PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Expected to fire Scott after this season

Thebesteva
02-02-2016, 09:06 PM
http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25470089/report-remainder-of-season-a-trial-for-lakers-coach-byron-scott

Worst coaching decision ever. Not that they had the talent to do much but damn this guy is horrible for development of the players on the team. Lakers are in such a deep hole (like Lebron's dick in CN's ass) that I can't see them turning this around for a few years but man when they do, and they will, it's going to be glorious.

Chris
02-02-2016, 09:09 PM
He should quit right now tbh; that's a slap in the face. Pringles deserves another shot - Do it Mitch!

Robz4000
02-02-2016, 09:11 PM
In b4 Mark Jackson

baseline bum
02-02-2016, 09:11 PM
http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25470089/report-remainder-of-season-a-trial-for-lakers-coach-byron-scott

Worst coaching decision ever. Not that they had the talent to do much but damn this guy is horrible for development of the players on the team. Lakers are in such a deep hole (like Lebron's dick in CN's ass) that I can't see them turning this around for a few years but man when they do, and they will, it's going to be glorious.

He's not there to develop players. He's there because he will listen to what Kobe says to do, like Lue in Cleveland.

RsxPiimp
02-02-2016, 09:56 PM
This Laker team is capable of 30-36 wins under D'Antoni tbqh.

RsxPiimp
02-02-2016, 09:58 PM
That said, I don't mind Walton or Scott Brooks to develop these young players.

Reck
02-02-2016, 10:07 PM
That said, I don't mind Walton or Scott Brooks to develop these young players.

Is Luke even interested in leaving the Warriors? He might inherit the team in a few years. Kerr's health seems shaky to me so who knows.

RsxPiimp
02-02-2016, 10:12 PM
Is Luke even interested in leaving the Warriors? He might inherit the team in a few years. Kerr's health seems shaky to me so who knows.

He probably wants to cash in tbh, he'll strike while the iron is hot and the Lakers are desperate to show some sort of "direction" and will probably give him a lucrative offer. Buss clearly don't have a sound plan but bringing a young coach is probably the best move for the franchise.

I mean, D'Angelo sounds deflated recently. The poor kid is on the verge of giving up :lol

z0sa
02-02-2016, 10:12 PM
Who didnt see that coming.

Splits
02-02-2016, 10:30 PM
He's a fine talent developer.

“I saw the last couple minutes that he was in that he was really trying to take over the game, and that's not him yet,” Scott said. “I want the ball to move a little bit. I thought it stuck with him. He tried to make the big shots and things like that. I understand that, but to me, that's not him right now.”In general, Scott said of Russell, "He's been more aggressive to score. I think sometimes he's taking what they're giving him, and I think there's other times where I think he's kind of forcing the issue. He has to find a happy medium. He's learning."
"I love the fact that he has confidence," Scott said. "When it gets to the point where it's cockiness, then we've got a problem."

Is he close to that point of cockiness where it becomes a problem?

"I think he's pretty close," Scott said. "I don't think he's there. I just think he feels right now that he's got a lot of confidence in himself. Like I said, that's a good thing. You don't get this far without having that. And sometimes you don't get this far without having a little cockiness, as well. But you don't want that to overshadow the confidence that he has.

"I think when you get cocky, you're thinking that there's nothing that you can't do. And if you think that, then you stop working."

All of this is quite fair of Scott to say about Russell especially since the Lakers rookie failed to record a single assist in the game. But considering Scott gives Kobe a free pass to basically chuck away, the message is a bit convoluted, which may be why coupled with his youth, Russell responded to Scott's assessment of his play by telling reporters that he would've still been in the game if his shots were going in.

"We had four, five playmaking players out there," Russell said. "I feel like everybody was trying to [take over]. They're a veteran team. They rarely mess up. So when you catch them slipping a little bit, you've got to take advantage of it."

As Russell added, "I feel like I was taking advantage of what they were giving me. It was a small split window of taking a shot or passing it up with a shot-clock violation on the line. It was always in my hands and I had to take a shot. I missed it. I don't know if [Scott] would've said that if I was making those shots."

