ace3g
02-01-2016, 07:24 PM
The NBA trade deadline is Feb. 18.

Nathan89
02-01-2016, 07:32 PM
Trade Patty.:flag:

lmbebo
02-01-2016, 07:41 PM
I'm guessing spurs look at the buy out market after trade line. Maybe Joe Johnson from Nyets.

SAGirl
02-01-2016, 07:42 PM
Man with Tim's knee bummer news... this season took a different turn for me.

CGD
02-01-2016, 07:45 PM
I'm guessing spurs look at the buy out market after trade line. Maybe Joe Johnson from Nyets.

Or Hibbert if Tims knee issue is bigger than we think?

dunkman
02-01-2016, 09:05 PM
The Spurs seldom move important players mid-season, Pop believes in corporate knowledge. It usually takes more then a season for a player to produce for the Spurs. Only very high bball IQ players get to produce during the first season.

SpurPadre
02-01-2016, 09:06 PM
Has anyone referenced today's Yahoo article that suggested we go after Joe Johnson if he goes through waivers on March?

ace3g
02-01-2016, 10:05 PM
Beli? 3s, passing, cuts

Uriel
02-01-2016, 10:16 PM
I suspect part of the reason for the increased minutes to Kyle Anderson, Jonathan Simmons, and Rasual Butler in the weeks leading up to the trade deadline is so that Pop can showcase them in order to make them more attractive assets in trade negotiations.

Kikoluna
02-01-2016, 10:27 PM
Blake Griffin for Aldridge would be sweet but unlikely.
I'm sensing a trade coming. I agree with the notion that Kyle is being showcased. Somebody like Tysons chandler would be nice.

SupremeGuy
02-01-2016, 10:31 PM
I'm guessing spurs look at the buy out market after trade line. Maybe Joe Johnson from Nyets.I'd be ok with that.

YGWHI
02-01-2016, 11:24 PM
The Spurs seldom move important players mid-season, Pop believes in corporate knowledge. It usually takes more then a season for a player to produce for the Spurs. Only very high bball IQ players get to produce during the first season.

This. I would be really shocked if the Spurs make a move this season. Even with Tim's knee issue. IMO, zero trades.

ceperez
02-02-2016, 05:42 AM
I suspect part of the reason for the increased minutes to Kyle Anderson, Jonathan Simmons, and Rasual Butler in the weeks leading up to the trade deadline is so that Pop can showcase them in order to make them more attractive assets in trade negotiations.

There aren't assets you trade consider the salaries are at the bottom. Also, nobody is going to trade any of their potential stars that are on rookie salaries.

The guys that get traded are folks with expensive contracts.

tbdog
02-02-2016, 06:57 AM

fuck yeeeh. Drop Bonner. Boom. Except Doc Rivers will promise him a starting role and then not play him. Cough* granger.

SPURt
02-02-2016, 07:20 AM
Blake Griffin for Aldridge would be sweet but unlikely.
I'm sensing a trade coming. I agree with the notion that Kyle is being showcased. Somebody like Tysons chandler would be nice.
Too bad Chandler's contract is awful, otherwise he'd be a great addition. The only way he becomes a Spur is if he's bought out. It's hard to see the Suns buying him out during the first year of a 4 year $52 million contract.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
02-02-2016, 08:30 AM
Nobody's getting traded. Seriously, who are the Spurs going get that is so much better than KA, Simmons, Mills considering their salaries. Just other rookie contract players that teams AREN'T going to be trading.

Simmons 562K
KA 1.1mil
Mills 3.2mil
Butler 1.5mil
Ray 1.2mil

7.5 mil in salaries for those players. This couldn't even net the Spurs Chandler in a trade. Considering how much each contributes, they ALL are worth more than their salaries. These 5 players combined are making as much as Cojo. Just think about that.

Old School 44
02-02-2016, 08:45 AM
Nobody's getting traded. Seriously, who are the Spurs going get that is so much better than KA, Simmons, Mills considering their salaries. Just other rookie contract players that teams AREN'T going to be trading.

Simmons 562K
KA 1.1mil
Mills 3.2mil
Butler 1.5mil
Ray 1.2mil

7.5 mil in salaries for those players. This couldn't even net the Spurs Chandler in a trade. Considering how much each contributes, they ALL are worth more than their salaries. These 5 players combined are making as much as Cojo. Just think about that.

You also left off Boban at 1.2 mil. We have an amazing front office.:toast

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
02-02-2016, 09:02 AM
You also left off Boban at 1.2 mil. We have an amazing front office.:toast

I know. Look how much those guys contribute and their salaries. And LMA is finally getting comfortable in the Spurs system. Finding his sweet spots without disrupting the flow of the Spurs offense. Last night, you started to see the past couple of weeks starting to payoff. Spurs weather the storm by the Magic and still made the game a semi blowout last night.

I really don't see the Spurs trading anyone at this point.

ceperez
02-02-2016, 09:17 AM
I know. Look how much those guys contribute and their salaries. And LMA is finally getting comfortable in the Spurs system. Finding his sweet spots without disrupting the flow of the Spurs offense. Last night, you started to see the past couple of weeks starting to payoff. Spurs weather the storm by the Magic and still made the game a semi blowout last night.

We got to see Duncan sit for even more games until the bigs start learning to communicate in defense and work with the offense.

Old School 44
02-02-2016, 09:20 AM

I don't see the Spurs trading anyone either. If anything they will sign someone for the d-league or trade overseas assets for other considerations. Sure the team is not flawless, but we are 40-8! Second best record in the NBA by 4 games. Second in the West by 5.

Keeping with your comparison, I added 4 more players to the total salary.

Simmons 562K
KA 1.1mil
Mills 3.2mil
Butler 1.5mil
Ray 1.2mil

Add in -
TD 5mil
Manu 2.8mil
West 1.5mil
Boban 1.2

9 spurs players make 18mil total.
Joe Johnson makes 18mil.
Kobe Bryant makes 25mil.

BatManu20
02-02-2016, 11:40 AM
The trade winds will come and go, and ST will be left very disappointed, as they are every year.

ceperez
02-02-2016, 11:51 AM
I don't see the Spurs trading anyone either. If anything they will sign someone for the d-league or trade overseas assets for other considerations. Sure the team is not flawless, but we are 40-8! Second best record in the NBA by 4 games. Second in the West by 5.

Keeping with your comparison, I added 4 more players to the total salary.

Simmons 562K
KA 1.1mil
Mills 3.2mil
Butler 1.5mil
Ray 1.2mil

Add in -
TD 5mil
Manu 2.8mil
West 1.5mil
Boban 1.2

9 spurs players make 18mil total.
Joe Johnson makes 18mil.
Kobe Bryant makes 25mil.

I would like to see a bigger point guard to replace McCallum. If that can be arranged then that would be a plus.

FromWayDowntown
02-02-2016, 12:02 PM
The trade winds will come and go, and ST will be left very disappointed, as they are every year.

One thing's for sure, if there's going to be a trade, we'll be the last ones to know about it in the same way that Spurs fans were completely blindsided by the Malik Rose-Nazr Mohammad trade in 2005.

sasaint
02-02-2016, 12:04 PM
Has anyone referenced today's Yahoo article that suggested we go after Joe Johnson if he goes through waivers on March?

Our biggest needs are a larger combo guard and a big to at least temporarily fill-in for Tim. How does an antique chucker help us?

look_at_g_shred
02-02-2016, 12:22 PM
Need a shot blocker / rebounder off the bench. Amundson anyone??

sasffl
02-02-2016, 12:37 PM
Need a defensive PG like George Hill to cover so many oustanding PGs in the west and hell Parker to do more in offensive side.

gambit1990
02-02-2016, 03:06 PM
he's someone i never would've imagined being in a spurs uniform... but i support this.

gambit1990
02-02-2016, 03:17 PM
my dream scenario would be to sign johnson and: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jcnya3h

i'd throw in a draft pick. and would've sent mccallum but he can't be traded until the summer.

ceperez
02-02-2016, 03:18 PM
Need a defensive PG like George Hill to cover so many oustanding PGs in the west and hell Parker to do more in offensive side.

Spurs have Green and Simmons that can cover a PG in the wings, but the rim protector is missing unless Aldridge steps up or we get some other athletic blocker from who knows where.

Chinook
02-02-2016, 03:20 PM
my dream scenario would be to sign johnson and: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jcnya3h

i'd throw in a draft pick. and would've sent mccallum but he can't be traded until the summer.

McCallum's been tradeable since like September. Oh, and that's an awful trade. Dragic sucks nowadays, Miami would love to get ride of McBob, and it's not even clear if the Spurs could afford to re-sign Whiteside.

gambit1990
02-02-2016, 03:29 PM
McCallum's been tradeable since like September. Oh, and that's an awful trade. Dragic sucks nowadays, Miami would love to get ride of McBob, and it's not even clear if the Spurs could afford to re-sign Whiteside.
oh, the restriction is for no reacquiring. and i don't think it's an awful trade at all. dragic would move the ball better than parker. haven't seen mcroberts play lately but i really like what little i've seen from him. really athletic and great passing/court vision for a big man. i would make this trade happen regardless of whether whiteside resigning. timmy and manu aren't getting younger... we need to win now... and what we need is a rim protector. if we had kawhi/td/whiteside? whew, that'd be nice.

DPG21920
02-02-2016, 03:39 PM

While the "name value' may make that trade exciting for some, that is a pretty awful trade. There is a reason why MIA actually IMPROVES defensively when Whiteside is off the court and while I like Dragic just fine, TP has been much better than him this year. Not to mention the adjustment to the system and comfort level/chemistry of DPG.

Kawhitstorm
02-02-2016, 03:53 PM

-Pop trading Tony:lmao
-Pop trading FOR Whiteside:lmao
-Pop trading Bonner:lmao
-Pop trading FOR Gerald Green:lmao

GSH
02-02-2016, 06:22 PM
I've heard that Rubio will be available, if he doesn't win in New Hampshire.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-02-2016, 09:25 PM
Man i'd love to see the spurs dump Danny Green to Minny. Kevin Martin and Shabazz Muhammad have spurs written all over them.

lil'mo
02-02-2016, 09:29 PM
Kevin Martin :lmao

maverick1948
02-02-2016, 09:32 PM
I would like to see a bigger point guard to replace McCallum. If that can be arranged then that would be a plus.

A bigger PG than Ray? He is 6'3. And he is fast. He can jump. He can shot. He is learning the Spurs system. What the hell do you mean a bigger point guard?

DrunkTXLabrat
02-02-2016, 09:32 PM
Kevin Martin :lmao

martin is the Draymond to lames Curry.

Ice009
02-02-2016, 10:19 PM

Do you remember George Hill guarding Steve Nash and Goran Dragic in the 2010 playoffs? He got destroyed in that series. Stephen Curry is a on a whole other level compared to what Nash was back then. Then you've also got Westbrook, who is also on another level. No disrespect to Nash as he was a great player back then, but people that think George Hill is a great defensive PG are wrong. He's a decent defender, but nowhere near being a great defensive PG.

ElNono
02-02-2016, 10:30 PM
can we get this thread to surpass the Jimmer thread in page count before the deadline, plz?

Uriel
02-03-2016, 03:56 AM
Haven't seen this article posted yet, but it's a good read. Lots of good tidbits here, which I've highlighted by putting in bold.

