PDA

View Full Version : Women and the military draft

rmt
02-06-2016, 12:32 AM
http://thefederalist.com/2016/02/04/its-time-to-register-for-the-military-draft-ladies/

boutons_deux
02-06-2016, 06:18 AM
Sounds like military propaganda to scare the unwanted women away.

Draft? Where did this come from? Who or what except this propaganda is talking about a reinstituting the draft?

SnakeBoy
02-06-2016, 12:02 PM
Sounds like military propaganda to scare the unwanted women away.

Draft? Where did this come from? Who or what except this propaganda is talking about a reinstituting the draft?

Did you even look at the article?

boutons_deux
02-06-2016, 01:12 PM
Did you even look at the article?

registering for the draft is a formality now, it isn't being drafted.

Federalist society is of course deeply, extremist conservative, so misogynist.

rmt
02-06-2016, 01:29 PM
This is what the drive for equality has opened up. Can't imagine my daughter having to sign up for the draft. Have they considered what will happen if a woman in combat is captured - well, women in combat is already a done deal, but the women's draft will follow.

I'd like to vent on a pet peeve of mine. I'm a big tennis fan, and the drive for "equal work for equal pay" has resulted in the women's tennis field being paid the same as the men's tennis field at all 4 Grand Slam tournaments. However, the women only play best of 3 matches while the men play best of 5. This can result in a woman playing a possible 14 sets of tennis earning the same amount as a man playing a possible 35 sets of tennis. And this is not even counting in the fact that the men's tennis is more popular than women's tennis and therefore a better draw (fan wise). Grossly unfair.

boutons_deux
02-06-2016, 06:58 PM
"Have they considered what will happen if a woman in combat is captured"

"they" the feminists? the women wanting to be in combat?

US military women are already sexually abused, assaulted, raped by their military colleagues. Slaughter and rape are a major warrior benefits, even the objective, the compensation, for warriors on all sides, including Americans.

ChumpDumper
02-06-2016, 07:23 PM
This is what the drive for equality has opened up. Can't imagine my daughter having to sign up for the draft. Have they considered what will happen if a woman in combat is captured - well, women in combat is already a done deal, but the women's draft will follow.

I'd like to vent on a pet peeve of mine. I'm a big tennis fan, and the drive for "equal work for equal pay" has resulted in the women's tennis field being paid the same as the men's tennis field at all 4 Grand Slam tournaments. However, the women only play best of 3 matches while the men play best of 5. This can result in a woman playing a possible 14 sets of tennis earning the same amount as a man playing a possible 35 sets of tennis. And this is not even counting in the fact that the men's tennis is more popular than women's tennis and therefore a better draw (fan wise). Grossly unfair.I'm not sure about the men's being a much better draw. Women's matches have been generating comparable or better ratings in Grand Slam matches for awhile now.

And what could happen to a man if he is captured in combat after he was drafted against his will? Is that somehow worse than what could happen to a woman?

Jacob1983
02-07-2016, 03:04 AM
The military should be like the soldiers in the movie Soldier. That removes the whole situation. The soldiers would feel nothing so they would not be crippled by a female soldier being held hostage.

rmt
02-07-2016, 07:51 AM
I'm not sure about the men's being a much better draw. Women's matches have been generating comparable or better ratings in Grand Slam matches for awhile now.

And what could happen to a man if he is captured in combat after he was drafted against his will? Is that somehow worse than what could happen to a woman?

The men's game has long-standing rivalries between Nole/Fed/Nadal. The women's game has Serena and everybody else (whoever happens to challenge her at a particular tournament). Huh? I'm not getting the second part. A woman is more likely to raped than a man if captured (in general) - nothing to do with the draft.

DisAsTerBot
02-08-2016, 10:53 AM
The men's game has long-standing rivalries between Nole/Fed/Nadal. The women's game has Serena and everybody else (whoever happens to challenge her at a particular tournament). Huh? I'm not getting the second part. A woman is more likely to raped than a man if captured (in general) - nothing to do with the draft.

the second part is simple. Once a soldier is captured, is what happens to them next somehow worse if it is a woman as opposed to a man?

rmt
02-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Huh? I'm not getting what you guys are asking. Don't you think that a woman captured is more likely to be raped than a man? It sounds like you think it's the opposite.

boutons_deux
02-08-2016, 11:09 AM
I've also read concern about the lady who gets injured in battle, with an injury that requires removing her panties and/or bra, with a bunch of guys standing around.

DisAsTerBot
02-08-2016, 11:31 AM
Huh? I'm not getting what you guys are asking. Don't you think that a woman captured is more likely to be raped than a man? It sounds like you think it's the opposite.

rape or the method of torture/beatings has little to do with the question. the question is whether or not it is worse because it is a woman.

DisAsTerBot
02-08-2016, 11:34 AM
I've also read concern about the lady who gets injured in battle, with an injury that requires removing her panties and/or bra, with a bunch of guys standing around.

so, presumably in a combat scenario, the main concern for a battle injured female is soldiers standing around snickering? Not more pressing concerns for the actual battle in this hypothetical?

rmt
02-08-2016, 11:39 AM
rape or the method of torture/beatings has little to do with the question. the question is whether or not it is worse because it is a woman.

