PDA

View Full Version : David Robinson Sued

Superginobili!!!
09-23-2005, 06:21 PM
just heard on the ticket 760 from jeff vexler that the los angels of anaheim is suing david robinson because apperently the carver academy CA logo or what not is to similar to the angels copyrighted font

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/4898920

Kori Ellis
09-23-2005, 06:22 PM
FOXSports.com
Posted: 1 hour ago

Attorneys representing Major League Baseball have filed a lawsuit against the non-profit elementary school founded by former NBA star David Robinson over the use of a logo once used by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, according to a report in The Los Angeles Times.

Robinson's San Antonio-based Carver Academy, which opened in 2001, apparently uses an interlocking "CA" as its logo. But the school's lawyers are busy battling attorneys representing the Angels, who claim people might be confused on deceived into believing that the team is associated with the school.
Here's the catch: As The Times points out, the team has not used the logo in nine years.

The Angels, on the other hand, say they have the right to approve the use of their names and logos in connection with "educational services."

Carver uses different colors in its logo, and does not include a halo.

That the Angels no longer use the "CA" logo (which they wore from 1993 to '96) is not relevant simply because MLB officials still license old logos.

The case nonetheless illustrates the challenge big-league teams face in protecting their rights to names, logos and designs. And while the Angels are listed as the objecting party, the New York law firm that filed the objections is retained not by the team but by Major League Baseball.

Angels owner Arte Moreno told The Times he was not aware of the Carver case, but did not have a problem with the school's logo use.

"It would be like us going to the Crystal Cathedral," he said, "and saying you can talk about the angels."

As for Robinson, he too was unaware of the trademark dispute. And he said he would be happy to speak with Moreno to help settle this flap.

"If it were that simple, sure," Robinson said.

What's more, Robinson seems to be wondering why this conflict arose in the first place.

"This should be no problem at all," he said. "I'm surprised it would become such a thing."

timvp
09-23-2005, 06:24 PM
Baseball is officially dead.

Baseball
R.I.P.
1845-2005

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
09-23-2005, 06:28 PM
Wow, I dont see how this can reflect possitively on baseball in anyway

usckk
09-23-2005, 06:28 PM
WTF Mate?

timvp
09-23-2005, 06:31 PM
http://www.philanthropyroundtable.org/images/Internet%20links/The%20Carver%20Academy_files/header.jpg

http://www.onlinesports.com/images/jhd-mlb-angels.jpg

:lol

It's not even that close. Nice job there baseball. Let your players juice up for 20 years and then not crack the whip until the public outcry was too loud to ignore. Oh but a non-profit organization has a logo similar to a logo that isn't even being used any more and they'll come hunt you down.

The once proud sport is now a joke.

Boo
09-23-2005, 06:33 PM
That's just pathetic of the angels

Horry For 3!
09-23-2005, 06:33 PM
That is stupid!

Horry For 3!
09-23-2005, 06:35 PM
http://www.philanthropyroundtable.org/images/Internet%20links/The%20Carver%20Academy_files/header.jpg

It's not even that close. Nice job there baseball. Let your players juice up for 20 years and then not crack the whip until the public outcry was too loud to ignore. Oh but a non-profit organization has a logo similar to a logo that isn't even being used any more and they'll come hunt you down.

The only thing in common with it, is the CA and they logo of the CA is even different :lmao

timvp
09-23-2005, 06:38 PM
http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/images/I22094-2005Apr02L
Lying to Congress about our sport: $500 plane ticket.

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2005/08/30/PH2005083002090.jpg
Making a laughing stock out of our sport: Ten Game Suspension.

http://www.funvesting.com/Images/America/Robinson/Rob2.jpg
Trying to make a difference in the world: We'll sue you.

Priceless.

http://www.japan.ea.com/mvp2003/images/logo.jpg

T Park
09-23-2005, 06:43 PM
Is it MLB, or is the angels.

T Park
09-23-2005, 06:44 PM
I see it is MLB.

Nice job.