Guide to the trade deadline: Spurs always thinking ahead

http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/sports/2016-01-28/bef26f80-c56b-11e5-bc7a-1df764107272_bobby-marks.png (http://sports.yahoo.com/author/bobby-marks/)
By Bobby Marks of The Vertical (http://sports.yahoo.com/author/bobby-marks/)
February 1, 2016 3:43 PMYahoo Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/)

The Vertical Insider Bobby Marks, a former longtime assistant general manager with the Nets, breaks down the San Antonio Spurs (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/sas/)’ situation as the Feb. 18 trade deadline approaches.

HANG UP IF THEY ASK ABOUT …
Starters and rotational players
Teams have such respect for San Antonio that there is an unwritten rule when engaging with the Spurs to not to waste their time by talking about their key players.
There should be no movement among the Spurs' starters or rotation players.

WORTH TAKING THE CALL
Kyle Anderson (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/5341/) and Jonathon Simmons (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/5526/)
The undrafted Simmons has been a revelation, and Anderson has upside. Considering the Spurs’ ability to develop players, San Antonio would probably think long and hard about parting with either player if a team calls.

2016 first-round pick

San Antonio has proven its ability to find hidden gems in past drafts and have former picks Nikola Milutinov and Livio Jean-Charles stashed overseas, so this pick has value to San Antonio, but if the right deal comes along ...

The problem is the discrepancy in salary on the Spurs’ roster will make it difficult to move a pick for an established player.

NO-TRADE CLAUSE OR WITH A RESTRICTION
Tim Duncan (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3173/)
Duncan is one of six players in the NBA with a no-trade clause, meaning he has the power to veto any deal.

View photo
Manu Ginobili and Matt Bonner (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3748/)
Matt Bonner, who signed a one-year contract this summer, must consent to any trade San Antonio wishes to make. Although Manu Ginobili signed a two-year contract this past summer, the second year has a player option, so Ginobili is deemed to have an early Bird restriction.Both players must approve of any trade and early Bird rights would not carry over to their new teams.

Ray McCallum (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/5206/)
McCallum, who was acquired from Sacramento, cannot be traded back to the Kings this season.

MOVE THAT PUSHES THE NEEDLE

Utilizing cap space this past summer enabled the Spurs to be positioned for a long run this spring.

San Antonio should keep an eye on the March 1 waiver wire, especially if buyout talks pick up with Brooklyn’s Joe Johnson (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3520/).

TREASURE CHEST OF PICKS
Full, with reinforcements in Europe
San Antonio has its own first-round pick, projected to be No. 29 overall.

The Spurs also own their future first-round picks

San Antonio has a plethora of draft picks stashed overseas. First-round pick Nikola Milutinov (2015), first-round pick Livio Jean-Charles (2013), second-round pick Nemanja Dangubic (2014) and 2011 second-round picks Davis Bertans and Adam Hanga comprise a strong core of future assets.

AVAILABLE TRADE EXCEPTIONS
None

POST-TRADE DEADLINE ROSTER MOVEMENT
Even with 15 guaranteed contracts, San Antonio will pay attention to the March 1 buyout date. Adding a veteran for the stretch could prove more beneficial than a February 18 trade.

SNEAK PEEK TOWARD JULY
The Spurs will be right at the projected $89 million salary cap in July.

The big priority will be to lock up restricted free agent Boban Marjanovic (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/5524/). Because of his non-Bird rights, the Spurs will almost surely be forced to dip into part of their $5.6 million mid-level exception.

INSIDER INFO
Although not on the roster, the cap holds for previous first-round picks Nikola Milutinov and Livio Jean-Charles will hit the Spurs salary cap in July.
San Antonio can release the holds by notifying the NBA of its desire not to sign them, but doing so would make either player ineligible to sign in 2016-17. Both players’ cap holds were released last July when San Antonio needed cap space to sign LaMarcus Aldridge (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4130/).

Kawhitstorm
02-03-2016, 04:35 AM
Man i'd love to see the spurs dump Danny Green to Minny. Kevin Martin and Shabazz Muhammad have spurs written all over them.

Shabazz Muhammad:lmao

Kevin Martin:lmao

Defense:lmao

BillMc
02-03-2016, 04:43 AM
fuck yeeeh. Drop Bonner. Boom. Except Doc Rivers will promise him a starting role and then not play him. Cough* granger.

Truth.

cd021
02-03-2016, 06:03 AM
Beli? 3s, passing, cuts

Love to have him back. Underrated during his time here.

Mal
02-03-2016, 06:53 AM
Green wont be traded. He signed lowball offer to remain with team. Spurs organisation is too loyal to dump player after such sacrifice.

cd021
02-03-2016, 07:53 AM

I see what you did there.

UZER
02-03-2016, 08:19 AM

And fearless, which this team is lacking right now.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-03-2016, 10:05 AM
Shabazz Muhammad:lmao

Kevin Martin:lmao

Defense:lmao

you think it's funny to imagine the spurs acquiring players who specialize in offense?

raybies
02-03-2016, 11:51 AM
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2016/02/spurs-clippers-thunder-eye-adreian-payne.html

Spurs with "fringe " interest in Adrian Payne

BillMc
02-03-2016, 12:10 PM
:lol

YGWHI
02-03-2016, 12:17 PM
Green wont be traded. He signed lowball offer to remain with team. Spurs organisation is too loyal to dump player after such sacrifice.

Agree. People who is saying we need to trade Green, Parker, West, whoever...they don't know what's the Spurs way. They won't trade West in his first year, won't trade Danny after re-signed him this season, and won't trade Parker because he's part of the Big3 and he'll retire as Spur at any cost.

el contusione
02-03-2016, 12:36 PM
This. Spurs believe that they can win with this team and I doubt they would sacrifice the chemistry for a player who may or may not contribute. I can see a Joe Johnson signing if he gets bought out. The situation will be similar to signing Tmac where he will play garbage mins and Pop will assess him if he can contribute in the second unit.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
02-03-2016, 12:46 PM
The only major contributors that ever made an impact on the Spurs midseason were Diaw (extremely high BB IQ) and SJAX, who played in the Spurs System for over 2 years.

The only other player that ever made a dent was the Big Dog Glenn Robinson in that one game against Denver when the Spurs came back from a Double digit deficit and he had like 15 points in like 10-11 minutes in that 3rd/ early 4th quarter.

gambit1990
02-03-2016, 01:02 PM
The only major contributors that ever made an impact on the Spurs midseason were Diaw (extremely high BB IQ) and SJAX, who played in the Spurs System for over 2 years.

The only other player that ever made a dent was the Big Dog Glenn Robinson in that one game against Denver when the Spurs came back from a Double digit deficit and he had like 15 points in like 10-11 minutes in that 3rd/ early 4th quarter.
nazr.

SAGirl
02-03-2016, 01:44 PM
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2016/02/spurs-clippers-thunder-eye-adreian-payne.html

Spurs with "fringe " interest in Adrian Payne
I like him. He played with the Austin Spurs last season on assignment when he was still with ATL. He's nothing spectacular but he has size and length to block shots, is more mobile than Boban on PnR defense and can shoot from the outside. The article mentions that the interest is for the summer, not for this season. So I guess we will see what happens with Timmy's retirement and with Boban and West.

ceperez
02-03-2016, 01:59 PM
A bigger PG than Ray? He is 6'3. And he is fast. He can jump. He can shot. He is learning the Spurs system. What the hell do you mean a bigger point guard?

6'5" minimum

ceperez
02-03-2016, 02:04 PM
I like him. He played with the Austin Spurs last season on assignment when he was still with ATL. He's nothing spectacular but he has size and length to block shots, is more mobile than Boban on PnR defense and can shoot from the outside. The article mentions that the interest is for the summer, not for this season. So I guess we will see what happens with Timmy's retirement and with Boban and West.

If Minesota needs a PG like McCallum, then it is a trade!

Alternatively, I'll take Tayshun Prince for McCallum. Prince may be able to cover Livingston.

sasaint
02-03-2016, 03:45 PM
If Minesota needs a PG like McCallum, then it is a trade!

Alternatively, I'll take Tayshun Prince for McCallum. Prince may be able to cover Livingston.

Prince is another of those guys I wanted for the Spurs virtually his entire career, but I am afraid at his age he would have trouble guarding Livingston. I was pretty high on Payne coming out of college, but it seems like he really hasn't lived up to expectations. I admit, however, that I have really lost track of the guy. Possibly a Spurs reclamation project?

TrainOfThought5
02-03-2016, 04:14 PM
6'5" minimum

So Kyle Anderson??

DrunkTXLabrat
02-03-2016, 05:40 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP5HA2V6pIw

SpursBig3s
02-04-2016, 12:19 PM
in for later

gambit1990
02-04-2016, 01:04 PM
While the "name value' may make that trade exciting for some, that is a pretty awful trade.
i disagree. we need a rim protector and:
-whiteside was 2nd in blocks last year in only 48 games while only playing 24 minutes (!)
-this year he leads the league, averaging around 1.5 more blocks than AD

as you alluded to, those numbers aren't everything. i posit that he's still learning. the dude has only played around 100 games. if anyone can make him into an absolute terror, it'd be pop.

oh, and:

Over the first two months of the season, Miami’s defense allowed over eight more points per 100 possessions with Whiteside on the court. That trend did a 180-degree turn in January, with the Heat allowing just 96.8 points per 100 possessions with Whiteside on the floor, and 102.7 points per 100 possessions with Whiteside off the court. That figure with Whiteside on the floor would have led the NBA in January.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/114257/januarys-top-defender-hassan-whiteside

GSH
02-04-2016, 01:15 PM
Haven't seen this article posted yet, but it's a good read. Lots of good tidbits here, which I've highlighted by putting in bold.

That should be required reading. The problem is, there would have to be required understanding. The pieces the Spurs would trade won't bring enough to make any meaningful difference. And it's pretty sad when the best thing the guy can come up with in the potential-buyout market is a 34 year-old, volume-shooting Joe Johnson.

At this point, I believe the Spurs could beat any team in the league in a 7 game series - except GS. And the very thought of having Matt "The Mattador" Bonner on the floor against the Dubs makes my head spin. As far as I'm concerned, he's a useless appendage. I'm not sure why anyone would take the salary off the Spurs plate, but I would much rather see them with a D-League call-up on the end of the bench. This season is supposed to be all-in for #6. If the Spurs find themselves "needing" Bonner, that dream is officially dead anyway.

Spurs9
02-04-2016, 02:18 PM
Any trades go down in the NBA yet?

raybies
02-04-2016, 02:22 PM
Any trades go down in the NBA yet?

Nah, but smoke is starting to rise

Spurs9
02-04-2016, 02:26 PM
Curious to see if Doc will pull the trigger on letting Blake go. Doesn't look like he has even been at the last few games. I was looking for him on the bench yesterday during the Clips game.
http://twitter.com/michaeljb1/status/695033224355950592/photo/1
:lol at the hammer on hoodie
PS: Not affiliate or follow TMZ, just found that as a google search. TMZ is thread and batmanu's land.

r0drig0lac
02-04-2016, 02:32 PM
we should try to get MCW (Monroe could punish gsw in the paint, but that would be impossible)

ElNono
02-04-2016, 03:11 PM
Norris Cole was 1 assist short of dropping a double-double last night, tbh... not really a feat when you're guarded by porky, but perhaps a better fit than Mills for the pick & roll game?

spursistan
02-04-2016, 03:17 PM
Curious to see if Doc will pull the trigger on letting Blake go. Doesn't look like he has even been at the last few games. I was looking for him on the bench yesterday during the Clips game.
http://twitter.com/michaeljb1/status/695033224355950592/photo/1
:lol at the hammer on hoodie
PS: Not affiliate or follow TMZ, just found that as a google search. TMZ is thread and batmanu's land.

it does look awful TBH..i wouldn't be surprised if he is out until April or something..

