PDA

View Full Version : Article: Spurs need Tim Duncan back in lineup as soon as possible

Solid D
01-31-2016, 05:02 PM
Spurs need Tim Duncan back in lineup as soon as possible

3:05 AM ET
Michael C. Wright
ESPN Staff Writer
CLEVELAND -- San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich leaned against a wall inside Quicken Loans Arena on Saturday before his team’s 117-103 loss to the Cleveland Cavaliers and laid out concerns regarding Tim Duncan's absence from the starting lineup.

“Well, he’s our base from which everything else emanates,” Popovich said. “Everybody else knows how to operate based on where he is and what he does. That’s my biggest concern with the game really is him not being there for everybody to move around because he’s the center of what goes on defensively.

“Timmy’s not the most amazing athlete in the world, but he still protects the rim very, very well, and as I said, provides the center of the universe for us down there.” (Read the complete article at ESPN link below)

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-antonio-spurs/post/_/id/406/spurs-need-tim-duncan-back-in-lineup-as-soon-as-possible

dabom
01-31-2016, 05:03 PM
Didn't need Pop to tell me this. Laughing at the people that thought we didn't need him for GSW. :lol

tbdog
01-31-2016, 05:21 PM
As soon as possible? No. A few weeks before the playoffs? Yes.

Russ
01-31-2016, 05:26 PM
Duncan = rings.

I'm not sure we realize just how dramatic the change will be once he retires.

He should have won Finals MVP in '14.

And he was the best player in the Clippers series in '15.

SAGirl
01-31-2016, 05:41 PM
The truth. We miss him.

z0sa
01-31-2016, 05:46 PM

Something the tards conveniently don't mention or acknowledge. He was making DeAndre Jordan his bitch night in and out in simple playground postups.

dabom
01-31-2016, 05:50 PM
Duncan = rings.

:lmao

Texas_Ranger
01-31-2016, 06:01 PM
no shit

spurs10
01-31-2016, 06:02 PM
Well without 'the center of the universe' there who is going to take his place? LMA sat out the entire 2nd quarter last night and that was the game.

UZER
01-31-2016, 06:11 PM
40 years old. We're hanging by a thread.

I think it good that he's out. Gives everyone a chance to figure out how to survive without him.

wildbill2u
01-31-2016, 06:13 PM
Watching West wander around on defense without any idea of what he should be doing or when he should rotate is very painful. With Tim playing QB of the defense, West might be ok out there, but he still hasn't caught on to the defensive schemes IMO>

spurs10
01-31-2016, 06:18 PM
Watching West wander around on defense without any idea of what he should be doing or when he should rotate is very painful. With Tim playing QB of the defense, West might be ok out there, but he still hasn't caught on to the defensive schemes IMO> :toast

Kawhitstorm
01-31-2016, 06:23 PM
Duncan = rings.

Tim was a better player than Kawhi in 2014 but Kawhi was the MVP of the series.

ceperez
01-31-2016, 08:05 PM
ASAP? I think not. Spurs should have enough talent to beat most teams without Duncan.

Galileo
01-31-2016, 09:03 PM
“Timmy’s not the most amazing athlete in the world, but he still protects the rim very, very well, and as I said, provides the center of the universe for us down there.” (Read the complete article at ESPN link below)

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-antonio-spurs/post/_/id/406/spurs-need-tim-duncan-back-in-lineup-as-soon-as-possible

Has there ever been a 39-year-old NBA player who was a much better athlete?

dunkman
01-31-2016, 09:08 PM
Tim was a better player than Kawhi in 2014 but Kawhi was the MVP of the series.

Duncan should have won it in '13, but the Spurs lost the title . . . somehow.

Sean Cagney
01-31-2016, 09:09 PM
:lmao

I agree that was Kawhi's MVP that year but the year before had they pulled it off it would have to have been Timmy hands down after that game 6 when he put up 31/17 and then got benched and you know the rest. Kawhi though won that MVP fair and square playing head up with James.

HarlemHeat37
01-31-2016, 09:10 PM
Meh, he should rest as long as possible..they only need him vs. the other great teams..

I don't think some people understand how bad the NBA is this year outside of the top 5-7 teams:lol..

Kawhitstorm
01-31-2016, 09:13 PM
Duncan should have won it in '13, but the Spurs lost the title . . . somehow.

:pop:

dabom
01-31-2016, 09:15 PM
I agree that was Kawhi's MVP that year but the year before had they pulled it off it would have to have been Timmy hands down after that game 6 when he put up 31/17 and then got benched and you know the rest. Kawhi though won that MVP fair and square playing head up with James.

Game six it was Tonys to lose. In game 7 it was Duncans to lose.

