PDA

View Full Version : Spurs are ranked 26th in 3-point attempts

HarlemHeat37
02-01-2016, 02:21 AM
This is their lowest ranking in 15 years and only the 3rd time in the bottom 5 during the Duncan era(along with 1999 and 2000)..

Do you expect to see more of the same going forward, and do you think they can win a title in today's league without utilising the outside shot?

spurraider21
02-01-2016, 02:57 AM
missing the neal/belinelli role tbh... plus bonner completely out of rotation

apalisoc_9
02-01-2016, 02:59 AM
TD21

Td21 have religiously called for another three pointer the last three months. Its really a combination of personel-style of play etc. I dont think you can compete against golden state in the next three years playing aldridge ball. Sure, they might win one series..maybe, but its unlikely.

The spurs in terms of personel have two natural three pointers who are both struggling. Our best 3 point shooter was once upon a time a 29% man..when one of mills or Green is struggling the three point is almost a non existant threat.

The main problem though is the lack of rollman. Without a rollman, the guys defending the players in the wing can stay at their man and thats usually green and kawhi. Parker is not going to take a three ball from top. TD rolls to the basket but he barely any touches nowadys.

The other issue is aldridge post ups. Essentially you lose the other corner with his post ups and no one double teams him so its hard to generate outside looks, in the few times a defender bites he wont pass the ball.

Bottom line the Corner three is non existant when the team is trying to get aldridge going.

Its by design, all of it. Sad..

SAGirl
02-01-2016, 04:32 AM
Yes, i don't think its even the lack of shooters. We have good shooters but our offensive style doesn't generate sufficient good looks for them. We do get a few every game, but not enough. Of course there are guys who would rather do something else than shoot a 3, and the 4th wing is part of it, but the 4th wing wasn't meant to play major minutes anyways.
Kyle and Simmons need to shoot more 3s, but I have observed they pass up less 3s than they used to, and when they drive they are very efficient, and also they are among the few who in their drives generate a good quality 3 pt shot for someone. Danny needs to be fed a little bit more shots, Kawhi is really the only one taking a healthy dose of 3s and some of his are partially contested, not the best looks. Tony should be shooting more 3s, specially if he's spotted up. Last game against the cavs I saw him pass up at least 2 shots from the 3 pt range that were quality looks generated out of the post up. Maybe you can't have Tony out there if you are running a post centered offense TBH.

Patty is not getting many quality looks either, he's taking too many shots coming off screens and on the move, instead of spotted up. Part of it is Manu's decline, Patty is making more off the dribble plays IMO.

And no, I don't think we win without more 3 pt shooting bc we lack the explosive scoring that allows us to get back into games like CLE. WE lost it but were within 10 points in the 3rd. Heck even in the fourth with Anderson/Simmons/Green we got it close, but we didn't have enough 3 pt shooting (Danny missed 2 transition 3s in that stretch) to close that gap. Anderson and Simmons scored efficiently, but Danny and Patty going AWOL is a problem.

boutons_deux
02-01-2016, 05:55 AM
3G attempts have been replaced with back-downs by Kawhi and LMA. a LOT of backdowns.

ceperez
02-01-2016, 06:23 AM
TD21

Td21 have religiously called for another three pointer the last three months. Its really a combination of personel-style of play etc. I dont think you can compete against golden state in the next three years playing aldridge ball. Sure, they might win one series..maybe, but its unlikely.

The spurs in terms of personel have two natural three pointers who are both struggling. Our best 3 point shooter was once upon a time a 29% man..when one of mills or Green is struggling the three point is almost a non existant threat.

The main problem though is the lack of rollman. Without a rollman, the guys defending the players in the wing can stay at their man and thats usually green and kawhi. Parker is not going to take a three ball from top. TD rolls to the basket but he barely any touches nowadys.

The other issue is aldridge post ups. Essentially you lose the other corner with his post ups and no one double teams him so its hard to generate outside looks, in the few times a defender bites he wont pass the ball.

Bottom line the Corner three is non existant when the team is trying to get aldridge going.

Its by design, all of it. Sad..

I agree, apparently it is by design and not necessity.

There's got to be some method to Pop's madness here.

Spurs have for the longest time competed offensively because of accurate 3 point shooting. To have an offense that primary pounds the ball in the paint is absolutely not going to cut it.

It's just not your observation, the pound the ball in the paint was observed by Van Gundy in the Cavs game.

The old school and slower pace game had an article about it earlier in the season.

Aldridge is not setting screens, there's no pick and roll, no roll man, nothing!

It is frustrating indeed.

DarrinS
02-01-2016, 06:52 AM
3PA are useless if you aren't hitting them at a decent rate. The Spurs should attempt more, since we are second in 3pt%. The scary thing is, GSW are 1st in attempts and %.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
02-01-2016, 08:21 AM
This is their lowest ranking in 15 years and only the 3rd time in the bottom 5 during the Duncan era(along with 1999 and 2000)..

Do you expect to see more of the same going forward, and do you think they can win a title in today's league without utilising the outside shot?

This is by design. The Spurs aren't running a lot of their pick n pop plays or off the ball screen plays this year. Quite honestly, I used to only watch about 30-40 games a year. But his year I have watched every game expect maybe 2 or 3. And yes, the Spurs aren't running their 3 point plays. IMO, that is what's hurting Patty and Green's performances this year.

I do believe Pop will start going back to these in a month or two. It seems like he wants Diaw, LMA, Kawhi, West to develop their post up and jumpshot game in the Spurs system, while he is having guys like Mills, KA, Simmons and Green Penetrate more. The problem is, Simmons Green and Mills are the 3 or the 4 best 3pt shooters on the Spurs. Them going to the hole as oppose to running off of screens to get open for 3 threes, is what is cutting down on their offensive production.

I think Pop demanding each to expand their roles outside of their comfort zone will pay dividends in the long run. But against teams like the Cavs and Warriors, it's hurting them b/c them not shooting those 3s is allowing those teams to clog the paint.

raybies
02-01-2016, 08:36 AM
:wakeup

cd98
02-01-2016, 08:38 AM
We are blowing most teams out of the gym. in facing contenders, I don't think more 3s are necessary to beat the Cavs, but Spurs either need to make more 3s or do a better job of defending the 3 ball against GS.

apalisoc_9
02-01-2016, 09:33 AM
In theory, post play should be able to generate some threes, in reality though, if your big post player never gets doubled, you wont get anything.

The spurs arent getting enough attention in the post to generate threes. Kawhi is the only player that gets doubled. Teams know its a win situation for them to make lamarcus get one on ones

apalisoc_9
02-01-2016, 09:41 AM
The spurs force teams to shoot more twos and have defended threes really well. Its when teams play at their three point pace..that when they get bukaked.

cd98
02-01-2016, 10:05 AM
Are Spurs generating less possessions this year leading to less threes? They've been moving the ball but using most of the shot clock to get the shot they want. If they have less possessions, they'll have less threes.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-01-2016, 10:25 AM
I still say Spurs need to sign another shooter or land one via trade. I know they're second in 3P % but in too many of the bigger games this season the Spurs are absolutely ice cold from outside.

Other teams will be happy to exchange their 3's for the Spurs long 2's.

apalisoc_9
02-01-2016, 10:43 AM
Whats the number 3pa per game against the spurs and the number of 3pa per game against the top 4 teams?..and their percentage..

I'm having trouble finding these on NBA.com but it should give us an idea if the spurs plan is working.

Kawhitstorm
02-01-2016, 11:17 AM
They can easily increase their 3PAs but that currently isn't on the agenda at the moment. Pop is still in his Mad Scientist mode & the fact that they are sitting in no mans land as the 2nd seed has given him leeway to throw shit at the wall & see if it's sticks but I don't blame him b/c that's what the regular season is for as long as the team is winning games they are supposed to win.

Kawhitstorm
02-01-2016, 11:21 AM
The spurs force teams to shoot more twos and have defended threes really well. Its when teams play at their three point pace..that when they get bukaked.

Spurs get killed in transition off bricks/turnovers & the team depending on 3 point shooting almost cost them the series against the Mavs (2014) along w/ actually losing against the Cripples (2015).

They aren't beating the Worriers shooting 3s so might as well work on their isolation sets. The Worries essentially play the same defensive schemes the 2014 Mavs used except they have much better personnel.:lol

Besides, to beat the Worriers the Spurs have to punish them when they turn the ball over while taking care of the ball themselves along w/ LMA sticking to his patented right shoulder fadeaway or pounding the offensive glass (that's where he can take advantage of his height) rather than trying to go middle w/ three dribbles.:lol

spursfanincolorado
02-01-2016, 12:38 PM
I remember years past where everyone here would bitch "live by the three, die by the three"

like it was some kind of thing to avoid.

I am sick of seeing ghost picks from Aldridge. He is soft as baby shit when it comes to that.

Couple that with his weak fall away shot and if he pump fakes to try and foul the defender moves back for a bullshit shot.

I know Aldridge has nothing to do with the three point attempts.
Oh, wait he does! The pick can generate enough space for a pull-up three perhaps??

smh

need Mills and Verde to pull their heads out of their asses, too

ElNono
02-01-2016, 12:50 PM
The fact that is "attempted" just points out to philosophy, IMO.

