PDA

View Full Version : Kings: DeMarcus Cousins finds shirts w purple monkey racially insensitive.

Fabbs
02-02-2016, 09:08 PM
The Sacramento Kings canceled a T-shirt giveaway Monday night after some in the organization, including star DeMarcus Cousins, found the shirts to be racially insensitive.

The Kings had placed black shirts adorned with a purple monkey as part of their Lunar New Year celebration on seats at Monday night's game against the Milwaukee Bucks. The Chinese Year of the Monkey begins Feb. 8.

However, Monday also marked the first day of Black History Month, and players and coaches were wearing shirts in honor of the annual commemoration.

DeMarcus Cousins, as well as others in the organization, took umbrage with the Kings' planned T-shirt giveaway, according to reports.

Cousins criticized the giveaway of Year of the Monkey T-shirts. Bucks TV analyst and former player Marques Johnson described the situation on Facebook.

"I walk into the building and DeMarcus Cousins calls me over to an animated discussion he's having with Kings operations people," he wrote. "He ask me, 'Olskool, what you think about this T Shirt? Told him a little insensitive on 1st day of Black History Month'. They pulled the shirts..."

Staff gathered all the shirts before fans arrived at Sleep Train Arena.

"We all need a lesson in sensitivity," Kings president Chris Granger said, according to the Sacramento Bee. "In an effort to celebrate Chinese New Year, we had some concerns about the T-shirt giveaway, so we pulled them all before the doors opened. Certainly we don't want to offend anybody, and we acted as soon as we heard the concern."

Johnson took to Twitter to applaud Cousins for speaking out.

There is a league wide initiative this season for teams to commemorate the Chinese New Year, and the rest of the Kings' Lunar New Year celebration continued as scheduled, the Bee reported.

Cousins, who recently was named to his second All-Star Game, was out Monday night with a sprained left ankle.
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14695362/sacramento-kings-scrap-planned-t-shirt-giveaway-demarcus-cousins-takes-issue

Fabbs
02-02-2016, 09:14 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/02/02/17/30D1122300000578-0-image-a-34_1454435416991.jpg

Fabbs
02-02-2016, 09:17 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/196523/kobe-bryant1.jpg

benefactor
02-02-2016, 09:19 PM
:cry

Fabbs
02-02-2016, 09:20 PM
Myrtle MonoHunting of the Oak Valley Bee along with Jin Sue Ming of the Bejing Party People offered these photos in suggesting the T-Shirt giveaway should go on.
http://stshd.translationllc.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Kobe-Bryant-Gives-Laker-Fans-The-Green-Light-To-Freak-Out.jpg

02-02-2016, 09:22 PM
:cry Muh month :cry

Reck
02-02-2016, 09:58 PM
Black people taking things personally per par like they're the center of the universe.

Guess what, faggots? There are other cultures out there. Monkeys aren't exclusive to meaning you.

~O~
02-02-2016, 10:05 PM
That's actually a well designed shirt.

Stalin
02-02-2016, 10:13 PM
Nigs are so insecure.

TDMVPDPOY
02-02-2016, 10:16 PM
seriously whats with the hype of the chinese new year, do westerners know there are other countries who also celebrate that calendar year?

lol kowtowing to the chinese gooks thinking it will generate more income to the league....how much have they made from the 1.4billion chinese gooks? if the ratio is not x>1:1 then go eat a dick

Splits
02-02-2016, 10:22 PM
:lol this thread will deliver. I'm sure of it. Already off to a fine racist start.

Thebesteva
02-02-2016, 10:23 PM
Black people taking things personally per par like they're the center of the universe.

Guess what, faggots? There are other cultures out there. Monkeys aren't exclusive to meaning you.

:cry wonder what Jada Smith thinks about all this

UZER
02-02-2016, 10:42 PM
So will they donate these to the kids in Africa, or is that racist and they'll have to thrown them away?

spankadelphia
02-02-2016, 10:50 PM
WE

WUZ

KANGZZ N SHIT

DMC
02-02-2016, 10:51 PM
What's funny is they call each other monkey more than whites call them that.. them.. they. Those people.

hater
02-02-2016, 10:53 PM
Damn sad that he thought that way. It's a sad sad world we live in when people live and think like this

StrengthAndHonor
02-02-2016, 11:18 PM
What's funny is they call each other monkey more than whites call them that.. them.. they. Those people.
Shut up fat ass.

SupremeGuy
02-02-2016, 11:48 PM
This is the kind of shit that happens when you let race hustlers indoctrinate so many uneducated athletes. :lol

vy65
02-02-2016, 11:52 PM
http://funnyoroffensive.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/1907501_1140012262691774_2275379401696683798_n.jpg

LakerHater
02-02-2016, 11:53 PM
Thats a pretty cool design, It also explains itself. It reads "Happy Lunar New Year , 2016 Year of The Monkey" https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaKur1yUkAADI1M.jpg:small

Read a fuckin book! Shouldntve pulled the shirts, educate the idiot!

FkLA
02-03-2016, 12:01 AM
That's actually a well designed shirt.

