fans already have tickets to the quarter-finals and an extra 5,000 are expected to make the trip to Belgrade on Friday.

In Group C of the preliminary round there was no doubt which team had the upper hand in the stands. Thousands of Slovenians filled almost every seat in the Pionir Arena, and pushed their team to a 3-0 record, enough to win first place in the group and book a direct ticket to the quarter-finals.

The supporters also made their presence felt in downtown Belgrade, and there were reports of bars running out of alcohol as the Slovenians celebrated deep into the night following each of their team's victories.
Cheap train tickets and the short distance between Ljubljana and Belgrade will enable more Slovenians to join the party in case their team reaches the semi-finals, although domestic travel agencies are having problems finding enough buses to transport all the fans

Of course not everybody can make it to Belgrade, but there are plenty of people in Slovenia who are enjoying their team's success.

"Big euphoria" are the words Jaka Lopatic, of the Slovenian site "SiOL Sportal" (Sportal.siol.net), chose to describe the atmosphere in his home country. "It's like when our football team was playing in Euro. All the people now have high expectations because the team is playing very good and we have many fans to support them,” he said.

"Right now everything is about basketball in Slovenia" added Lopatic. "If the level of interest before the games started was 6, now there's no doubt it's a clear 10".

The support of the fans and the atmosphere back home is a comforting presence among the Slovenian team. After each game in the preliminary round coach Pipan and the players never missed a chance to thank the fans, and ask them for even more support in the next games.

Slovenia is only 3 wins short from the gold medal, and according to Lopatic, the fans could provide the team with the extra boos they need to reach the podium.

"All the team is saying they hope they'll have the same or even more support than in Pionir. They believe that with them they can go all the way

:drunk :drunk :drunk

angel_luv
09-23-2005, 08:48 AM
Hell yeah! Throw it down (verbally) big man! Now...take that emotion, bottle it, and bring it home with you! :)

Rasho is very passionate. He's just not as outwardly expressive as some of you would like.

angel_luv
09-23-2005, 08:51 AM
Slovenian fans are awesome!

batman2883
09-23-2005, 08:51 AM
Well technically speaking all Rasho has to do in 2 months is show up and practice waiving the towel and passing out gatorade...

J/K luv....only kidding

angel_luv
09-23-2005, 08:53 AM
I'm feeling it today, Slo. How about you? = )

samikeyp
09-23-2005, 08:54 AM
Rasho is very passionate. He's just not as outwardly expressive as some of you would like.

I don't think he has to scream and yell but I think his game could use some more of that passion. He is 7ft tall and 270lbs....the only person who should be able to block his way to the basket is Shaq....no one else should. He obviously has talent, I just think that talent could be enhanced with that passion.

JUUOT
09-23-2005, 08:56 AM
rasho is showing great leadership as a team captain. and give the truth as it is.
He was a solid center for spurs last year, maybee a summer of responsability added to consistent trade rumor will push him to the top.

If you combinmed the fact rasho will be hot from euro to the fact Nazr will be down physically for religious personal reason. Rasho should enjoy a good season start. the problem is : will he keep it up?
Will it be Oberto or Nazr ot both emerging to replace him?

As far as i am concerned . rasho is under contract and nazr will not be next year. i would have no problem keeping rasho and letting nazr walk!!!!

angel_luv
09-23-2005, 08:59 AM
I think Rasho's game oversees may be different than his play on the Spurs because our offense requires him to defer to Timmy.

batman2883
rasho is showing great leadership as a team captain. and give the truth as it is.
He was a solid center for spurs last year, maybee a summer of responsability added to consistent trade rumor will push him to the top.

If you combinmed the fact rasho will be hot from euro to the fact Nazr will be down physically for religious personal reason. Rasho should enjoy a good season start. the problem is : will he keep it up?
Will it be Oberto or Nazr ot both emerging to replace him?