GSH
02-04-2016, 03:44 PM
Elliott Williams is about to come off a 10-Day with Memphis. Dahntay Jones is waiting in the wings. Loads of talent out there, just waiting for the right opportunity. :depressed

raybies
02-04-2016, 03:51 PM
Wish we could trade Ray for Lance Thomas. :rolleyes

gambit1990
02-04-2016, 03:53 PM
oh, another player i still want is john henson.

BadOne
02-04-2016, 09:58 PM
Michael Carter-Williams is supposedly on the block. Wonder if we could shed McCallum and Butler/Bonner for him. Need a better back up point guard and at his size, might be of some use defensively.

cjw
02-04-2016, 10:30 PM

Not for the friggen MLE. At least it's only two years after this, but $6.1 million for someone who can't play defense (is useful offensively against bench units) is ridiculous.

Not to mention he can't be had for just Bonner/Butler/McCallum cap-wise, so it would mean trading a rotation player. No thanks.

random21
02-04-2016, 10:30 PM
Michael Carter-Williams is supposedly on the block. Wonder if we could shed McCallum and Butler/Bonner for him. Need a better back up point guard and at his size, might be of some use defensively.

That would be a pretty nice trade if it went down, but you know the Spurs won't do anything....

sasaint
02-04-2016, 10:40 PM

Would mean even more job security for Chip. :lol. MCW makes Rondo look like Curry, tbh.

DPG21920
02-04-2016, 10:51 PM
MCW is barely a rotational quality player. He's really shown little to no improvement in 4 years. Doesn't matter if he's with starters or the bench, he just hasn't proven to be a difference maker at all.

I mean, he's young enough and has some "talent" but I would not give up rotational players for him IMO.

SpursFan86
02-04-2016, 10:58 PM
I'm not a big fan of MCW, but c'mon...McCallum and Bonner for him? Are you high? :lol

TheDoctor
02-04-2016, 11:46 PM
In before talks about Ray Allen coming out from retirement to join the Spurs arise.

:hat

BadOne
02-05-2016, 12:05 AM
I'm not a big fan of MCW, but c'mon...McCallum and Bonner for him? Are you high? :lol

LOL, yep I know. Doubt Bonner would give his consent for the trade anyways. :lol

Chinook
02-05-2016, 01:01 AM
MCW is barely a rotational quality player. He's really shown little to no improvement in 4 years. Doesn't matter if he's with starters or the bench, he just hasn't proven to be a difference maker at all.

I mean, he's young enough and has some "talent" but I would not give up rotational players for him IMO.

I mean, this is his third year in the league. So I guess you're going back to his junior year in college.

Nathan89
02-05-2016, 01:12 AM
MCW played well vs the Warriors.

SAGirl
02-05-2016, 01:35 AM
More than his lack of a shot I dislike his lack of BBIQ (MCW) and his lack of a shot would eventually sour me too. I think at this point he's a kind of defensive PG but Cojo is better and I was not a Cojo fan.

Emperor
02-05-2016, 03:14 AM

Sold

r0drig0lac
02-05-2016, 07:06 AM

he scored in Curry each time in low post

tbdog
02-05-2016, 07:08 AM
Gee guys, yeh it would be nice to have a big point guard, but we 3pnt shooters. MCW just isn't.

DPG21920
02-05-2016, 10:31 AM
I mean, this is his third year in the league. So I guess you're going back to his junior year in college.

You know what I meant obviously.

cjw
02-05-2016, 11:59 AM

People are acting like he's Austin Rivers. Shooting is a concern (same goes for Rondo, Rubio and a handfull of other PGs) but it's also a result of the Bucks having awful floor spacing outside of Middleton.

He's also a good rebounder for his position, which doesn't hurt. Middle of the pack in RPM, so implies his defense is fine ... Bucks real reason for the drop off is Monroe.

Didn't realize he's only a few months younger than Kawhi.

raybies
02-05-2016, 01:21 PM
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2016/02/nuggets-seek-pick-in-return-for-joffrey-lauvergne.html

Nuggets want late first for Joffrey

Robz4000
02-05-2016, 01:25 PM
Spurs don't need anymore bigs. If there will be a trade it'll be for a wing.

Chinook
02-05-2016, 01:28 PM
Lauvergne is a good young player, though. I don't entirely get why they'd want to trade him, since they have minutes at PF, but he'd be pretty nice.

raybies
02-05-2016, 01:31 PM
Need to look at his stats but when he played us he stretched the floor. I like him but I'm not sure I would give out only pick for him. There are some prospects I think I prefer more than him because if we do get another big, we need a rim protector.

spursistan
02-05-2016, 01:58 PM
The Clippers are indeed shopping Blake Griffin..

DPG21920
02-05-2016, 02:24 PM
Who knows if there is any truth to that. It's very vague and it could literally be Denver calling LAC to ask if Blake is available (could have been told no).

Seventyniner
02-05-2016, 03:00 PM
Who knows if there is any truth to that. It's very vague and it could literally be Denver calling LAC to ask if Blake is available (could have been told no).

That tweet implies that the Clippers had some conversation beyond just hanging up the phone. If it had said that the Nuggets had talked to the Clippers there could be nothing there.

Mel_13
02-05-2016, 03:44 PM

Kawhitstorm
02-05-2016, 04:26 PM

Why in the hell would they trade MCW for Bonner/Butler?:lmao

The only way the Spurs are getting MCW is for something like Fathead/McCallum. A desperate team like the Knicks would give them someone like Galloway & a 1st rd pick for MCW.

Kawhitstorm
02-05-2016, 04:30 PM
More than his lack of a shot I dislike his lack of BBIQ (MCW) and his lack of a shot would eventually sour me too. I think at this point he's a kind of defensive PG but Cojo is better and I was not a Cojo fan.

Unlike CoJo, MCW can postup & doesn't hesitate on drives.

Kawhitstorm
02-05-2016, 04:30 PM

2P5esWa3sN0

raybies
02-05-2016, 05:01 PM
2P5esWa3sN0

Nice video. Anyone that can blow their load against golden state is good in my book.

raybies
02-05-2016, 05:14 PM
MCW vid got me thinking. Patty, stash prospect, and first get a deal done for MCW? I know it's unrealistic but just tickle my fancy a little. He's the big guard we need against the warriors. Wonder what chip could do with him in a season. Could play both guard spots. Just interesting is all.

r0drig0lac
02-05-2016, 05:24 PM
MCW / Danny / Kawhi / Kyle / Aldridge would give problems to the warriors

Benoit
02-05-2016, 05:25 PM
MCW / Danny / Kawhi / Kyle / Aldridge would give problems to the warriors

lmao

Who is kyle?

I thought you all said Duncan was the missing piece and reason for the 30 point loss??

apalisoc_9
02-05-2016, 05:26 PM
MCW would kill kawhi and Aldridge offense. He cant fucking shoot.

Kawhitstorm
02-05-2016, 05:39 PM
MCW vid got me thinking. Patty, stash prospect, and first get a deal done for MCW? I know it's unrealistic but just tickle my fancy a little. He's the big guard we need against the warriors. Wonder what chip could do with him in a season. Could play both guard spots. Just interesting is all.

Trading Patty for another non-shooter is going to be an issue besides the Bucks have Bayless who's a bigger version of Patty. If they have any interest in any of the Spurs bench players then it's Kyle b/c he's lanky & Kidd probably is intrigued by the possibility of playing him as a point-forward. MCW is basically a hybrid of Kyle/Simmons.

Kawhitstorm
02-05-2016, 05:41 PM
MCW would kill kawhi and Aldridge offense. He cant fucking shoot.

MCW would be playing the Fathead/Simmons/CoJo role.

SpursIndonesia
02-05-2016, 06:34 PM
Yeah, MCW is intriguing but we need at least one of our young wings to break out as outside threat before thinking about trading for him & inserting him into our rotation.

DPG21920
02-05-2016, 06:35 PM
That tweet implies that the Clippers had some conversation beyond just hanging up the phone. If it had said that the Nuggets had talked to the Clippers there could be nothing there.

MaNu4Tres
02-05-2016, 06:35 PM
Clippers would have to be idiots.

If I'm LA, Id offer DJ and Wes Johnson for Jokic & Gallo though.

spurtech09
02-05-2016, 06:56 PM
Doubt the Spurs do anything.....Maybe pick up someone off waivers but that's about it.....

Pauleta14
02-05-2016, 07:30 PM
Lauvergne is a good young player, though. I don't entirely get why they'd want to trade him, since they have minutes at PF, but he'd be pretty nice.

Because he has no special skills. He is a blue collar guy who is ok at everything but doesn't have a special strength. Better trade him before everybody notices he has a low upside...

I like him though because he isn't a liability, you can go to war with him.

CGD
02-05-2016, 08:25 PM
Because he has no special skills. He is a blue collar guy who is ok at everything but doesn't have a special strength. Better trade him before everybody notices he has a low upside...

I like him though because he isn't a liability, you can go to war with him.

Thought he was decent the bit I saw for team France last summer. Would we get anything better with a late first in this draft (projected to be weak)? Plus Spurs need to start bringing in players from the pipeline next summer, LJC, Bertans, Multinov

SAGirl
02-05-2016, 09:36 PM
Trading Patty for another non-shooter is going to be an issue besides the Bucks have Bayless who's a bigger version of Patty. If they have any interest in any of the Spurs bench players then it's Kyle b/c he's lanky & Kidd probably is intrigued by the possibility of playing him as a point-forward. MCW is basically a hybrid of Kyle/Simmons.Seriously if I am the bucks I beg Rc to do it. In a rebuilding team they would play Kyle like he was meant to and let them go back to their defensive roots of causing deflections last season, plus using forwards as PG (Kidd tried that with antetoukoumpo) and Kyle is the same age/development stage as their other youngsters. If I am Kidd what is another trade in the big scheme??? Kyle could help that team.

For our team, I don't think Pop swings that trade though.

sasaint
02-05-2016, 09:53 PM
Thought he was decent the bit I saw for team France last summer. Would we get anything better with a late first in this draft (projected to be weak)? Plus Spurs need to start bringing in players from the pipeline next summer, LJC, Bertans, Multinov

Yes, we could get somebody in the late first round who is more likely to help us than Laugergne, with his low ceiling, or any of those guys in the "pipeline". None of those guys is likely to be with the Spurs next season. LJC is not likely to ever become skilled enough to play in the NBA. Bertans' knees may not be as good as Tim's, so he is unlikely to ever make it. Milutinov is a physically underdeveloped backup in Greece and will certainly not be coming over next season. The player we have in the pipeline who has the best chance to make it to San Antonio is probably Cady Lalanne. He was raw in Summer League last summer, but he is becoming a good stretch-4 for the Austin Spurs.

sasaint
02-05-2016, 09:57 PM
Trading Patty for another non-shooter is going to be an issue besides the Bucks have Bayless who's a bigger version of Patty. If they have any interest in any of the Spurs bench players then it's Kyle b/c he's lanky & Kidd probably is intrigued by the possibility of playing him as a point-forward. MCW is basically a hybrid of Kyle/Simmons.