:lmao what kind of coach airs this dirty laundry in the national media on a 19 year old rookie? Can you imagine Pop saying anything close to this about any player? It's like he thinks it is his job to honestly respond to every question a reporter has for him. What an idiot.

baseline bum
02-02-2016, 11:08 PM

:lmao what kind of coach airs this dirty laundry in the national media on a 19 year old rookie? Can you imagine Pop saying anything close to this about any player? It's like he thinks it is his job to honestly respond to every question a reporter has for him. What an idiot.

Remember when Scott pulled the same shit on Stephen Jackson when Jack was on the Nets? Made it so sweet to see Buckets end his one shot at a coaching title in Game 6. :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgCS2DstGLI

ElNono
02-02-2016, 11:08 PM
:lol why are they announcing this?

DMC
02-02-2016, 11:57 PM
They are doing everything to salvage a few season ticket holders.

Scott is a closer. He's not there to win games, but to close the chapter on the franchise. I've seen his type, all smiles, not a concern in the world. They never talk about metrics, no pressure to perform.. just hang around a few more months until I can usher most of you out and then I'll be right behind you.

Mal
02-03-2016, 04:09 AM
Oh nein :lmao

AlexJones
02-03-2016, 04:36 AM
Terrible move. Scott is the tanKing. With the way the league is now I'd tank for a decade to get a generational talent like LBJ.

Killakobe81
02-03-2016, 05:18 AM

This. To much fucking ego.

DJR210
02-03-2016, 05:27 AM
I don't follow the Lakers more than what's on here or in the media.. but from what I've seen I really don't understand this guys coaching philosophy. He's clearly not too bright, dude even gets trolled by fans on twitter for god sakes

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
02-03-2016, 10:12 AM
He probably wants to cash in tbh, he'll strike while the iron is hot and the Lakers are desperate to show some sort of "direction" and will probably give him a lucrative offer. Buss clearly don't have a sound plan but bringing a young coach is probably the best move for the franchise.

I mean, D'Angelo sounds deflated recently. The poor kid is on the verge of giving up :lol

A far cry to when he said the Lakers were going to make the playoffs this year.

Raven
02-03-2016, 02:28 PM
scott is doing a fantastic job for randle and dbust tbh. they are both far worse than they look like.Scott is also right in taking massive dumps all over dbust for his attitude.

BatManu20
02-03-2016, 02:32 PM
Why? He's doing exactly what they're paying him to do: Lose ball games and secure a Top 3 pick.

jeebus
02-03-2016, 02:37 PM
Pay Kirbs $30 million to come back next year, hire Thibs, have Thibs play Kirbs 41 mins a game.

Buddy Mignon
02-03-2016, 02:46 PM
So these dummies are going to go into the offseason with no coach again.

Killakobe81
02-03-2016, 02:48 PM

Nah, we will not repat that same mistake. If we do I will be after Mitch's head ...

Splits
02-03-2016, 02:51 PM
Nah, we will not repat that same mistake. If we do I will be after Mitch's head ...

:lol as if that's the straw

Buddy Mignon
02-03-2016, 02:53 PM

If you fire Scott... you better have bis replacement the same week. To go into free agency with no coach again would be a disaster. Given our circumstances.. all facets of this team should be drastically improved.

Killakobe81
02-03-2016, 04:12 PM
If you fire Scott... you better have bis replacement the same week. To go into free agency with no coach again would be a disaster. Given our circumstances.. all facets of this team should be drastically improved.

the feet dragging on Scott was the first sign of disaster on that hire. IF we drag feet again on this hire ... that would be a sign that we haven't learned shit.

spurraider21
02-03-2016, 04:24 PM
and they won't be sneaking

Thread
02-03-2016, 04:27 PM
the feet dragging on Scott was the first sign of disaster on that hire. IF we drag feet again on this hire ... that would be a sign that we haven't learned shit.

We haven't learned shit since '10. We've lost contact with [the right thing to do.]

Splits
02-03-2016, 04:30 PM
We haven't learned shit since '10. We've lost contact with [the right thing to do.]

Bend over, I'll make you lose a contact.

DMC
02-03-2016, 05:22 PM
:lol as if that's the straw
After he buys league pass again.

DMC
02-03-2016, 05:23 PM
That's why you loiter here, to get a glimpse of what it looks like.