As far as i am concerned . rasho is under contract and nazr will not be next year. i would have no problem keeping rasho and letting nazr walk!!!! [/

ha ha ha ha ha ha okay seriously this is going too far....but to each his own i suppose

SLOVENIAN 8
I am so nervous, i cant wait that game starts :elephant :smokin

angel_luv
09-23-2005, 09:01 AM
Me too Slo 8!

This is going to be a great and historic day! :elephant

JUUOT
09-23-2005, 09:07 AM
ha ha ha ha ha ha okay seriously this is going too far....but to each his own i suppose

exactly.

angel_luv
09-23-2005, 09:10 AM
exactly.

With Batman you just have to smile and nod. Sometimes the eyes roll in the process. :lol

batman2883
09-23-2005, 09:14 AM
With Batman you just have to smile and nod. Sometimes the eyes roll in the process. :lol

no you dont angel baby you know that the things that are going on in Euro basketball have no say in what happens in the NBA, its not near the same talent at all they have in the NBA....I'm not dogging on Rasho im just saying for all the international players, i mean they could be hot as hell overseas, but come time for the NBA season, they will be third stringers with no playing time. The only player shining like a mofo is Dirk and he's the star over here for the Mavs too, no other player is avereging like 30 points a game in the Euro Tourney right?

Slo spurs fan
09-23-2005, 09:14 AM
I'm feeling it today, Slo. How about you? = )

I am afraid, I won´t be able to handle the pressure :bang

I must take one shot of viliamovka! ;)

batman2883
09-23-2005, 09:15 AM

oohhh that sounds good what is it?

Slo spurs fan
09-23-2005, 09:17 AM
Pear brandy (very tasty I must say!!!)

angel_luv
09-23-2005, 09:17 AM

If it taste like Slovenian Brandy, there is no need to share with me. = )

batman2883
09-23-2005, 09:19 AM
Pear brandy (very tasty I must say!!!)

Sounds good ill have a shot, and by the way im rooting for Slovenia, i really dont like Dirk

Slo spurs fan
09-23-2005, 09:19 AM
ANGEL???? How could you???

angel_luv
09-23-2005, 09:21 AM
I'm sorry! I love Slovenia and was really excited to try your special brew. But that stuff is intense.
Even the seasoned drinkers ( I'm not one) said so.

angel_luv
Be back in a few! = )

SLOVENIAN 8
international players, i mean they could be hot as hell overseas, but come time for the NBA season, they will be third stringers with no playing time. The only player shining like a mofo is Dirk and he's the star over here for the Mavs too, no other player is avereging like 30 points a game in the Euro Tourney right?

Yes there is no big Superstars than in NBA, but the fact is that the teams are much stronger then you thinks.

batman2883
09-23-2005, 09:24 AM
Yes there is no big Superstars than in NBA, but the fact is that the teams are much stronger then you thinks.

Oh yes i understand that there are some strong teams in EuroBasketball, but the thing is everyone is trying to base the performances in the Eurotourney to how they will play in the NBA in the coming season....Thats something that just shouldnt be done. I have respect for anyone that plays the game professionally..

Slo spurs fan
09-23-2005, 09:26 AM
Oh yes i understand that there are some strong teams in EuroBasketball, but the thing is everyone is trying to base the performances in the Eurotourney to how they will play in the NBA in the coming season....Thats something that just shouldnt be done. I have respect for anyone that plays the game professionally..

Except Rasho? :lol

JUUOT
09-23-2005, 09:27 AM
no you dont angel baby you know that the things that are going on in Euro basketball have no say in what happens in the NBA, its not near the same talent at all they have in the NBA....I'm not dogging on Rasho im just saying for all the international players, i mean they could be hot as hell overseas, but come time for the NBA season, they will be third stringers with no playing time. The only player shining like a mofo is Dirk and he's the star over here for the Mavs too, no other player is avereging like 30 points a game in the Euro Tourney right?

my comment on rasho was based on 2 points.