As I've been saying since the season started, adding more shooters won't make an iota of difference if the team philosophy is to overwhelm people inside (from penetration, P&R, P&P or post play, etc). We have shooters, I don't think I've seen them afraid to shoot the 3 ball either, we've just not made the 3 ball one of our priorities on offense. Whether it is because we're trying to acclimate two new guys that play inside a lot (LMA/West) or simply because Pop feels we have a sizeable advantage inside with Duncan/LMA, I don't know.

We have one of the best made % from 3 in the league, so that can't be a reason not to increase attempts.

It will be hard to win *if* our defense slips the way it has slipped without TD out there in the last week, although the argument can be made we won't win if TD is injured/hurt generally anyways.

ceperez
02-01-2016, 02:27 PM
I remember years past where everyone here would bitch "live by the three, die by the three"

like it was some kind of thing to avoid.

I am sick of seeing ghost picks from Aldridge. He is soft as baby shit when it comes to that.

Couple that with his weak fall away shot and if he pump fakes to try and foul the defender moves back for a bullshit shot.

I know Aldridge has nothing to do with the three point attempts.
Oh, wait he does! The pick can generate enough space for a pull-up three perhaps??

smh

need Mills and Verde to pull their heads out of their asses, too

Exactly, not only are the 3 point shots not available, the lane isn't as open also.

SAGirl
02-01-2016, 02:31 PM
3PA are useless if you aren't hitting them at a decent rate. The Spurs should attempt more, since we are second in 3pt%. The scary thing is, GSW are 1st in attempts and %.
That is part of GSW boasting that they will win easy. The statement "it is all in the math."

YGWHI
02-01-2016, 03:07 PM
Are Spurs generating less possessions this year leading to less threes? They've been moving the ball but using most of the shot clock to get the shot they want. If they have less possessions, they'll have less threes.

Well, most people here ask why the Spurs slow the pace, they need to switch to a faster style to match GSW...blah blah blah.

But it's almost suicide to try to match GSW at their own pace...so if they have less possessions/ threes sounds reasonable.

YGWHI
02-01-2016, 03:14 PM
They can easily increase their 3PAs but that currently isn't on the agenda at the moment. Pop is still in his Mad Scientist mode & the fact that they are sitting in no mans land as the 2nd seed has given him leeway to throw shit at the wall & see if it's sticks but I don't blame him b/c that's what the regular season is for as long as the team is winning games they are supposed to win.

Agree. Until after the rodeo trip we won't see the final form of Spurs game...Historically, they have been an entirely different team after those games on the road.

SpursFan86
02-01-2016, 03:19 PM
Pace isn't really an excuse - Spurs are also 26th in 3-point attempt rate (3PA per FGA). They're just not shooting many 3's period.

Anyways, there was a topic on here a little while back about this and I agreed with the idea that our lack of 3-point shooting is a concern. Two of our best volume 3-point shooters have struggled this year (Green/Mills). Kawhi has shown a big improvement in this aspect, but I still don't feel too comfortable counting on him to shoot well over 40+% in the playoffs. Manu's deep shot seems to be really inconsistent and I'm not sure how much I trust him to have his legs under him all season + playoffs. Guys like Parker/Diaw/Simmons might be shooting well from outside, but they're shooting so few 3's that it's hard to really count them as threats from beyond the arch.

If Green/Mills can both shoot 40+%, that'd help a good amount. But I still agree with the notion that we could really use another high volume 3-point shooter off the bench. I was also hoping Aldridge would at least match his production from beyond the arch last year, but apparently the Spurs aren't interested in utilizing that for whatever reason so expecting that to change at this point is unrealistic.

I know people here love the idea of the Spurs bucking the trend and doing things their own way, but I'm not sure how comfortable I feel going up against GS in a series when they're outscoring us by double digits every game from the 3-point line.

tmtcsc
02-01-2016, 03:25 PM

Well, the Spurs have their best record after 47 games, lead the league in point differential and crush just about everybody not from Cleveland or Oakland. That being said, I'm sure the Spurs would like for Danny and Patty to do their jobs and hit the open 3's. When they do, the Spurs are very hard to compete with, much less beat.

I see the Spurs needing to improve in games against quality opponents on the road and also getting more consistent play from Green and Mills. I don't think there is anything wrong with what the Spurs are trying to incorporate. They just aren't shooting well. There is lots of room for improvement. Lamarcus needs to play bigger in big games and the Spurs need to play better defense too. That means having a healthy TD in the middle.

GSH
02-01-2016, 04:44 PM
Do you understand the effect pace has on attempts per game?
Did you even notice that the Spurs are #1 in the league for fewest OPPONENT 3PA per game?
Or that they are 4th in the league for fewest opponent FGA per game?

Yes, the Spurs are taking fewer 3-pointers than last year. If Danny was hitting his shots, they probably would have taken more. But I remember people here bitching about Spurs teams taking too many 3's, and saying things like, "You live by the 3, you die by the 3." Can't have it both ways.

TD 21
02-01-2016, 08:10 PM
I said it early in the season: It's their Achilles heel. The unsustainable defense blinded people and when people did focus on it, they focused on the percentage and not the volume.

I don't expect a change this year, since the personnel more than likely isn't going to. If/when it costs them against the Thunder/Warriors/Cavs in the playoffs, I expect it to be a significant focus in the summer though, particularly between Aldridge and whoever the fourth wing is.

If any team could win a championship without volume three-point or free-throw shooting, it's probably this one, but I don't know if it can be done. I haven't looked into it, but I'm guessing no team, at least in recent history, has done so.

GSH
02-01-2016, 08:42 PM
I said it early in the season: It's their Achilles heel. The unsustainable defense blinded people and when people did focus on it, they focused on the percentage and not the volume.

I don't expect a change this year, since the personnel more than likely isn't going to. If/when it costs them against the Thunder/Warriors/Cavs in the playoffs, I expect it to be a significant focus in the summer though, particularly between Aldridge and whoever the fourth wing is.

If any team could win a championship without volume three-point or free-throw shooting, it's probably this one, but I don't know if it can be done. I haven't looked into it, but I'm guessing no team, at least in recent history, has done so.

Well if the defense really is unsustainable, that's probably valid. Until Duncan went down, I didn't think it was unsustainable. Now I'm doubtful that they can keep it up. SpursFan86 mentioned 3PA/FGA. That's the stat that shows their shot distribution - not their raw number of 3PA. And, yeah, that's pretty light.

That being said...

What team do you think has the most FGA's per 100 possessions? Yep, the Spurs.
The most FGM per 100 possessions? The Spurs.

The real problem for the Spurs is that the numbers 2,3, and 4 teams are the Warriors, Thunder, and Cavs. And THEY put up a lot more 3-pointers per 100 possessions than the Spurs. That represents probably +5-6 PPG in those teams' favors. The other teams in the league, the Spurs' shot distribution is fine for.

That means that the Spurs are either going to have to put up more 3's against those three teams, or they would have to be able to stifle them with superior defense. As of now, they can't do the latter. And, yeah, if it's putting up more 3's, they have to make some of them.

My point is, the Spurs are putting up enough 3-pointers to sustain their record. But against the 3 other top-tier teams in the league, their shot distribution puts them at a disadvantage.

dabom
02-01-2016, 08:51 PM
Well if the defense really is unsustainable, that's probably valid. Until Duncan went down, I didn't think it was unsustainable. Now I'm doubtful that they can keep it up. SpursFan86 mentioned 3PA/FGA. That's the stat that shows their shot distribution - not their raw number of 3PA. And, yeah, that's pretty light.

That being said...

What team do you think has the most FGA's per 100 possessions? Yep, the Spurs.
The most FGM per 100 possessions? The Spurs.

The real problem for the Spurs is that the numbers 2,3, and 4 teams are the Warriors, Thunder, and Cavs. And THEY put up a lot more 3-pointers per 100 possessions than the Spurs. That represents probably +5-6 PPG in those teams' favors. The other teams in the league, the Spurs' shot distribution is fine for.

That means that the Spurs are either going to have to put up more 3's against those three teams, or they would have to be able to stifle them with superior defense. As of now, they can't do the latter. And, yeah, if it's putting up more 3's, they have to make some of them.

My point is, the Spurs are putting up enough 3-pointers to sustain their record. But against the 3 other top-tier teams in the league, their shot distribution puts them at a disadvantage.

You kinda forget we defend the 3 like no other team. Evens out in the long run. I guess people forget adding defense into the discussion. :lmao

GSH
02-01-2016, 08:57 PM
You kinda forget we defend the 3 like no other team. Evens out in the long run. I guess people forget adding defense into the discussion. :lmao

I mentioned the defense in the first three sentences. You kinda forget how to read.

dabom
02-01-2016, 09:01 PM
I mentioned the defense in the first three sentences. You kinda forget how to read.

But their offense is?

I read it. Just makes no fucking sense when saw it. You give them the benefit of the doubt but not us and you then make your judgement off of that biased take faggot. :lmao

GSH
02-01-2016, 09:10 PM
But their offense is?

I read it. Just makes no fucking sense when saw it. You give them the benefit of the doubt but not us and you then make your judgement off of that biased take faggot. :lmao

Sorry, I forgot you can't understand anything but emotes. What I should have said was: I don't think their defense is good enough without Duncan in the middle, and Dabom is a dumbshit. :nutkick:

There... now even you can understand it.

GSH
02-01-2016, 09:13 PM
You give them the benefit of the doubt but not us

Oh, and I didn't give anyone the "benefit of the doubt". He raised a valid point, and I acknowledged it. Unlike you, I don't keep clinging to something I said, if someone says something better.