Vashner
09-23-2005, 07:00 PM
Talk about stepping in shit... they are gonna pay for picking on 50..

2centsworth
09-23-2005, 07:14 PM
We've got to send this story to talk radio shows. MLB should be embarrassed.

Kori Ellis
09-23-2005, 07:22 PM
It's on FoxSports.com, so I'm sure it's all over the radio stations, etc.

I'm sure the Carver Academy copyrighted their own logo when they started up. So this is really a non-issue. MLB is stupid.

SpursWoman
09-23-2005, 07:23 PM
That's okay ... God will get them in the end, I hear Dave's got good connections. :lol

Solid D
09-23-2005, 07:24 PM
MLB's NY Attorneys = Knicks and Nets fans. '99 and '03...'nuff said.

KEDA
09-23-2005, 07:27 PM
I got a letter in the mail because I use a capital B in my first name, MLB says its in conflict with the Red Sox logo.

so I had to change my name to illy, or get the pants sued off of me!

duncan_21
09-23-2005, 07:33 PM
What has this world come to?

Solid D
09-23-2005, 07:35 PM
:rollin @ KEDA

hussker
09-23-2005, 07:40 PM
FIVE-OH...Much more of an Angel than anything out of California could ever be...

As Five-Oh might have said... BOOK-EM A.J.!

hussker
09-23-2005, 07:42 PM
CA, in reference to Baseball, must mean Circulatory Anabolics. In San Antonio, it represents all that is good.

TheWriter
09-23-2005, 08:01 PM
http://usna.com/News_Pubs/Publications/Shipmate/2003/07/Robinson4.jpg

The MLB is pathetic.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-23-2005, 08:03 PM
Damn that is the most pathetic thing I've ever seen come out of pro baseball (and that's saying a lot).

SpursWoman
09-23-2005, 08:15 PM
I got a letter in the mail because I use a capital B in my first name, MLB says its in conflict with the Red Sox logo.

so I had to change my name to illy, or get the pants sued off of me!

I guess the Cubs will be after me next.... :lol

GoSpurs21
09-23-2005, 08:29 PM
simply pathetic

this is one time when Don Hairless big mouth should come in handy

I will boycott watching or attending any MBL game until this is dropped
I will also be sending MBLs sponsers letters of my objection to this frivolous lawsuit

infinite styles
09-23-2005, 08:58 PM
WOW!!! I guess they figured that they couldn't punish their own players so they decided to pick on players from other sports. Damn shame.

jochhejaam
09-23-2005, 09:19 PM

Excellent point, those silly hypocrites.

ambchang
09-23-2005, 10:04 PM
I just went to MLB.com and sent them an email on how to run their PR department.

ShoogarBear
09-23-2005, 10:08 PM
It's about time somebody exposed Robinson and those little bastards for the criminal element they really are.

thispego
09-23-2005, 10:09 PM
do you think david robinson can afford a good attorney? should we take up a collection for his legal funds??

phyzik
09-23-2005, 10:11 PM
I bet it wont even get to the point of attaining an attorney. Once this hits the radio/television, coupled with the already bad rep MLB has with the drug issue, this suit will be dropped faster then Tpark jumps off the bandwagon.

thispego
09-23-2005, 10:13 PM
zing

spurster
09-23-2005, 10:17 PM
Does that mean I have to stop pretending to be a fan of the LAAAs?

With a rapid Red Sox fan and a budding one in the house, a counteraction was required. Becoming a Yankee fan seemed like too dangerous an option. However, when the Angels adopted the pathetic name Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, I found my team! They are currently in position for the playoffs, too!

I need advice. This seems to amplify their PR patheticness, so that would make them more attractive. But suing a school DRob supports? That is really low. Well, maybe more like a high inside fastball near the chin.

CalsonicKansei
09-23-2005, 10:22 PM
They just want to show that the NBA has bad people too, sure................

Obstructed_View
09-23-2005, 11:11 PM
Non issue. It's registered in the state of Texas. End of story. Unless I'm mistaken MLB has no case whatsoever.

