PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Is Pop the GOAT coach?

KobeOwnsDuncan
02-07-2016, 05:49 PM
???

Benoit
02-07-2016, 06:02 PM
Yes

ambchang
02-07-2016, 06:11 PM
If it means building a team and instilling culture. Yes.

If it means x & os. No.

If it means managing egos. No

~O~
02-07-2016, 06:16 PM
Always was for the past 7 years.

DMC
02-07-2016, 06:29 PM
I think Larry Brown is the best coach ever, because he did it so many different places (and again at SMU.. before he got busted). If Pop had success by going to a failing franchise and righting the ship a couple times, I'd say probably so. What Pop does have however is the freedom to be how he is, and not be coerced into accepting stupid shit from big names just because they are big names. Some coaches never really get the chance to coach, they just manage minutes of scrubs. So Pop has earned the ability to actually coach, to mentor players. Some of that earning came after he was allowed to make controversial changes to the organization and because David and Tim allowed themselves to be coached. But David and Tim under Rick Carlisle, they probably get a few rings. Same with a handful of other coaches not named Byron Scott or Monte Williams.

What the Spurs have is a great team of scouts, a great GM and a great owner. Danny Ferry was big for the Spurs and I cannot believe any team would allow that "African" comment to keep him out of a front office. So the Spurs have the total package, and it's expiring tbh.

Mitch
02-07-2016, 09:52 PM
Borderline top 3, you can't put him within arms reach of Jackson. I'd say he's on the list of exceptionally great coaches like Riley, not legends like Jackson and Brown.

Reck
02-07-2016, 09:55 PM
Borderline top 3, you can't put him within arms reach of Jackson. I'd say he's on the list of exceptionally great coaches like Riley, not legends like Jackson and Brown.

:lmao

Mitch
02-07-2016, 09:57 PM
:lmao

Nothing but the truth, Reck. Pop is a good coach, no knock on him.

ambchang
02-07-2016, 10:12 PM

You got a point there. Jackson is pretty much the only coach who gets to hide kobes many flaws with those dominant bigs.

He thought of it. He executed. And he delivered.

Pops up there though. Not many coaches can lead a team with only one offensive player (like the Spurs in 2003) to a title. Not many coaches actually executed and designed a twin tower concept to a title. Not many coaches moved can get titles from both a 4 down offense to a movement based offense. Pop is the most adaptable of all coaches.

Jackson
Auerbach
Daly
Pop
Riley
Brown

Tough to choose just one. Each one has their strengths and each one has their weaknesses.

Thread
02-07-2016, 10:16 PM
They were selling his shit.

But, cooler heads have prevailed,,,he smootched a Bryant ass last nite and for that I say:::They were selling his shit.

daslicer
02-07-2016, 10:19 PM
Jackson ahead of Pop mainly because Jackson never failed close a team out once he was leading in a series. '04,'12,'13, and '15 are all black marks against Pop. The Spurs should have won all 4 of those series but failed to do so and that's on Pop.

Thread
02-07-2016, 10:20 PM
Jackson ahead of Pop mainly because Jackson never failed close a team out once he was leading in a series. '04,'12,'13, and '15 are all black marks against Pop. The Spurs should have won all 4 of those series but failed to do so and that's on Pop.

Boy, howdy, '13 was won.

They was stringing your ropes, sellin' your shit, I was lower than skunk shit.

Mitch
02-07-2016, 10:22 PM
You got a point there. Jackson is pretty much the only coach who gets to hide kobes many flaws with those dominant bigs.

He thought of it. He executed. And he delivered.

Pops up there though. Not many coaches can lead a team with only one offensive player (like the Spurs in 2003) to a title. Not many coaches actually executed and designed a twin tower concept to a title. Not many coaches moved can get titles from both a 4 down offense to a movement based offense. Pop is the most adaptable of all coaches.

Jackson
Auerbach
Daly
Pop
Riley
Brown

Tough to choose just one. Each one has their strengths and each one has their weaknesses.

Didn't bother reading the second you mentioned Kobe, ching-chang. This is about coaches, not players - get the guy's dick out of your mouth and come back.

Splits
02-07-2016, 10:53 PM
I was lower than skunk shit.

How were you doing during Redemption 2014, ending the Heat dynasty?

DMC
02-07-2016, 11:14 PM
How were you doing during Redemption 2014, ending the Heat dynasty?
We'll never know because he was AWOL till it was over.

Thread
02-07-2016, 11:32 PM
We'll never know because he was AWOL till it was over.

That's the point.

DMC
02-07-2016, 11:44 PM
That's the point.

It's chickenshit. It affords you the convenience of afterthought without investment into the series.

Thread
02-07-2016, 11:48 PM
It's chickenshit. It affords you the convenience of afterthought without investment into the series.

Nonsense. It ain't over till it's over. I always show when it's over.

Splits
02-08-2016, 12:34 AM
It ain't over till it's over.

Yep. And it's never "almost" over, despite a 19 year old intern pressing the wrong button.

Thread
02-08-2016, 02:14 AM
Yep. And it's never "almost" over, despite a 19 year old intern pressing the wrong button.

They were selling your shit.

ambchang
02-08-2016, 06:06 AM
Didn't bother reading the second you mentioned Kobe, ching-chang. This is about coaches, not players - get the guy's dick out of your mouth and come back.

Coaches coach teams and teams have players

Got it?

ambchang
02-08-2016, 06:07 AM
Nonsense. It ain't over till it's over. I always show when it's over.

Did you show after game 6 or game 7?

AlexJones
02-08-2016, 06:10 AM
1. Belichick
2. Popovich
3. Mourinho