PDA

View Full Version : If the Hawks have a fire sale who would you be interested in for the Spurs?

Old School 44
02-09-2016, 02:16 PM
Hawks may entertain deals for Al Horford, Jeff Teague at deadline (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14745595/atlanta-hawks-entertain-deals-al-horford-jeff-teague-kyle-korver-trade-deadline)

I doubt if the Spurs do anything before the deadline, but with the connection to Coach Bud, maybe RC/Pop can swing a favorable deal for the Spurs. Which player(s), if any, do think would make good Spurs? Korver, Horford, Teague?

baseline bum
02-09-2016, 02:18 PM
Korver would be incredible, but for what? Simmons and Slow Mo?

baseline bum
02-09-2016, 02:19 PM
Didn't realize Korver was having such a lousy year, maybe the Spurs can pick him up cheap.

Old School 44
02-09-2016, 02:22 PM
Yep, Korver would be my pick, but not sure what the Spurs have as far as truly tradeable assets to get him, especially compared to what other contenders might offer.

$pursDynasty
02-09-2016, 02:32 PM
Thabo for Boner, we will need the extra wing defenders when the Warriors come around.

YGWHI
02-09-2016, 02:35 PM
Teague won't play in the 2nd unit, I'd be concerned about Horford/Splitter injuries histories...a great 3's shooter like Korver is always welcome. But I wouldn't trade some of our guys for them so I agree with you, the Spurs won't make a move before the deadline.

TheDoctor
02-09-2016, 02:35 PM
This year: Korver
Post TD: Horford

Chinook
02-09-2016, 02:53 PM
The two teams aren't a good match. The Hawks have a bunch of mid-sized contracts (basically their entire rotation) while the Spurs have no expendable mid-sized deals. Unless the team can get Horford for a song, they isn't anything that could work out.

So like this: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jgc9hft Plus three unprotected firsts by the Spurs. That doesn't address Manu retiring (and in fact only exacerbates it), but it does ensure the Spurs of having the best front court for a few more years.

Chinook
02-09-2016, 02:56 PM
I guess Bonner and Butler for Bazemore and Patterson would be interesting as well, though the Spurs will probably not be able to keep Kent. And if the Hawks want Boban in that proposed Horford swap, I'd change Simmons/Patterson with Marjanovic/Muscala

SpursFan86
02-09-2016, 03:06 PM
Bazemore is probably the best somewhat realistic guy we could get. Would be an upgrade over Simmons/Anderson in the short-term as the 4th wing.

SPURt
02-09-2016, 03:13 PM
I know he's 34 and getting to his twilight but Korver.

toki9
02-09-2016, 03:18 PM
Didn't realize Korver was having such a lousy year, maybe the Spurs can pick him up cheap.

Didn't Korver have an elbow surgery in the offseason? Maybe that screwed up his shot.

gambit1990
02-09-2016, 03:21 PM
i'd take korver. not giving up simmons though.

Nathan89
02-09-2016, 03:26 PM
Korver is playing better lately. It'd be too difficult to get him with the contracts on the team.

Bazemore would be an awesome get though.

sasaint
02-09-2016, 03:27 PM
in order to do any deals with Atlanta that would move the needle, due to the contracts involved, we would need to move core players. Won't happen. Teague is a player I have liked up until this season; but he is not playing well. Korver has fallen off. Bazemore is another smallish wing - not really a 2. Unless we move a core big, we wouldn't be able to get Horford. Bringing in Horford for Diaw seems intriguing on paper not so much in reality when you think about having to integrate him AND Aldridge AND West (even Boban, to some extent). Schroder is not getting traded. Millsap is not going to get let go in a "fire sale." Don't see anything happening with Atlanta. With Danny rounding into form and Patty showing some signs of life, I prefer our core at this juncture. I'd like a bigger point guard or combo guard, but we will not trade anybody valuable enough to net us the "missing piece" to a championship.

I'd like to improve our roster, but with contracts and team chemistry and what not, that is fantasy league stuff at midseason. Oh yeah, we are also pretty darn good.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-09-2016, 03:32 PM
WHy on Earth would you want a 34 year old who is having a down year? That is typically when guys fall off cliffs.

FWIW the cap is projected to go up significantly next year.

Chinook again seems obtuse to this dynamic like last year.

NASpurs
02-09-2016, 03:32 PM
I love these threads, they usually turn into "let's give them our crap for their All-Stars" type of deals.

tmtcsc
02-09-2016, 03:35 PM
Hawks may entertain deals for Al Horford, Jeff Teague at deadline (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14745595/atlanta-hawks-entertain-deals-al-horford-jeff-teague-kyle-korver-trade-deadline)

I doubt if the Spurs do anything before the deadline, but with the connection to Coach Bud, maybe RC/Pop can swing a favorable deal for the Spurs. Which player(s), if any, do think would make good Spurs? Korver, Horford, Teague?