Word Mark THE CARVER ACADEMY
Goods and Services IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: educational services, namelyschool education for pre-kindergarten through 8th grade. FIRST USE:20000809. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20000809
Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
Design Search Code 050325 240102 240907
Serial Number 76385135
Filing Date March 20, 2002
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Published for Opposition November 19, 2002
Owner (APPLICANT) Carver Academy, Inc., The NONPROFIT CORPORATION TEXASP.O. Box 10270 San Antonio TEXAS 78210
Attorney of Record Pamela B. Huff
Disclaimer NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "ACADEMY" APART FROMTHE MARK AS SHOWN
Type of Mark SERVICE MARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

CubanMustGo
09-23-2005, 11:21 PM
"But the school's lawyers are busy battling attorneys representing the Angels, who claim people might be confused on deceived into believing that the team is associated with the school."

Yeah, God knows how much it would hurt the freakin' I-don't-know-what-my-town-is-this-month "Angels" to be associated with something that does so much public good. What a joke.

spurs=bling
09-23-2005, 11:36 PM
I just went to MLB.com and sent them an email on how to run their PR department.
:tu :tu :tu

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-23-2005, 11:42 PM
"But the school's lawyers are busy battling attorneys representing the Angels, who claim people might be confused on deceived into believing that the team is associated with the school."

Yeah, because everyone in San Antonio Texas sees that intertwined C and A and thinks "California Angels."

Leetonidas
09-24-2005, 12:30 AM
MLB = Moronic Loser Bitches

That's almost as low as you can go.

alamo50
09-24-2005, 02:37 AM
I am truly speechless..........

Trainwreck2100
09-24-2005, 03:09 AM
Throw the book at him, we should encourage athletes to spend their money on performance enhancing drugs. Not no damn charities.

smeagol
09-24-2005, 06:45 AM
Baseball is officially dead.

Baseball
R.I.P.
1845-2005
Thank God you realized this, timvp. Now you can move on to watching some real sports, such as soccer :lol :lol :lol

Dos
09-24-2005, 07:10 AM
it's bush's fault after all he was once a baseball owner!

thanks,
Nbadan

clubalien
09-24-2005, 07:43 AM
this is bullshit BTW I even asked a graphics person to make a logo with an interlocking CA before. Glad I didn't use it because I woudl be sued by soem baseball place i never heard of. that element is to obvious common to actual defind in court

TDMVPDPOY
09-24-2005, 10:21 AM
IS MLB, also goin to sue CA aka chartered accountants?? they also use CA as their logo.

nkdlunch
09-24-2005, 11:51 AM
what goes aroung comes around

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Just add this to the whole strike deal back in the 90s as another reason I will never spend another dime on professional baseball :td

Useruser666
09-24-2005, 12:08 PM
Soon California will be Kalifornia = KA

Mavs<Spurs
09-24-2005, 12:27 PM
They won't win and they will remove whatever shred of respect and credibility remained for all but the most die hard baseball fans and baseball apologists. Baseball is not America's national pastime anymore. Maybe the owners and certain others need to take some brain steroids!!!
:fro

ObiwanGinobili
09-24-2005, 12:33 PM
good job to MLB for finding a truly spectacular way to demolish whatever last shred of dignity they had left.
f u c k i n g p a t h e t i c. :td

A. they were not the 1st nor the last to interlock a C and A
B. The 2 logos are in no way alike.... i would never ever ever ever have made hat association.
C. no one has ever paid enough attention to the LAAA (or whoever) long enopugh to retain the trivial inof that they once used a CA logo.

Sense
09-24-2005, 12:34 PM
What is wrong with these people!?!

samikeyp
09-24-2005, 01:05 PM
Fuck baseball.

Vashner
09-24-2005, 02:39 PM
Too bad the liberal media is too busy trying to bring down Bush
and not going to cover a legit story of the good guy getting shitted on by MLB
loosers.

ShoogarBear
09-24-2005, 03:02 PM
loosers.

