PDA

View Full Version : Will Kyle ever be better than peak Luke Walton?

Kawhitstorm
02-09-2016, 07:17 PM
They are both 6'8" slow/unathletic/high IQ point forwards who were excellent college players but can only succeed playing in a specific system at the pro level.

Walton in 2006-07 averaged 12/5/5/1 (per 36) while starting at SF for a playoff team.
-TS: 55.5%, FG: 47%. 3P: 38% (48-124), FT: 75%
-PER: 14.7

In the playoffs, he basically matched Boris while playing the same amount of minutes.

Kyle has length on Walton which helps him on defense but he doesn't have the girth to be effective in the post on both ends. So I suggest Kyle spend his summer lifting weights & eating at Whataburger then downing it w/ protein shakes b/c his shot is broken.

wildbill2u
02-09-2016, 09:19 PM
since Luke Walton is one of the most forgettable players ever, Anderson had better be better. You must be related to Walton by six degrees of separation to even propose this question.

dabom
02-09-2016, 09:20 PM
Can he even get minutes tonight is the better question. :lmao

Mel_13
02-09-2016, 09:25 PM
Peak Walton was 26 years old, in his 4th NBA season after 4 years of college, and was a starter on a .500 team. Anderson has plenty of time to exceed that standard.

That being said, Walton played 11 seasons in the league. That's a pretty fair accomplishment all by itself.

SpursFan86
02-09-2016, 09:25 PM
Can he even get minutes tonight is the better question. :lmao

That's not a very good question considering he's out tonight due to illness.

dabom
02-09-2016, 09:28 PM
That's not a very good question considering he's out tonight due to illness.

That makes it even better tbh...

baseline bum
02-09-2016, 09:31 PM
That being said, Walton played 11 seasons in the league. That's a pretty fair accomplishment all by itself.

God damn that makes me feel old as fuck since I remember watching a ton of his games at Arizona. :lmao

SPURt
02-09-2016, 09:41 PM
since Luke Walton is one of the most forgettable players ever, Anderson had better be better. You must be related to Walton by six degrees of separation to even propose this question.
Haha! There must be tons of players with those "peak" stats.

SAGirl
02-09-2016, 11:00 PM
Never saw Walton, so I don't know. But just in his second season I would argue if Kyle played more he could come close to those stats since playing in a stacked team, very irregular minutes he has produced games close to that already Considering that and that he really would be a senior in college. I'd expect him to be better. Yo still want to trade him fir every other guard and I doubt he will get traded.at least nit this season anyways.

SAGirl
02-09-2016, 11:02 PM
Haha! There must be tons of players with those "peak" stats.
Points and rebound are not exceptional but it's nit common fir a SF to average 5 assists.... but I am guessing. I never saw Walton play.

apalisoc_9
02-09-2016, 11:12 PM
Walton never really had the scoring talent of Anderson.

SPURt
02-09-2016, 11:49 PM
Points and rebound are not exceptional but it's nit common fir a SF to average 5 assists.... but I am guessing. I never saw Walton play.
I think there has been about 94 seasons in NBA history that have those type of stats. Some of those seasons were by the same player. The low amount of points makes it hard to find similar players. There have been a lot of All Star level players to have accomplished a 5 and 5. Here is a list of from Basketball Reference:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=per_game&per_minute_base=36&per_poss_base=100&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&shoot_hand=&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&birth_state=&college_id=&draft_year=&is_active=&debut_yr_nba_start=&debut_yr_nba_end=&debut_yr_aba_start=&debut_yr_aba_end=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=&award=&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=&c1stat=ast_per_g&c1comp=gt&c1val=4.3&c2stat=trb_per_g&c2comp=gt&c2val=5&c3stat=pts_per_g&c3comp=lt&c3val=14&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=pts_per_g

TheGreatYacht
02-10-2016, 12:53 AM
No he is terrible.

KenziE
02-10-2016, 01:34 AM

Damn how old are you ? Married already but was not able to watch Luke Walton play ever ? Just asking nothing personal hehe

And yeah Fuck Walton he aint got nothin on Kyle Anderson tbh

cjw
02-10-2016, 01:37 AM
As long as he doesn't get a lame tattoo like Walton's, I'm fine.

SAGirl
02-10-2016, 01:38 AM
I think there has been about 94 seasons in NBA history that have those type of stats. Some of those seasons were by the same player. The low amount of points makes it hard to find similar players. There have been a lot of All Star level players to have accomplished a 5 and 5. Here is a list of from Basketball Reference:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=per_game&per_minute_base=36&per_poss_base=100&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&shoot_hand=&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&birth_state=&college_id=&draft_year=&is_active=&debut_yr_nba_start=&debut_yr_nba_end=&debut_yr_aba_start=&debut_yr_aba_end=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=&award=&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=&c1stat=ast_per_g&c1comp=gt&c1val=4.3&c2stat=trb_per_g&c2comp=gt&c2val=5&c3stat=pts_per_g&c3comp=lt&c3val=14&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=pts_per_g
Thanks for sharing that. I do think right now, in a lotto team Kyle could be close to averaging that if he was playing 30 mins nightly. But I don't know, guys in the Spurs play a role and have to pay their dues and earn their stripes or what not. I remember Manu saying multiple times about two years ago that Kawhi in another team would be averaging more shots and PPG already, but he plays in a system had a role and they didn't ask him to be that guy. Almost sounded like Manu admitted Kawhi was held back bc of his role and what not. Took 4 years for Kawhi to be put in a spot he would have been put on in a lotto team from his second season at least and boy were people critical of him bc of that.