I'd be surprised if Bud kept his job if he took a call from 210 area code. We raped that team with Splitter deal.

Old School 44
02-09-2016, 03:42 PM
I'd be surprised if Bud kept his job if he took a call from 210 area code. We raped that team with Splitter deal.
We gave Splitter to the Hawks to free dollars for LA, not sure what they lost outside of the money. At the time, it looked like a big win for the Hawks.

Cry Havoc
02-09-2016, 03:43 PM
Horford is a pipe dream.

Would we have a shot at Bazemore? Maybe if there's a firesale. I like the guy. Could be a good backup SF for us.

timtonymanu
02-09-2016, 03:43 PM
I love these threads, they usually turn into "let's give them our crap for their All-Stars" type of deals.

Welp there goes my Millsap for Bonner post I was ready to type out.

Chinook
02-09-2016, 03:44 PM
I think if you can get Horford without moving the starters or Manu, you do it. It'll be so much easier to keep him than it would be to get him. And the Spurs would be able to keep their MLE/LLE. Only issue would be Duncan coming off the bench (because he WOULD be doing that in this scenario). That doesn't feel right, and it may not be the best thing for the team. But you do what you can to get Horford to re-sign, and LMA is probably the best overall player out of the three of them.

Parker, McCallum, Mack (could switch those two)
Green, Ginobili, Holiday
Leonard, Anderson, Butler
Aldridge, West, Bonner
Horford, Duncan, Boban

2016-2017:
Parker, Mack, min guy/rookie
Green, Holiday min guy/rookie
Leonard, Anderson, Bertans
Aldridge, West (hopefully), LJC
Horford, Boban, Lalanne

I think that's pretty good. The lack of protections on that 2020 pick would be scary, as who knows what will happen, but that's the risk that's necessary for the Hawks to pull the trigger.

Chinook
02-09-2016, 03:46 PM
Horford is a pipe dream.

Would we have a shot at Bazemore? Maybe if there's a firesale. I like the guy. Could be a good backup SF for us.

Wouldn't even say he's a pipedream. I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs didn't even want him. But from what I'm hearing from other fans, he's probably not going to fetch a whole lot with his UFA status. So I think he'd be within the Spurs' possible striking distance if they do want to go big.

NASpurs
02-09-2016, 03:48 PM
Welp there goes my Millsap for Bonner post I was ready to type out.

If it's for the minimum, why not?

(during the summer)

r0drig0lac
02-09-2016, 03:58 PM
several interested teams really have the resources, no one is coming to SAS, lol Butler and Bonner to Korver and Bazemore

FuzzyLumpkins
02-09-2016, 04:08 PM
http://www.spotrac.com/nba/san-antonio-spurs/cap/2016/

We are sitting at ~$6m under the cap if we rescind Bonner and Butler which seems likely. We can really only use that space if we trade for players though because of how the league accounts for exceptions. IOW, we can take on ~$6m in salary in a trade and still use our MLE/etc this offseason.

Russ
02-09-2016, 04:12 PM

The Spurs and Hawks tend to help each other. Might Korver be had for a second round pick?

Could Korver be additional compensation for the Splitter deal? How does Atlanta view that deal?

A future pick and Butler?

The Spurs won't mortgage the future (strictly against their principles) for a Korver rental. So it may be academic.

Chinook
02-09-2016, 04:23 PM
The Spurs and Hawks tend to help each other. Might Korver be had for a second round pick?

Could Korver be additional compensation for the Splitter deal? How does Atlanta view that deal?

A future pick and Butler?

The Spurs won't mortgage the future (strictly against their principles) for a Korver rental. So it may be academic.

Korver is mad-unrealistic unless the team gives up a rotation player. Problem with that is that the Hawks don't have the cheap decent guys to help the Spurs fill in the holes trading rotation guys would make.

tmtcsc
02-09-2016, 04:54 PM
We gave Splitter to the Hawks to free dollars for LA, not sure what they lost outside of the money. At the time, it looked like a big win for the Hawks.

Because of the Opportunity Cost of using the $$ for a player who was clearly damaged. He should really retire. It's a sad reality for him but his body can't take the NBA grind. No shame in that - few can.

Robz4000
02-09-2016, 05:00 PM
Plenty of guys I'd want, but the Spurs don't have the contracts to get them or would have to give up players I like more.