Thank you, Mr. Non Sequitur.

hussker
09-24-2005, 03:06 PM
Again: CA = Circulatory Anabolics
The LAAA's are just trying to MUSCLE up a bit! hehehe

TheTruth
09-24-2005, 03:29 PM
If only they would try this in san antonio.

my2sons
09-24-2005, 05:25 PM
loosers.

leave it to someone to try to spin this into something positive for Bush...he was an owner, he would probably be leading the lawsuit :oops

hussker
09-24-2005, 05:37 PM
This Just In: While Al Gore was inventing the internet, a little known Texas businessman and ne'er do well baseball franchise owner known as W was perfecting the anabolic steroid. Rumor is, he chose one of his players, we will call him RP, to test the VITAMIN. The rest is history..

HEHEHE

hussker
09-24-2005, 05:38 PM
Fuck baseball.

The seams will scrape your corona! OWWIE!

Spurminator
09-25-2005, 07:07 PM
This law firm is absolutely clueless, and so is Baseball for hanging on to them.

These are the same people who targeted fan websites for using pictures on their sites that featured MLB team logos. Nothing's smarter for business than suing your biggest fans and most loyal consumers.

Now they're taking on a nonprofit. If I'm Bud Selig, I immediately fire whoever gave the okay to move forward with this lawsuit. Unless of course it was me, in which case I put a gun to my head and pull the trigger because I'm wasting food and oxygen for people who deserve it more.

benjirh
09-25-2005, 10:37 PM
All of you really have no clue about advertising. I agree that it is stupid and that carver didn't "steal" it, but this is how our society works. Companies, not just MLB, are extremely careful about anything that comes close to their symbol. Don't make it out at MLB being the enemy, becuase I can promise you that if another company in SA had a symbol that looked like that they would push Carver on the same thing. So yes I think it is retarded and I don't think it will even go through, but to say that the Angels don't have a case at all and that they are the worst people ever is just stupid.

efrem1
09-25-2005, 10:43 PM
I work at the Capitol here in Sacramento and our press secretary is from Orange County and an Angels fan. I just drop the bomb via e-mail and told her that the Angels were a bunch of losers. I hope they get swept by the A's this week!!

We are SPURTACUS!!!!

Spurminator
09-25-2005, 10:50 PM
All of you really have no clue about advertising. I agree that it is stupid and that carver didn't "steal" it, but this is how our society works. Companies, not just MLB, are extremely careful about anything that comes close to their symbol. Don't make it out at MLB being the enemy, becuase I can promise you that if another company in SA had a symbol that looked like that they would push Carver on the same thing. So yes I think it is retarded and I don't think it will even go through, but to say that the Angels don't have a case at all and that they are the worst people ever is just stupid.

All that and you really didn't say anything except to agree with the clueless that it's stupid.

"Yeah it's stupid but so are you."

Great input.

samikeyp
09-26-2005, 12:12 AM

They are filing a suit against an entity whose sole purpose is to educate children and help them to become productive citzens in the future. How the FUCK does that threaten MLB or the Angels? I agree that businesses of all kinds need to protect their investments but this is really fucking stupid. Obviously its close but its not the same...and even if it was, again how does it threaten MLB and the Angels. There is no legitimate reason for this lawsuit except to drag the name of a great institution (no, NOT the Angels) and a great name through unwanted publicity. So yes, I say they DON'T have a case and they are some of the worst people I have heard of and I don't need an advertising degree to know that.

Useruser666
09-26-2005, 07:59 AM
I hope nobody has the intials CA for their name!

ObiwanGinobili
09-26-2005, 09:23 AM
I hope nobody has the intials CA for their name!

oh shit! :oops CA are the 1st 2 letter sof my 1st name!!!!

crap! what am I gonna do now???? :cry SHUSHHHHH! no one tell MLB!!!!!!

:lmao

mrblonde17
09-26-2005, 11:00 AM
Two words:

BAD KARMA!

ShoogarBear
09-26-2005, 11:11 AM
Two words:

BAD KARMA!