Learn from it. :baby

dabom
02-01-2016, 09:26 PM
I'm eating right now so ima let you slide on this one.

Mnky
02-01-2016, 09:33 PM
Sorry, I forgot you can't understand anything but emotes. What I should have said was: I don't think their defense is good enough without Duncan in the middle, and Dabom is a dumbshit. :nutkick:

There... now even you can understand it.

:lol emote 4 the win tbh.

GSH
02-01-2016, 10:32 PM
I'm eating right now so ima let you slide on this one.

Ima try and make this easy for you:

The Spurs are shooting a LOT fewer 3's than most teams. They can still win, IMO, if they play good enough D and limit their opponents' 3P attempts. With Duncan out, I don't think they can play good enough defense to do that. So the original point that the Spurs need to shoot (and hit) more 3-pointers is probably valid.

I disagreed at first, but didn't take Duncan into account. After he brought that up, I had to change my mind. I don't think they are going to be able to focus on running people off the 3P line as well as they were when Duncan was on the floor. And as a result they will probably need a little more "juice" in their offensive game, in the form of more 3PA's per possession.

Still just one guy's opinion, and worth what you pay for it.

YGWHI
02-18-2016, 05:06 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cbc3QxwWcAAkJiB.png

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbcGqRhWcAM1feP.png

http://nyloncalculus.com/2016/02/17/charting-3-and-d-ness/

Good to see Kawhi, Manu, Patty, Danny and Simms there but Warriors still have four players over our guys and the Spurs have only one over them.

HarlemHeat37
02-18-2016, 05:13 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cbc3QxwWcAAkJiB.png

http://nyloncalculus.com/2016/02/17/charting-3-and-d-ness/

Good to see Kawhi, Manu, Patty, Danny and Simms there but Warriors still have four players over our guys and the Spurs have only one over them.

Warriors have 2 that are > league average 3s and DRPM..Spurs have 2, as well..

Kawhitstorm
02-18-2016, 05:34 PM

"Klay Thompson is an ELITE defender"- (c) Media

ceperez
02-18-2016, 05:47 PM

Do you even know how to read this chart?!

TD 21
02-18-2016, 05:49 PM

The majority of the media knows next to nothing about team defense. All you have to do is pull a Vujacic (or Bryant, when the spirit moves him) and appear to be hounding an opposing ball handler and they automatically think you're a good defender, particularly if you look the part, like Simmons.

Kawhitstorm
02-18-2016, 07:10 PM
Do you even know how to read this chart?!

Big Dummy, you missed the part about how I was mocking the media.:wakeup

YGWHI
09-25-2016, 01:49 AM
Not bad at all...

SPURt
09-25-2016, 09:04 AM
Not bad at all...

That's interesting! I never would've pegged the Bullets to lead the league. Also it shows the Warriors were taking bad shots and making them.

Spurtacular
09-25-2016, 02:51 PM
I've found the Spurs lack of three point shooting trend somewhat disturbing. I think Pop is trying to take advantage of a high percentage shot vs. low percentage shot model, though.

Solid D
09-25-2016, 04:19 PM
Yes, it was a bit concerning last season. It made it tough against teams like the Warriors and OKC, and probably the Cavs, too, the way they shot 3s in the playoffs.

True, the Spurs were a mid-range game team. They shot a great percentage, both from the arc and inside the arc. Their PACE was tied for 25th.

The reason the Spurs won 67 games last season was they were #1 in team defensive rating. They led the +/- stats most of the year until the end of the season where they ended up 2nd at +10.6 to the Warriors +10.8. So, can the Spurs beat the Warriors with that? They only did once last season. This season may be different. We can't say the Spurs haven't targeted 3-point shooters in the offseason. Even Pau started shooting about 1 per game last season. So maybe those numbers will change somewhat this season. They still won't come close to the Warriors' 13 attempts/game, if GS repeats that trend...but, that's because I don't see the Spurs changing their PACE dramatically.

TD 21
09-25-2016, 04:49 PM
That's interesting! I never would've pegged the Bullets to lead the league. Also it shows the Warriors were taking bad shots and making them.

I'm not surprised. Wall is the best in the league at driving and kicking.

Yes, it was a bit concerning last season. It made it tough against teams like the Warriors and OKC, and probably the Cavs, too, the way they shot 3s in the playoffs.

True, the Spurs were a mid-range game team. They shot a great percentage, both from the arc and inside the arc. Their PACE was tied for 25th.

The reason the Spurs won 67 games last season was they were #1 in team defensive rating. They led the +/- stats most of the year until the end of the season where they ended up 2nd at +10.6 to the Warriors +10.8. So, can the Spurs beat the Warriors with that? They only did once last season. This season may be different. We can't say the Spurs haven't targeted 3-point shooters in the offseason. Even Pau started shooting about 1 per game last season. So maybe those numbers will change somewhat this season. They still won't come close to the Warriors' 13 attempts/game, if GS repeats that trend...but, that's because I don't see the Spurs changing their PACE dramatically.

It was a massive concern and it will be again because until proven otherwise, they have not added a single decent or better, high volume three-point shooter, to the rotation.

The Warriors can't be beaten without an explosive offense. The Spurs played impeccable defense in the two home games last season, yet still barely managed to pull out the first (Warriors were 2nd night of back to back, without Bogut and Iguodala, plus Spurs had motivational advantage, having been blown out by 30 in previous meeting) and lost the second in an inevitable few minute flurry where the Warriors got loose.

Not only is having to play hyper focused defense for 48 minutes physically and mentally exhausting, but it hurts the offense too.

Solid D
09-25-2016, 05:08 PM
I'm not surprised. Wall is the best in the league at driving and kicking.

It was a massive concern and it will be again because until proven otherwise, they have not added a single decent or better, high volume three-point shooter, to the rotation.

The Warriors can't be beaten without an explosive offense. The Spurs played impeccable defense in the two home games last season, yet still barely managed to pull out the first (Warriors were 2nd night of back to back, without Bogut and Iguodala, plus Spurs had motivational advantage, having been blown out by 30 in previous meeting) and lost the second in an inevitable few minute flurry where the Warriors got loose.

Not only is having to play hyper focused defense for 48 minutes physically and mentally exhausting, but it hurts the offense too.

If explosive offense = shooting 13 threes/game, (not really, but) then that won't be the Spurs. But, I don't think you are saying that. Being efficient in the trips they have will certainly help and defending 48 minutes will require a great bench effort...and who knows how that will turn out this early in the process? But injuries happen and opportunities arise in any sport. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

TD 21
09-25-2016, 06:58 PM
If explosive offense = shooting 13 threes/game, (not really, but) then that won't be the Spurs. But, I don't think you are saying that. Being efficient in the trips they have will certainly help and defending 48 minutes will require a great bench effort...and who knows how that will turn out this early in the process? But injuries happen and opportunities arise in any sport. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

They were 3rd in efficiency last season, but they lacked the ability to go off for a bunch of points in a short burst. Against the contenders, they struggled mightily to blow games and make up big deficits.

Considering they're back to playing at a glacial pace and can't get to the line to save their lives, volume three-point shooting is a must.

MaNu4Tres
09-25-2016, 07:06 PM
They were 3rd in efficiency last season, but they lacked the ability to go off for a bunch of points in a short burst. Against the contenders, they struggled mightily to blow games and make up big deficits.

Considering they're back to playing at a glacial pace and can't get to the line to save their lives, volume three-point shooting is a must.

Volume three point shooting won't be there unless the bigs dive in PnRs -- its the action that opens up the weakside of the floor. It's the action that makes passing an important weapon as the defense has to move, bend and break. With the pick and Pop long 2 action ( which we saw a TON last year with Aldridge/West + TDs and Boris' decline to dive effectively), passing or swinging the ball to the weakside isn't as potent as the weakside spot up shooters are typically guarded by balanced defenders instead of being guarded by a late or off balanced close out.

I'm surprised people still ignore this after I've posted about it ad nauseam.

Adding just another shooter won't increase the attempts, unless the actions in the offense change to more of the 13'-15' style. Having Dedmon take on Wests' minutes should increase the attempts -- especially for the 2nd unit.

TD 21
09-25-2016, 07:25 PM
Volume three point shooting won't be there unless the bigs dive in PnRs -- its the action that opens up the weakside of the floor. It's the action that makes passing an important weapon as the defense has to move, bend and break. With the pick and Pop long 2 action ( which we saw a TON last year with Aldridge/West + TDs and Boris' decline to dive effectively), passing or swinging the ball to the weakside isn't as potent as the weakside spot up shooters are typically guarded by balanced defenders instead of being guarded by a late or off balanced close out.

Adding just another shooter won't increase the attempts, unless the actions in the offense change to more of the 13'-15' style. Having Dedmon take on Wests' minutes should increase the attempts -- especially for the 2nd unit.

I know, but volume three-point shooters are still required. Even when they had it, Parker and Diaw, despite the decent or better percentages, didn't take many. I realize that was mostly when Parker was still an elite breakdown player and they needed him to be the primary creator (still do actually, he's just no longer capable), but still.

We'll see with Anderson and Simmons, but at this writing, it's not exactly their specialty either.

Solid D
09-25-2016, 07:28 PM

You make a fair point if volume three-point shooting includes accuracy.