UNT Eagles 2016
02-09-2016, 05:02 PM
I'm surprised nobody ITT has flaunted the idea of bringing back Shitter, tbh :lol

Chinook
02-09-2016, 05:04 PM
http://www.spotrac.com/nba/san-antonio-spurs/cap/2016/

We are sitting at ~$6m under the cap if we rescind Bonner and Butler which seems likely. We can really only use that space if we trade for players though because of how the league accounts for exceptions. IOW, we can take on ~$6m in salary in a trade and still use our MLE/etc this offseason.

Yeah, you can't actually do that. Trades that use cap space can only be done if the exceptions are renounced. You're really bad at this basketball thing.

wildbill2u
02-09-2016, 05:48 PM
The Spurs built a damn good team that is just now rounding into shape with the new players (LMA, West, Simmons, Boban) understanding their roles in the Spurs team system. While a final tweak for the perfect player would be great, it ain't gonna happen because the perfect player to fit in isn't going to be available for the right price.

After all, we are sitting in the second place in the league so maybe we should ride it out and see if lightning can't strike again.

sasaint
02-09-2016, 05:55 PM
The two teams aren't a good match. The Hawks have a bunch of mid-sized contracts (basically their entire rotation) while the Spurs have no expendable mid-sized deals. Unless the team can get Horford for a song, they isn't anything that could work out.

So like this: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jgc9hft Plus three unprotected firsts by the Spurs. That doesn't address Manu retiring (and in fact only exacerbates it), but it does ensure the Spurs of having the best front court for a few more years.

I do not see us making any moves, but especially not one that involves so many pieces. First, I just do not think a bunch of Atlanta's young guys are really very appealing. I like our young guys fine, and as Philly has proved amply, a team can't have very many developmental prospects at once. Plus, 3 #1 picks seems a little rich. If Atlanta does not believe they can re-sign Horford, then I could see our offering them Danny and 2 #1s. (Throw in Marjanovic if they need a fill-in big.) They can probably do better. Really after Boris' tenure in Charlotte, I suspect that he really is seen as having almost no value at all except by San Antonio. Probably nobody is really excited by Mills, either. The possibility that the Spurs do something before this trade deadline seems even more unlikely than in past years, tbh.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-09-2016, 06:01 PM
dp

FuzzyLumpkins
02-09-2016, 06:02 PM
Yeah, you can't actually do that. Trades that use cap space can only be done if the exceptions are renounced. You're really bad at this basketball thing.

:lol Another blanket dismissal without proof from the usual suspect. Same guy who kept on saying we couldn't get enough room last year with the same excuse.

Chinook
02-09-2016, 06:02 PM
I do not see us making any moves, but especially not one that involves so many pieces. First, I just do not think a bunch of Atlanta's young guys are really very appealing. I like our young guys fine, and as Philly has proved amply, a team can't have very many developmental prospects at once. Plus, 3 #1 picks seems a little rich. If Atlanta does not believe they can re-sign Horford, then I could see our offering them Danny and 2 #1s. (Throw in Marjanovic if they need a fill-in big.) They can probably do better. Really after Boris' tenure in Charlotte, I suspect that he really is seen as having almost no value at all except by San Antonio. Probably nobody is really excited by Mills, either. The possibility that the Spurs do something before this trade deadline seems even more unlikely than in past years, tbh.

I actually think both of those guys would be huge for Atlanta. They both know how to play the way Bud wants to play, and they can be the core to building a strong bench. The only issue is they need a center.

I don't think Green for Horford makes sense for either team. The Spurs don't need to trade a wing for a big, especially right now. And you're sending one of West or Diaw to the deep bench. It's bad form. And the Hawks are thin up front as it is. They don't need to commit a lot of money to Green. Boban helps somewhat, but they already have a 7-3 guy who's best as a fifth big.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-09-2016, 06:04 PM
Teams under the salary cap may make trades as they please, as long as they don't finish more than $100,000 above the salary cap following any trade. But if a team finishes more than $100,000 over the cap, whether they started out above or below the cap, then an exception is required. An exception is the mechanism that allows a team to make trades or sign players and finish over the salary cap. Since most teams are usually over the salary cap, trades are usually completed using exceptions.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q82

elemento
02-09-2016, 06:04 PM
All guys could potentially help the Spurs

The question is: Are they worth the price?

Chinook
02-09-2016, 06:10 PM
:lol Another blanket dismissal without proof from the usual suspect. Same guy who kept on saying we couldn't get enough room last year with the same excuse.

There's a difference between, 'This won't work under the specified parameters' and 'This is against the rules.' The former was the explanations of why the Spurs couldn't keep their top eight and sign LMA (which they didn't end up doing). The latter is a dismissal based on the CBA not letting a team use cap space and the MLE in the same off-season NO MATTER WHAT.

This is really basic CBAing. That you don't know this is why you can't come up with a basic argument.