British Knights[TM] is going to sue you for that, as soon as a lawyer can find someone who used to work for them.

Jimcs50
09-26-2005, 11:11 AM
I have lost all repect for David Robinson now, the damn thief....I might change my name now.

spurster
09-26-2005, 11:58 AM
This lawsuit has helped the LAAAs though. They are now 4 games ahead in their division.

DDS4
09-26-2005, 12:29 PM
The Dodgers should sue the Angels for using 'Los Angeles' for their city.

The idiots over there should realize Orange County =/ LA.

ambchang
09-26-2005, 03:58 PM
First of all, this is a branding issue, not an advertising issue. Second, you build your brand through strong performance, heavy advertising, and targetting your market, not by suing a non-profit organization months after your atheletes are accused of using illegal drugs. If anything, this gives a negative brand image, and is the last thing you want to do.
BTW, I do not understand the part where you said it is retarded for them to sue and the case will even through, while saying that people are stupid for saying the Angels don't have a case. Aren't you and those "stupid" people saying the same thing?

Useruser666
09-26-2005, 04:13 PM
http://www.dvdloc8.com/images/dvdcover/10974.jpg

nkdlunch
09-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Just another reason why I think Baseball Sucks

gameFACE
09-26-2005, 07:04 PM
I have a hard time seeing this thing developing any further. The MLB doesn't want the PR nightmare. Carver Academy has the thing copyrighted and ... well ...it's not like overlapping letters is the Angels invention.

GoSpurs21
09-26-2005, 08:32 PM
loosers.please take your pathetic sheep minded blindness to the political forum where it belongs

benjirh
09-26-2005, 09:08 PM
First of all, this is a branding issue, not an advertising issue. Second, you build your brand through strong performance, heavy advertising, and targetting your market, not by suing a non-profit organization months after your atheletes are accused of using illegal drugs. If anything, this gives a negative brand image, and is the last thing you want to do.
BTW, I do not understand the part where you said it is retarded for them to sue and the case will even through, while saying that people are stupid for saying the Angels don't have a case. Aren't you and those "stupid" people saying the same thing?

What I was trying to say is that I think the system is dumb and that obviously carver academy had no intention of stealing the angels logo. So I agree that it is dumb to sue. But people were making it out to be the angels solely attacking carver academy. And that is not the case. Any company will protect their logo for advertising purposes. It is nothing personal against the academy. So I understand that this is how our system works, whether or not I like it, doesn't change the system. It also doesn't make MLB or the Angels the worst organizations on earth. Just makes them like any other company in the US.

SequSpur
09-26-2005, 09:09 PM
I think Robinson should do 1 year in the pen for this offense.

CubanMustGo
09-26-2005, 11:56 PM
Just makes them like any other company in the US.

No, I think that a company with brains would have picked up the phone, called Carver, and said "MLB has to protect its rights. We know you're not trying to impinge upon them, but so that we can maintain our rights against those who are, we would like to sign an agreement stating that you have the right to use this similar logo, with MLB approval. We will sell you these rights for $1 in perpetuity, as long as you limit your usage to scholastic purposes."

ambchang
09-27-2005, 10:31 AM
What I was trying to say is that I think the system is dumb and that obviously carver academy had no intention of stealing the angels logo. So I agree that it is dumb to sue. But people were making it out to be the angels solely attacking carver academy. And that is not the case. Any company will protect their logo for advertising purposes. It is nothing personal against the academy. So I understand that this is how our system works, whether or not I like it, doesn't change the system. It also doesn't make MLB or the Angels the worst organizations on earth. Just makes them like any other company in the US.
Of course it does. The reason David Robinson was so surprised about this lawsuit is that this is not the first step to solve a problem. You destroy trust between the two parties from the get go, and left no room for negotiations. Ever thought of approaching the academy and work something out first? Lawsuits are not the only option, it's the LAST option.
And being a multi-billion organization like MLB (nothing to do with the Angels) does not realize that? It may not make them the worst organizations on earth, but they are at least making a bid for it.