1) rasho was the starting center for a team with a great record (remember it was the spurs)
2) i was impressed by him showing great leadership at the euro. not by his numbers that do not mean anything come nba time. character be it uin euroi or nba is still the same.

batman2883
09-23-2005, 09:28 AM
I have respect for Rasho too, I just have a problem with a big man that plays like he's small. If Rasho played more aggressive then i wouldnt have any complaints about him. Thats my only problem with the guy, he needs to get into the games with his heart, and not just because he's tall.

Slo spurs fan
09-23-2005, 09:30 AM
I have respect for Rasho too, I just have a problem with a big man that plays like he's small. If Rasho played more aggressive then i wouldnt have any complaints about him. Thats my only problem with the guy, he needs to get into the games with his heart, and not just because he's tall.

:tu

angel_luv
09-23-2005, 09:31 AM
I'm back = )

batman2883
09-23-2005, 09:32 AM
my comment on rasho was based on 2 points.

1) rasho was the starting center for a team with a great record (remember it was the spurs)
2) i was impressed by him showing great leadership at the euro. not by his numbers that do not mean anything come nba time. character be it uin euroi or nba is still the same.

Rasho also was a starter that got replaced after he got injured, and never again received his starting role back. The spurs realized with Nazr we have a more athletic big man who will hustle and be aggressive, if Rasho were as aggressive as Nazr i would never complain thats it.

Slo spurs fan
09-23-2005, 09:32 AM
I'm back = )

Good for you.

j/k

Slo spurs fan
09-23-2005, 09:34 AM
Rasho also was a starter that got replaced after he got injured, and never again received his starting role back. The spurs realized with Nazr we have a more athletic big man who will hustle and be aggressive, if Rasho were as aggressive as Nazr i would never complain thats it.

Bat, Spurs had THE BEST record last season with Rasho in the starting five!
(In reg season of course :oops )

Slo spurs fan
09-23-2005, 09:35 AM
I am off now, going home (from ofice) to WATCH SLOVENIAN VICTORY!!! :elephant :elephant :elephant

angel_luv
09-23-2005, 09:36 AM
Good for you.

:depressed

:cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

You are mean when you drink!

It's the demon Brandy! = )

j/k

samikeyp
09-23-2005, 09:56 AM
I think Rasho's game oversees may be different than his play on the Spurs because our offense requires him to defer to Timmy.

I agree with you to a point. Rasho is no better than the 4th option, maybe 3rd if someone if having a bad night, but I still think their is room for improvement...too many times last year I saw Rasho get the ball under the basket with only one guy there, a smaller guy at that, and he passed the ball out. If the guy in front of you is smaller, take it to the rack! Now, I think maybe his FT struggles may have had something to do with that but I honestly think he could be a 10ppg a scorer with a little more aggressiveness. Imagine how much more lethal the Spurs could be with that.

angel_luv
09-23-2005, 10:04 AM
Rasho is a starter in my opinion.

I'm not trying to say that Rah doesn't have room for improvement. But then again, everyone on the Spurs could be better at something.

None of us know what it is like to actually play in a professional game.
I'm willing to bet we would all be a lot slower to judge if we were to trade places with Rasho ( or any athlete) for a day.

Spurs Biggest Fan
09-23-2005, 10:04 AM
When and what channel is the game in SA????

samikeyp
09-23-2005, 10:19 AM

I'm not trying to say that Rah doesn't have room for improvement. But then again, everyone on the Spurs could be better at something.

I'm willing to bet we would all be a lot slower to judge if we were to trade places with Rasho ( or any athlete) for a day.

I agree completely. To you and our Slovenian friends out there, I hope you know I wasn't bashing. I was as happy as anyone was for Rasho when the Spurs won the title. All year long when I would hear Steven Ass Smith rag on him (someone else who has never played pro ball) I would pray for a Spurs title just so Rasho could prove him wrong. This was a true team effort to win the championship and Rasho was a part of that.

angel_luv
09-23-2005, 10:39 AM
I knew you weren't bashing. Your fair in your post and I can tell you think before you type.

batman2883
09-23-2005, 10:40 AM
Angel WTF is that suppose to mean, i think before i type too and im sorry Rasho just doesnt deserve to start. He isnt as hungry for it as Nazr or Oberto may be.

angel_luv
09-23-2005, 10:47 AM
That was not a slight towards you Bat.
I was responding to Sam.

angel_luv
09-23-2005, 10:48 AM
When and what channel is the game in SA????