SpursFan86
02-09-2016, 06:11 PM

Can't remember which thread it was, but someone on here a few days ago proposed Bonner + McCallum for Michael Carter-Williams :lol

HarlemHeat37
02-09-2016, 07:08 PM

:lmao:lmao

DPG21920
02-09-2016, 07:12 PM
Fuzzy, you are wrong here and Chinook is correct. Anyone who knows the CBA remotely at all understands you can't use cap space and MLE. It's why it's called an "exception" fundamentally.

Anyways, Horford is their best player (IMO) when it comes to impact and would a ridiculous fit next to LMA post-Duncan. I can't at all see the Spurs having near the assets to obtain him but I would obviously be all for it.

DPG21920
02-09-2016, 07:15 PM

That's not really what he said at all last year w/ regards to LMA. He simply outlined what certain people were proposing would not work (keep everyone). Certain things (like the Tiago trade) changed the known variables.

HarlemHeat37
02-09-2016, 07:15 PM
I'm not a fan of any Hawks players, tbh..I'd take Bazemore as a backup wing, but he's probably too good to play that role(although not good enough to be a reliable starter)..

Horford and Millsap are unreliable and awkward for playoff basketball, and Korver is just too old, at this point..

HarlemHeat37
02-09-2016, 07:16 PM
Fuzzy, you are wrong here and Chinook is correct. Anyone who knows the CBA remotely at all understands you can't use cap space and MLE. It's why it's called an "exception" fundamentally.

Anyways, Horford is their best player (IMO) when it comes to impact and would a ridiculous fit next to LMA post-Duncan. I can't at all see the Spurs having near the assets to obtain him but I would obviously be all for it.

To be fair, isn't that always the case?

FuzzyLumpkins
02-09-2016, 07:16 PM

I was talking about trades and I just quoted where you could trade as much as you want as long as you end up at no more than $100k over. It helps when judging an argument to at least understand the argument, grit and grind.

sasaint
02-09-2016, 07:18 PM
I actually think both of those guys would be huge for Atlanta. They both know how to play the way Bud wants to play, and they can be the core to building a strong bench. The only issue is they need a center.

I don't think Green for Horford makes sense for either team. The Spurs don't need to trade a wing for a big, especially right now. And you're sending one of West or Diaw to the deep bench. It's bad form. And the Hawks are thin up front as it is. They don't need to commit a lot of money to Green. Boban helps somewhat, but they already have a 7-3 guy who's best as a fifth big.

I do not think that Patty and Diaw would be huge for Atlanta. But I believe that if any other team saw any real value in either player, it would be Atlanta. So don't worry about the additional players: offer up Patty, Boris and 2 1st round picks for Horford and see if they bite. Throw in Boban if necessary. Don't get me wrong - I love Horford, and having him AND Aldridge AND West going forward in a post-Timmy world would be about as good as we could possibly dream. Just get RC's go ahead and do it!

buttsR4rebounding
02-09-2016, 07:20 PM
How about Coach Bud for Becky Hammond? Can we finally admit the female coach experiment is a fail?

Chinook
02-09-2016, 07:23 PM
I do not think that Patty and Diaw would be huge for Atlanta. But I believe that if any other team saw any real value in either player, it would be Atlanta. So don't worry about the additional players: offer up Patty, Boris and 2 1st round picks for Horford and see if they bite. Throw in Boban if necessary. Don't get me wrong - I love Horford, and having him AND Aldridge AND West going forward in a post-Timmy world would be about as good as we could possibly dream. Just get RC's go ahead and do it!

The issue is that the Spurs need a PG who's better than McCallum, and I don't know where they'd find one. Maybe the Grizz are willing to give up Calathes for nothing? Or the Heat want to dump Udrih? If the team had Prigioni instead of McCallum, this would be much less of an issue right now.

apalisoc_9
02-09-2016, 07:25 PM
Jesus christ..Fuzzy is a legit dumbass.

sasaint
02-09-2016, 07:30 PM
The issue is that the Spurs need a PG who's better than McCallum, and I don't know where they'd find one. Maybe the Grizz are willing to give up Calathes for nothing? Or the Heat want to dump Udrih? If the team had Prigioni instead of McCallum, this would be much less of an issue right now.

I'm not sure that Holiday or Patterson is better than McCallum. They don't shoot the ball as well.

Chinook
02-09-2016, 07:32 PM
I'm not sure that Holiday or Patterson is better than McCallum. They don't shoot the ball as well.

That's why I had Mack going over. Holiday or Patterson could go with Horford without causing further player movement.

02-09-2016, 07:38 PM
Only Bazemore has value for the Spurs and low enough salary for a trade to be possible. The following players are expendable on the Spurs: Anderson, Simmons, MacCallum, and Butler. Bonner might be expendable but the Spurs might have emotional attachment towards him.