TD 21
09-25-2016, 07:32 PM
You make a fair point if volume three-point shooting includes accuracy.

Obviously, that's ideal, but either way, a team that's bottom 5 or 6 in attempts can't win a championship in this era.

SAGirl
09-25-2016, 07:40 PM

Good post. You have educated me on that point long ago, and I am a believer.
The starting lineup just needs Danny to be back to himself. 10% less on his percentages at the volume he shoots is a big difference over the course of a season. Not much can be done about Tony I guess, but I don't want to deviate into a Tony thread.

YGWHI
09-25-2016, 11:44 PM
The starting lineup just needs Danny to be back to himself. 10% less on his percentages at the volume he shoots is a big difference over the course of a season.

I hope you're right.

But three of Spurs' five best players are over 35 years old, their best guard and playmaker is 39 years old...I wouldn't expect this team can run or have a high success rate on drive & kicks.

That's why in today era of three-point shooting and fast-paced teams, the Spurs are a mid-range team ranked T-25th in pace last season. They have no other alternative but to post-up, slow the pace, and hit mid-js.

BillMc
09-26-2016, 01:00 AM
I hope you're right.

But three of Spurs' five best players are over 35 years old, their best guard and playmaker is 39 years old...I wouldn't expect this team can run or have a high success rate on drive & kicks.

That's why in today era of three-point shooting and fast-paced teams, the Spurs are a mid-range team ranked T-25th in pace last season. They have no other alternative but to post-up, slow the pace, and hit mid-js.

Which three of our Top 5 are over 35? I assume you mean Pau, Manu and Parker (34, and will be 35 in the playoffs if we have a decent run)

That said, I agree with your point.

YGWHI
09-26-2016, 01:20 AM
Which three of our Top 5 are over 35? I assume you mean Pau, Manu and Parker (34, and will be 35 in the playoffs if we have a decent run)

:tu

Yes, Manu, Parker and Pau, that's what I meant.

YGWHI
09-26-2016, 01:29 AM

Sorry, I forgot to say thanks for posting Parker's current age.

SAGirl
09-26-2016, 02:29 AM
I hope you're right.

Pop had choice this season to go in another direction with a different big than Pau, but chose Pau bc no one is going to beat the dubs at their own game. It's a thing beyond aging once Tim retired. Now Pop was deliberate in team construction. I guess he deems the dubs too good at what they do and Pop is not going down that road with them. He's a defensive minded coach and if GSW thrive in transition and taking shots early in the clock to create havock then Pop needs to go the other way to take them out of their own game. It's more than just about youth. No one is going to beat the dubs Dantoni style.

The presence of Pau also provides the team in general with a 3rd veteran scoring option to mix and match with the bench if they are struggling, so it all points to Pop looking for others to shoulder the burden in the bench. If Manu is among the team's best 5 players they are in trouble. You can quote me on that right now and I was stating that all season too. Not a knock on Manu but it's just a reflection of Spurs others need to step up. They need Kawhi/LMA/Pau/Danny/Tony to be their best players, with an assortment of bench players adding variety. Now of course a whole lot of fans have doubts Simmons, Anderson and Dedmon can shoulder the bunch burden, but they must and I believe they can. It's going to take a village, but I am optimistic about the team. Now obviously if Pop goes same old, same old, then he will get the same old, same old results. Sometimes (ok often) I am pessimistic about Pop, but I believe Manu's impending retirement and age is going to push him to innovate and look to others more in the bench and he should also be pushing Kawhi to get more of the burden on offense to create, specially in the 4th Q.

BillMc
09-26-2016, 06:59 AM
Sorry, I forgot to say thanks for posting Parker's current age.

No thanks needed bro. :toast

BillMc
09-26-2016, 07:07 AM
. No one is going to beat the dubs Dantoni style.

If Manu is among the team's best 5 players they are in trouble. You can quote me on that right now and I was stating that all season too. Not a knock on Manu but it's just a reflection of Spurs others need to step up. They need Kawhi/LMA/Pau/Danny/Tony to be their best players, with an assortment of bench players adding variety.

I agree no one is going to beat Dubs like that. Pop is probably looking to beat them with size. Our Frontcourt it truly ferocious and I think Pop hopes that the dubs will have a hard time with the skill and size of Pau, LMA and Kawhi. Hopefully Draymond will look small and Durant thin and brittle. We'll see. It may not work but it is a real strategy. Go with what makes you the best team not necessarily the best match-up. Very few teams should have a prayer against our frontcourt.

I agree that it would be best for the team if Manu were not in our top 5. Ideally the crew you mention (our starters) would be the 5 best and someone on the bench would play well enough that Manu is not automatically the bench savior. We will see who can step up to that position if anyone. Manu is here now for his leadership more than anything, we really need a "new bench" playmaker to emerge this season.

All this is obvious. In summary, my hope is 1) Pop can stay big this season against the Dubs and everyone else. 2) we find someone as good as old Manu among our bench guys to phase him out. Obviously, no one will match prime Manu or even 2014 Manu, but someone who can take the baton into the future.

Kawhitstorm
09-26-2016, 09:39 AM

You can still generate 3s without a roll man, just look at the 2010 Lakers who matched the Suns output in the WCF after the Suns had bombed out the Spurs/Blazers w/ 3s. ('09-'10 Suns had a BETTER ORtg than the '15-'16 Duds) As I also mentioned in another post, the current Spurs have a personnel similar to the 2008-10 Lakers except for Porker not being a catch-and-shoot threat like Fisher which screws up the spacing.

This is why George Hill would have been a much better fit than Porker since he's an elite catch-and-shoot PG ala Patty but can actually handle his assignment on the other end. He could have also been used similar to how the Mavs used Terry by letting him run PnPs w/ LMA or just spot up. It would also alleviate Kawhi from having to guard the likes of WestBrick. (MVP Kirby was atrocious in the 2008 Finals when he had to guard Pierce for 48 minutes)

Bottom line is that either Porker has to turn a catch-and-shoot threat or the team has to find another PG who can do the job even if it means moving Patty. (Why did Darren Collison have to hit his wife....?:bang)

SAGirl
09-29-2016, 09:42 PM
hmmm is this Lamarcus 3 pt shooting?

tonight...you
09-29-2016, 09:53 PM
hmmm is this Lamarcus 3 pt shooting?
I don't like his form, nor his movement.

DMC
09-29-2016, 10:02 PM
With Steph and Klay and KD out there, you're going to have a hard time out 3pt shooting them. In fact, many teams now have better 3pt shooters than the Spurs. At least the mid range gives guys time to get back on defense and a remote chance at an offensive board if they crashed the boards. Long 3's are long rebounds and often fast breaks with Tony Parker trying to defend the break, and Danny having to chase someone down.

tonight...you
09-29-2016, 10:07 PM
With Steph and Klay and KD out there, you're going to have a hard time out 3pt shooting them. In fact, many teams now have better 3pt shooters than the Spurs. At least the mid range gives guys time to get back on defense and a remote chance at an offensive board if they crashed the boards. Long 3's are long rebounds and often fast breaks with Tony Parker trying to defend the break, and Danny having to chase someone down.
I am increasingly thinking it would be wisest to start reviving the Bad Boys when it comes to them. Go Michael Jordan Rules. Get in their heads, even when you play straight. With Pops' heavy rotation habits in the RS- I would think about employing a more heavy handed defense, so to speak and getting the refs used to what the team just... does.

I don't know... just a thought.

SAGirl
09-29-2016, 10:26 PM
I am increasingly thinking it would be wisest to start reviving the Bad Boys when it comes to them. Go Michael Jordan Rules. Get in their heads, even when you play straight. With Pops' heavy rotation habits in the RS- I would think about employing a more heavy handed defense, so to speak and getting the refs used to what the team just... does.

Not the Spurs style, but watching the training camp photos, I think Pop will go with the twin towers and see where that takes them.

Also I wonder at all those photos of Kawhi with the bench. There is a lot of experimentation early I am guessing but I have a suspicion that maybe will make Kiwi fans upset, mind you this is not my idea. It's just an observation. With no dominant bench player and Kyle still having to prove he can be that guy, Pop may just simply bring Kawhi out early in the game and sub him back in with the bench players. Basically Kawhi still plays a lot of minutes but a good amount helping the bench. Kyle plays with the starters some minutes who have scoring options and don't need to rely on him to be playing above his big head (joke for the haters bc heh!).

It's anyone's guess how Pop will deal with the bench, but they can survive for a long season with a committee approach. The playoffs are different. The argument could be made had Pop staggered the few minutes Kyle did see in the playoffs with the starters so that the bench was not so devoid in scoring power and creation, having Kawhi help the bench out, maybe they don't sink last playoffs. Technically it was just 8 minutes and Kyle's defense on Durant wasn't the problematic issue, it was the entirety of bench scoring. Maybe Kyle could have helped or not. I think his lack of a 3 pt shot was a problem, but also the entire bench was really disfunctional. Kyle shooting the 3 makes him able to fit with other lineups more and space the floor for other ppl, but the bench needs shot creation more than 3 pt shooting if we are honest.

