View Full Version : San Antonio should be ashamed

Kori Ellis
09-23-2005, 10:55 AM
San Antonio should be ashamed
By GIL LEBRETON

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/football/12721597.htm

Looters should be shot.

And that includes you, too, San Antonio.

In the wake of the largest natural disaster in U.S. history, the citizens of hurricane-ravaged New Orleans often have had to rely upon the kindness of strangers.

But what sort of purported good Samaritan welcomes a city with one hand, while robbing it with the other?

Call San Antonio's coveting of the New Orleans Saints what you will. I call it looting - to take or carry off as plunder; to steal.

San Antonio doesn't deserve an NFL team. For preying upon one community's misfortunes, it deserves the disdain of every decent city in America.

The floodwaters were still rushing into New Orleans three weeks ago, when Saints owner Tom Benson made the decision to relocate his team's practices and offices to his second home of San Antonio. Saints fans, accustomed to distrusting the owner's motives, immediately saw the "evacuation" as the lowest in a long line of Benson low blows.

Benson had previously used threats of moving the team as leverage to extract more money and concessions from the state of Louisiana. The tactic has proven to be more than profitable for the Benson family. Since state funds were allocated to guarantee any Benson shortfalls, the Saints' reported revenues have ranked not at the bottom of the NFL, but in the middle, among some cities twice New Orleans' size.

But there is no honor among thieves. Benson -- always -- wants more money. And San Antonio is willing to sell its soul to give him some.

The Saints have been in New Orleans since their expansion season of 1967. The team is as much a part of the fabric of the city as, well, the Spurs are in San Antonio.

Thank heavens Thursday night that Hurricane Rita appeared to be veering toward the east.

Thank heavens, because what if a major disaster had befallen San Antonio? What if a tornado had killed hundreds and made much of the city uninhabitable?

And what if the mayor of, say, Las Vegas had called a press conference and invited San Antonio's beloved Spurs to come stay awhile, if not permanently? Las Vegas, most NBA watchers agree, looms as the next city on the list to get a league franchise. It has already been awarded the 2007 NBA All-Star Game.

Steal the Spurs? Why not? It would be no different than what San Antonio is trying to do to New Orleans.

At a breakfast meeting last week, the San Antonio Chamber of Commerce rallied its area corporate heads. Former mayor Henry Cisneros shamelessly preached to the congregation about stealing the Saints, calling it "a financial affirmation of economic momentum,"" according to the San Antonio Express-News.

One lowlife city councilman called Cisneros' speech "stirring -- something out of Braveheart."

Like I said, there is no honor among thieves.

In a lengthy question-and-answer session, however, that appeared Monday in The Times-Picayune of New Orleans, NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue reaffirmed the league's position.

"We're going to do everything possible to make sure there's a New Orleans Saints," Tagliabue said.

A lot will depend, Tagliabue properly added, on what sort of New Orleans emerges from the muddy rubble. The league has long been fond of New Orleans. It hosted the fourth Super Bowl, and nine in all. When Donald Trump throws his hat and hair into the ring and professes his interest in helping to rebuild the city, as he did this week, Tagliabue is inclined to listen.

Besides, the commissioner told The Times-Picayune, "We're not going to be moving any teams into small markets ...We're going to be moving up in market size, not down or flat."

In San Antonio, the mayor, among others, promptly bristled at the insinuation that his city was small-time.

Tagliabue never said exactly that. But if the commissioner had used the term "small-minded," he wouldn't have gotten an argument here.

Since Tagliabue brought it up, however, let's define the parameters.

First and foremost, consider the building that will be temporarily housing the Saints for part of this season. The Alamodome, built 12 years ago, has ample seating capacity, but lacks the amenities to which the NFL has become accustomed.

It has, for example, only 34 luxury suites. Houston's Reliant Stadium, home of the NFL Texans, has 188. Texas Stadium has 380.

The Spurs, despite their NBA championships, reportedly had trouble selling all of their 51 suites last season at the SBC Center.