In your earlier post, I thought you were in favor of a trade for MCW because he could post-up...?

Kawhitstorm
02-05-2016, 10:08 PM
In your earlier post, I thought you were in favor of a trade for MCW because he could post-up...?

Yeah but how are you going to get spacing for post-ups when Simmons/Kyle are spreading the floor?:lol

sasaint
02-05-2016, 10:11 PM
Yeah but how are you going to get spacing for post-ups when Simmons/Kyle are spreading the floor?:lol

I don't want anything to do with MCW - like I said earlier, acquiring him just means more job security for Chip Engelland.

SAGirl
02-05-2016, 10:27 PM
NO I don't like him.. bc he has no BBIQ. I think Kyle in the bucks would be awesome though. I'd watch that team. RC I don't think trades Kyle though.

Kawhitstorm
02-06-2016, 12:26 AM
NO I don't like him.. bc he has no BBIQ. I think Kyle in the bucks would be awesome though. I'd watch that team. RC I don't think trades Kyle though.

MCW is Simmons w/ better handles & a postup game which is a better matchup against teams w/ athletes on the perimeter (Worriers/OKC/Cavs) than Fathead. The guy almost had a quadruple double w/ 9 steals in his NBA debut. He would be playing the Shumpert role on the Spurs.

Zak2HLIzlhw

cd021
02-06-2016, 05:08 AM
Not for the friggen MLE. At least it's only two years after this, but $6.1 million for someone who can't play defense (is useful offensively against bench units) is ridiculous.

Not to mention he can't be had for just Bonner/Butler/McCallum cap-wise, so it would mean trading a rotation player. No thanks.

Spurs have the Trade exception they got from moving Splitter ($ 8 million) they would have to clear a roster spot. Bonner can't be traded without his permission, i believe Butler is in the same boat, McCullum was already traded from the Kings. They could just release Butler and take on Beli's deal, if i'm not mistaken.

Beli's had a net Rtg of +6 in his two seasons here (Offensive rating minus defensive rating=net rating) the though that his defense was more a liability than his offense was an asset is wrong. He also shot a ridiculous 40.5 % from 3. Spurs could use another shooter, they are a top 5 team in terms of 3pt % but are only 26th in attempts. In other words, they are a high percentage, low volume 3pt shooting team. Some of thatch by design but some of that's having perimeter players that are mediocre 3pt shooters (Parker, Anderson, Simmons, McCullum).

The bigger question would be were would his minutes come from. He backed up KL last year and Leonard figures to play around 36 mpg this PS. Would he be worth it for 12 or so mpg.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-06-2016, 07:30 AM
Spurs have the Trade exception they got from moving Splitter ($ 8 million) they would have to clear a roster spot. Bonner can't be traded without his permission, i believe Butler is in the same boat, McCullum was already traded from the Kings. They could just release Butler and take on Beli's deal, if i'm not mistaken.

No. It was renounced. Spurs can only sign minimum players if they open a roster spot.

cjw
02-06-2016, 09:28 AM

Beli's had a net Rtg of +6 in his two seasons here (Offensive rating minus defensive rating=net rating) the though that his defense was more a liability than his offense was an asset is wrong. He also shot a ridiculous 40.5 % from 3. Spurs could use another shooter, they are a top 5 team in terms of 3pt % but are only 26th in attempts. In other words, they are a high percentage, low volume 3pt shooting team. Some of thatch by design but some of that's having perimeter players that are mediocre 3pt shooters (Parker, Anderson, Simmons, McCullum).

The bigger question would be were would his minutes come from. He backed up KL last year and Leonard figures to play around 36 mpg this PS. Would he be worth it for 12 or so mpg.

I think the Splitter trade exception went away when the team went under the cap to sign Lamarcus. Even if they have a trade exception, I'd want to use it on someone a hell of a lot better than Marco.

Kawhitstorm
02-06-2016, 04:01 PM
I think the Splitter trade exception went away when the team went under the cap to sign Lamarcus. Even if they have a trade exception, I'd want to use it on someone a hell of a lot better than Marco.

When the team was dealing with injuries (Danny/Manu/Kawhi/Tony) back in 2013-14 PATFO tried to acquire Evan Turner from the Sixers b/c he used to play well against the Heat, this year it's going to be Michael Carter-Williams b/c of how he performed against the Worriers.:toast

Marco is unplayable against the Worriers/OKC.:lol

ChumpDumper
02-06-2016, 04:06 PM
Spurs have the Trade exception they got from moving Splitter ($ 8 million) they would have to clear a roster spot. Bonner can't be traded without his permission, i believe Butler is in the same boat, McCullum was already traded from the Kings. They could just release Butler and take on Beli's deal, if i'm not mistaken.You're mistaken.

Pauleta14
02-06-2016, 06:41 PM

Probably not because the guy is "seasoned", he is more reliable immediately.

But if you think upside, long-term... You take another direction imo

T Park
02-06-2016, 07:13 PM

Correct, and I don't think you could acquire anyone that could step right in and know what they're doing right away better than Marco Belinelli. That said people in Sacramento hate him.

Agloco
02-06-2016, 07:49 PM
6'5" minimum

How many 6'5" PGs are available?

cd021
02-08-2016, 04:32 AM

My mistake, i missed that part. I still think that Beli would be a good addition.

szkorhetz
02-08-2016, 04:44 AM
How many 6'5" PGs are available?
Should have kept Nando de Colo, TBH.

raybies
02-08-2016, 08:26 AM

One of the best players in Europe, numbers wise.

sasaint
02-08-2016, 10:38 AM

But, we got Austin Daye in that trade! :(

sasaint
02-08-2016, 10:40 AM
One of the best players in Europe, numbers wise.

Don't remember what he was like on the defensive end. tbh,but wasn't he pretty slow footed?

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
02-08-2016, 10:42 AM
21 pts 5 apg for Nando. I always like him as a player, but his constant bitchin' about playin time would have irk me. Reason why Pop traded him IMO.

It would be nice to have a 6'5" PG with a 6'11" wingspan to play against someone like Livingston.

SpursIndonesia
02-08-2016, 10:50 AM

The guy was not patient enough to wait in the wing, IIRC. Too much glut at the backup PG spot and stuck at it while not showing good enough skill as a scorer & shooter back then. Pretty mediocre as defender too.

look_at_g_shred
02-08-2016, 11:01 AM
21 pts 5 apg for Nando. I always like him as a player, but his constant bitchin' about playin time would have irk me. Reason why Pop traded him IMO.

It would be nice to have a 6'5" PG with a 6'11" wingspan to play against someone like Livingston.
I can't remember but was Anderson matched up at anytime on Livingston last month?

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
02-08-2016, 11:04 AM
I can't remember but was Anderson matched up at anytime on Livingston last month?

No, but it is probably something Pop should and probably will try next game.

ginobilized
02-08-2016, 11:09 PM
Joe Johnson off the waiver wire would be an interesting prospect. He'd be an asset against Dubs and Thunder. He might match up well with Livingston.
Intriguing

spursistan
02-09-2016, 01:56 PM

GM Bud about to blow it up :lol

Kawhitstorm
02-09-2016, 02:10 PM

Nope, he was scoring against Porky or fastbreaks/cuts with no soul around him.

Kawhitstorm
02-09-2016, 02:11 PM

Building around Tiago.:lol

ginobilized
02-09-2016, 02:11 PM
Ha! Building around Tiago! :toast

ginobilized
02-09-2016, 02:13 PM

Would Korver's wife let him come to the Spurs?
Teague would be an exceptional PG for us

Probably not going to happen for Spurs

They could really add a lot to a playoff contender
It might be an interesting deadline

BatManu20
02-09-2016, 02:21 PM
Come on home, Georgie. Also, :lol at Larry Bird's trade proposal. I'm sure Danny Ferry had a good laugh when he heard it.

BatManu20
02-09-2016, 03:35 PM

gambit1990
02-09-2016, 03:40 PM
not sure if this has been posted:

New York Knicks president Phil Jackson said he hopes to make an impactful trade before the NBA's Feb. 18 deadline.

"We're looking to improve this ballclub, there's no doubt," Jackson said Monday during a news conference on the firing of Derek Fisher. "We know that we have some good guys. The chemistry is pretty good. The talent can still be better. It always can, so we're looking."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14742772/new-york-knicks-seek-significant-trade-phil-jackson-says

he acknowledged that melo has a no trade clause. so i'm not too sure what assets the knicks have that they can make a splash with.

Chinook
02-09-2016, 04:00 PM
Too early, but I'm hoping that Vasquez gets bought out after the deadline. He'd be good Manu insurance. The could waive McCallum or Bonner to make room.

look_at_g_shred
02-09-2016, 04:14 PM
Too early, but I'm hoping that Vasquez gets bought out after the deadline. He'd be good Manu insurance. The could waive McCallum or Bonner to make room.
Have always loved this dude's play since he burned us in 2011

FuzzyLumpkins
02-09-2016, 04:14 PM

I'd rather continue letting Simmons progress over bringing in an obvious progress stopper.

Chinook
02-09-2016, 04:21 PM
Have always loved this dude's play since he burned us in 2011

He's not a terribly great player, but he would be a nice guy to have next to Mills for a year. Obviously I'd only want him if Manu retires.

Nathan89
02-09-2016, 04:25 PM
He torched us in 2011. At very least he brings more size which is valuable vs GSW.

szkorhetz
02-09-2016, 06:01 PM
Marc Gasol will possibly miss the remainder of the season with a broken foot.

I can easily see Memphis blow the team up.

sasaint
02-09-2016, 06:46 PM

If the Bucks succeed in moving MCW, do you also expect them to buy out Vasquez? I haven't seen him play enough but his 3pt % and PER are not really great. Don't really see that we would have a lot of interest. Good size, but poor shooter it seems. Don't think I would be willing to get rid of either McCallum or Bonner for him - unless Bonner really is done.

spursistan
02-11-2016, 02:45 PM

Seventyniner
02-11-2016, 02:58 PM
If the Bucks succeed in moving MCW, do you also expect them to buy out Vasquez? I haven't seen him play enough but his 3pt % and PER are not really great. Don't really see that we would have a lot of interest. Good size, but poor shooter it seems. Don't think I would be willing to get rid of either McCallum or Bonner for him - unless Bonner really is done.

I think it's more likely they buy out Vazquez if they don't move MCW.

Spurs9
02-11-2016, 03:01 PM
I called it tbh

ace3g
02-14-2016, 11:02 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/697471028197519360/pzmBBK4T_bigger.jpg Jared Dudley Verified account ‏@JaredDudley619 (https://twitter.com/JaredDudley619)

Enjoy some peace and calm until tomorrow morning when you will hear a 100 trade rumors lol.. #nbatradedeadline (https://twitter.com/hashtag/nbatradedeadline?src=hash)

ace3g
02-15-2016, 02:20 AM
Just randomly saw this tonight on twitter. It had my curiosity until I clicked the link. Doesn't mention "according to sources" or anything along those lines.

MI21
02-15-2016, 02:24 AM
Just randomly saw this tonight on twitter. It had my curiosity until I clicked the link. Doesn't mention "according to sources" or anything along those lines.