As much as I would hate for Simmons to go since he looks like a poor man's Tyreke Evans, I highly doubt he will see significant minutes in the playoffs since he is a rookie. It will be worth the risk to pawn him off for Bazemore. Bazemore can at least make the playoff rotation. Hawks might want to trade Bazemore now to get value if they don't want to pay him next year. Simmons + Anderson + 1st round pick might be a decent package. Spurs will definitely have to get the family discount though.

But then again, the Hawks' future looks bleak so they may have no choice but to pay him next year.

DPG21920
02-09-2016, 07:52 PM
I was talking about trades and I just quoted where you could trade as much as you want as long as you end up at no more than $100k over. It helps when judging an argument to at least understand the argument, grit and grind.

I saw what you quoted. Do you see everyone telling you that you are wrong? We all understand the trade rules and you should take it as a sign of respect that we don't cite CBA language to you for everything we say because it's so basic that we assume even you know it.

Also, you keep on with the grit and grind thing and I honestly don't even remember the conversation with you :lol. Assuming it has something to do with you thinking Hollins was a great coach?

FuzzyLumpkins
02-09-2016, 08:20 PM
I saw what you quoted. Do you see everyone telling you that you are wrong? We all understand the trade rules and you should take it as a sign of respect that we don't cite CBA language to you for everything we say because it's so basic that we assume even you know it.

Also, you keep on with the grit and grind thing and I honestly don't even remember the conversation with you :lol. Assuming it has something to do with you thinking Hollins was a great coach?

so now you and chinook are everyone? youre going with the 'we' thing as well.

While you are trying to play this as me only remembering becaseu its important, I remember most things unless I'm fucked up.

I will be happy to help you remember. I was saying that those Grizzlies didn't matchup well with us while you were saying that there grit and grind would make things difficult for us. We swept in the face of your regurgitation of the Memphis marketing slogan.

And I never said Hollins was a great coach. Your binary mind obviously struggles with nuance.

sasaint
02-09-2016, 08:21 PM
That's why I had Mack going over. Holiday or Patterson could go with Horford without causing further player movement.

I think that trade you worked up just involves way too many moving pieces for us. At the deadline, we typically stand pat or make a blockbuster one-for-one deal like Nando for Austin Daye, if we do anything at all. :lol Too much turnover in a year when Pop has already experienced much more than he is comfortable with, IMHO.

As an aside, if we were to acquire another star big, then I would be more comfortable in the long run parting with Kyle before Simmons. IMHO Kyle will never play significant minutes at the three; ultimately he will settle in at the four, either bulking up and gaining strength for a "real" 4 or becoming a small ball 4 for his entire career. So, if we had Timmy, LMA, Horford, West and Boban (supplemented by Bonner and Butler) in the short term, and LMA, Horford, West and one or more of: Boban, Ndoye, Lalanne beyond this year, then Anderson seems more expendable than Simmons, IMHO.

I really like both Simmons and Kyle as prospects. I even like McCallum okay - probably better than you. I think in the deal, Diaw and Patty for Horford, we would be okay for the remainder of this season with Tony, Manu and McCallum at the point with some assistance from Simmons and Kawhi. We would be okay in the short-term.

Basically, I do not see us making any moves, much less a move as big as acquiring Horford. We aren't too bad off,if we stand pat. :toast

DPG21920
02-09-2016, 08:25 PM
so now you and chinook are everyone? youre going with the 'we' thing as well.

While you are trying to play this as me only remembering becaseu its important, I remember most things unless I'm fucked up.

I will be happy to help you remember. I was saying that those Grizzlies didn't matchup well with us while you were saying that there grit and grind would make things difficult for us. We swept in the face of your regurgitation of the Memphis marketing slogan.

And I never said Hollins was a great coach. Your binary mind obviously struggles with nuance.

That doesn't sound right.

G-Dawgg
02-09-2016, 09:12 PM
I'd ditch Green for Horford in a heartbeat. Horford has All-Star qualities. Green has D-League qualities....

DPG21920
02-09-2016, 09:24 PM
Ugh, I love Horford, and he's clearly better than Danny, but that would leave a hole and add to an already strong position. You have to do that deal (which be real, ATL wouldn't do that), but it would be tough.

Kikoluna
02-09-2016, 10:18 PM
How about Coach Bud for Becky Hammond? Can we finally admit the female coach experiment is a fail?
She's hot man, leave her there. This guy

Kikoluna
02-09-2016, 10:19 PM
And let's give them slow mo plus a pick for the golden god

FuzzyLumpkins
02-09-2016, 11:18 PM
That doesn't sound right.

