View Full Version : George Bush doesn't care about old people

Marcus Bryant
09-23-2005, 10:23 AM
http://www.nbc5i.com/news/5010437/detail.html

24 Believed Killed In Evacuee Bus Fire, Explosion
Passengers Were Elderly Hurricane Evacuees

POSTED: 7:06 am CDT September 23, 2005
UPDATED: 10:13 am CDT September 23, 2005

DALLAS -- A fire in a chartered bus filled with elderly Hurricane Rita evacuees, including some who used oxygen, has killed 24 people near Dallas Friday.

Authorities said the bus apparently caught fire due to a mechanical problem, and that oxygen tanks then started exploding on gridlocked Interstate 45.

Dallas County Sheriff's Sgt. Don Peritz said deputies couldn't get everyone off the flaming bus. It carried about 45 people from a nursing home in Bellaire, an upscale enclave within Houston. They had been on the road since Thursday.

Peritz said permission was given to remove the charred hulk of the bus from the northbound lane with the bodies still on board, shrouded by tarps. The crowded interstate is a primary Hurricane Rita evacuation route.

The bus was reduced to a blackened, burned-out shell, surrounded by numerous police cars and ambulances.

Peritz said the driver and arriving deputies tried to rescue as many passengers from the bus as possible but couldn't save everybody.

He said the bus left a nursing home in the Houston suburb of Bellaire Thursday, headed for facilities in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

The fire caused a 17-mile backup on a freeway that was already heavily congested with evacuees from the Gulf Coast.

State officials said northbound traffic is being diverted off of Interstate 45 onto U.S. Highway 287 at Ennis, about 30 miles southeast of Dallas.

Interstate 45 stretches more than 250 miles from Galveston through Houston to Dallas.

Nurse Saw Fire, Explosion

A nurse who was driving behind the bus said she saw it start to smoke, and then pull to the side of the road.

Tina Jones said, "I saw the smoke, and then there was an explosion."

She pulled over and helped treat minor injuries. And she said she saw at least six bodies.

In all, authorities say about 24 people died on the bus. They said the bus had caught fire because of a mechanical problem, and then oxygen tanks used by the elderly passengers started exploding.

After witnessing the horror, Jones said she'll "probably go home and have a good cry."

Hurricane Rita

Forecasters say Hurricane Rita remains an extremely dangerous Category Four storm with 140-mph winds. It's turned to the right more than anticipated, meaning it may spare Houston and Galveston, Texas, a direct hit.

Tornadoes, a big storm surge and rough waves are forecast.

SWC Bonfire
09-23-2005, 10:25 AM
That is not an event that should be made into a political joke.

Suns Fan
09-23-2005, 10:50 AM

But if it was? you picked the right place to post it.

Marcus Bryant
09-23-2005, 10:52 AM
I apologize, I was just anticipating the argument that's bound to rise from some in this forum and elsewhere.

Yonivore
09-23-2005, 10:57 AM
I'm sure it'll be George Bush's fault, somehow...just give Dan time.

Big Pimp_21
09-23-2005, 11:05 AM

Why not...Dan and his band of neolibs make a political connection to everything. AND IT IS ALWAYS SOMEHOW W's FAULT. 24 old people dying isn't funny, but the fact that all the W haters fault him for everything can get funny in a pathetic way.

Jelly
09-23-2005, 11:17 AM
The bus story is like a Greek tragedy. They were just winding down their grueling journey, they might have been on that bus for 20 hours, and just when they get to Dallas it explodes? Not funny, God.

CharlieMac
09-23-2005, 11:22 AM

Ah but it will be. This is going to ake it into someone's campaign or anti-Bush speech.

Big Pimp_21
09-23-2005, 11:47 AM
I can hear it now......"that a-hole Bush created Hurricane Katrina to wipe out the city of NO and its black people. Then, at the advice of Rove, he created another one to hit Texas. That way his back was covered in case someone caught on. Nobody would believe he would have one hit his home state. Thats what kind of evil jerk he is...killing his own people to benefit his political career. Then, just for shits and giggles, he exploded some old people too. That always makes him laugh!"

:rolleyes

Vashner
09-23-2005, 11:48 AM
Anything to bash Bush will get a lot of peoples rocks off... the more dead, the more bad... they will be happier..

nkdlunch
09-23-2005, 11:55 AM
How can bush not care? he's almost a senior citizen himself and even getting senile already.

SpursWoman
09-23-2005, 12:20 PM
He's also a living, breathing human being...but that didn't stop him from being accused of not liking the people of New Orleans, also living, breathing human beings.

:fro

Big Pimp_21
09-23-2005, 12:29 PM
according to some...he's not a living breathing human being. He's a heartless robot who was sent here to destroy our country and kill our children

SpursWoman
09-23-2005, 12:30 PM
according to some...he's not a living breathing human being. He's a heartless robot who was sent here to destroy our country and kill our children

Good point. I forget sometimes how fucked up and paranoid some people can be sometimes. :)