:lol

Spurs going with the Parker, Leonard, Horford, Aldridge, Duncan mega size team - I don't think so.

SAGirl
02-15-2016, 02:26 AM

699116377261613056 it would make sense if the Timmy knee issue is old age and not going away. It would mean Timmy is retiring for sure. I will leave others to sort this out bc I am not great with contract issues at all. Danny must f or sure be coveted now that he found his groove back.

SD126
02-15-2016, 02:26 AM

Won't put any stock into this. Site is based off of utilizing the ESPN Trade Machine.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-15-2016, 02:30 AM
No chance. Atlanta would get much better offers for him.

Uriel
02-15-2016, 06:12 AM

:huh:huh:huh:huh:huh:huh:huh

Uriel
02-15-2016, 06:14 AM
No chance. Atlanta would get much better offers for him.
And even if they didn't, I'm not exactly sure this is a good trade for the Spurs. The frontline is already the best frontcourt in the NBA; no need to inflate it further, especially if it comes at the expense of our starting SG.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-15-2016, 06:20 AM
And even if they didn't, I'm not exactly sure this is a good trade for the Spurs. The frontline is already the best frontcourt in the NBA; no need to inflate it further, especially if it comes at the expense of our starting SG.

Spurs would bite their hands off on something like Horford + Korver for Danny Green + Boris + picks, if only for the talent upgrade, however, a team like Boston could easily outbid the Spurs.

ceperez
02-15-2016, 07:29 AM
Does not make sense since Green has a no-trade clause.

I would trade Aldridge for Horford and Korver. Spurs need a quicker center.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-15-2016, 07:31 AM

No.

Chinook
02-15-2016, 07:32 AM
Spurs would bite their hands off on something like Horford + Korver for Danny Green + Boris + picks, if only for the talent upgrade, however, a team like Boston could easily outbid the Spurs.

From what I've been reading, Boston is trying to low-ball the shit out of Atlanta right now. They don't even want to give up Jae Crowder for him. And all three of the Brooklyn picks are off the table. As I mentioned before, it seems like Horford's value is depressed enough to where the Spurs are going to be able to make a competitive offer if they so choose.

That said, they shouldn't offer any starter for Horford. He's not an upgrade to the team if they just create another hole. That's even more true when you consider that Horford is probably not going to help them get over the hump against Golden State. You don't trade your best guard defender for a big when you're already going to have to play small. That just doesn't make sense. And the Spurs haven't been a team that trades production/chemistry for talent. Add in the fact that Horford would probably take too long to integrate, and I see this as an off-season move at best.

Chinook
02-15-2016, 07:32 AM

You MFer.

Texas_Ranger
02-15-2016, 07:36 AM
if they are stupid enough to take Green for Horford, why not just try and get him for Bonner. :lol @ this trade. The Spurs don't need bigs, but they do need a bigger PG.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-15-2016, 07:43 AM
From what I've been reading, Boston is trying to low-ball the shit out of Atlanta right now. They don't even want to give up Jae Crowder for him. And all three of the Brooklyn picks are off the table. As I mentioned before, it seems like Horford's value is depressed enough to where the Spurs are going to be able to make a competitive offer if they so choose.

That said, they shouldn't offer any starter for Horford. He's not an upgrade to the team if they just create another hole. That's even more true when you consider that Horford is probably not going to help them get over the hump against Golden State. You don't trade your best guard defender for a big when you're already going to have to play small. That just doesn't make sense. And the Spurs haven't been a team that trades production/chemistry for talent. Add in the fact that Horford would probably take too long to integrate, and I see this as an off-season move at best.

I agree with everything about fit, timing, etc. It's true of course, however, in my opinion the talent upgrade would be too significant for the Spurs to pass on such a trade. They'd obviously be confident of re-signing him if they pull the trigger. 2017 cap space spent a year earlier, in a sense. They've done that.

Ainge is smart though, he's not going to lowball himself out of Horford's sweepstakes. He's doing it because he knows he's in pole position, but on trade deadline day I'm sure he'd be OK giving them a competitive offer to get it done. In any case whatever Atlanta get it'd be 50 cents on the dollar anyway.

spursparker9
02-15-2016, 07:43 AM
Is Danny hopeless already?

Chinook
02-15-2016, 08:09 AM
I agree with everything about fit, timing, etc. It's true of course, however, in my opinion the talent upgrade would be too significant for the Spurs to pass on such a trade. They'd obviously be confident of re-signing him if they pull the trigger. 2017 cap space spent a year earlier, in a sense. They've done that.

It wouldn't be too significant. It would concede this year to the Warriors while leaving them with the MLE to replace their starting two. The Spurs are good enough to win a championship this year; you don't waste Tim's last chance(s) for Hoford. And the point of 2017 cap space is to add to their core. Swapping out Green for Horford is limiting their flexibility, not expanding it.

Ainge is smart though, he's not going to lowball himself out of Horford's sweepstakes. He's doing it because he knows he's in pole position, but on trade deadline day I'm sure he'd be OK giving them a competitive offer to get it done. In any case whatever Atlanta get it'd be 50 cents on the dollar anyway.

Ainge has had some terrific assets over the recent years, and he still has nothing to show for them other than some good-but-not-great players. I don't know that he would be willing to part with the premium assets for Horford, and I don't even know if he should. Atlanta doesn't want to tank; they has the second-longest playoff streak in the league and want to maintain that. So they want actual rotation guys for Al. It might not make sense for Boston to offer guys like Bradley and Crowder if they don't think they can replace them, because Horford may not want to stay on a roster that doesn't have good talent. The Brooklyn picks are valuable enough, but the Hawks are pretty bad at drafting, so I could see them not wanting those too badly.

BillMc
02-15-2016, 08:14 AM
I agree we shouldn't do this. (If its still there in the summer that could be different). If the Spurs were seriously considering it, I would think that means 1) Timmy is done. 2) They think Simmons is ready for a bigger role.

Probably just a baseless rumor. Or RC being polite enough to take Bud's calls.

Russo21
02-15-2016, 08:45 AM
Baseless rumour but the Spurs would do that in a heartbeat. Simmons and Butler are doing ok to play at SG instead of Danny.

This is possibly Tim's last season, or if he plays next year he'll play fuck all games and probably only 15mins per game in the games he actually does play. Imagine a prime Leonard, Aldridge and Horford front court, watch out NBA for years to come!

If you can steal a player like Horford for Green you do it immediately and work the rest of the roster out as best you can. Oh and the Hawks have a descent front office, no way they do this.

Maddog
02-15-2016, 08:47 AM
I agree we shouldn't do this. (If its still there in the summer that could be different). If the Spurs were seriously considering it, I would think that means 1) Timmy is done. 2) They think Simmons is ready for a bigger role.

Probably just a baseless rumor. Or RC being polite enough to take Bud's calls.

Baseless rumor
1. Hawks can do better
2. Simmons not ready (love em but not quite there yet)
And maybe it's me, but not a big Horford fan don't think he adds a lot to the team...

RD2191
02-15-2016, 08:50 AM
Baseless rumour but the Spurs would do that in a heartbeat. Simmons and Butler are doing ok to play at SG instead of Danny.

This is possibly Tim's last season, or if he plays next year he'll play fuck all games and probably only 15mins per game in the games he actually does play. Imagine a prime Leonard, Aldridge and Horford front court, watch out NBA for years to come!

If you can steal a player like Horford for Green you do it immediately and work the rest of the roster out as best you can.
Tbh. And lol @ anyone saying the Spurs wouldn't do this. Getting an all star center for a 3-D SG is a no brainer imo.

RD2191
02-15-2016, 08:56 AM
Tspence trolling us tbh

Robz4000
02-15-2016, 09:01 AM
Tspence trolling us tbh

Tspence's word is law bruh.

CGD
02-15-2016, 09:02 AM
Setting aside the dubious source, isn't Al on the last year of his deal? Wouldn't he either be an expensive rental or someone the Spurs would have to pay a massive max salary under the new cap environment? If the latter Im not sure he's worth that, and neither does ATL which is why he's being shopped.

I love Al but even if this is something that gets more fuller consideration in the summer it just doesn't make sense from a personnel point. Spurs already have two post dominant players for their positions in LMA and Leonard. It seems like adding a third would kill and already spacing challenged team.

That said, salaries do match at this time. Will not be the case this summer.

Kikoluna
02-15-2016, 09:10 AM
Danny is an important asset. A lot of you don't appreciate his defense.:wakeup

Chinook
02-15-2016, 09:11 AM
Setting aside the dubious source, isn't Al on the last year of his deal? Wouldn't he either be an expensive rental or someone the Spurs would have to pay a massive max salary under the new cap environment? If the latter Im not sure he's worth that, and neither does ATL which is why he's being shopped.

I love Al but even if this is something that gets more fuller consideration in the summer it just doesn't make sense from a personnel point. Spurs already have two post dominant players for their positions in LMA and Leonard. It seems like adding a third would kill and already spacing challenged team.

That said, salaries do match at this time. Will not be the case this summer.

Horford can shoot from outside better than Aldridge and is a hell of a man defender. He, Leonard, and LMA would be really good, but it would definitely take time. And yeah, sacrificing a starting guard for another big isn't the smartest decision, even if a guy like Korver comes back in the deal.

CGD
02-15-2016, 09:17 AM
Horford can shoot from outside better than Aldridge and is a hell of a man defender. He, Leonard, and LMA would be really good, but it would definitely take time. And yeah, sacrificing a starting guard for another big isn't the smartest decision, even if a guy like Korver comes back in the deal.

Two thoughts:

1. What i is Bazemore coming back instead of Korver.

2. Doesn't ATL run the same stuff the Spurs do? That might help a transition.

raybies
02-15-2016, 09:47 AM
What did I wake up to? Danny green for al horford :lmao

Now I know why bud went to Atlanta on some spurs special forces shit.

On a seriousness note, Green, Milutinov, Bertans and 2017 first?

Chinook
02-15-2016, 09:54 AM
What did I wake up to? Danny green for al horford :lmao

Now I know why bud went to Atlanta on some spurs special forces shit.

On a seriousness note, Green, Milutinov, Bertans and 2017 first?

Posts like this make no sense. The point of the speculation wasn't that it was going to be straight up. If you think that adding in non-salary assets can make up the difference, then you are affirming the original structure of the trade. In that same way, my Diaw and Mills offer wasn't JUST Diaw and Mills. And Boston's offer isn't going to JUST be David Lee. But trade-machine-wise, it will be structured as Horford for Lee.

CGD
02-15-2016, 09:58 AM
Sound competitive with a Boston offer. Would hate to part with Bertans though.

Chinook
02-15-2016, 09:59 AM
Two thoughts:

1. What i is Bazemore coming back instead of Korver.

2. Doesn't ATL run the same stuff the Spurs do? That might help a transition.

1. It's better, but Kent wouldn't be re-signable by the Spurs due to his Early-Bird status combined with the Spurs not having cap space. Two-year deals are among the worst contracts for vets, as Atlanta should have learned with Carroll. Would rather have Sef from purely a roster standpoint even though that guy can blow chunks in the post-season.\

2. They have similar philosophies, but they are more of a three-point-shooting team and dribble-drive team, while the Spurs are post- and midrange-oriented. While Green (or Mills and Diaw) wouldn't have much of an issue sliding back into a catch-and-shoot role off penetration, the Hawks players haven't been running Spurs-style offense, and they'd have to adjust. That's probably most true for Horford, who hasn't played with anyone like LMA or Tim (Millsap is actually pretty similar to Kawhi).

raybies
02-15-2016, 10:15 AM
Posts like this make no sense. The point of the speculation wasn't that it was going to be straight up. If you think that adding in non-salary assets can make up the difference, then you are affirming the original structure of the trade. In that same way, my Diaw and Mills offer wasn't JUST Diaw and Mills. And Boston's offer isn't going to JUST be David Lee.