Thread
02-03-2016, 06:10 PM
That's why you loiter here, to get a glimpse of what it looks like.

Bend over. I'll give you a fuckin' glimpse of what it looks like.

DMC
02-03-2016, 07:21 PM
Bend over. I'll give you a fuckin' glimpse of what it looks like.

You'd bail on that too, I'd have to beat off and you'd return afterward and rave about how good you were, claim you were watching through the window and never left.

Clipper Nation
02-03-2016, 07:23 PM
Kirby going for the all-time record of most coaches fired to go with the all-time brick record.

Splits
02-04-2016, 12:19 PM
:lmao what a dumpster fire

Byron Scott Is Still Saying Baffling Things About D'Angelo Russell (http://deadspin.com/byron-scott-is-still-saying-baffling-things-about-dange-1756541381)

Kevin Draper
Monday 11:42pm

Halfway through the season, Lakers coach Byron Scott is still giving asinine quotes to the media and ham-fistedly messing with the development of his number two draft pick, D’Angelo Russell.

Last week, Scott benched the rookie point guard during the fourth quarter of a loss to the Mavericks. After the game, Scott explained that he benched Russell because of his cockiness. “I love the fact that he has confidence,” said Scott. “When it gets to the point that it’s cockiness, then we have a problem.”

But as Silver Screen & Roll convincingly argues, only one of the five shots Russell took in the fourth quarter could reasonably be attributed to cockiness. The real problem is that the Lakers have a bunch of garbage offensive sets, run by a bunch of bad players, and yet if Russell decides just once that he can get a better shot on his own, Scott benches him. After the game Russell basically said that Scott—who doesn’t believe in analytics—values results over process, and wouldn’t have benched him if more of his appropriately taken shots had gone in.

The Lakers lost to the Hornets by 19 last night, their 10th loss in a row. Russell had a relatively quiet night, scoring 10 points on 3-5 shooting, along with five turnovers. Afterwards, Russell—whose coach benched him four days earlier because of his supposed cockiness—sounded lost as he described how he had stopped improving (though he also said he was remained confident):

After the same game Byron Scott—who benched his rookie point guard four days earlier because of his supposed cockiness—said he was worried that his players would begin to lose confidence. It’s almost as if Scott vacillates wildly game-to-game, forgetting what he said four days earlier and unable to stick to any sort of long-term plan.

It gets sadder, as today Scott got into a war of words with Clippers analyst Don MacLean. On Friday night’s broadcast of the Clippers-Lakers game, MacLean said that Russell should be entrusted with the offense, and if he turns it over 15 times a game, so be it. Scott was asked about these criticisms at practice today, and here is how he responded (via Bill Oram):

Well, first of all to Don, that’s why you’re not coaching. Let’s put it that way. You don’t let a guy go out there and just almost embarrass himself or kill himself by playing 35 minutes and creating 10, 12, 15 turnovers. I mean, the one thing it can do is self-destruct him as an individual. So what I try to do, as far as teaching him, [is to] also protect him from making mistakes like that, and from getting ridiculed after a game like that. My job is to help these guys develop and that’s what I’m going to continue to do.

And MacLean’s rejoinder:

Just because you choose to coach doesn’t mean you’re a good coach.

In the abstract, Scott has a point. While Russell needs minutes to develop and to be allowed to fight through mistakes, just throwing him out there on a rudderless team to flail about could damage him. Except, of course, for the fact that halfway though a soul-draining season Russell apparently retains enough cockiness for Scott to bench him for it: not exactly the mindset of a guy who is going to self-destruct after a few turnovers. And it’s especially rich hearing Scott talk about saving Russell from embarrassment went nobody has publicly criticized him close to as much as Scott has.

There is a belief that Scott’s ineptitude is actually a boon for the Lakers. If their draft pick isn’t in the top three it goes to the 76ers, and Scott’s stealth tank job makes that less likely to happen. Letting Scott remain in charge is a good thing!

This idea is wrong.

