PDA

View Full Version : Vs. Lakers: How about that game sealing play?

Spurtacular
02-07-2016, 02:00 AM
Without the benefit of seeing a replay: An iso/spread pic n' roll off of of movement for Green / LMA. Not the play I was expecting. But good to see Danny make the pass on the mismatch and for LMA to finish.

wildbill2u
02-07-2016, 11:41 AM
Obviously no one expected that break to the basket by LMA, especially on the Lakers. Pop and staff are so good on out of bounds plays.

Old School 44
02-07-2016, 01:04 PM
Also, liked the back cut by Parker with the Aldridge pass. Ran it almost as good as Manu. :stirpot:

SAGirl
02-07-2016, 01:10 PM
Without the benefit of seeing a replay: An iso/spread pic n' roll off of of movement for Green / LMA. Not the play I was expecting. But good to see Danny make the pass on the mismatch and for LMA to finish.
I think it was a good gamble by Pop... Danny running a PnR is risky,but Pop guessed that the big would contest Danny's shot, causing a brief opening for that pass. Also most would not have expected Danny to pass but rather to shoot. It must be something the had practiced and got it from their vault bc Pop really wanted this game. Props to both LMA and Danny!

sasaint
02-07-2016, 01:17 PM
Both plays were clutch, creative and very surprising. Along with the final rebound by Kawhi, they did gain us a hard-earned W. Bottom line is: good teams find ways to win even when they aren't playing particularly well. An old cliche, but still true.

Horse
02-07-2016, 02:13 PM
Now maybe LMA will roll more.

spurs10
02-07-2016, 02:17 PM
Both plays were clutch, creative and very surprising. Along with the final rebound by Kawhi, they did gain us a hard-earned W. Bottom line is: good teams find ways to win even when they aren't playing particularly well. An old cliche, but still true. Indeed! Thankfully!

Now maybe LMA will roll more. It looked good!

UZER
02-07-2016, 02:21 PM
I think it was a good gamble by Pop... Danny running a PnR is risky,but Pop guessed that the big would contest Danny's shot, causing a brief opening for that pass. Also most would not have expected Danny to pass but rather to shoot. It must be something the had practiced and got it from their vault bc Pop really wanted this game. Props to both LMA and Danny!

Danny consistently hitting 3s changes everything.

SAGirl
02-07-2016, 02:24 PM
Danny consistently hitting 3s changes everything.
Agreed, if the big didn't contest, Danny was wide open for a 3, with LMA rolling anyways for an O board. I loved how it played out, but the other possibilities were also good. :toast

sasaint
02-07-2016, 06:31 PM
Agreed, if the big didn't contest, Danny was wide open for a 3, with LMA rolling anyways for an O board. I loved how it played out, but the other possibilities were also good. :toast

In the aftermath of the play, I have begun to think that it should be available pretty often. We may see it some more.

sasaint
02-07-2016, 06:34 PM
Now maybe LMA will roll more.

Even though he was a big reason we beat the Fakers, I really liked his energy and his game better in the preceding two games against the Pels and the Mavs. But I agree: I hope he has now found a groove.

Horse
02-07-2016, 08:40 PM
If splitter can score from rolling Aldridge can get the easiest shots of his career and maybe open Danny up.

sasaint
02-07-2016, 08:48 PM
If splitter can score from rolling Aldridge can get the easiest shots of his career and maybe open Danny up.

Yes, but LMA prefers to pop rather than roll. Tbh, it drives me nuts. The good thing is that his shot is money when he faces the basket. I just hate his fade-always.

hater
02-07-2016, 10:26 PM
Any play involving lmalpha next question.

SAGirl
02-08-2016, 01:24 AM
In the aftermath of the play, I have begun to think that it should be available pretty often. We may see it some more.
It all goes back to that play in OKC to close out that game and how Danny ended up forcing a shot up over an overaggressive contesting big, instead of the PnR with TD... I guessed they practiced that after the OKC fiasco.. that is why I said its probably something from the "vault" bc we hadn't seen that. Will be useful with Manu not closing out games. ...

Always Pop, the projects with Danny will pay off in the end.

UNT Eagles 2016
02-08-2016, 01:35 AM
Wouldn't call that the game sealing play at all. If Lakers got the rebound off the Green miss, the Lakers still had a timeout there's a good chance Kobe's competitive spirit kicks in and they force overtime tbh. Leonard's rebound and Diaw's second free throw locked it up, but the young Laker defenders should have boxed out better fwiw.

sasaint
02-08-2016, 01:40 AM
Always Pop, the projects with Danny will pay off in the end.

Actually, he made one nice baseline drive against the Fakers, but unfortunately missed the bunny (as many of us did that game). I don't think he has much court vision or one of our higher BBIQs, but perhaps he can learn and execute one or two new tricks. Perhaps Pop's Dannystein monster will come ALIVE!

tbdog
02-08-2016, 01:52 AM
Anyone got a gif?

Slippy
02-08-2016, 02:15 AM
Wouldn't call that the game sealing play at all. If Lakers got the rebound off the Green miss, the Lakers still had a timeout there's a good chance Kobe's competitive spirit kicks in and they force overtime tbh. Leonard's rebound and Diaw's second free throw locked it up, but the young Laker defenders should have boxed out better fwiw.

If the lakers could generate some offense on transition like most other teams do against the spurs - they probably win.

SAGirl
02-08-2016, 02:19 AM
Actually, he made one nice baseline drive against the Fakers, but unfortunately missed the bunny (as many of us did that game). I don't think he has much court vision or one of our higher BBIQs, but perhaps he can learn and execute one or two new tricks. Perhaps Pop's Dannystein monster will come ALIVE!
He doesn't. He clearly is limited, but if he's shooting the 3 at the rate he is, there are some options that will open up for him bc they play him so close and/or close him out so aggressively. I liked that Pop kept it simple with Danny. The choices were shoot if you are open, if you see the double, pass quickly. Nice execution by Danny have to give him credit and good call by Pop.

:flag:

sasaint
02-08-2016, 08:38 AM
Perhaps I am just dense, but as long as Danny was merely a 3 and D guy, either shooting the 3 or passing the ball on the perimeter, as he did until this season, his real lack of vision and BBIQ were pretty well masked. However, Pop's tinkering with him this season has really unmasked those deficiencies to my eyes. Hopefully he will develop enough vision to execute this particular play with some consistency, however, as it would be a real boon to us. It will be there.

cariocaz
02-08-2016, 08:49 AM
A gif please. :)

Chinook
02-08-2016, 08:59 AM
I don't know if people remembered that Danny's last three was the exact same play the Spurs ran to beat the Lakers a few years ago.

This was the play in 2012:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT8cn0ccnl4

Then here is the play last game (go to the 38-second mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cccpbGSQLqQ

Chinook
02-08-2016, 09:04 AM
The play that's the topic of this thread is at the end of this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvwOKg77-X8