So it's hard to say in another team, right now, at this age, development stage that he could not already be putting up those numbers, specially if you let him get the ball more and let him be more bold making choices, but obviously the growing pains would be tougher, possibly more TO, and inefficient games. As it is in the Spurs it's hard to say. They can afford to let him take his time, but also at the same time Spurs will restrict his role until they think he's ready or maybe until they just flat out need him and they haven't bc we have so much depth at the 4 and Kawhi is a star at the 3.

SAGirl
02-10-2016, 01:45 AM
Damn how old are you ? Married already but was not able to watch Luke Walton play ever ? Just asking nothing personal hehe

And yeah Fuck Walton he aint got nothin on Kyle Anderson tbh
Not that young to nit be of legal age to be married, but I really didn't start following basketball and the Spurs until their renaissance in 2012-13 and on...so a rather young bball fan in bball years.:toast

KenziE
02-10-2016, 01:48 AM
Not that young to nit be of legal age to be married, but I really didn't start following basketball and the Spurs until their renaissance in 2012-13 and on...so a rather young bball fan in bball years.:toast

awesome just in time to watch the last few years of the legend of Timmy D and Manu as well

dabom
02-10-2016, 01:59 AM

:lol

I think we all knew this though...

phxspurfan
02-10-2016, 02:46 AM
KA was a great college player?

Kawhitstorm
02-10-2016, 03:37 AM
KA was a great college player?

He was an All-American just as a sophomore

G-Dawgg
02-10-2016, 04:00 AM
Kyle Anderson is going to be a good player. For him to be contributing as much as he is in his 2nd season with the Spurs is great. Generally a new young player that is drafted from college is going to be who he is in the league by their 4th year. Kyle is pretty good now, but still has a lot of time to improve.

G-Dawgg
02-10-2016, 04:09 AM
Kyle Anderson is going to be a good player. For him to be contributing as much as he is in his 2nd season with the Spurs is great. Generally a new young player that is drafted from college is going to be who he is in the league by their 4th year. Kyle is pretty good now, but still has a lot of time to improve.

apalisoc_9
02-10-2016, 04:40 AM

Wtf? How old are you?

SPURt
02-10-2016, 09:42 AM
Thanks for sharing that. I do think right now, in a lotto team Kyle could be close to averaging that if he was playing 30 mins nightly. But I don't know, guys in the Spurs play a role and have to pay their dues and earn their stripes or what not. I remember Manu saying multiple times about two years ago that Kawhi in another team would be averaging more shots and PPG already, but he plays in a system had a role and they didn't ask him to be that guy. Almost sounded like Manu admitted Kawhi was held back bc of his role and what not. Took 4 years for Kawhi to be put in a spot he would have been put on in a lotto team from his second season at least and boy were people critical of him bc of that.

So it's hard to say in another team, right now, at this age, development stage that he could not already be putting up those numbers, specially if you let him get the ball more and let him be more bold making choices, but obviously the growing pains would be tougher, possibly more TO, and inefficient games. As it is in the Spurs it's hard to say. They can afford to let him take his time, but also at the same time Spurs will restrict his role until they think he's ready or maybe until they just flat out need him and they haven't bc we have so much depth at the 4 and Kawhi is a star at the 3.

I actually think Kyle can be something better than Walton. It almost seems silly to have him aim for below average. If Kyle was on lottery team I think he'd hit a lower ceiling faster. Since Pop believes in him and if he works hard, I think he will ultimately have a higher ceiling but will take longer to get there. If that makes any sense at all.

diego
02-10-2016, 11:21 AM
Took 4 years for Kawhi to be put in a spot he would have been put on in a lotto team from his second season at least and boy were people critical of him bc of that.

Of course development or a rookie depends on the team they start with, but it sounds like you are only looking at the negatives. Especially in a case like kawhi, a soft spoken, raw player couldn't have landed in a better environment than the spurs. He damn sure wouldn't have a fmvp and dpoy playing on a lotto team.

EVAY
02-10-2016, 11:48 AM
I'm not aware that Luke Walton ever had a peak.

r0drig0lac
02-10-2016, 02:34 PM
I'm not aware that Luke Walton ever had a peak.

steeledl
02-10-2016, 02:38 PM
I think he will be as long as he Spurs don't trade him. They have similarities but Spurs develop talent better.