According to the San Antonio paper, a study commissioned by the city five years ago estimated that it would cost $136 million to redo the Alamodome to NFL standards.

Good luck with that bond election, brave hearts. It was a district in San Antonio's Bexar County that led to the infamous Robin Hood school funding plan, "robbing" from the property-rich districts to fund the poor. Every school district in Bexar County receives Robin Hood funds.

How much will Tom Benson get?

Mayor Phil Hardberger noted that San Antonio is the nation's eighth-largest city in population. Maybe, but the metropolitan area ranks somewhere around 30th. As a TV market, San Antonio ranks No. 37.

Both of those, let me suggest, aren't real-life figures in NFL terms. The league already has two teams in Texas, and neither likely would be fond of relinquishing any share of the TV or merchandising market to a San Antonio franchise.

San Antonio, for the most part, is Cowboys country. The city has proven that.

If the Fox affiliate dares to show a Saints road game over a Cowboys one this season, expect San Antonio viewers to be livid.

Subtract all the Cowboys fans from the San Antonio metro population, therefore, and eliminate them from the TV audience, and where does "small market" San Antonio rank now?

The NFL, let me suggest, would make its mark better in Birmingham, Ala., or Portland, Ore.

It will be interesting to see how many Saints tickets are sold in San Antonio after Tagliabue's "small market" comment came to light.

Tagliabue, it appears, only wants to do the right thing. And the moral road, in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, is to allow no looting, no preying upon a city that already has been ravaged and can't yet defend itself.

Thank heavens that Hurricane Rita and any deadly tornadoes appear to be veering elsewhere.

Thank heavens, because you never know. Some city might have come to San Antonio's "rescue" and lusted after the Spurs.

Shame on you, San Antonio.

FromWayDowntown
09-23-2005, 10:58 AM
Kori -- you might want to consolidate:

San Antonio Should Be Ashamed (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25677)

Johnny_Blaze_47
The mayor is white.

We're "finders."

travis2
you beat me to it...:lol

Kori Ellis
09-23-2005, 10:59 AM

San Antonio Should Be Ashamed (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25677)

Yeah, I saw it there. But it can be here too.

Suns Fan
09-23-2005, 10:59 AM

Moderating a moderator , priceless :lmao

Vashner
09-23-2005, 11:00 AM
Welcome to San Antonio dude... flips out a switchblade.. now hand over your franchise...

mouse
09-23-2005, 11:01 AM
That looks like a topic I would make to get folks all lathered up. seems to be working.

FromWayDowntown
09-23-2005, 11:01 AM
Moderating a moderator , priceless :lmao

Just trying to help.

mouse
09-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Just trying to help.

Your to late, you must work for FEMA :lmao

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-23-2005, 11:04 AM
I call bullshit on "All districts get Robin Hood."

nkdlunch
09-23-2005, 11:05 AM
Wow, he said San Antonians should be shot????!

If I was San Antonian, I would hunt this guy down and give him a good beating, serious

batman2883
09-23-2005, 11:12 AM
Screw people like that its not our fault they were going to lose the Saints anyways.....this just sped up the process

TheTruth
09-23-2005, 11:15 AM
this guy better not come into my hood...floresville folks don't take kindly to people shitting on our big brother San Antonio.

CharlieMac
09-23-2005, 11:28 AM
Gimme a break, the NFL and others labeling the Saints before they're going to try to relocate them to LA, "America's Team" is more shallow than us wanting a team.

How can you call a team that, when no even went to their games last year and they were already on the brink of leaving?

Oh that's right, it involves money.

TonyMontana
09-23-2005, 11:30 AM
may the best city win.

instead of pointing a finger at San Antonio, which has opened it's arms to many, many people in need of help from New Orleans, and using it to add fuel to the fire, this writer needs to ask himself WHY BENSON WANTS TO MOVE THE TEAM.

If, as he says, it's for a more lucrative deal, Then what does the City of New Orleans and it's city gov't need to do to KEEP IT'S TEAM!

Til then, MAY THE BEST CITY WIN. Bottomline. Guilt trips are for the weak.