Here's the photos:
http://i.cdn.turner.com/drp/nba/spurs/sites/default/files/styles/main_gallery_photo__480_tall/public/img_5987.jpg?itok=aHY6HPaQ
http://i.cdn.turner.com/drp/nba/spurs/sites/default/files/styles/main_gallery_photo__480_tall/public/img_5998.jpg?itok=VkIh3kKJ

Initially I thought Pop was testing the viability of perimeter based bench lineups to even start, bc if they don't work out with Kawhi, how can Pop expect them to work out with Kyle or Bertans? Then it occurred to me that to make the scrimmages more competitive Pop has to split the stars up a little bc Manu is no longer who he was. Why would Kawhi be the bench anchor? It has to be significant.

YGWHI had his ideas, like establishing the PnR and PnP game with Tony without Kawhi's presence, but really the answer must involve several factors, including the reconstituted bench.

All of these are just musings, interesting observations, nothing more. I guess they could spark debate (or trolling). Common here both.

tonight...you
09-29-2016, 10:34 PM
Not the Spurs style, but watching the training camp photos, I think Pop will go with the twin towers and see where that takes them.

Also I wonder at all those photos of Kawhi with the bench. There is a lot of experimentation early I am guessing but I have a suspicion that maybe will make Kiwi fans upset, mind you this is not my idea. It's just an observation. With no dominant bench player and Kyle still having to prove he can be that guy, Pop may just simply bring Kawhi out early in the game and sub him back in with the bench players. Basically Kawhi still plays a lot of minutes but a good amount helping the bench. Kyle plays with the starters some minutes who have scoring options and don't need to rely on him to be playing above his big head (joke for the haters bc heh!). I

t's anyone's guess how Pop will deal with the bench, but they can survive for a long season with a committee approach. The playoffs are different. The argument could be made had Pop staggered the few minutes Kyle did see in the playoffs with the starters so that the bench was not so devoid in scoring power and creation, having Kawhi help the bench out, maybe they don't sink last playoffs. Technically it was just 8 minutes and Kyle's defense on Durant wasn't the problematic issue, it was the entirety of bench scoring. Maybe Kyle could have helped or not. I think his lack of a 3 pt shot was a problem, but also the entire bench was really disfunctional. Kyle shooting the 3 makes him able to fit with other lineups more and space the floor for other ppl, but the bench needs shot creation more than 3 pt shooting if we are honest.

Here's the photos:
http://i.cdn.turner.com/drp/nba/spurs/sites/default/files/styles/main_gallery_photo__480_tall/public/img_5987.jpg?itok=aHY6HPaQ
http://i.cdn.turner.com/drp/nba/spurs/sites/default/files/styles/main_gallery_photo__480_tall/public/img_5998.jpg?itok=VkIh3kKJ

Initially I thought Pop was testing the viability of perimeter based bench lineups to even start, bc if they don't work out with Kawhi, how can Pop expect them to work out with Kyle or Bertans. Then it occurred to me that to make the scrimmages more competitive Pop has to split the stars up a little bc Manu is no longer who he was. Why would Kawhi be the bench anchor? It has to be significant.

YGWI had his ideas, like establishing the PnR and PnP game with Tony without Kawhi's presence, but really the answer must involve several factors, including the reconstituted bench.

All of these are just musings, interesting observations, nothing more. I guess they could spark debate (or trolling). Common here both.

Let me preface this with: I'm tired and skimmed through your post. No offense. I just want to talk about Pop and what he's willing to do.

ANYTHING.

He went from the Twin Towers and the High-Low to the 4-Down. From Bowen funneling to Timmy to Team D on a wire. From simple stuff on offense to The Beautiful Game.
Pop, if he sees that he needs to go Pat Riley on a certain team, I could see him possibly going for it, in the playoffs. And that requires setting a tone from the beginning of the season.

Just my wildness coming out here... I don't expect my words to happen, but I could see them happening.

SAGirl
09-29-2016, 10:37 PM
Let me preface this with: I'm tired and skimmed through your post. No offense. I just want to talk about Pop and what he's willing to do.

ANYTHING.

He went from the Twin Towers and the High-Low to the 4-Down. From Bowen funneling to Timmy to Team D on a wire. From simple stuff on offense to The Beautiful Game.
Pop, if he sees that he needs to go Pat Riley on a certain team, I could see him possibly going for it, in the playoffs. And that requires setting a tone from the beginning of the season.

Just my wildness coming out here... I don't expect my words to happen, but I could see them happening.
:lol hmmm ok. I can see you tired and cranky. lol ... I don't know. Spurs don't have a player like that begin with IMO. (I don't know Dedmon though)

tonight...you
09-29-2016, 10:40 PM
:lol hmmm ok. I can see you tired and cranky. lol ... I don't know. Spurs don't have a player like that begin with IMO. (I don't know Dedmon though)
You don't have to be a "goon" to follow a gameplan/order. Every player there will throw a hard foul down, if told.

sasaint
09-29-2016, 11:16 PM

Also I wonder at all those photos of Kawhi with the bench. There is a lot of experimentation early I am guessing but I have a suspicion that maybe will make Kiwi fans upset, mind you this is not my idea. It's just an observation. With no dominant bench player and Kyle still having to prove he can be that guy, Pop may just simply bring Kawhi out early in the game and sub him back in with the bench players. Basically Kawhi still plays a lot of minutes but a good amount helping the bench. Kyle plays with the starters some minutes who have scoring options and don't need to rely on him to be playing above his big head (joke for the haters bc heh!).

It's anyone's guess how Pop will deal with the bench, but they can survive for a long season with a committee approach. The playoffs are different. The argument could be made had Pop staggered the few minutes Kyle did see in the playoffs with the starters so that the bench was not so devoid in scoring power and creation, having Kawhi help the bench out, maybe they don't sink last playoffs. Technically it was just 8 minutes and Kyle's defense on Durant wasn't the problematic issue, it was the entirety of bench scoring. Maybe Kyle could have helped or not. I think his lack of a 3 pt shot was a problem, but also the entire bench was really disfunctional. Kyle shooting the 3 makes him able to fit with other lineups more and space the floor for other ppl, but the bench needs shot creation more than 3 pt shooting if we are honest.

Here's the photos:

Initially I thought Pop was testing the viability of perimeter based bench lineups to even start, bc if they don't work out with Kawhi, how can Pop expect them to work out with Kyle or Bertans? Then it occurred to me that to make the scrimmages more competitive Pop has to split the stars up a little bc Manu is no longer who he was. Why would Kawhi be the bench anchor? It has to be significant.

YGWHI had his ideas, like establishing the PnR and PnP game with Tony without Kawhi's presence, but really the answer must involve several factors, including the reconstituted bench.

Who is that leaving Kawhi behind in the first pic?

sasaint
09-29-2016, 11:22 PM

ANYTHING.

Indeed, Pop has shown pretty remarkable ability to adapt to changing personnel from season to season. Ironically, while he goes mad scientist during the season especially prior to the All-Star break, he becomes pretty rigid within each new system during the latter part of the season and the playoffs.

SAGirl
09-29-2016, 11:29 PM
Who is that leaving Kawhi behind in the first pic?
Tony coming off a pick from Pau.
It is early really to comment on this, maybe I jumped the gun. I guess we will see more and eventually the playoffs will show all there is to show.
The benefit of a youngish team is that guys have upside and things can change later in the season from where they started but I found it really curious Kawhi was playing with the bench.

SAGirl
09-29-2016, 11:39 PM
Indeed, Pop has shown pretty remarkable ability to adapt to changing personnel from season to season. Ironically, while he goes mad scientist during the season especially prior to the All-Star break, he becomes pretty rigid within each new system during the latter part of the season and the playoffs.
Obviously haven't followed the team as long, but I think he finds whatever works the best for his particular team and once he believes he found the best version of the team, he does stick rigidly to what works. He's had Manu and Diaw who he can move to start if he feels he needs them, but they were established commodities and those are no longer options (Diaw gone, Manu on minutes restrictions is now truly realistically a strict bench player). Beyond that others can school me, I haven't known the Spurs long, and I think it's an interesting subject.

All of these are more observations from my part at any rate, nothing I am arguing, or debating or making a contested hot take about.

dabom
09-29-2016, 11:47 PM
God people are fucking retarded. Kawhi not playing with the starters cause that's fucking rape. You have to even teams up. It's training camp for fucks sake. No need to get all fucking retarded about it. :lmao

sasaint
09-29-2016, 11:51 PM
Obviously haven't followed the team as long, but I think he finds whatever works the best for his particular team and once he believes he found the best version of the team, he does stick rigidly to what works. He's had Manu and Diaw who he can move to start if he feels he needs them, but they were established commodities and those are no longer options (Diaw gone, Manu on minutes restrictions is now truly realistically a strict bench player). Beyond that others can school me, I haven't known the Spurs long, and I think it's an interesting subject.

All of these are more observations from my part at any rate, nothing I am arguing, or debating or making a contested hot take about.

:lol You can dispense with the disclaimers with me. I won't call you out for expressing an opinion without advertising it as such. :lol

SAGirl
09-30-2016, 12:15 AM
:lol You can dispense with the disclaimers with me. I won't call you out for expressing an opinion without advertising it as such. :lolok ya that one was funny and it went on for quite a long back and forth here too. Lol

Kawhitstorm
09-30-2016, 12:50 AM
God people are fucking retarded. Kawhi not playing with the starters cause that's fucking rape. You have to even teams up. It's training camp for fucks sake. No need to get all fucking retarded about it. :lmao

Kawhi isn't going to be running 1-5 PnRs since Pau is going to be the defacto PnR partner for Porker & Kawhi/LMA are ISO players so it isn't imperative that they practice w/ the starters.