:lol You said you don't remember. Now when remembering is important you go with this. What a little sophist turd you are.

I remember well and I've been making fun of you about it for the last several years. You really lack originality and regurgitate hype and marketing. Grit and grind was just when I first noticed it. You've done it since and get up in arms when I bring it up but it is what it is. The truth no matter how repugnant is still the truth.

ChumpDumper
02-09-2016, 11:19 PM
How about Coach Bud for Becky Hammond? Can we finally admit the female coach experiment is a fail?How have you determined it is a fail?

DPG21920
02-09-2016, 11:22 PM
:lol You said you don't remember. Now when remembering is important you go with this. What a little sophist turd you are.

I remember well and I've been making fun of you about it for the last several years. You really lack originality and regurgitate hype and marketing. Grit and grind was just when I first noticed it. You've done it since and get up in arms when I bring it up but it is what it is. The truth no matter how repugnant is still the truth.

Huh?

FuzzyLumpkins
02-09-2016, 11:37 PM
Huh?

Yup you kept on saying that they were resilient and would come back to win games so we would have to grind it out. That is when I said you were parroting their marketing slogan as analysis.

In game 2 they made a comeback and you acted like you had accomplished something. I just pointed to the scoreboard.

It's been entertaining watching you fumble around since. Good job.

DPG21920
02-09-2016, 11:38 PM
Yup you kept on saying that they were resilient and would come back to win games so we would have to grind it out. That is when I said you were parroting their marketing slogan as analysis.

In game 2 they made a comeback and you acted like you had accomplished something. I just pointed to the scoreboard.

It's been entertaining watching you fumble around since. Good job.

What?

T Park
02-09-2016, 11:41 PM
No clue what Fuzzy is babbling about but I'd be 100% for Kyle Korver. He would solve every bench problem.

That said no way they can match salary to get him so, pie in the sky at best.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-09-2016, 11:45 PM
They have been re-hashed frequently, by multiple people. My reference was to Spur fans essentially saying Spurs will sweep Golden State, it's so easy! All you have to do is is "x" and it's game over! Things like that. I picked SA to win the series and listed numerous times why. But when people see a game like this, they get over confident and over simplify things as if it is easy to replicate and win by 20 every game.

The concerns I have in order is: Duncan's health, the amount of 3's taken & rebounding. Rebounding was not an issue today, Duncan's health is still iffy to me and even though they were good looks, taking 30 3's is a lot.

I agree and have said the same things. That doesn't mean that the Spurs will sweep MEM (which after games like this, people seem to think Spurs should win every game by 20 seemingly).

Still don't think MEM is resilient?

I agree with the logic of some of the posts, but I do feel Spur fans are once again over simplifying things. Memphis is a damn good team and there are still a lot of Spurs question marks. Luckily, the Spurs defense is the least of those question marks and with an offensively limited team like MEM, that might be enough to get them through the series. We'll see.

But MEM has easily been one of the most resilient teams in the league, especially in the playoff this year.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-09-2016, 11:46 PM
I liked the part about too many 3's. Such insight!

DPG21920
02-09-2016, 11:49 PM
I don't see anything to make fun of in there. Thanks for searching though - didn't remember the convo at all.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-09-2016, 11:51 PM
They would need to also include Mills and Williams to match salaries. If the Spurs are using cap space to sign Aldridge (which is the case in this scenario), then they need assets from Cleveland for Splitter, since SA gains nothing by agreeing to a sign-and-trade on it's own. Portland also gains nothing by doing this trade, so I doubt they go for it. The Cavs would have to pay both to make it happen, and of course they wouldn't, because they have the Haywood contract.

I'd consider this more viable.

Spurs trade Diaw and Mills to Cleveland for Christmas and Harris and two seconds to Portland for Aldridge.

Cleveland trades Christmas, Harris and Haywood for Mills and Diaw

Portland trades Aldridge ($17.5 Million) for Haywood, Reggie Williams, Harris and two seconds.

HarlemHeat37
02-09-2016, 11:52 PM
I don't see anything to make fun of in there. Thanks for searching though - didn't remember the convo at all.

:lmao..

apalisoc_9
02-09-2016, 11:54 PM
Wow...:lol

TheDoctor

You from Turkey too?

FuzzyLumpkins

Of course not because the joke is on you. How you like to come into every argument I'm in and try to prove me wrong after shows your intellectual insecurity. It makes sense you wouldn't see it. Quite the opposite is much more likely given that.

:lol I still don't think they're resilient, grit and grind.

DPG21920
02-09-2016, 11:57 PM
Of course not because the joke is on you. How you like to come into every argument I'm in and try to prove me wrong after shows your intellectual insecurity. It makes sense you wouldn't see it. Quite the opposite is much more likely given that.