Agree. First thing I thought was I'll take one if they're going to give them away.

DMC
02-03-2016, 12:07 AM
Shut up fat ass.
That's Pinoy pride fuckin' with ya. Avante is probably your uncle.

Mitch
02-03-2016, 12:08 AM
Chingchang and his racist ass probably ordered a couple of the shirts

DMC
02-03-2016, 12:10 AM
No he's forever associated with that monkey. lol

ElNono
02-03-2016, 12:25 AM
Thats a pretty cool design, It also explains itself. It reads "Happy Lunar New Year , 2016 Year of The Monkey" https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaKur1yUkAADI1M.jpg:small

Read a fuckin book! Shouldntve pulled the shirts, educate the idiot!

lol this is Murica! Fuck yeah!

SupremeGuy
02-03-2016, 12:31 AM

Read a fuckin book! Shouldntve pulled the shirts, educate the idiot!Clearly racist. :cry

LakerHater
02-03-2016, 12:44 AM
Black History Month and Chinese New Year, always have and always will coincide. It's year of the monkey. Can't commemorate it without incorporating a monkey.

Players are wearin BHM shoot around shirts, Maybe Jeremy Lin should wear a Year of The Monkey shirt instead!

02-03-2016, 12:55 AM
seriously whats with the hype of the chinese new year, do westerners know there are other countries who also celebrate that calendar year?

lol kowtowing to the chinese gooks thinking it will generate more income to the league....how much have they made from the 1.4billion chinese gooks? if the ratio is not x>1:1 then go eat a dick
:tu

DMC
02-03-2016, 12:58 AM
The hype is that last year the Chinese were afraid to have kids, bad year for it. Now they will go like rabbits and with the 1 child limit lifted there will be a population explosion. That equates to new market for a lot of businesses, including the NBA.

Mal
02-03-2016, 04:08 AM
:lmao So sensitive

AlexJones
02-03-2016, 05:03 AM
WE

WUZ

KANGZZ N SHIT

HOL' UP *smacks lips*

ambchang
02-03-2016, 06:42 AM
Why would people think of having the image of a monkey being racist is beyond me.

RGMCSE
02-03-2016, 07:19 PM
Why would people think of having the image of a monkey being racist is beyond me.

Because 40 or so years ago Howard Cosell called a Monday Night game and on live TV said "look at that monkey run". Of course the player was black and everyone got butt hurt. Unfortunately for Howard it was an endearing term he would call his own white grand kids all the time. He didn't make the absurd connection and meant for the same endearment towards said player. Once he was fired the ball started rolling and it still rolls on today.

Thread
02-03-2016, 07:28 PM
Because 40 or so years ago Howard Cosell called a Monday Night game and on live TV said "look at that monkey run". Of course the player was black and everyone got butt hurt. Unfortunately for Howard it was an endearing term he would call his own white grand kids all the time. He didn't make the absurd connection and meant for the same endearment towards said player. Once he was fired the ball started rolling and it still rolls on today.

And he called upon those associates of his in that moment and their support was lukewarm.

I believe the only one who stood tall in the moment was Ali.

RGMCSE
02-03-2016, 07:34 PM
And he called upon those associates of his in that moment and their support was lukewarm.

I believe the only one who stood tall in the moment was Ali.

Thread it was before my time. But I had such an interest in Howard Cosell that I was compelled to find out more. You could say that Howard and Ali were friends or at least friendly. A similar thing happened to jimmy the Greek. Jimmy did not intend to offend. He actually was trying to convey that in his opinion the Black athlete was superior. He paid for saying that. But I believe he suffered that fate because he was rough around the edges and didn't fit the cardboard prototype sports journalist.

JohnnyMax
02-03-2016, 08:13 PM
it isn't about the monkey you fool. it's because they aren't giving black people enough attention.

DeMarcus Cousins is saying the Kings are being insensitive to black people by snubbing them for asians. he's being racist as ***, can't even let a ninja shine.

Thread
02-03-2016, 08:16 PM
Thread it was before my time. But I had such an interest in Howard Cosell that I was compelled to find out more. You could say that Howard and Ali were friends or at least friendly. A similar thing happened to jimmy the Greek. Jimmy did not intend to offend. He actually was trying to convey that in his opinion the Black athlete was superior. He paid for saying that. But I believe he suffered that fate because he was rough around the edges and didn't fit the cardboard prototype sports journalist.

Exactly.

& he'd been drinking at the banquet he'd attended and they took advantage of him.

RGMCSE
02-03-2016, 08:25 PM
Exactly.

& he'd been drinking at the banquet he'd attended and they took advantage of him.

Yup! Jimmy was a real person on tv. He loved what he did. Too bad he was like a dying era of old Las Vegas and no one new it was happening.

Thread
02-03-2016, 08:51 PM
Yup! Jimmy was a real person on tv. He loved what he did. Too bad he was like a dying era of old Las Vegas and no one new it was happening.

It was sad. They ate him alive for that. Descended upon him like locust.

ambchang
02-03-2016, 09:48 PM

I call my kids monkey all the time. Nothing racist about it.