PDA

View Full Version : Steph curry is the second best player Ive ever seen since 2003 TD.

apalisoc_9
02-05-2016, 03:08 PM
Hes even more dominamt than Shaq. Hes averaging close to 30 taking way less shots than most players who averaged 30..insane

dabom
02-05-2016, 03:13 PM
No doubt.

cjw
02-05-2016, 03:26 PM
Hes even more dominamt than Shaq. Hes averaging close to 30 taking way less shots than most players who averaged 30..insane

Well, pre-2003 Shaq was prime Shaq, then injuries really took their toll. After his first three years, he only made it past 70 games / 70 game pace about 1/3 of the time.

Pre-2003 Shaq though was an elite rebounder, solid rim presence and good passer. That said, Curry is surpassing his scoring output/efficiency by leaps and bounds. He was putting up 1.46 PPS but only 58.4% TS% because of his FT shooting. Curry is 10% above that (even Kawhi is above 60%).

Imagine if Shaq had ever learned to shoot FT

Splits
02-05-2016, 03:28 PM
Did you pony express, err I mean telegraph, err I mean fax, err I mean skype with your sources for this info?

lilbthebasedgod
02-05-2016, 03:40 PM
So who is the best player you've seen since 2003 TD?

james evans
02-05-2016, 04:44 PM
U guys really put a lot of stock in shooters that don't play defense. I wonder what you kids would have been saying in the 80s if were were around when Bernard king played. Who led the league in scoring without shooting 3's

Kikoluna
02-05-2016, 04:47 PM
Lol, ridiculous. 18 months of work not enough sample. How am his first years when he was garbage

SpursFan86
02-05-2016, 04:54 PM
Yep, what he's doing right now is right up there with other all-time great peaks ('00 Shaq, '13 LeBron, '91 MJ, etc.). Of course, he still needs to keep up a very high level of play in the playoffs and lead GS to a title to put himself in the same category of those guys.

tmtcsc
02-05-2016, 04:57 PM

No doubt.

https://media.giphy.com/media/111ZbljeKZKjcI/giphy.gif

apalisoc_9
02-05-2016, 05:05 PM
So who is the best player you've seen since 2003 TD?

Lebron 2011-2012

Kikoluna
02-05-2016, 05:05 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/111ZbljeKZKjcI/giphy.gif

Exactly

Benoit
02-05-2016, 05:08 PM
Tim Duncan is a great player but nobody talks about him in the same way Spurs fans think, no offense

Hes highly ranked because of his team play and leadership, nobody talks about any of his seasons like they do for Steph, Jordan, Kobe and others

KDKSpurs24
02-05-2016, 06:11 PM
Tim Duncan is a great player but nobody talks about him in the same way Spurs fans think, no offense

Hes highly ranked because of his team play and leadership, nobody talks about any of his seasons like they do for Steph, Jordan, Kobe and others

Who the hell cares? OBVIOUSLY it's because they think he's boring. Those are people who don't know shit anyways.

(I know you said no offense. I'm not attacking you.)

Seventyniner
02-05-2016, 06:11 PM

That's mainly because per-game scoring is highly correlated with popularity while defense isn't.

james evans
02-05-2016, 07:03 PM

Larry Johnson was talked about greatly in the early 90s. Moreso than his teammate, Alonzo Mourning, who was a far superior player on defense and offense. When Larry Johnson put on that dress for converse, his popularity soared. But he wasn't better than Mourning. Being talked about dos not make you better than a player not being talked about:lol . Cmon man, that's high school teenage girl shit to determine who's better by popularity.

Spurtacular
02-05-2016, 07:10 PM
Surprised apalisoc_9 didn't dickride Curry harder, sooner, tbh.

tmtcsc
02-05-2016, 10:55 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/l3nWqD4ViFej9REAw/giphy.gifhttps://media.giphy.com/media/vWDrezW0rMjmM/giphy.gif

Seriously - No offense taken because that is one of the dumbest, most ignorant things ever written in this forum. In fact, I'm not even mad. I'm impressed. Have you read some of the stuff people write in here? For you to say that Tim Duncan (who is universally regarded as the GREATEST PF TO EVER PLAY THE GAME) is not talked about in the same vein for any of his seasons like Steph, Jordan, Kobe or others - is comical. I'm laughing. I'm laughing right now.

