PDA

View Full Version : Interesting thing about Cruz killing it in Iowa...

CosmicCowboy
02-01-2016, 11:10 PM
He is the one candidate that came out and said he was against ethanol subsidies. The only one. In Iowa. And won. Is this the beginning of the end for that shit they mandate to be in our gasoline because corn farmers will vote for it?

baseline bum
02-01-2016, 11:13 PM
Nothing strange to see people vote against their self interest for the jeebus candidate tbh

DMX7
02-01-2016, 11:20 PM
He is the one candidate that came out and said he was against ethanol subsidies. The only one. In Iowa. And won. Is this the beginning of the end for that shit they mandate to be in our gasoline because corn farmers will vote for it?

No, he could get away with that and beat Trump because he is seen as authentically evangelical and has been working that state for a year now.

TheGreatYacht
02-01-2016, 11:28 PM
People thinking Trump had a chance :lol red necks

hitmanyr2k
02-01-2016, 11:29 PM
Good lord. Ted Cruz just screams televangelist. All that's missing in his victory speech is the organ.

ChumpDumper
02-01-2016, 11:36 PM
Jesus > corn > family

Wild Cobra
02-01-2016, 11:43 PM
With all the big farms, how many votes does this truly affect?

I'm sure most residents will say one thing, but vote differently.

pgardn
02-01-2016, 11:44 PM

He also said that limiting the % of ethanol in gasoline was the real problem. He said Iowa would continue to produce ethanol because we can use more of it in our gasoline. Therefore, they would not need subsidies.

Drachen
02-01-2016, 11:47 PM
He also said that limiting the % of ethanol in gasoline was the real problem. He said Iowa would continue to produce ethanol because we can use more of it in our gasoline. Therefore, they would not need subsidies.

I thought that this was what he meant, but I thought "nah, because that would ruin our cars

ChumpDumper
02-01-2016, 11:48 PM
Do they have a lot of switch grass in Iowa?

pgardn
02-01-2016, 11:51 PM
I thought that this was what he meant, but I thought "nah, because that would ruin our cars

I heard it in the debate.

I know ethanol does have a tendency to attract water which is very bad for internal combustion. But I don't know the consequences of a higher % of ethanol that is pure.

CosmicCowboy
02-01-2016, 11:57 PM
Ethanol has lower btu per gallon than pure gasoline and is much harder on engines, corrodes gaskets, etc. ethanol costs more and gets worse mileage.

ducks
02-02-2016, 12:24 AM
Cruz lost Iowa it was over
Be a flat out war against Rubio and Cruz

Pelicans78
02-02-2016, 07:12 AM
I agree with Cruz on that issue. Our tax money shouldn't subsidize corn ethanol.

boutons_deux
02-02-2016, 07:28 AM
Santorum, Huckabee, Cruz, voted Bishops of IA, and then disappear.

only 7% of IA's economy is corn. 20%+ is financial

Pelicans78
02-02-2016, 07:34 AM
Cruz has a stronger ground game compared to Santorum and Huckabee. Cruz has supporters from the evangelicals, libertarians, and Tea Party types. He will get voters from Carson and Paul eventually. But Rubio will be tough to beat. Cruz needs Trump out of the way to take on Rubio.

Splits
02-02-2016, 08:03 AM
I'm just glad I don't have to hear about one of the shittiest states in the union again for another 4 years. Fuck Iowa.

RandomGuy
02-02-2016, 08:19 AM

Iowans take their first in the nation thing seriously. My understanding is that they are among some of the most informed voters in the US.

pgardn
02-02-2016, 08:39 AM
Ethanol has lower btu per gallon than pure gasoline and is much harder on engines, corrodes gaskets, etc. ethanol costs more and gets worse mileage.

The corrosion part is weird because in theory pure ethanol should burn cleaner.

Lots of variables though. The amount of O2 mixing would also be very important for example. And BTUs is only one way to look at it as far as work actually being done. Mileage.. That also could be highly variable.

I need to read some stuff. This is more complicated than expected although I don't doubt your assertion.

boutons_deux
02-02-2016, 09:12 AM
Iowans take their first in the nation thing seriously. My understanding is that they are among some of the most informed voters in the US.

Evangelicals for Cruz says they are impaired by Religion, low-wage, low-info, low-education, haven't listened to Cruz, or don't care that he LIES about EVERYTHING.

Evangelicals vote emotions, not reason. Cruz' bullshit, demagoguing rhetoric really heats their emotions.

How many evangelicals are subsidized, buying through the IA health care exchange, and how many are on expanded Medicaid. They'd lose ALL of that when Cruz repeals ACA.