San Antonio Saints, Coming Soon...:smokin :drink

batman2883
09-23-2005, 11:33 AM
as i've said before

SAS= San Antonio Spurs
SAS=San Antonio Saints

coincidence??? i think not.....god is putting these hurricanes towards this area so that all the people can evacuate and flee to San Antonio therefore making San Antonio a bigger market, so that the damn commish could just bow down and give us a damn NFL team

mouse
09-23-2005, 11:35 AM
Wow, he said San Antonians should be shot????!

If I was San Antonian,

That's the problem the real ones only live on the soutside, and they all have guns and wear life vest anyway

SWC Bonfire
09-23-2005, 12:00 PM
as i've said before

SAS= San Antonio Spurs
SAS=San Antonio Saints

coincidence??? i think not.....god is putting these hurricanes towards this area so that all the people can evacuate and flee to San Antonio therefore making San Antonio a bigger market, so that the damn commish could just bow down and give us a damn NFL team

It's the San Antonio Santos.:tu

TOP-CHERRY
09-23-2005, 12:01 PM
Awaiting TheWriter's response...

:D

TheTruth
09-23-2005, 12:02 PM
It's the San Antonio Santos.:tu
Negative, The San Antonio Sanchos would work better.

TonyMontana
09-23-2005, 12:25 PM
Negative, The San Antonio Sanchos would work better.

orale, the San Antonio Sopapillas!

we are your sopapilla headquarters!

TOP-CHERRY
09-23-2005, 12:28 PM
What's that?

bigzak25
09-23-2005, 01:13 PM
What's that?

i should spank you for not knowing what a sopapila is.

i take it you've never been to Pancho's All You Can Eat Mexican Buffet?

you must be a white girl or sista...:lol

here ya go...

welcome to San Antonio Culture!

http://images.google.com/images?q=sopapilla&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images

TOP-CHERRY
09-23-2005, 01:17 PM
:lol

Oh yeah, I think I've had those before.
:D

TheWriter
09-23-2005, 01:55 PM
Thank heavens, because what if a major disaster had befallen San Antonio? What if a tornado had killed hundreds and made much of the city uninhabitable?

Fucking idiot.

hussker
09-23-2005, 09:32 PM
as i've said before

SAS= San Antonio Spurs
SAS=San Antonio Saints

Watch out...
Steven A Smith will sue you like the Angels are suing the Admiral!

Solid D
09-23-2005, 09:54 PM
San Antonio looted Michael Finley from Dallas, a city sitting dead in the water and having to pay a $51M in damages not covered by insurance.

picnroll
09-23-2005, 09:58 PM
Not a football fan in the least but I seem to recall when SA was trying to get a franchise in the expansion Allas and Houston owners were opposing it because they wanted to keep SA in their market. Is that fair of Dallas?

whottt
09-23-2005, 10:27 PM
I still like, "The San Antonio Fuck the Poor"...it's catchy, and it fits.

Mijo
09-23-2005, 10:38 PM
I still like, "The San Antonio Fuck the Poor"...it's catchy, and it fits. Well, considering the location of the Alamodome.... It should work like a charm.

Not that I'm not wealthy and live in a house on the northside that I can barely afford or anything. :oops

bigzak25
09-23-2005, 11:41 PM
Well, considering the location of the Alamodome.... It should work like a charm.

Not that I'm not wealthy and live in a house on the northside that I can barely afford or anything. :oops

that was harsh...you don't think your better than those people now do you...

bigzak25
09-23-2005, 11:49 PM
I still like, "The San Antonio Fuck the Poor"...it's catchy, and it fits.

whottt the fuck is that supposed to mean?

thanks in advance for your answer...:tu

bigzak25
09-23-2005, 11:55 PM
Watch out...
Steven A Smith will sue you like the Angels are suing the Admiral!

Steven A Smith has no fuckin say in ANYTHING San Antonio...

the dumbfuck needs to keep his ass firmly attached to his kneepads at the base of any and every black east and west coast balla...Fuck SAS.

but i like his style...:lmao