Benoit
02-05-2016, 10:56 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/l3nWqD4ViFej9REAw/giphy.gifhttps://media.giphy.com/media/vWDrezW0rMjmM/giphy.gif

Seriously - No offense taken because that is one of the dumbest, most ignorant things ever written in this forum. In fact, I'm not even mad. I'm impressed. Have you read some of the stuff people write in here? For you to say that Tim Duncan (who is universally regarded as the GREATEST PF TO EVER PLAY THE GAME) is not talked about in the same vein for any of his seasons like Steph, Jordan, Kobe or others - is comical. I'm laughing. I'm laughing right now.

Tim Duncan is a great player and I agree hes the best PF ever, but you never hear other players or coaches or media put him in the same breath as Jordan, Kobe, Steph, Lebron, Magic and others

You never hear anybody say "this guy is having the best season since Duncan" or "this guy is the next Duncan"

100%duncan
02-05-2016, 11:00 PM
Tim Duncan is a great player and I agree hes the best PF ever, but you never hear other players or coaches or media put him in the same breath as Jordan, Kobe, Steph, Lebron, Magic and others

You never hear anybody say "this guy is having the best season since Duncan" or "this guy is the next Duncan"

I'm pretty sure they say that for every promising young big :lol phail

Spurs_Be_Beastin'
02-05-2016, 11:01 PM
That's because they're all bandwagon dick riders like you bro.
TD is one of the GOATS. Keep your media dick riding, Tim will keep his 5 rings.

Arcadian
02-05-2016, 11:21 PM
What about 2012 Lebron?

Edit, I see you did mention him.

tmtcsc
02-05-2016, 11:23 PM

You know why? Because Duncan is talked about in terms of 'generational' players. As in, 'once in a generation', a player like Tim Duncan comes along. Before he even played one professional game, Rick Pitino of the Boston Celtics called Pop and said 'We'll give you who ever you want on our roster' for Tim. As for the "this guy is the next Duncan" statement, tell me who has said "this guy is the next Hakeem" or "this guy is the next Shaq". They don't because those were extremely rare, one of a kind type of players.

Once Tim started to play, he went on to win 2 MVP's, 5 Rings, 3 Finals MVP's. He's almost 40 years old and is still an extremely important piece of the Spurs' 6th title run. C'mon man, you've got to come stronger with your arguments.

Shooting guards come and go. Steph is having an amazing season, no doubt, but he needs to string along about a decade of All-Star caliber play before being mentioned with the greats. In fact, lets see him carry a team to the finals before calling him one of the best ever.

Kikoluna
02-06-2016, 12:25 AM
This gu just put curry in the same sentence as mj,timmy. Lol

Kawhitstorm
02-06-2016, 12:42 AM

People rarely talk about Kareem despite him having 6 MVPs & 6 rings, big men bias runs deep in the NBA.

Benoit
02-06-2016, 01:52 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/114358/real-life-stephen-curry-is-better-than-video-game-stephen-curry

We have never seen anything like this in sports
(http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/114358/real-life-stephen-curry-is-better-than-video-game-stephen-curry)

GSH
02-06-2016, 01:59 AM
Seriously - No offense taken because that is one of the dumbest, most ignorant things ever written in this forum.

LOL...

"Mr. Benoit... what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

GSH
02-06-2016, 02:05 AM

Oh, and did you just run dry on Spurs-related shit to start new attention-whore threads about, so now you're posting up Warriors'-related clickbait?

Bravo. Just when I thought you couldn't possibly be any more irrelevant. You're quite the little over-achiever.

tmtcsc
02-06-2016, 07:12 AM
LOL...

"Mr. Benoit... what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

https://www.screenused.com/images/auction_mar14/9609_7.jpg

z0sa
02-06-2016, 07:26 AM
You didnt watch 2003 TD, by your own admission.

Brazil
02-06-2016, 08:04 AM
:lol I'm not the last on the list of getting at apo but it's becoming a bit ridiculous tbh... It's a thread about where curry stands in most dominant player over a season, no need to get upset about it. That's an interesting topic, curry is having so far an historic run that can be yes compared with 91 MJ 11 Lebron 03 Timmy

if they don't ring this year with curry having a sub par POs run you close the debate but as of today he is on track to put one of most dominant run ever.