The Lakers already have a top three pick on the roster, and the most optimistic reading of the situation is that this will be a lost season for him. The pessimistic reading is that Russell’s ceiling is permanently lowered, with Scott’s catering to Kobe, yanking around Russell’s minutes and role, and frequent public recriminations a major contributor. And that’s not even saying anything about the development (or lack thereof) of Jordan Clarkson and Julius Randle, or how the Lakers at least need to show a bit of promise or upward-mobility before they’ll seriously be considered a destination by good free agents (like this summer’s unrestricted free agent Kevin Durant).

Byron Scott winning his battle against D’Angelo Russell—and he will win, because he’s the coach—can only result in the Lakers losing the war. The sooner off they realize that, the better.

Thread
02-04-2016, 12:56 PM
^The proof will be in the pudding next season when Scott is gone. Then Russell can act cocky till his hearts content +++ make his mark on the court. Hey, but, that's SOP outside of next to the Alamo.

Act cocky.Make you mark.Cash the every other Friday check.

Splits
02-04-2016, 01:47 PM

:lol can't believe I missed these

Splits
02-15-2016, 02:44 PM
Dayum, D'Bust must really hate Byron:

Jordan Clarkson Had Some Very Prudent Advice For D'Angelo Russell (http://deadspin.com/jordan-clarkson-had-some-very-prudent-advice-for-dangel-1758987081)

After Jordan Clarkson and D’Angelo Russell played well in Team USA’s win over the World squad in yesterday’s Rising Stars victory, a reporter asked them a question that translated to, “How freeing did it feel to play for someone else besides Byron Scott for a night?” After answering himself, it sure sounds a lot like Clarkson had to covertly warn Russell, “Don’t say nothing crazy.”

Russell would have plenty of incentive to answer honestly, but he played it cool and Clarkson helped. As the reporter asked the two Lakers the question, Russell immediately looked down, while Clarkson shot him this look:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--ntYgurY7--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/cn5vg7ghpkthxvihwsg6.png

Chris
02-15-2016, 02:58 PM
Dayum, D'Bust must really hate Byron:

I recognize that look! Same look they gave when asked if Kobe had contacted them to welcome them to the team.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
02-15-2016, 03:23 PM
This is what the Lakers have been reduced to. How the mighty have fallen.

Duncan might be a TOSB but the Lakers org right now is a complete pile of shit at this point.

Jodelo
02-15-2016, 04:40 PM

SG will be, surely...

spursistan
02-17-2016, 01:05 AM

DMC
02-17-2016, 01:09 AM
Do it Mitch. Get yet another retired coach on your payroll. You only have what, 3 now?

Thread
02-17-2016, 06:15 AM
This is what the Lakers have been reduced to. How the mighty have fallen.

Duncan might be a TOSB but the Lakers org right now is a complete pile of shit at this point.

True, but, what we've put into that case has remained in that case.
The Spurs put 6 into their case. Only 5 remain. The 5th is a 2nd Edition.

spurraider21
02-17-2016, 06:19 AM
The 5th is a 2nd Edition.
I'll just bet it is.

Thread
02-17-2016, 06:28 AM
I'll just bet it is.

19.2. Isn't that pitiful, 21? Looks puny & decrepit.

spurraider21
02-17-2016, 06:34 AM
19.2. Isn't that pitiful, 21? Looks puny & decrepit.
12 is worse

Chinook
02-17-2016, 07:41 AM

Maybe they're considering firing him in the spring instead? There's literally nothing good that can come from him being on the team after the lottery happens.

Robz4000
02-17-2016, 07:59 AM
Maybe they're considering firing him in the spring instead? There's literally nothing good that can come from him being on the team after the lottery happens.

Nothing good for them, maybe. Personally I hope they keep him another decade plus.

Chinook
02-17-2016, 08:02 AM
Nothing good for them, maybe. Personally I hope they keep him another decade plus.

I've actually enjoyed watching the Lakers for years now. So I don't want them to suck, especially if they're going to try to build the right way rather than being gifted stars. Also, I don't want Philly getting a good player from that Lakers' pick.

Thread
02-17-2016, 11:04 AM
12 is worse

I'll just bet it is.

spurraider21
02-17-2016, 11:19 AM
I'll just bet it is.
Safe bet.

Indazone
02-17-2016, 07:37 PM
Uhhh. Hello! Captain Obvious called. :lol

Indazone