No, it's not worse because it's a woman. Pain is pain. But I'm not for women being in combat in the first place and definitely not for women being drafted. If a woman wants to be in combat, sure go ahead but now it opens the can of worms of drafting all (appropriately-aged) women.

boutons_deux
02-08-2016, 11:41 AM
so, presumably in a combat scenario, the main concern for a battle injured female is soldiers standing around snickering? Not more pressing concerns for the actual battle in this hypothetical?

the injured female might be removed from the actual battle, if the actual battle is still in progress.

see, thinking is fucking easy

rmt
02-08-2016, 11:41 AM

Well, if you're in some foxhole, where are you even going to get pads/tampons when you have your period much less changing them? Do they just walk around dripping?

boutons_deux
02-08-2016, 11:44 AM
do the male warriors in a foxhole shit and piss in their pants?

DisAsTerBot
02-08-2016, 11:49 AM
the injured female might be removed from the actual battle, if the actual battle is still in progress.

see, thinking is fucking easy

right so why would you be concerned about removing clothing if she can be removed from the scene?

DisAsTerBot
02-08-2016, 11:52 AM
No, it's not worse because it's a woman. Pain is pain. But I'm not for women being in combat in the first place and definitely not for women being drafted. If a woman wants to be in combat, sure go ahead but now it opens the can of worms of drafting all (appropriately-aged) women.

so it has nothing to do with "have they considered what might happen if a woman is captured", because we have determined "pain is pain". So you were just appealing to emotion there. got it.

you don't want women in combat and definitely don't want women being drafted. But not because of the reasons you have listed so far.

rmt
02-08-2016, 11:56 AM
Women can get pregnant when raped. So they deliver and raise the baby while in captivity?

boutons_deux
02-08-2016, 11:56 AM
right so why would you be concerned about removing clothing if she can be removed from the scene?

it's not my problem, ask the combat women (a significant percentage of whom have already been verbally and/or sexually fondled, harassed, or raped by their male soldiers).

DisAsTerBot
02-08-2016, 12:02 PM
Women can get pregnant when raped. So they deliver and raise the baby while in captivity?

so you don't want women in combat/draft because they could get pregnant via rape via capture? Ok.

DisAsTerBot
02-08-2016, 12:06 PM
it's not my problem, ask the combat women (a significant percentage of whom have already been verbally and/or sexually fondled, harassed, or raped by their male soldiers).

and these women were injured in battle and had clothing removed that lead to said incidents? Im not following your injured in battle scenario that leads to rape/sexual assault. We know there is a significant problem with sexual harassment/rape towards women in the military. Just not sure how battle injuries play in to that.

DisAsTerBot
02-08-2016, 12:07 PM

yeah they probably take her to the maternity ward and then get her a nice crib for the newborn. wtf

boutons_deux
05-23-2016, 05:17 AM
Military Women Who Speak out About Sexual Assault Are Being Branded With 'Personality Disorder' and Pushed Out

Noxious stereotypes about women being nuts and liars are being used to silence military women who report rape.

Most rapists attack someone they know, which means that holding them accountable means tearing apart whatever community—school, work, friend group—that the accused and accuser belong in. Often, it feels just easier to pressure the accuser to shut up and go away so everything can return to normal, even though that often requires ignoring that there’s a sexual predator in your midst.

In a report released on Thursday, Human Rights Watch turned up alarming evidence (https://www.hrw.org/news/2016/05/19/us-raped-military-then-punished)that, in the military, forces that want to shut accusers up and make them go away have found

a disturbingly potent weapon: Misogynist stereotypes.

By leaning on prejudiced beliefs that women, especially outspoken women, are either dishonest or crazy, the military was able to get rid of women who came forward with rape accusations.

The 124-page report, “Booted: Lack of Recourse for Wrongfully Discharged US Military Rape Survivors (https://www.hrw.org/node/288710/),” found that many rape victims suffering from trauma were unfairly discharged for a “personality disorder” or other mental health condition that makes them ineligible for benefits.

Others were given “Other Than Honorable” discharges for misconduct related to the assault that shut them out of the Department of Veterans Affairs healthcare system and a broad range of educational and financial assistance.

The consequences of having “bad paper”—any discharge other than “honorable”—or being labeled as having a “personality disorder” are far-reaching for veterans and their families, impacting employment, child custody, health care, disability payments, burial rights—virtually all aspects of life.

Dismissing women as crazy or liars or both is a long-standing tactic of rape denialists, who feed of false social beliefs about women being less mentally stable or straightforward than men. That’s how, for instance, Bill Cosby was able to coast so long, despite having settled a lawsuit out of court in which the plaintiff had 13 women ready and willing to speak out (http://www.etonline.com/news/154160_timeline_of_bill_cosby_sexual_assault_alleg ations/).

http://www.alternet.org/personal-health/military-women-who-report-rape-are-being-silenced

rmt
06-14-2016, 11:37 AM
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/senate-passes-defense-bill-including-women-in-draft-224316

Do you remember "An Officer and a Gentleman" and the girl struggling to climb over the wall? That's what I think of when I see girls having to sign up for the draft.