Spurs1234
02-06-2016, 10:10 AM
I don't know why I am even responding to the guy that said Duncan never had a transcendent season but that's what happens when you do it for 20 years. Any one particular season gets lost in the mix. Yep 20 years. Drafted when I was a senior in high school, won a title when I was in college, graduate degree 1, one in graduate degree two, one during my first real job and one 2 or three jobs later. Now I am barring down the barrel of 40. So from my age of 17 to 40 he has been at this level. wrap your mind around that get back with me when curry is lighting it up in 2030. Then we can talk.

Agloco
02-06-2016, 02:30 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/114358/real-life-stephen-curry-is-better-than-video-game-stephen-curry

(http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/114358/real-life-stephen-curry-is-better-than-video-game-stephen-curry)

And if it were to continue for any substantial length of time we could revisit this as a GOAT discussion.

Your sample size is simply too small right now. It might help if you considered Currys career if it ended today.

spurs10
02-06-2016, 02:51 PM

(http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/114358/real-life-stephen-curry-is-better-than-video-game-stephen-curry) He is having a great year! His playoff resume is not all that awe-inspiring. Last year he won against a beat-down Cavs team and didn't look unstoppable by any means. He and his team have a long way to go before matching Tim Duncan and the Spurs- obviously. The only reason you don't constantly hear of people comparing young players to Tim is there is rarely anyone out there you can mention in the same breath and not look stupid. Believe me Curry's coach knows this all too well.

And if it were to continue for any substantial length of time we could revisit this as a GOAT discussion.

Your sample size is simply too small right now. It might help if you considered Currys career if it ended today. Very true and well said.

TD 21
02-07-2016, 06:01 PM
He's the most skilled offensive player I've ever seen, but because of his stature, he obviously has a limited impact on the game outside of that, so I'll always place him below Jordan, Duncan, James and O'Neal.

apalisoc_9
02-07-2016, 06:08 PM
He's the most skilled offensive player I've ever seen, but because of his stature, he obviously has a limited impact on the game outside of that, so I'll always place him below Jordan, Duncan, James and O'Neal.

2012 James or 2003 Duncan?

2012 James is the best all around player Ive ever seen. IIRC it was his last year as a two player. 2011 is up there but they didnt ring...

TD 21
02-07-2016, 06:19 PM
2012 James or 2003 Duncan?

2012 James is the best all around player Ive ever seen. IIRC it was his last year as a two player. 2011 is up there but they didnt ring...

I'm going '03 Duncan slightly over '12 and '13 James.

They were both everything you'd want in a player, the difference was/is, Duncan's superior height/length. James could only have so much of an impact at "big man things", while Duncan could essentially do "guard things", only in a different way.

dbestpro
02-07-2016, 09:26 PM
U guys really put a lot of stock in shooters that don't play defense. I wonder what you kids would have been saying in the 80s if were were around when Bernard king played. Who led the league in scoring without shooting 3's

You are not allowed to play much defense in today's NBA. A great deal of Curry's scoring comes from free throws (bailouts). I think Nate Acrhibald (70s) in his prime was better, but got little love from the refs. Curry is a product of the times.

Benoit
02-08-2016, 01:11 AM
You are not allowed to play much defense in today's NBA. A great deal of Curry's scoring comes from free throws (bailouts). I think Nate Acrhibald (70s) in his prime was better, but got little love from the refs. Curry is a product of the times.
Jesus Christ

apalisoc_9
02-08-2016, 02:40 AM
Jesus Christ

Welcome to upstairs spurstalk, where majority of posters are vanilla fossilized faggots. Antiquated opinions are common around here

sexinthatsx
02-08-2016, 02:54 AM
Welcome to upstairs spurstalk, where majority of posters are vanilla fossilized faggots. Antiquated opinions are common around here

You're sucking Curry's dick in the wrong forum tbch. Go back downstairs where you belong.

spurraider21
02-08-2016, 05:22 AM
like advocating basing an offense on a SF posting up