View Full Version : Hornets say Davis not on block

ducks
09-04-2004, 06:39 PM
Hornets say Davis not on block

Bristow plans to meet with him this month

Saturday, September 04, 2004
By John Reid

Staff writer

Hornets officials said Friday they have no plans to shop Baron Davis, their franchise player and two-time All-Star, despite comments from his agent Thursday that he might request a trade because the team is unlikely to win a championship with its current roster.

It already was expected to be a challenging season for the Hornets as they moved into the Western Conference, where all four teams in their new division made the playoffs last season. Team officials now have a much bigger issue they must handle if Davis is disgruntled.

*Advertisement

Davis has four years remaining on his contract.

"We built this team around Baron, and we feel very excited with the coaching staff that we have and the players we got this summer," Hornets general manager Allan Bristow said. "On the basis of that, we're going into this season with a very competitive team, and we're disappointed that Baron doesn't feel that way."

Davis said he doesn't think his team can make a strong playoff push if the roster remains as it is right now. For that reason, Davis and his agent are considering making a trade request.

"I can't control the situation right now. It's in my agent's hands," Davis said by telephone Friday. "I haven't sat down with team officials, so it's hard to try and discuss what's going on right now. I love my teammates, and it has nothing to do with the city of New Orleans."

Bristow said he plans to meet with Davis after he returns to New Orleans in mid-September.

Some have speculated that Davis' dissatisfication was triggered earlier this week when a new team policy was put into place forbidding players from having personal trainers at the team's practice facility during practices.

Davis, center Jamaal Magloire and forward Jamal Mashburn were the only players who had personal trainers last season.

Last season, the Hornets permitted players to have their personal trainers stretch them before and after practice. That job now will be done by Marc Boff, the team's strength and conditioning coach.

"I called several teams to see what type of policy they had," Bristow said. "More than a majority of the teams I contacted didn't allow personal trainers."

Davis said the new rule, though, had no bearing on his decision to evaluate his options.

"It is what it is, the same as last year, and we worked around it," Davis said. "If they're saying I want to be traded because my personal trainer can't come to the gym, come on. I've played with a bum ankle last year and sacrificed for the betterment of the team. For them to say anything like that, it hurts."

Despite his concerns, Davis continues to have high regard for Coach Byron Scott, who could not be reached for comment Friday. Davis said he believes Scott can still help him become a better player.

"I can't do anything else but sit and wait and see what happens," Davis said. "I can make the best of anything. Everybody knows and all my teammates know how I feel about them. It's not about individuals. It's about putting together the best situation right now."

Another issue Davis said concerned him this offseason was the team's decision not to re-sign guards Stacey Augmon and Courtney Alexander. Augmon signed a free-agent deal with the Orlando Magic, and Alexander continues to wait for an offer after missing the 2003-04 season with a ruptured Achilles tendon.
Facing salary-cap restraints, the Hornets signed forward Rodney Rogers and backup center Chris Andersen, but the team was unsuccessful in attempts to land proven players Morris Peterson and Stephen Jackson. "They let two of the players I was closest with on the team go," Davis said. "Obviously, there was a reason I wore 32 on my wrist bands. Courtney is a young player who had an unfortunate injury. If something like that happens to me, I've got to look out for Baron Davis." www.nola.com/sports/t-p/i...284800.xml (http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-12/1094279245284800.xml)

Mark in Austin
09-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Wow. Bob Bass has put together another team of mediocre or aging talent surrounding a bonafide star.

Unfortunately, Baron Davis isn't David Robinson. Which means:

1. He won't turn the other cheek when shit rosters are built around him.

2. He won't be able to carry the team into the playoffs by himself, and he knows it.

IcemanCometh
09-05-2004, 06:19 PM
The Hornets are run by buffoons.

Mark in Austin
09-06-2004, 02:22 PM
They should sell the team to Red McCombs.