Sean Cagney
01-31-2016, 09:22 PM
Game six it was Tonys to lose. In game 7 it was Duncans to lose.

Check his game 6 stats man, Tim was a monster that night. Tony had that flurry though and brought them back in it late I will give you that. It is close though as overall MVP. Game 7 agreed though it was Tims, but there should never have been a damn game 7. They avenged it though, all good.

dabom
01-31-2016, 09:24 PM
I was talking about 1-6 games it was Tony. Game 7 Tim was huge. As soon as Bosh dropped Tim or soemthing, I knew Tim was going to beast but tire himself. That's exactly how it went down too.

Spurs da champs
02-01-2016, 01:13 AM
Well without 'the center of the universe' there who is going to take his place? LMA sat out the entire 2nd quarter last night and that was the game.

Yeah, Lamarcus was playing well till that 3rd horrible foul, didn't see the floor till the 2nd half, lol.

Tho, we cannot deny how bad this team is at protecting the rim without Tim.

Brazil
02-01-2016, 09:34 AM
:lol and still some dumbasses of ST with the meh...his hook shot, his mid range, he should start from the bench... what a bunch of stupid pos

now it's a big no for the asap... rest him till march if needed... we may lose more than we used to but at this point who cares... West is now locked for warriors, try to secure 2nd but no need to run full speed. This team "sadly" needs big old 3 against tough opponents... lets save their legs

weeks
02-01-2016, 12:46 PM
can you imagine an article like this about kobe :lol

Hemotivo
02-02-2016, 08:49 AM

Michael C. Wright
ESPN Staff Writer
CLEVELAND -- San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich leaned against a wall inside Quicken Loans Arena on Saturday before his team’s 117-103 loss to the Cleveland Cavaliers and laid out concerns regarding Tim Duncan's absence from the starting lineup.

“Well, he’s our base from which everything else emanates,” Popovich said. “Everybody else knows how to operate based on where he is and what he does. That’s my biggest concern with the game really is him not being there for everybody to move around because he’s the center of what goes on defensively.

:reading

:tu

look_at_g_shred
02-02-2016, 10:53 PM
Maybe if we were fighting for a playoff spot.

YGWHI
02-03-2016, 02:24 PM

Michael C. Wright
ESPN Staff Writer

I love Tim, without doubts, he's the defensive anchor of the team, but it's so crazy that two of the best defensive coaches in the league can't find a better answer for his absence than to play zone against the Cavs in the whole 3rd quarter.

YGWHI
02-03-2016, 02:26 PM
Don't want to blame Messina for that quarter, but that zone seemed a lot "european"

SAGirl
02-03-2016, 02:36 PM
Don't want to blame Messina for that quarter, but that zone seemed a lot "european"
I think they went to zone after Boban was benched and LMA was in foul trouble. We really didn't have any absolutely any rim protection. I think their hands were tied, and the zone took them by surprise a few posessions. It's just not something you can throw out with any lengthy period of time bc the other coach will figure it out.

Considering our situation, with Tim in the lineup I actually think we win that game.

The worst loss of the season was by far GSW. I don't think even Timmy can save us in that one. The whole team was shaken and too many guys played terrible.

ceperez
02-03-2016, 02:41 PM
I think they went to zone after Boban was benched and LMA was in foul trouble. We really didn't have any absolutely any rim protection. I think their hands were tied, and the zone took them by surprise a few posessions. It's just not something you can throw out with any lengthy period of time bc the other coach will figure it out.

Considering our situation, with Tim in the lineup I actually think we win that game.

The worst loss of the season was by far GSW. I don't think even Timmy can save us in that one. The whole team was shaken and too many guys played terrible.

I don't mind going with the zone occasionally. It can put an offense out of rhythm for a couple of plays.

NameLess Scrub
02-03-2016, 02:42 PM
Thanks for reminding me about '13 :bang

I think Timmy's absence is amplified by the lack of another rim protector,
due to the LMa/West signing.

The team will miss him, but might not look so bad when there's space to have a roster with more than one rim protector big.
(or 1 that can play heavy minutes maybe)

Let Timmy rest and hopefully (big one) he can beast on the POs for his last title run.

SAGirl
02-03-2016, 02:43 PM
I don't mind going with the zone occasionally. It can put an offense out of rhythm for a couple of plays.
For sure and I think it worked for a few plays there. It was just sustained for too long bc of our lack of rim protectors and really Lebron killed us in transition a few plays and Kyrie did Kyrie things. Love getting hot didn't even happen during the zone, and didn't happen when Anderson was guarding him. In the second half, Love actually cooled off.

YGWHI
02-03-2016, 02:52 PM
It's just not something you can throw out with any lengthy period of time bc the other coach will figure it out.
That's what I meant to say with "the whole 3rd quarter" in the previous post.