PDA

View Full Version : Gates still the richest, but Google guys moving up

Kori Ellis
09-23-2005, 10:58 AM
Gates still the richest, but Google guys moving up

Associated Press

NEW YORK - Google's mammoth initial public offering has netted its two co-founders an interesting side benefit: an entree into the upper echelons of Forbes magazine's list of the 400 richest Americans.

Bill Gates, Microsoft's co-founder and chairman, was the nation's wealthiest person for the 11th straight year with a net worth of $51 billion, followed again by Berkshire Hathaway chief Warren Buffett's $40 billion, according to Forbes, which released its annual rankings Thursday.

Perhaps more noteworthy is the ascent of Google founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page, who were ranked 16th with $11 billion each, up from No. 43 last year when they each had a net worth of $4 billion.

Google went public last year, but the Internet search engine returned to the capital markets this month with a follow-up offering of shares that raised $4.18 billion. The company has earned $1 billion since going public.

According to Forbes, whose reporters assembled the list through a series of interviews and company filings with the Securities and Exchange Commisssion, Brin's and Page's post-IPO wealth is accruing at speeds faster than Gates' wealth after Microsoft went public.

Collectively, the top 10 richest Americans saw their collective net worth climb $125 billion, the magazine said. The poorest members of the list each had a net worth of $900 million.

Paul Allen, a childhood friend of Gates who co-founded Microsoft in 1975, was third wealthiest with $22.5 billion, while Dell CEO and co-founder Michael Dell was fourth with $18 billion and Lawrence Ellison, chief executive of Oracle, was No. 5 with a net worth of $17 billion.

The rest of the top 10 were members of the Walton family, relatives of Wal-Mart Stores founder Sam Walton. Jim Walton and Christy Walton have $15.7 billion, while Forbes says S. Robson Walton has $15.6 billion. Alice Walton has $15.5 billion and Helen Walton has $15.4 billion.

Others on the Forbes 400 list to enjoy the fruits of high-tech and the Internet included Steven Ballmer, Microsoft's chief executive who was No. 11 with $14 billion, and Amazon.com's Jeff Bezos who has $4.8 billion and ranked 42nd.

But a significant number of Forbes 400 members also found there is money to be made in sports. Twenty-seven members of the list are sports investors, including owners of basketball and football teams as well as an English soccer team.

For example, Allen owns the NBA's Portland Trail Blazers and the NFL's Seattle Seahawks. And Malcolm Glazer, who ranks No. 258 with $1.3 billion, gained fame in this country but infamy in Britain this past spring after he bought a controlling stake in Manchester United, perhaps the world's best-known soccer team.

Forbes List (http://www.forbes.com/lists/2005/54/Rank_1.html)

mouse
09-23-2005, 11:03 AM
LJ is the riches man on earth, he has you. :smokin

Looter
09-23-2005, 11:04 AM
I wish I could get my hands on some of that cash....

Victor Newman
09-23-2005, 11:06 AM

Ahem...you can remove your lips from Kori's ass anythime now. I could use an ass kisse like yourself here at NewMan Enterprises.

tlongII
09-23-2005, 11:08 AM
Paul Allen is #3! It's just a matter of time before we buy our way back to the top of the NBA!

Kori Ellis
09-23-2005, 11:28 AM

Don't try to kiss my ass. I already read your post about how female moderators suck. Though I do admit that I'm a bitch sometimes, it is only when I'm provoked and not hormone related.

Here's a little secret ... there's no such thing as PMS and all that crap. It's women's excuse to be bitches, cry, refuse sex, and eat chocolate. It's all a sham. :)

CharlieMac
09-23-2005, 11:29 AM
Gates donates a ridiculous amount of money to charities.

Shelly
09-23-2005, 11:29 AM
You don't need no stinkin' excuse to eat chocolate! EVER!

TheSuckUp
09-23-2005, 11:39 AM

I second that!!

boutons
09-23-2005, 12:17 PM
"ridiculous amount of money to charities."

all tax deductible. It's call "social engineering through tax policy"

SpursWoman
09-23-2005, 12:25 PM
Oh, well...fuck it then. Someone needs to make him stop contributing, that fucking tax evading asshole. He must be a Republican.

:rolleyes