By mentioning milutinov and bertans, I was realizing for myself that we do have a couple valuable assets. Not sure I'd want to trade bertans though. The Latvian sniper is unreal. And we have picks. How much better could Atlanta do, in my scenario. I even think my deal is too much.

So what would your best offer look like? I posted mine. And yes I initially laughed at the idea but I guess it's because I have in the past underrated Green. He is on a team friendly deal and locked up for a few more years which is valuable with the cap going up.

I do like the idea of diaw, green, a prospect for korver and horford. Sure there will be a curve because of the new pieces but if you're looking short-term and long-term like patfo does it makes sense in the aspect that if you don't trade for him you're looking at guys like Noah, hibbert, Mozgov or a pick thus risking your frontline for a couple years.

Generally I don't entertain these trades but given the scope of this new era, I wouldn't be surprised if a move is made and I do think we have the assets.
All imo

coachmac87
02-15-2016, 10:17 AM
It's not about this season tho right?? This trade is all about post Duncan and not about winning championship this year. It's all about balancing the two. I mean honestly what are the chances we win it this year?? With the health of Big 3 being extremely inconsistent it makes you wonder if a risk like this is worth it.

raybies
02-15-2016, 10:22 AM
It's not about this season tho right?? This trade is all about post Duncan and not about winning championship this year. It's all about balancing the two. I mean honestly what are the chances we win it this year?? With the health of Big 3 being extremely inconsistent it makes you wonder if a risk like this is worth it.

I think we would still have a chance. The risk would be not having enough time to gel. A little less than half a season and the first round may be worth the risk for a top five center who fits what you want to do. But my question is can we realistically do better? I don't think so, so you have to at least talk to the hawks about it. I've posted before Horford was my dream scenario in free agency.

Chinook
02-15-2016, 10:32 AM
By mentioning milutinov and bertans, I was realizing for myself that we do have a couple valuable assets. Not sure I'd want to trade bertans though. The Latvian sniper is unreal. And we have picks. How much better could Atlanta do, in my scenario. I even think my deal is too much.

I honestly think that Bertans is getting massively overrated on this board. Dude is tall, has hops and can shoot well, but he's oft-injured, can't defend and is going to turn 24 next season. He's not even worth a late pick until he gets some time in the US to show what he can do. It would be awesome to see him, LJC and Cady in the summer league, but he's probably closer to even with those two as a prospect in my eyes.

So what would your best offer look like? I posted mine. And yes I initially laughed at the idea but I guess it's because I have in the past underrated Green. He is on a team friendly deal and locked up for a few more years which is valuable with the cap going up

I went with Mills, Diaw and three firsts, though the fact that Atlanta doesn't have a non-Schoder PG prospect on a cheap deal makes it non-ideal. I don't want to give the ball to McCallum, and I even less want to to into 206-2017 without a developmental guy locked up for four years. So if it could be tweaked to get someone like that into the fold, I'd feel comfortable with the trade.

I do like the idea of diaw, green, a prospect for korver and horford. Sure there will be a curve because of the new pieces but if you're looking short-term and long-term like patfo does it makes sense in the aspect that if you don't trade for him you're looking at guys like Noah, hibbert, Mozgov or a pick thus risking your frontline for a couple years.

While I certainly get the logic, it's not that dire. If Tim comes back, then you deal with the rotation you have with at least one of Cady, Bertans and LJC coming over to move into the prospect role. Only potentially tough decision would be West vs Boban, but this isn't the thread for that. If Tim leaves, I absolutely see West coming back and starting for another year. If they can make it through next season, they can use their massive cap space to hit the 2017 free-agent market, where guys like Ibaka and Griffin will be UFAs and guys like Noel will be RFAs.

Generally I don't entertain these trades but given the scope of this new era, I wouldn't be surprised if a move is made and I do think we have the assets.
All imo

I do think you're correct in that the Spurs are entering a different era. Some fans don't realize it's not going to be same old, same old. It started with the trade for Leonard. It intensified with the signing of LMA. But it's going to peak with them throwing a ton of cash at guys in 2017. But I don't think Green is going to be gone unless the Spurs can grade a two-guard who can carry the team. Would have to be someone as good as people think McCollum or Clarkson is, but in their primes. I don't think he's on the block this season, especially given his recent performance.

coachmac87
02-15-2016, 10:36 AM
I think we would still have a chance. The risk would be not having enough time to gel. A little less than half a season and the first round may be worth the risk for a top five center who fits what you want to do. But my question is can we realistically do better? I don't think so, so you have to at least talk to the hawks about it. I've posted before Horford was my dream scenario in free agency.

Agreed on all fronts. You literally can't do better...and time is key like you said. But it really boils down to what we give up and what's returning to unsure if we can make it work chemistry wise in 30+ games or so.

Adding Horford tho will allow us to impose our will in the playoffs a lot easier. Spurs must avoid small ball at all cost IMO

BillMc
02-15-2016, 10:52 AM

Al's wife is a former Miss Universe.

http://ionetheurbandaily.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/51363318.jpg

Tony will help Green pack.

cjw
02-15-2016, 11:01 AM
The Spurs are good enough to win a championship this year; you don't waste Tim's last chance(s) for Hoford. And the point of 2017 cap space is to add to their core. Swapping out Green for Horford is limiting their flexibility, not expanding it.

Wouldn't he either be an expensive rental or someone the Spurs would have to pay a massive max salary under the new cap environment?

Exactly on both fronts. This is why this doesn't make much sense, and also why Boston is low balling. 30% of $90 million (+/-) means a full max deal is $27 million next year. I don't blame Boston for low-balling. I'll take Danny at $11 million plus the $16 million of extra cap space over Horford every time. I don't know what $16 million affords you under the new cap, but this shows how valuable existing contracts are.

raybies
02-15-2016, 11:05 AM
I honestly think that Bertans is getting massively overrated on this board. Dude is tall, has hops and can shoot well, but he's oft-injured, can't defend and is going to turn 24 next season. He's not even worth a late pick until he gets some time in the US to show what he can do. It would be awesome to see him, LJC and Cady in the summer league, but he's probably closer to even with those two as a prospect in my eyes.
It's his shooting, it's deadly. Imo he is in a tier ahead of cady and ljc. His shooting is what makes him special. Look at the rate the 3pt shot has grown over the past few years. A lights out shooter is at a premium. I would imagine teams see him with the range he has and release and are salivating. Or he could be the next jimmer. :lol just saying, I'm buying stock in bertans. The only question is his health.

I went with Mills, Diaw and three firsts, though the fact that Atlanta doesn't have a non-Schoder PG prospect on a cheap deal makes it non-ideal. I don't want to give the ball to McCallum, and I even less want to to into 206-2017 without a developmental guy locked up for four years. So if it could be tweaked to get someone like that into the fold, I'd feel comfortable with the trade.

I'll keep this short, no way would I give up three firsts for Horford. We build through the draft and with the success rate we 've had our picks are way more valuable to us.

While I certainly get the logic, it's not that dire. If Tim comes back, then you deal with the rotation you have with at least one of Cady, Bertans and LJC coming over to move into the prospect role. Only potentially tough decision would be West vs Boban, but this isn't the thread for that. If Tim leaves, I absolutely see West coming back and starting for another year. If they can make it through next season, they can use their massive cap space to hit the 2017 free-agent market, where guys like Ibaka and Griffin will be UFAs and guys like Noel will be RFAs.

Griffin, ibaka, and Noel are power forwards. We will need a center and these guys are not spurs. Aldridge plays best as power forward against smaller players. We need a rim protector next to him. And when you have a chance to get a talent like horfords with the character he has, he's the best fit. Going into this new era, you don't want to sacrifice your morale for talent and as of now we have a three year window while Aldridge is here to show him we mean business and win a chip or else he might leave too. Horford is talented and he fits the mold and so would Korver for that matter.

I do think you're correct in that the Spurs are entering a different era. Some fans don't realize it's not going to be same old, same old. It started with the trade for Leonard. It intensified with the signing of LMA. But it's going to peak with them throwing a ton of cash at guys in 2017. But I don't think Green is going to be gone unless the Spurs can grade a two-guard who can carry the team. Would have to be someone as good as people think McCollum or Clarkson is, but in their primes. I don't think he's on the block this season, especially given his recent performance.

Yeah things will be different. Seeing us in a bidding war would make me sick before because we would lose but now we might actually have an attractive winning situation. I think if we can bypass this we do though.

Edit: well I tried...

BatManu20
02-15-2016, 11:11 AM
Horford for Danny.. yea okay :lol

tmtcsc
02-15-2016, 11:14 AM
If Atlanta calls with this trade proposal, you don't let them off the hook until the paperwork is signed. You get an All-Star for DG (A big for a small), you pull the trigger as quick as possible. This deal is a no-brainer and probably has no merit whatsoever. Too good to be true.

raybies
02-15-2016, 11:16 AM
Yeah :lol I've come full circle

tmtcsc
02-15-2016, 11:17 AM
The love affair with Danny Green by some posters (I'm looking right at you Chinook) is beyond silly. Green's defense and shooting has been sub-par this year. Just watch how fast Pop pulls Green off the floor for defensive mistakes. If there is one player on the roster that Pop has dreams of strangling, it's Green.

RD2191
02-15-2016, 11:18 AM
Spurs ain't ringing this year. I just don't see it. I don't even see them getting past the 2nd round tbh.

FromWayDowntown
02-15-2016, 11:19 AM
If Atlanta calls with this trade proposal, you don't let them off the hook until the paperwork is signed. You get an All-Star for DG (A big for a small), you pull the trigger as quick as possible. This deal is a no-brainer and probably has no merit whatsoever. Too good to be true.

While teams are generally free to do what they will with players, a deal like this one (which won't happen, since the deals the Spurs actually make almost never are the subject of rumors) might inspire an investigation into the nepotism between Pop and Bud.

Chinook
02-15-2016, 11:19 AM
Exactly on both fronts. This is why this doesn't make much sense, and also why Boston is low balling. 30% of $90 million (+/-) means a full max deal is $27 million next year. I don't blame Boston for low-balling. I'll take Danny at $11 million plus the $16 million of extra cap space over Horford every time. I don't know what $16 million affords you under the new cap, but this shows how valuable existing contracts are.

It's actually a little closer to $25 Million when you factor in the million less in cap and the .93 multiplier you have to put in to get the max salary from the cap. But yeah, it's a major question of value. If the Spurs get REALLY lucky, they could squeeze out a max for Horford, but it would require moving Mills, Anderson and Diaw for noting, West, Duncan and Manu opting out and the Spurs stashing/trading all of the firsts. That's so not worth it, it's not even funny.