The bench on the other hand is going to be the priority during camp & they will most likely get a run during pre-season. As far as defense, Pop is going to recycle the same ole' sag on PnRs & have Danny/Kawhi do the grunt work while Porker waves in traffic.

sasaint
09-30-2016, 07:07 AM

Back in the day, installing a new play package was kind of interesting. Coach started instruction with the first team playing against the second unit. After a few demo walk-throughs the pace picked up to game speed. Once the first unit was moving through the new system well, coach would stop play and switch out the sixth man with his counterpart on the first unit, and the team would work back up to speed with the four starters and the sixth man. Then the seventh man would switch teams and work up to speed... then the eighth, until finally coach had reassembled the second team to run the new play and the first unit on the defensive. Obviously, the most "mixed" the units got was when the 7th and 8th men were switched. Scrimmage was a little different. The units were usually divided in a way that would be pretty competitive. In both types of workouts, units were fairly mixed for reasonable lengths of time.

SAGirl
09-30-2016, 10:53 AM
Back in the day, installing a new play package was kind of interesting. Coach started instruction with the first team playing against the second unit. After a few demo walk-throughs the pace picked up to game speed. Once the first unit was moving through the new system well, coach would stop play and switch out the sixth man with his counterpart on the first unit, and the team would work back up to speed with the four starters and the sixth man. Then the seventh man would switch teams and work up to speed... then the eighth, until finally coach had reassembled the second team to run the new play and the first unit on the defensive. Obviously, the most "mixed" the units got was when the 7th and 8th men were switched. Scrimmage was a little different. The units were usually divided in a way that would be pretty competitive. In both types of workouts, units were fairly mixed for reasonable lengths of time.
Thanks. This helps understand the pictures better. :tu Pop probably still does things this way to this day. He made all those jokes with Tim running through the same dumb drills. What you state sounds like something Pop would still do.

SAGirl
09-30-2016, 10:53 AM
Kawhi isn't going to be running 1-5 PnRs since Pau is going to be the defacto PnR partner for Porker & Kawhi/LMA are ISO players so it isn't imperative that they practice w/ the starters.

The bench on the other hand is going to be the priority during camp & they will most likely get a run during pre-season. As far as defense, Pop is going to recycle the same ole' sag on PnRs & have Danny/Kawhi do the grunt work while Porker waves in traffic.
Good points.

bklynspursfan
09-30-2016, 11:03 AM
I don't like his form, nor his movement.

I was looking at his form too. Almost Kevin Martin like with how low he has it, though not as slow of course. I looked at other videos of him shooting, and his release point is usually higher than that.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2eftagm.png

http://i63.tinypic.com/14xldh1.png

bklynspursfan
09-30-2016, 11:10 AM
I wouldn't look too much into where Kawhi is playing in this scrimmage. He played with the 2nd unit a few years ago too

This is from 2013, and other years he was on the other side.

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/24/15/14/5296921/3/1024x1024.jpg

It may be Pop wanting him to practice carrying the load more, or maybe just completely randomized lol who knows. But I honestly don't see Pop pulling him out early. There are too many elite wings in the game where he is needed to play a good amount of minutes against the opposing starters in the league

SAGirl
09-30-2016, 12:08 PM
I wouldn't look too much into where Kawhi is playing in this scrimmage. He played with the 2nd unit a few years ago too

This is from 2013, and other years he was on the other side.

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/24/15/14/5296921/3/1024x1024.jpg

It may be Pop wanting him to practice carrying the load more, or maybe just completely randomized lol who knows. But I honestly don't see Pop pulling him out early. There are too many elite wings in the game where he is needed to play a good amount of minutes against the opposing starters in the league
Thanks for sharing this. I didn't see that scrimmage. The thought popped into my head while looking at the pictures in the context of how poor the bench was in that OKC series and the question marks they have this season, but it was a random thing. I am glad to see the light lol.

In that case, we better do hope Kyle pulls through (and J.Simms and Lee). I am going back to Pop stubbornly sticking with his bench.

SAGirl
09-30-2016, 12:12 PM

How about this thought right here?
I am bumping you tonight...you bc I deviated from your question with my random musings lol

bklynspursfan
09-30-2016, 12:15 PM
Thanks for sharing this. I didn't see that scrimmage. The thought popped into my head while looking at the pictures in the context of how poor the bench was in that OKC series and the question marks they have this season, but it was a random thing. I am glad to see the light lol.

In that case, we better do hope Kyle pulls through (and J.Simms and Lee). I am going back to Pop stubbornly sticking with his bench.

Maybe Pau will end up being the guy who plays with the 2nd unit more, who knows. They definitely will need to be better. it'll be a while before we get a true sense of the rotation. This is a lot of new pieces for Pop to try and implement in a small amount of time

Brazil
09-30-2016, 12:17 PM
Ideally Tony would shoot a bit more 3s per game even if efficiency suffers a bit... I'd rather have him with 2 attempts per game at +0.30 than 1 at +0.40. If plan is to have him for 2 more years with the starting unit, he needs to shoot those to open up plays, he cannot rely on being faster than opponent anymore to create separation.

Ideally Green gets his shooting back.

Ideally Anderson shoots better from 3s and make it a reliable weapon. If he wants minutes he has to shoot those

LMA practiced also his 3 pts shooting last year but he did not use it at all... I still don't know why tbh... so yeah I would not look too much into him shooting 3s in practice.

SAGirl
09-30-2016, 12:26 PM
Maybe Pau will end up being the guy who plays with the 2nd unit more, who knows. They definitely will need to be better. it'll be a while before we get a true sense of the rotation. This is a lot of new pieces for Pop to try and implement in a small amount of time
I actually now tend to think Pop will stick with Pau and LMA. Pop clearing up the air that Pau is starting, dispelled any doubts about it (though I always thought he was starting anyways, I did see the benefit of him helping out the bench). But it's clear Pop is going to stick with the twin towers.

Playoffs are definitely a different ballgame of course. Anyways, it was a random musing and too early in the season for it.

bklynspursfan
09-30-2016, 01:00 PM
I actually now tend to think Pop will stick with Pau and LMA. Pop clearing up the air that Pau is starting, dispelled any doubts about it (though I always thought he was starting anyways, I did see the benefit of him helping out the bench). But it's clear Pop is going to stick with the twin towers.

Playoffs are definitely a different ballgame of course. Anyways, it was a random musing and too early in the season for it.

I hope they do, and I'm sure it'll fluctuate based on the opponent. But I hope he does stay big. OKC had success against the Warriors with it, but they also had the ability to go small. I just want us to be able to match any style thrown at us

DMC
09-30-2016, 04:59 PM
None of this matters if you cant hit the 3. Its not going away. Bad boys thwart lane attacks, you cant do that just beyond the half court.

TD 21
09-30-2016, 05:10 PM
I hope they do, and I'm sure it'll fluctuate based on the opponent. But I hope he does stay big. OKC had success against the Warriors with it, but they also had the ability to go small. I just want us to be able to match any style thrown at us

The Thunder were unique, in that even when they went small, they were still big because of the height and length of Ibaka (6'10'' and 7'3'') and Durant (6'11'' and 7'4.75''), who both possess rare mobility and lateral quickness for their respective size.

The Spurs aren't constructed in such a way (their 2nd and 3rd best players are bigs, their 2nd best player is also their only big who's both mobile and good enough to play significant minutes and they lack wing depth) to play small ball for long stretches and if they even attempt to do so against the Warriors, they deserve to be blown out.

Kawhitstorm
09-30-2016, 05:33 PM
The Thunder were unique, in that even when they went small, they were still big because of the height and length of Ibaka (6'10'' and 7'3'') and Durant (6'11'' and 7'4.75''), who both possess rare mobility and lateral quickness for their respective size.

The Spurs aren't constructed in such a way (their 2nd and 3rd best players are bigs, their 2nd best player is also their only big who's both mobile and good enough to play significant minutes and they lack wing depth) to play small ball for long stretches and if they even attempt to do so against the Warriors, they deserve to be blown out.

The Spurs best chance is to go straight bully-ball on 'em like the 2015 Grizz.

TD 21
09-30-2016, 06:07 PM

:tu

tonight...you
09-30-2016, 06:10 PM
Pretty much what I was saying earlier... Agreed.

SAGirl
09-30-2016, 06:16 PM
As for the 3 pt shot attempts overall I think they will shoot more bc maybe the the PnP midrange will change to a 3.
The evidence is Aldridge practicing the shot, him stating that Pop told him to work on it. Pau shooting some 3s last season, Bertans a strict specialist and Kyle was shooting the 3 in SL to the tune of close to 4 per game at 42%. All these are "bigs" in that system, so basically the bigs will shoot the 3, last season they didn't really. LMA didn't, Kyle didn't enough, Diaw didn't enough either, and Dwest didn't. So overall I expect more attempts and better results (add in Bertans on occasion too).

Other than that, they need Danny to bounce back for real.

SAGirl
10-04-2016, 08:10 AM
Well nobody said it but they launched 25 3s in the preseason opener

bklynspursfan
10-04-2016, 08:49 AM

Fair enough.. I think they should be able to go small though. It might not be something they do often, but I think them having the capability will be good.

Even if it's a LMA/Kawhi/Anderson(?)/Green/Manu/Mills

TD 21
10-04-2016, 05:52 PM
Fair enough.. I think they should be able to go small though. It might not be something they do often, but I think them having the capability will be good.