I think it is on NBA TV at 11:00 a.m

samikeyp
09-23-2005, 10:56 AM
I knew you weren't bashing. Your fair in your post and I can tell you think before you type.

Thank you! If Slovenia wins this, I will throw down a shot of Pear Brandy with you! (just not the bottle with the flies in it!)

angel_luv
09-23-2005, 10:58 AM
When = ) Slovenia wins, I'd be willing to give the Slovenian Brandy another try too!

Break it out SLO! = )

coopdogg3
09-23-2005, 11:15 AM
OK, maybe I am completely misreading this article, but is Rasho basically saying that he is too tired to be an effective/aggressive NBA player due to the amount of energy he must exert in his summer international play??

IF he is saying that, how does that not lead us back to the discussion of how this summer play adversely effects the play of our Spurs players during the season?

coopdogg3

batman2883
09-23-2005, 11:19 AM
OK, maybe I am completely misreading this article, but is Rasho basically saying that he is too tired to be an effective/aggressive NBA player due to the amount of energy he must exert in his summer international play??

IF he is saying that, how does that not lead us back to the discussion of how this summer play adversely effects the play of our Spurs players during the season?

coopdogg3

Technically he's making future excuses on why he will be riding the bench this year leading to the other thread which is so nicely labeled, "will Rasho ride the bench this year".

JUUOT
09-23-2005, 12:35 PM

coopdogg3

NO,

he repsonds to the european press who is really hard on nba players. Because they are supposely good and paid a fortune but they are not difference maker at the tournament (except the big german).
His answer was clear ans simple: we are asked a lot and we do our best, everybody wants a piece and we deal with it

sprrs
09-23-2005, 12:43 PM

The thing is that Rasho needs improvement in an area that can be fixed really easily: hustle. If he hustles and shows even half the heart of say, Manu, I think myself and a lot of the people will have a new respect for him.

But you're right I guess none of us have played in the NBA so we can't say if it's just that easy to improve yourself.

boutons
09-23-2005, 12:48 PM
Rasho played his softest today vs Deutschland, he makes it really hard to support him.

angel_luv
09-23-2005, 01:08 PM
If you wanted to support Rasho, you would see that there are plenty of reasons to.

batman2883
09-23-2005, 01:42 PM
Rasho played his softest today vs Deutschland, he makes it really hard to support him.

Boutons you are my new best friend buddy you have said what i have saying forever

SWC Bonfire
09-23-2005, 01:46 PM
If you wanted to support Rasho, you would see that there are plenty of reasons to.

Angel_luv, we need to all cash in our v$ and get you a Rasho/Slovenia cheerleader outfit. :lol

boutons
09-23-2005, 01:52 PM
I've always suported, and still do support, Rasho, but he makes it so hard with his passive play. I still want him to contribute much more this year than last, when the Spurs won the Title essentially without him.

angel_luv
09-23-2005, 02:17 PM
Angel_luv, we need to all cash in our v$ and get you a Rasho/Slovenia cheerleader outfit. :lol

Or just buy me Rasho.

I promise we'll go far far away and never cause any more "trouble" to you fine fans! :lol

batman2883
09-23-2005, 02:24 PM
Or just buy me Rasho.

I promise we'll go far far away and never cause any more "trouble" to you fine fans! :lol

I gotta get working on that>......

SWC Bonfire
09-23-2005, 02:58 PM
Or just buy me Rasho.

Hey, watch it, little sister. I'm one of the ones who thinks Rasho will start. :jack

angel_luv
09-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Hey, watch it, little sister. I'm one of the ones who thinks Rasho will start. :jack

I sit corrected . :lol