Trading for him this year would be interesting only if the team can get away with mostly Diaw's salary being used as ballast. Thing is, they need to send out at least $9.6 Million to keep take back Horford.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=zaukfz6

With no more than a first and a prospect going over, as Kyle and Boban are prospects in their own rights. I would consider this deal, as Butler can fill the back-up three with Manu is out and the team has horses to run there anyway. Issue is, this would cost the Spurs a LOT of money. Like if the Spurs send Atlanta the cash to cover Diaw's buyout, then they would spend about $10 in additional cash on this deal. When you add in what they'd have to pay Horford next off-season, that's some STEEP shit.

But look at this rotation:

Parker, Mills, McCallum
Green, Ginobili, Holiday
Leonard, Simmons, Patterson
LMA, West, Butler
Horford, Duncan, Muscala

That's crazy-solid, and pretty much the entire backend is on non-guaranteed deals or options, so it would give the team roster flexibility with trades and with bringing guys over.

look_at_g_shred
02-15-2016, 11:21 AM
I don't see the spurs moving four guys at the deadline. Maybe one, and I think it be ray or butler.

Chinook
02-15-2016, 11:22 AM
While teams are generally free to do what they will with players, a deal like this one (which won't happen, since the deals the Spurs actually make almost never are the subject of rumors) might inspire an investigation into the nepotism between Pop and Bud.

I think if it were egregious, it could. Like Green for Horford over Crowder, Amir and the Brooklyn first this year would definitely cause some grumbling. But if it's Green, Bertans and a couple of firsts over David Lee and some of Boston's least attractive picks (their own first and the Minny pick for example), I don't think the league says anything. Even if Boston is willing to offer more and just doesn't get the chance, the league isn't going to dock the Hawks for not chasing Ainge around looking to make a deal with a conference rival.

FromWayDowntown
02-15-2016, 11:29 AM
I think if it were egregious, it could. Like Green for Horford over Crowder, Amir and the Brooklyn first this year would definitely cause some grumbling. But if it's Green, Bertans and a couple of firsts over David Lee and some of Boston's least attractive picks (their own first and the Minny pick for example), I don't think the league says anything. Even if Boston is willing to offer more and just doesn't get the chance, the league isn't going to dock the Hawks for not chasing Ainge around looking to make a deal with a conference rival.

I was being a bit sarcastic, though your specifics are well-taken. In particular, the Lakers might object to a sweetheart deal that goes unchecked by the league.

raybies
02-15-2016, 11:30 AM
I think it's fair to mention, traditionally spurs don't trade to rivals or in conference. Maybe Bud is of that mold. Jus sayin. In this case maybe bud doesn't want to help Boston get better and then have to play them in the playoffs...

Chinook
02-15-2016, 11:31 AM
The love affair with Danny Green by some posters (I'm looking right at you Chinook) is beyond silly. Green's defense and shooting has been sub-par this year. Just watch how fast Pop pulls Green off the floor for defensive mistakes. If there is one player on the roster that Pop has dreams of strangling, it's Green.

You've always looked like an ass for your Green hate, and not just because of you aesthetically pleasing avatar even if it's the entire impetus for my word choice. The team is all the sudden turning into an offensive juggernaut now that Green is shooting well, and it just goes right past you. I don't have to defend Green's importance to the team, as he has put in five years of starting to do that. But the Spurs are one light without him, and they probably don't even get LMA this season without his production.

No one in their right mind thinks Green didn't start off the year poorly. But just as many people should understand how different the Spurs are when he's playing well.

Chinook
02-15-2016, 11:32 AM
I was being a bit sarcastic, though your specifics are well-taken. In particular, the Lakers might object to a sweetheart deal that goes unchecked by the league.

Think more likely the Mavs and Knicks would.

tmtcsc
02-15-2016, 11:32 AM
Boris Diaw doesn't need to go anywhere. He's way too versatile for the Spurs to trade.

look_at_g_shred
02-15-2016, 11:36 AM
Sure lets just ship off one of the guys who will be vital against GSW. Not to mention one of our better 3 point shooters. Seems legit tho.

daledondale
02-15-2016, 11:36 AM
Too good to be truth.

Chinook
02-15-2016, 11:40 AM
It's his shooting, it's deadly. Imo he is in a tier ahead of cady and ljc. His shooting is what makes him special. Look at the rate the 3pt shot has grown over the past few years. A lights out shooter is at a premium. I would imagine teams see him with the range he has and release and are salivating. Or he could be the next jimmer. :lol just saying, I'm buying stock in bertans. The only question is his health.

And his defense, and his position, and his ability to adjust to significantly tougher competition.

I'll keep this short, no way would I give up three firsts for Horford. We build through the draft and with the success rate we 've had our picks are way more valuable to us.

I don't disagree, but the Spurs have a long history of moving picks during a title push. And with the coffers being so full from stashing, it's not a bad time to make such a move. They just need to find a young guard.

Griffin, ibaka, and Noel are power forwards. We will need a center and these guys are not spurs. Aldridge plays best as power forward against smaller players. We need a rim protector next to him. And when you have a chance to get a talent like horfords with the character he has, he's the best fit. Going into this new era, you don't want to sacrifice your morale for talent and as of now we have a three year window while Aldridge is here to show him we mean business and win a chip or else he might leave too. Horford is talented and he fits the mold and so would Korver for that matter.

Aldridge is playing best as a center right now. And those guys aren't smaller than Horford is. Ibaka and Noel are much better rim-protectors than Horford as well. LMA is going to be a center going forward, as there just aren't many players who are bigger than him who can play in this league. The best thing the Spurs can do is get the best big to put next to him that they can so teams can't just beat him up inside. You don't turn down a star PF because LMA thinks of himself as a four. That's silly. And they're not concerned with 32-year-old LMA opting out in 2018. Too many things will happen before them.

Yeah things will be different. Seeing us in a bidding war would make me sick before because we would lose but now we might actually have an attractive winning situation. I think if we can bypass this we do though.

Nah, the Spurs will just be bidding for a two-guard instead of a center in a market where they aren't really that easy to find.

Chinook
02-15-2016, 11:41 AM
Boris Diaw doesn't need to go anywhere. He's way too versatile for the Spurs to trade.

Now that's a dude who's playing poorly right now. Can't post-up anyone unless he has a mismatch, doesn't defend and isn't hitting from outside. And his contract is structured to be traded, unlike Green's. I'm not against keeping them both, but it makes no sense to consider him a keeping (and push one of him or West out of the rotation) so you can trade your starting two-guard for a center.

tmtcsc
02-15-2016, 11:47 AM
You've always looked like an ass for your Green hate, and not just because of you aesthetically pleasing avatar even if it's the entire impetus for my word choice. The team is all the sudden turning into an offensive juggernaut now that Green is shooting well, and it just goes right past you. I don't have to defend Green's importance to the team, as he has put in five years of starting to do that. But the Spurs are one light without him, and they probably don't even get LMA this season without his production.

No one in their right mind thinks Green didn't start off the year poorly. But just as many people should understand how different the Spurs are when he's playing well.

You actually think I HATE on Green because I saw the logic in letting him leave via FA if it meant getting Aldridge? If I'm not mistaken, you said you didn't want Aldridge if meant losing Green. Now you think I'm continuing to HATE on Green if it means getting Al Holford? Man, you are twisted. Both those BIGS are All-Star caliber players and the Spurs are going to have a HUGE hole in the middle when Tim likely retires.

Jonathan Simmons (Rookie) is at a 12 PER this season while Green is at 10.75. Green is making $11 million this season and is averaging 1.5 points (7.5) more than Simmons. If Green really looked like a difference maker on defense, I could see your point but he's not. He has struggled mightily this year both on D and offense.

SMH at you thinking the Spurs are looking like an offensive juggernaut recently because of Green and NOT Aldridge's fantastic play of late. What's wrong with you?

Chinook
02-15-2016, 12:00 PM
You actually think I HATE on Green because I saw the logic in letting him leave via FA if it meant getting Aldridge? If I'm not mistaken, you said you didn't want Aldridge if meant losing Green. Now you think I'm continuing to HATE on Green if it means getting Al Holford? Man, you are twisted. Both those BIGS are All-Star caliber players and the Spurs are going to have a HUGE hole in the middle when Tim likely retires.

Yeah, and I didn't want LMA if it meant losing Green, for the exact reason I don't want to trade him for Horford now. The team would have no starting two-guard and would be a paper tiger. The Spurs clearly wanted to keep Green as well, hence why they gave away Splitter. And I don't think they'd consider moving Green for Horford now. For all the talk about the hole the Spurs will have once Tim leaves, you're completely ignoring that Tim is here NOW.

The Spurs won't be concerned with replacing Tim until he's gone, and they only want to give him the best chance to win another title. Moving Green for Horford DOESN'T do that, because it's a perimeter-oriented game, and you need guards who can defend more than you need a third high-level big. And again, you're in favor of making one of Diaw or West the fifth big and completely skewing the roster. That's what's twisted.

Jonathan Simmons (Rookie) is at a 12 PER this season while Green is at 10.75. Green is making $11 million this season and is averaging 1.5 points (7.5) more than Simmons. If Green really looked like a difference maker on defense, I could see your point but he's not. He has struggled mightily this year both on D and offense.

What date is it to you? Because here in 2016, Green is playing MUCH better. He can't do anything about how horrible he was the start the year. That will affect his averages for the whole season. But that you ignore or don't know how much better he's been suggests you haven't been watching recent games. I call that hate, as it's not grounded in reality.

SMH at you thinking the Spurs are looking like an offensive juggernaut recently because of Green and NOT Aldridge's fantastic play of late. What's wrong with you?

Yeah, no. LMA has been playing well, no doubt. But the reason why the first unit is playing better is because Green is actually pulling his weight on that end now. He has one of the highest gravity ratings in the league, and that opens up the offense for everyone else. I don't expect you to understand that, as you are trying to use stats like PER to measure his worth. LMA has been having a better time of it now that he's let himself flow with the offense. It's not like he's just beasting over double-teams. He's benefited from Green's spacing more than the other way around.

eDizzle20
02-15-2016, 12:11 PM
Not sure why the Hawks would trade Horford being only 29 and in the prime of his career unless they assume he's gonna be gone in free agency.

BatManu20
02-15-2016, 12:18 PM

BatManu20
02-15-2016, 12:19 PM
Not sure why the Hawks would trade Horford being only 29 and in the prime of his career unless they assume he's gonna be gone in free agency.

I wouldn't stay there if I were him, but money talks.

CGD
02-15-2016, 12:20 PM
Now that's a dude who's playing poorly right now. Can't post-up anyone unless he has a mismatch, doesn't defend and isn't hitting from outside. And his contract is structured to be traded, unlike Green's. I'm not against keeping them both, but it makes no sense to consider him a keeping (and push one of him or West out of the rotation) so you can trade your starting two-guard for a center.

The mobility of Boris' contract starts to get interesting right around now. If the trade is centered around him it'd take multiple future firsts to get Atlanta on board and another good small asset like Simmons or Anderson.

But that isn't so bad. The picks will be in the 20s + if the Spurs have done their homework some of the stashes should be coming home to roost.

For me the question is whether Hortford is the guy you want to commit 25m+ a year too for the long haul. For me a long term upgrade to the PG or SG is where I'd shell the money. Like if the Wiz implode in two years id start making calls on an older John Wall.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-15-2016, 12:21 PM

Either this or they don't want to pay him $150 million.