Even if it's a LMA/Kawhi/Anderson(?)/Green/Manu/Mills

In a general sense, of course they should and will be able to go small for stretches, but I meant specifically regarding the Warriors; it can't be a staple against them.

SAGirl
10-05-2016, 09:04 PM

Mel_13
10-13-2016, 07:26 AM
One of Popovich’s goals this season is to increase the volume of the Spurs’ 3-point shooting.

The Spurs made 37.5 percent of their 3-point tries last season, second in the league behind only Golden State.

Yet the Spurs only attempted 1,518 shots from distance last season. That ranked 26th.

“We got two less a game last year,” Popovich said. “We have to get those back.”

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Camp-rookies-making-decisions-difficult-for-9968071.php?t=84405e285fc6ed8151&cmpid=twitter-premium

MaNu4Tres
10-13-2016, 07:50 AM
One of Popovich’s goals this season is to increase the volume of the Spurs’ 3-point shooting.

The Spurs made 37.5 percent of their 3-point tries last season, second in the league behind only Golden State.

Yet the Spurs only attempted 1,518 shots from distance last season. That ranked 26th.

“We got two less a game last year,” Popovich said. “We have to get those back.”

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Camp-rookies-making-decisions-difficult-for-9968071.php?t=84405e285fc6ed8151&cmpid=twitter-premium

The bench should increase their opportunities with West being gone and having PnR divers replacing him.

Mel_13
10-13-2016, 07:53 AM
The bench should increase their opportunities with West being gone and having PnR divers replacing him.

sup 'Tres

I thought it was interesting that Pop explicitly stated that increased 3s were a priority.

MaNu4Tres
10-13-2016, 08:13 AM
sup 'Tres

I thought it was interesting that Pop explicitly stated that increased 3s were a priority.

Just another day in paradise. Hope the same for you.

It is interesting, but I'm glad he sees that its a need.

A big reason why the volume wasn't there last year is because of how West & Aldridge were implemented in the offense. Both of them are heavy pick and pop long 2 bigs, and both were staggered for 48 minutes on most occasion. Pick and pop long 2's reduces the amount of weakside open 3's because the weakside D is able to stay at home on shooters and don't have to worry about rotating over to defend the roll man or the man in the dunker spot. It also had a lot to do with Duncan and Diaws' regression. Duncan didn't set as many on ball screens because of Aldridge needing to get his PnPop long two touches by being the man setting the on ball screens. And whenever TD did attempt to roll after setting screens, he wasn't as fluid or effective diving or rolling after his injury ( same with Diaw).

Having Lee and Dedmon (once he gets right) rolling to the basket after the pick, will make the weakside D move again once they get the timing down. When the weakside defense has to move, that is when better shots are created, threes, lay ups and dunks. Whenever the defense has to be running around rotating, that's when passing becomes a more valuable weapon. The defense bends more and more with every pass, until it breaks. When it breaks is when an easy, efficient attempt arises. Last year, with the second unit, the ball movement was there -- it's just that the ball movement wasn't as effective when the ball was swung to the weakside because the weakside was usually guarded by balanced defenders that never had to "bend" or become off-balanced.

I'm hoping Dedmon gets more confident and comfortable. Him and Lees' skill-set should help Bertans, Mills, Manu, Green and Kawhi get better and more frequent looks from three.

TD 21
10-13-2016, 05:27 PM
Pop says this, yet they construct the team in such a way to where it's difficult to imagine that happening. Even if Green bounces back and Aldridge gets closer to what he did in '14-'15, Leonard and Ginobili are unlikely to repeat what they did and Bertans is unlikely to be in the rotation.

YGWHI
10-13-2016, 09:49 PM
Pop says this, yet they construct the team in such a way to where it's difficult to imagine that happening. Even if Green bounces back and Aldridge gets closer to what he did in '14-'15, Leonard and Ginobili are unlikely to repeat what they did and Bertans is unlikely to be in the rotation.

Well, Pop said he wants the guys to increase the number of 3-point attempts but didn't affirm that will be work/be effective...

SAGirl
10-13-2016, 11:44 PM

I have noticed a lot more PnR and less post up, but for all the talk about LMA and Pau 3, they still haven't been firing the 3. Also Bertans, when he has played in better lineups doesn't get good looks bc he's not spotted up, instead he's screening near the foul line. It is early in the season and things can get tweaked, like how and where bigs sets screens, etc.

Playing snipers usually means more 3 pt shooting and with having Kawhi handling the ball, guys like Tony probably have to take more (though I haven't seen it) and Anderson is spotting up in different spots, but needs to be more trigger happy.

Simmons still passes up 3s, and he's open quite a bit. It's hard to judge right this moment bc it is early in the season and there are guys playing in the rotation right now that will get cut, so chemistry and maybe even sets are not run optimally.

Anyways, something to watch for the season. The deep bench reserves have been trigger happy from 3, but the regular lineups, not so much.

SAGirl
10-17-2016, 05:42 PM

cd98
10-17-2016, 06:02 PM
GSW are going to hit a ton of threes. Just getting two points in the paint won't keep up with their scoring. If the Spurs could field a line up that can defense and have 5 people that can hit the three, this would be a line up to use against GSW.

HarlemHeat37
10-18-2016, 10:50 PM
I haven't watched a single second of preseason basketball..does Bertans look good enough to be a rotation player, tbh?

apalisoc_9
10-18-2016, 10:55 PM
Bertans is going to eat some PF minutes in night where one or two of the bigs just sucks and the very rare and few Anderson PF minutes.

He's been the most impressive newcomer...

tonight...you
10-18-2016, 10:57 PM
I haven't watched a single second of preseason basketball..does Bertans look good enough to be a rotation player, tbh?
He's got some chops, tbh. I can see Pop giving him some burn here, in his experimental phase and Bertans showing him more than he expected, more often than not.
Shoot, he might be a Bonner on steroids...

SAGirl
10-18-2016, 11:04 PM

IMO I sit Lee and play Bertans. He has struggled defensively but has the tools to improve (he's got size and sufficient quickness, but often doesn't know what he's supposed to be doing and is not trying to stay in front of his guy but jumping on his feet in a reactionary way that leaves him open to changes of direction, etc. I will sum it up: he's not a SF. The crew that wants Kyle benched is barking up the wrong tree. He's not a SF.

But at the 4, he's a monster. A real monster, he has true size and is a pure sniper. He can be off like all shooters. He has had his nights with 1/4 or 1/5 shooting.. he's only shooting 30% from 3 in the preseason, but he can have nights like tonight (reminds me of icy hot) and bc he can get hot at any moment, and he doesn't pass up shots, you can't ignore him. You ignore him at your peril. If he gets hot, he can kill you bc at that point he will hit tough shots, off balance shots, etc.

I do think he will be the bench PF eventually. Him and Lee are night and day in terms of shooting and every perimeter player who has played with Lee has struggled with his lack of shooting. The Celtics Lee that clogged the paint and made it difficult for everyone around him (including himself) with his lack of shooting, is unjustifiable when you have Bertans.

SAGirl
10-18-2016, 11:14 PM
That said Pop may shut my yap and go with Lee and screw us all over... but if he wants more 3 pt shooting he needs Bertans more.

YGWHI
10-18-2016, 11:15 PM
Tonight, we finally saw Pau shooting 3's...Not bad at all. Getting him there spreading the floor creates so many options with his passing skill

SAGirl
10-18-2016, 11:17 PM
Tonight, we finally saw Pau shooting 3's...Not bad at all. Getting him there spreading the floor creates so many options with his passing skill

Kyle shot some 3s too, made 2. Bertans went berserk and made 6. I'd like to see more of this for sure.

YGWHI
10-31-2016, 12:06 AM
I know, only four games in the season but this looks too good to be ignored ...22 3PA.

LMA/Pau are hitting 3's with the SL...Just imagine if Kawhi/Danny get stroke back :flag:

cjw
10-31-2016, 12:32 AM
Warriors shooting nearly 60% from two. Sure makes up partly for their cold 3pt shooting so far. Spurs struggling from two and getting outshot there by opponents. Hopefully gets better with sample size. Do like the higher distribution of three pointers .

ElNono
10-31-2016, 12:44 AM
It's an uptick, but we're still in the bottom half in attempts... that said, we've been missing one of our 3-pt specialists in Danny, so that might still go up a bit more.

Overall, looks like the league in general has leaned more on the 3 pointer, probably a byproduct of the Warriors runs the last few seasons.

YGWHI
12-19-2016, 11:14 PM
Nice 3P% but the attempt rate could be better...

Spurtacular
12-19-2016, 11:31 PM
Spurs don't put 4 on the perimeter with Duncan like they did when they were leading the league in this stuff.

Solid D
12-19-2016, 11:40 PM
Good to great.

Robz4000
12-20-2016, 12:00 AM
They aren't gonna beat the Dubs or Cavs in a three point shooting contest. Better to use their size advantage.

TD 21
12-20-2016, 05:15 PM
They aren't gonna beat the Dubs or Cavs in a three point shooting contest. Better to use their size advantage.

One of the main reasons why they're not equipped to beat either in a series. 28th in three-point attempts doesn't cut it. They're too prolific to be significantly suppressed; you have to be able to at least somewhat keep up.