:lol I still don't think they're resilient, grit and grind.

I only engage you on a few things when it's a relevant topic. Other than that, we don't really interact too much. MEM, even with their flaws, is a tough and resilient team. Don't see how that's some win for you, but ok.

T Park
02-09-2016, 11:58 PM
I didn't see what was bad about what DPG said either but, go ahead an keep lighting those torches.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-09-2016, 11:59 PM
I only engage you on a few things when it's a relevant topic. Other than that, we don't really interact too much. MEM, even with their flaws, is a tough and resilient team. Don't see how that's some win for you, but ok.

You only address me now when you think you can win a point. Your not the bravest intellect I've ever run into.

The win was you saying we were stupid for saying that we would sweep and then the Spurs swept. You coming back to try and crow after they had that comeback but still lost is just gold. You don't remember which demonstrates how your memory is poor. Good job.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-10-2016, 12:02 AM
I didn't see what was bad about what DPG said either but, go ahead an keep lighting those torches.

It's not so much about 'bad' but they are in a pissing contest with me and trying to claim that I have no credibility and am just making up the exchange. He was wrong but youre right it shouldn't be a big deal.

DPG21920
02-10-2016, 12:18 AM
:lol I didn't even remember our conversation and you invent these me vs them gladiator matches in your head. Chill.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-10-2016, 12:29 AM
:lol I didn't even remember our conversation and you invent these me vs them gladiator matches in your head. Chill.

Gladiator match? That was just an example of a similar exchange we had. When I pointed it out after you said I had no credibility you said you couldn't remember. Your memory isn't very good is the main take I get out of it.

You sure seem determined to say you don't care though. Actions still speak louder than words.

DPG21920
02-10-2016, 12:31 AM
Huh

FuzzyLumpkins
02-10-2016, 12:35 AM
What?

That's not really what he said at all last year w/ regards to LMA. He simply outlined what certain people were proposing would not work (keep everyone). Certain things (like the Tiago trade) changed the known variables.

They would need to also include Mills and Williams to match salaries. If the Spurs are using cap space to sign Aldridge (which is the case in this scenario), then they need assets from Cleveland for Splitter, since SA gains nothing by agreeing to a sign-and-trade on it's own. Portland also gains nothing by doing this trade, so I doubt they go for it. The Cavs would have to pay both to make it happen, and of course they wouldn't, because they have the Haywood contract.

I'd consider this more viable.

Spurs trade Diaw and Mills to Cleveland for Christmas and Harris and two seconds to Portland for Aldridge.

Cleveland trades Christmas, Harris and Haywood for Mills and Diaw

Portland trades Aldridge ($17.5 Million) for Haywood, Reggie Williams, Harris and two seconds.

Stupid is as stupid does. Your memory retention is shit.

DPG21920
02-10-2016, 12:41 AM
What

Kawhitstorm
02-10-2016, 01:29 AM

Calathes went back to Greece & the Heat need Beno since Tyler Johnson is out for the season. Prigioni was unplayable against the Warriors in last seasons playoffs so he's irrelevant. Again, what the Spurs need is a guard with size (in the CoJo mold) not another midget who gets destroyed on defense.:lol

cjw
02-10-2016, 01:35 AM
Is Korver playable against GS? Should be against OKC or Cleveland.

Kawhitstorm
02-10-2016, 01:36 AM

Why in the hell would the Hawks agree to essentially swap Horford for Simmons when they could get a couple of 1st rd picks & D-Lee from the Celtics?:lol

Diaw has no business on a rebuilding team & they can sign Canaan if they want an undersized gunner.:lol

Kawhitstorm
02-10-2016, 01:45 AM
Is Korver playable against GS? Should be against OKC or Cleveland.

He's actually a decent system defender & won't get murdered by Barnes/Iggy plus has the length to defend Livingston in the post. He's actually a better off ball defender than Simmons.:lol

He played well against them last season when the Hawks beat the Worriers: http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201502060ATL.html

Kawhitstorm
02-10-2016, 06:47 AM
I'm not a fan of any Hawks players, tbh..I'd take Bazemore as a backup wing, but he's probably too good to play that role(although not good enough to be a reliable starter)..

Horford and Millsap are unreliable and awkward for playoff basketball, and Korver is just too old, at this point..