Chinook
02-15-2016, 12:34 PM
Horford's per-36 numbers are 17/8/4/1/2 on 51/34/78. Those are solid numbers. But they aren't superstar numbers. Those would put him behind Kawhi and LMA and about even with Parker. Obviously the benefit is supposed to be defense, but his DRtg is mediocre for a defensive big. I'm sure would be better on the Spurs, but it's not great. The point is that Al isn't a guy worth breaking up a championship-caliber rotation for. If you can keep your basic rotation and add him, hell yeah, you do it. You even give up premium value in terms of non-rotation pieces. But you don't sell the farm for him.

And CGD's point is well noted, but at the same time, you are going to have to pay market value for each of these players anyway.

ace3g
02-15-2016, 12:54 PM
Frank IsolaVerified account‏@FisolaNYDN (https://twitter.com/FisolaNYDN)

Dwight Howard could be moved by Thursday's trade deadline. Miami is talking with Houston about a deal that would include Hassan Whiteside.

cd021
02-15-2016, 12:56 PM

I forgot where i heard this from (it may have been CBS eye on basketball podcast) but they said that there is concern in Atlanta's front office) that he will walk in FA.

HarlemHeat37
02-15-2016, 12:58 PM
Hawks should trade Horford for anything they can get, tbh..he's in the same territory as Mike Conley(Horford is better), a #3 guy on a title team that will get paid close to #1 salary..

apalisoc_9
02-15-2016, 12:59 PM
Horford will probably end up in Toronto or Boston...these two teams have the most asset and have players they are willing to trade.

HarlemHeat37
02-15-2016, 01:00 PM

Green has easily been the 3rd best player on the team since 2016 began, which is what was expected, since he was also the 3rd best player, last year..

Horford is obviously much better, but if you're left with an inexperienced player and poor defender like Simmons starting in the playoffs, you're fucked, especially if Ginoboli can't play big minutes..

CGD
02-15-2016, 01:14 PM
Hawks should trade Horford for anything they can get, tbh..he's in the same territory as Mike Conley(Horford is better), a #3 guy on a title team that will get paid close to #1 salary..

Since we're having fun and nothing else, mike Conley, if I had my druthers, is someone I'd call about right around now. That Gasol injury changes it all for them. Bobo, a current asset, and a few future ones come to mind.

As an side, If Hortford (or Conley) were traded the receiving team would get bird rights correct?

timtonymanu
02-15-2016, 01:17 PM
You'd have to be a damn fool to think Simmons can replace everything Green does. Also it doesn't make sense for the Spurs to add more size to their frontcourt when a backcourt player is more needed at this point.

BatManu20
02-15-2016, 01:20 PM
The Clippers reportedly offered Blake Griffin & Lance Stephenson to the Nuggets for Kenneth Faried, Danilo Gallinari, Will Barton, & Nikola Jokic.

Needless to say, Denver turned it down :lol

Chinook
02-15-2016, 01:26 PM
You'd have to be a damn fool to think Simmons can replace everything Green does. Also it doesn't make sense for the Spurs to add more size to their frontcourt when a backcourt player is more needed at this point.

Yeah, but damn, you can't tell some people.

CGD
The Clippers reportedly offered Blake Griffin & Lance Stephenson to the Nuggets for Kenneth Faried, Danilo Gallinari, Will Barton, & Nikola Jokic.

Needless to say, Denver turned it down :lol

A version of that trade makes too much sense not to happen. Adding Jokic AND Barton is too much though.

Chinook
SAs an side, If Hortford (or Conley) were traded the receiving team would get bird rights correct?

Yep.

Blake
I found some reasonable trade ideas:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58188&highlight=trade+beno

SAGirl
02-15-2016, 01:27 PM

Isn't it impossible in the off-season though? No cap space, plus Horford can go to Boston anyways at that point. I am guessing, but that is what Boston is hoping, to get him over the summer as well, thus the lowball offers.

For us, it would only make sense if Timmy is retiring. The kind of patchup job that would be needed would require bumping both Simmons and Anderson in roles (since the trade would be for Green-Diaw). It would make us a worse team this season, but maybe better next season banking on improvement from them, + Bertans. Again, only if Timmy is retiring. You have to give up someone to get someone.

I somehow think we stand pat, but only Spurs know if this is really Timmy' s last season and how ready they are for next season without him. You'd probably have to bump Anderson in role anyways next season, as well as Simmons and Bertans if he's here and healthy bc Manu's production could be gone as well. Considering the major changes the team might go through when the vets retire anyways, something might need to be done.

Chinook
02-15-2016, 01:36 PM
CoG take: You only do this if you trade Anderson, Diaw and Marjanovic.

CoA take: I agree, you have to promote Anderson after trading Green.

Gotta love perspective.

Chinook
02-15-2016, 01:38 PM
Isn't it impossible in the off-season though? No cap space, plus Horford can go to Boston anyways at that point. I am guessing, but that is what Boston is hoping, to get him over the summer as well, thus the lowball offers.

It's not impossible, but it's SIGNIFICANTLY harder to sign him outright in the summer than to trade for him now. But they could S&T him next summer with less difficulty (Green, Diaw and Mills would match salaries, and that'd be a hell of an offer for an outgoing player). Of course, as I keep repeating, you don't move core guys for Horford. So I wouldn't do it unless there were some really good players lined up to join the roster.

apalisoc_9
02-15-2016, 01:39 PM
Noel plays the center position like 80% of the time now. Hes a center

A great defensive center. Most likely top 3.

Go look at the advanced stats last year..Noel was in top 10 in virtually all defensive category.

But its a pipe dream to hope for Noel..i cant think of a scenario where he gets traded. Hes probably their best player right now

Chinook
02-15-2016, 01:42 PM

Go look at the advanced stats last year..Noel was in top 10 in virtually all defensive category.

But its a pipe dream to hope for Noel..i cant think of a scenario where he gets traded. Hes probably their best player right now

Talking about maxing him out as an RFA in 2017. With Okafor, Embiid, Saric and maybe Simmons, it's not going to make a bunch of sense to keep him (since none of those guys can space the floor). Though, as you said, he's their best player and should probably be kept above any of those guys.

SAGirl
02-15-2016, 01:45 PM
This is an important aspect when you consider Manu Ginobili, who is going to return possibly out of rhythm and even when healthy the postseason was going to be a challenge for him. He looked wildly overmatched against GSW and Cavs. Then Tony has already been banged up with portraying injuries and he wasn't playing well his last few games. I'd say since the GSW game, Tony hasn't had good games. It really has been LMA and Kawhi stepping up their production. IMO we were already in an uphill battle this season bc our backcourt is old and the younger guys are not at their talent level. I'd hate to part with Danny bc he would make us weaker this season, but if we don't make a move we might be out both this season and the next anyways when Timmy and Manu's retire and you have nothing but roleplayers to take their spots.

apalisoc_9
02-15-2016, 01:47 PM
Talking about maxing him out as an RFA in 2017. With Okafor, Embiid, Saric and maybe Simmons, it's not going to make a bunch of sense to keep him (since none of those guys can space the floor). Though, as you said, he's their best player and should probably be kept above any of those guys.

I just skimmed through post tbh and assumed someone wanted to trade for him. :lol...

So hes a RFA this upcoming season? Wow had no idea. Nkt sure what his market is though...someone might max him out.

At this point, Id rather they find a spacing 4 for next year. Aldridge will probably play center once Duncan retires..

coachmac87
02-15-2016, 01:49 PM
Hawks Get: Green, Diaw, Butler + 1st

Spurs Get: Horford, Sefolosha

r0drig0lac
02-15-2016, 01:49 PM

Noel would really be a dream, unfortunately we have nothing to offer

Chinook
02-15-2016, 01:52 PM
I just skimmed through post tbh and assumed someone wanted to trade for him. :lol...

So hes a RFA this upcoming season? Wow had no idea. Nkt sure what his market is though...someone might max him out.

At this point, Id rather they find a spacing 4 for next year. Aldridge will probably play center once Duncan retires..

He's an RFA AFTER this upcoming season, so the summer of 2017. That's when the Spurs will have like $50 Million in cap space. I agree LMA should stay at the five once Tim leaves, and Ibaka would be a perfect compliment to him provided that his dip in production this season isn't due to him declining physically.

Chinook
02-15-2016, 01:53 PM
Hawks Get: Green, Diaw, Butler + 1st

Spurs Get: Horford, Sefolosha

Better, but why Butler? Would rather trade Bonner, though the team doesn't have to trade anyone.

coachmac87
02-15-2016, 01:54 PM
Better, but why Butler? Would rather trade Bonner, though the team doesn't have to trade anyone.

Just a throw in lol. I wasn't sure if he was needed to make it work.

apalisoc_9
02-15-2016, 01:55 PM
Anyone wanting to trade Green.for Horfod is probably a dumbass though.

Green is a much more valubale player in a potential GSW series. Thats the main key here..If you lose green, you pressure kawhi too much on the defensive end. Its a dominos effect with the wings tbh.

Lose green and you end with these 5 things

1. Add more pressure on Leonard defesnively
2. Lose the only other natural 3 pointer
3. With more pressure on Leonard defensively, his offense is going to struggle
4. More Mills and Parker on Curry and Livingston
5. Ginobili legs is going to get a beating.

I'm not sure how anyone in the world who has wached GSW would want green traded. You need two elite defenders against GSW...

apalisoc_9
02-15-2016, 01:58 PM
He's an RFA AFTER this upcoming season, so the summer of 2017. That's when the Spurs will have like $50 Million in cap space. I agree LMA should stay at the five once Tim leaves, and Ibaka would be a perfect compliment to him provided that his dip in production this season isn't due to him declining physically.

Westbrook runs majority of His PnR with Kanter in the few minutes he plays with both ibaka and Kanter. The minutes are also staggered now to allow Kanter some room offensively. They clearly believe Kanter is a superior offensive player and he is...

Chinook
02-15-2016, 02:00 PM
Just a throw in lol. I wasn't sure if he was needed to make it work.

Nope. But what it does do, which is really important, is that it gets them out of the tax, saving them million of dollars. I don't think they'd dump a rotation player for nothing to get under the tax, but if they just needed to drop an end-of-bench guy, I don't see them turning it down. That's kinda like how they added TJ Ford's contract to the Jack/Jefferson deal after Ford had already called it quits.

Chinook
02-15-2016, 02:05 PM
Westbrook runs majority of His PnR with Kanter in the few minutes he plays with both ibaka and Kanter. The minutes are also staggered now to allow Kanter some room offensively. They clearly believe Kanter is a superior offensive player and he is...

Yeah, Ibaka is a floor-spacer, and that would work well with Kawhi playing in the post, and it would allow LMA to roll more than he is currently doing. And Ibaka is a plus defending the PnR which is essential going forward. I like potential of some of the young bigs in the team's pipeline to be defensive difference-makers. But I'm not banking on them starting next to LMA for a while.

SpursFan86
02-15-2016, 02:06 PM
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/240799/Ricky-Rubio-Available-Ahead-Of-Trade-Deadline

Don't really trust Isola (also the one reporting that a Whiteside/Dwight trade is being discussed), but it's worth mentioning.

apalisoc_9
02-15-2016, 02:08 PM
Anyways, the spurs have a gazillion( 4 really)of option i the summer of 2017 for bigs. Makes Duncan playing next year a must if they choose to keep the current team.