We saw it in the 2 home games versus the Warriors last season. They defended them about as well as humanly possible, only to narrowly win the first (with the Warriors on a 2nd night of a back to back and missing Iguodala, Bogut and Ezeli) and narrowly lose the second, when they got hit with an inevitable few minute flurry.

You're overestimating the size advantage considering Gasol can barely play against either or the Rockets.

HarlemHeat37
12-20-2016, 05:22 PM
Eh, I don't think it's as much of an issue, this season..they have 3 high-volume, efficient 3-point shooters, which is good enough IMO..it would be nice if they get another hot shooter in the playoffs(Manu or Simmons), but I don't think it's going to make or break the season..

The only difference I'd like to see is getting Green more set plays for 3 like they used to in the pre-Aldridge days, tbh..he's shooting 43% from 3 on 4 3pa/game, I'd like to see it get to 5, as unlikely as that is(with all the mouths to feed on this team)..

MaNu4Tres
12-20-2016, 06:04 PM
Eh, I don't think it's as much of an issue, this season..they have 3 high-volume, efficient 3-point shooters, which is good enough IMO..it would be nice if they get another hot shooter in the playoffs(Manu or Simmons), but I don't think it's going to make or break the season..

The only difference I'd like to see is getting Green more set plays for 3 like they used to in the pre-Aldridge days, tbh..he's shooting 43% from 3 on 4 3pa/game, I'd like to see it get to 5, as unlikely as that is(with all the mouths to feed on this team)..

It will be an issue vs. a team just as good ( Rockets) or a team that is better ( Warriors/Cavs). The team that can shoot 25-30 threes a night at a 37-40% + clip has a huge edge in a series from a PPP perspective.

Spurs need more volume from three, but I think the problem comes from not having a real playmaker on the perimeter that can get into the paint consistently without a fight

TD 21
12-20-2016, 06:05 PM

Three isn't enough. They need a big and fourth wing that combine high-volume and efficiency.

It won't make or break the season because the lack of a play maker for a team with championship aspirations will, but it will further hamper them.

I'd like to see more sets for a Green 3 too. They also need to immediately remove Simmons when he passes up an open 3. But those are incremental changes.

HarlemHeat37
12-20-2016, 06:07 PM
It will be an issue vs. a team just as good ( Rockets) or a team that is better ( Warriors/Cavs). The team that can shoot 25-30 threes a night at a 37-40% + clip has a huge edge in a series from a PPP perspective.

I agree, but I was speaking more in regards to how the team is currently built(frontcourt heavy)..I don't think they can realistically do better than what they have done from the 3-point line, so far..how would they generate more 3-point shooting volume with the current usage leaders on the team?

Naturally, the Warriors and Cavs are going to have the advantage with the math(3>2) + talent..

Seventyniner
12-20-2016, 06:10 PM
I agree, but I was speaking more in regards to how the team is currently built(frontcourt heavy)..I don't think they can realistically do better than what they have done from the 3-point line, so far..how would they generate more 3-point shooting volume with the current usage leaders on the team?

Naturally, the Warriors and Cavs are going to have the advantage with the math(3>2) + talent..

Agreed, the Spurs don't have the personnel (i.e. no Kevin Love, Draymond Green, Ryan Anderson type) to have four dangerous 3-point threats on the floor at one time.

Still, 3 dangerous 3-point shooters out of the 8-man playoff rotation (sorry Simmons) and 4 moderate threats (Parker, Ginobili, Aldridge, Gasol) is nothing to sneeze at.

MaNu4Tres
12-20-2016, 06:23 PM

Parker and Green need to let it fly more. If Parker isn't in his corner, he's constantly turning down the open 3 by spotting up for a long 2 or if he's spotted up at the 3, then he takes a dribble inside the 3 point line for a long two. Green has also been more hesitant than usual -- often it seems like he's just assuming the close out is coming strong, so he hesitates instead of just raising up and firing.

What also hurts is how the 2nd unit is constructed. I don't believe that they have to have a stretch the floor PF, but they do need both wings around the ball handler to be threats from three. Right now, when Manu or Patty are in PnR, only one side of the floor is a threat from 3 because of Simmons/Kyle. That is making it somewhat easy for the team defense to kind of funnel the pass to Simmons or Andersons' side of the floor. That is why I've been an advocate for Bertans to play the SF ( he has the versatility to play the big wing spot -- he's not a Bonner).

spursistan
12-21-2016, 03:08 PM
If only this team has an Ish Smith-type of PG to break down defenses and open weakside 3s :pctoss...

Danny Green is shooting a career highs on 3PT (44%) on only 4.2 3pt FGA and second career best (46%) on overall disgusting FGA of 5.5 down from 7.1 (2016) and 9.1 (2015)..

That's how much held back this team is by their severe lack of legit big minutes playmakers..

Chinook
12-21-2016, 03:50 PM
Green's leading the team in TS% and is ahead of only Kyle and Bryn in USG%. There's correlation on both sides for that. It simply isn't good enough for him to be shooting so little. I can understand not wanting to show your hand when it comes to set plays. But a) there's no telling whether the team will be able to execute (including Green hitting the shots) for plays they haven't gotten to practice in games and b) you don't have to get fancy to give him good looks.

If they just added more actions of their sets to give him open looks, it would help a ton. In the era before Kawhiso and LMA's offense, they'd have little screens from Splitter and Diaw that would just sort of happen while the main action was going on. Tiago or Boris would just notice that Danny's man wasn't looking and signal to him to make a cut. That can't happen when you don't know where everyone else is going to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlEAtAAJiNQ

Danny can do 80 percent of these things. It's crazy that Pop doesn't have at least five of these actions for him a game (in addition to the shots he gets off breakdowns and in transition).

SAGirl
12-22-2016, 02:14 PM
The priority is Kawhobe and his play making development...
Then Pau getting acclimated,
then Lamarcus ISO, post up or rolls etc,
then Tony ball handling and setting things up,
last Danny.

The way they are going they were not going to get much from that spot. I pointed this out b4 but guys ignored it bc when I pointed it out the guy in the spot at the time was Anderson....

anyways, they could stand to get Danny involved more but Harlem's point is well taken concerning the mouths to feed.

I suspect come playoff time Danny could get more shots with the bench since I suspect unless Simmons has one of his good shot streaks his minutes can get shortened up.

MaNu4Tres
12-22-2016, 03:35 PM
The way they are going they were not going to get much from that spot. I pointed this out b4 but guys ignored it bc when I pointed it out the guy in the spot at the time was Anderson....

We all knew Spurs weren't going to get that much production from the SG spot. But with Danny, the Spurs get a lot even if he doesn't have the ball because of the spacing he gives everyone else -- something Anderson doesn't do. And if Tony was as effective as he used to be in PnRs, there would be more good looks for Danny from three.

Anderson was starting and now he's not even in the rotation, unless Manu sits ( which he will the next two games).

You're acting like we all implied Danny would get 15 ppg from that spot :lol

Kawhitstorm
12-22-2016, 04:22 PM

Expecting Simmons to be a dependable 3 point shooter in the postseason.:lmao

One thing he can still do within the current system is take more transition 3s just like Patty STILL does w/ the 2nd unit. When he's hot, Danny even makes transition 3s without even setting his feet.:lol

spursistan
12-30-2016, 10:53 PM
Danny.Green.Needs.More.Three.Points.Shot.Attempts. Period.

apalisoc_9
12-30-2016, 11:54 PM
Danny.Green.Needs.More.Three.Points.Shot.Attempts. Period.

Not going to happen that much with the current structure. He needs to play more minutes with Lee-Manu-Pattty

Only way he's going to up his three point attempts significantly.

NASpurs
01-09-2017, 09:59 AM
Meh article but there's some interesting facts. Too bad about the attempts though I guess.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BKN_AROUND_THE_NBA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-01-09-03-26-18

So imagine this irony: His Spurs, this season, are shooting the 3 as well as just about any team in league history.

Overlooked, perhaps, in their 30-7 start this season is this. The Spurs are connecting on 41.3 percent of their 3s - on pace to be the third-best success rate since the shot was added to the NBA game nearly four decades ago. Only the 1996-97 Charlotte Hornets (42.8 percent) and last season's Golden State Warriors (41.6) shot it better than San Antonio has to this point.

They're making 45 percent of their corner 3s, 40 percent of ones taken from above the break. And the Spurs are on pace to be the first team in NBA history to shoot better than .400 from 3-point range and .800 from the foul line.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-09-2017, 11:01 AM
They're in the bottom 2 now in 3 point attempts as well as points in the paint.

Trying to rely on beating teams from midrange come playoff time isn't going to work.

skulls138
01-09-2017, 12:05 PM
They're in the bottom 2 now in 3 point attempts as well as points in the paint.

Trying to rely on beating teams from midrange come playoff time isn't going to work.It is what it is. Parkers not a 3pt shooter and both Pau and LA are shooting big men. I like the balance of what LA is doing right now. When hes open, shoot it, when he posts, back his man down. It used to be all shooting for him.

Also that stat could be pointing out how they dont force things but always find the easier shot.

DAF86
01-09-2017, 12:59 PM
Simmons needs to stop being a pussy and stop passing open looks from 3, tbh. A missed 3 is better than a turnover son.

tmtcsc
01-09-2017, 03:14 PM
The Cavs are a bigger obstacle for the Spurs than the Dubs. The Warriors took a step back with team chemistry and defense this year. They didn't need Durant and getting him will cost them an earlier out in the playoffs.