-Bazemore is going to want as much playing time as possible b/c he want to get paid in the Summer so he won't be happy being a backup
-Millsap can't be the #1 option, he's more suited to play the Draymond/Bosh 3rd wheel type role on a contender (i.e. Cavs/OKC)
-Horford would be a major upgrade for the Raptors frontline who could challenge the Cavs if they could land him somehow for Jonas

sasaint
02-10-2016, 10:21 AM
Why in the hell would the Hawks agree to essentially swap Horford for Simmons when they could get a couple of 1st rd picks & D-Lee from the Celtics?:lol

Diaw has no business on a rebuilding team & they can sign Canaan if they want an undersized gunner.:lol

Actually, if you re-read his proposal, the Chinook trade sends the Hawks 3 1st round picks. That is the real incentive in his scenario. But I think that is a pretty steep price. I don't want to follow the Nets down that road. :wow

Diaw might be good on some rebuilding teams for his veteran leadership (assuming he didn't go into his Charlotte mode). However, on the Hawks, he and Millsap together would be a mess, IMHO. But if any team placed much value on Diaw besides the Spurs, it would probably be Atlanta.

I would personally rather have Korver, however, than MCW. I am okay without either one, though.

The Horford situation is just cursed by poor timing. He might fill a huge hole next season, but this season our needs are greater elsewhere.

San Antonio Slayer
02-10-2016, 11:21 AM
sounds blasphemous and unreal but I'd rather have Teague over Tony

Russ
02-10-2016, 11:36 AM
Actually, if you re-read his proposal, the Chinook trade sends the Hawks 3 1st round picks.

Is that even allowed by the league?

sasaint
02-10-2016, 11:38 AM

Great point. Since you point that out, I don't think so, but I defer to the capologists/rules guys among us.

Mel_13
02-10-2016, 11:41 AM

Short answer-yes.

For a longer answer, just Google 'Stepien rule'.

benefactor
02-10-2016, 11:52 AM
:lol this thread

Chinook
02-10-2016, 12:02 PM

Great point. Since you point that out, I don't think so, but I defer to the capologists/rules guys among us.

Mel's got your backs. Spurs could trade four picks straight up if they wanted. They could trade more if they had any extra firsts right now.

cjw
02-10-2016, 12:36 PM
He's actually a decent system defender & won't get murdered by Barnes/Iggy plus has the length to defend Livingston in the post. He's actually a better off ball defender than Simmons.:lol

He played well against them last season when the Hawks beat the Worriers: http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201502060ATL.html

If only Simmons could learn to get through picks and stop fouling...

sasaint
02-10-2016, 01:51 PM
Mel's got your backs. Spurs could trade four picks straight up if they wanted. They could trade more if they had any extra firsts right now.

I beg your indulgence. I thought the rule was implemented to prohibit a team's trading even 2 consecutive #1s... So are you suggesting in your proposal that the Spurs trade 3 non-consecutive #1s?

Chinook
02-10-2016, 01:52 PM
I beg your indulgence. I thought the rule was implemented to prohibit a team's trading even 2 consecutive #1s... So are you suggesting in your proposal that the Spurs trade 3 non-consecutive #1s?

Yes: 2016, 2018 and 2020.

sasaint
02-10-2016, 02:00 PM
Yes: 2016, 2018 and 2020.

Still seems pretty steep. I would authorize you to offer them 2016 and 2018. Get back with me if they don't bite, and we might throw in a second. :hat

DenialTwist
02-10-2016, 02:03 PM
sounds blasphemous and unreal but I'd rather have Teague over Tony

I was about to say the same thing. I like Teague also. Teague is younger, has more upside, and is already a better defender. But it looks like he is either headed to the Pacers or Heat.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-10-2016, 02:16 PM
The Spurs firsts are typcially glorified 2nd rounder that you have to give guaranteed deals to. They aren't going to get much of a return.

Chinook
02-10-2016, 02:47 PM
Still seems pretty steep. I would authorize you to offer them 2016 and 2018. Get back with me if they don't bite, and we might throw in a second. :hat

The issue is that 2020 is the most valuable pick, and I doubt the other two would be enough to get anything great. But at the same time, the Hawks aren't trading for picks that far out without having a closer one. So maybe 2016 and 2020?

sasaint
02-10-2016, 03:15 PM
The issue is that 2020 is the most valuable pick, and I doubt the other two would be enough to get anything great. But at the same time, the Hawks aren't trading for picks that far out without having a closer one. So maybe 2016 and 2020?

Make it happen, Number One! I bet we could re-sign Horford if he were already here. Wow Tim, LMA, Horford and West as a core for the remainder of the season and then LMA, Horford, West as a core next year. I'm betting that might have some appeal to Horford. (I don't usually do the fantasy league thing, but that one hooked me, tbh. :lol)

Sean Cagney
02-10-2016, 06:56 PM

True, it's pretty unrealistic and funny.
:lol this threadIt will probably go 50 pages or so too.

To answer the thread though realistically nothing for nothing because that is what will happen if they have a fire sale.