PDA

View Full Version : Manning's Super Bowl 50 legacy question

johnsmith
02-09-2016, 08:59 PM
When John Elway (our lord and savior) won his first super bowl against the Packers, his numbers for that game were 12/22 with 123 yards, zero TD's and a one pick. Yet no one mentions that when they discuss Elway and his career. Often times they bring up that he was blown the fuck out in three previous trips, but very rarely discussed is his irrelevance in that game (except for the helicopter play). When you watch NFL films stuff about it you'd think he was co-mvp with TD due to the lack of attention brought to the stats.

So now that Manning has won his second super bowl and put up almost identical numbers as Elway did in the big game, do you think 15 years down the road that anyone will mention that he was basically worthless in this particular game as well as the season? Or is it just going to be "Manning was vindicated and his legend solidified"?

I know right now it's very popular to point out that they won in spite of him rather than because of him.
I'm very interested to see how this plays out.

Also, Avante, please don't respond to this thread. Thanks pal!

Avante
02-09-2016, 09:18 PM
When John Elway (our lord and savior) won his first super bowl against the Packers, his numbers for that game were 12/22 with 123 yards, zero TD's and a one pick. Yet no one mentions that when they discuss Elway and his career. Often times they bring up that he was blown the fuck out in three previous trips, but very rarely discussed is his irrelevance in that game (except for the helicopter play). When you watch NFL films stuff about it you'd think he was co-mvp with TD due to the lack of attention brought to the stats.

So now that Manning has won his second super bowl and put up almost identical numbers as Elway did in the big game, do you think 15 years down the road that anyone will mention that he was basically worthless in this particular game as well as the season? Or is it just going to be "Manning was vindicated and his legend solidified"?

I know right now it's very popular to point out that they won in spite of him rather than because of him.

Sorry pal, but you never stay out of mine.

This SB had nothing to do with Mannings legacy anymore than never winning one has ever effected Dan Marino. Everyone gets the fact Manning is now a physical wreck, but he STILL can manage a game.

Peyton Manning is in any ..best ever...discussion and this SB a total non factor.

johnsmith
02-09-2016, 09:20 PM
Sorry pal, but you never stay out of mine.

This SB had nothing to do with Mannings legacy anymore than never winning one has ever effected Dan Marino. Everyone gets the fact Manning is now a physical wreck, but he STILL can manage a game.

Peyton Manning is in any ..best ever...discussion and this SB a total non factor.

That's super Avante. But honestly you didn't even come close to answering the question. How will people remember Manning in this super bowl?

I know you don't have the ability to actually answer a question that was asked on this forum, so I don't expect you to start doing it now. Go ahead and go back to eating paint chips and staring at shiny objects in your living room.

Avante
02-09-2016, 09:36 PM
That's super Avante. But honestly you didn't even come close to answering the question. How will people remember Manning in this super bowl?

I know you don't have the ability to actually answer a question that was asked on this forum, so I don't expect you to start doing it now. Go ahead and go back to eating paint chips and staring at shiny objects in your living room.

My point was nobody will care about this SB, go ahead talk to me about any SB that Joe Montana was ever in or Tom Brady? Nobody really cares, all that matters is did they win or lose. UNLESS....they had that last minute Montana to Taylor pass or that Russell Wilson INT. Since none of that happened in this SB it will get lost in behind all the great things Manning did in his career.

Good to see you trying to do something/anything besides....that Avante boohoo boohoo.

Thebesteva
02-09-2016, 09:53 PM

As time goes on...if he retires now it will elevate his legacy 10 fold. I'll always remember him as a class act and a God in the regular season but a mental midget in the post season and lucky to have won his second. He's a legend though and the only QB to win 2 superbowls with 2 different teams...granted his defense won that game for him.

johnsmith
02-09-2016, 11:15 PM
As time goes on...if he retires now it will elevate his legacy 10 fold. I'll always remember him as a class act and a God in the regular season but a mental midget in the post season and lucky to have won his second. He's a legend though and the only QB to win 2 superbowls with 2 different teams...granted his defense won that game for him.

But this particular game....will anyone mention that he didn't contribute? No one mentions it about Elway but I feel like the general public is far harder on PM.

Avante
02-09-2016, 11:26 PM
But this particular game....will anyone mention that he didn't contribute? No one mentions it about Elway but I feel like the general public is far harder on PM.

Dude, nodody gives a shit about this particular game, ok? OBVIOUSLY....at this stage of the career it was....just don't fuck it up, ok, let the defense win it.....and we all get that, what you don't?

MultiTroll
02-09-2016, 11:42 PM
I'll try to post before your stalker strikes again.
Many Denver players credit Elways helicopter play as inspiring them to play to greater heights/effort.
So to say he did not impact the game due to his stats is not accurate.
I cannot recall if/how many dropped passes there were in the Elway bowl but I always consider that since uber lame NFL will not come up with a stat that qualifies.

As to Fivehead, he really did suck. Took points off the board twice. Once for sure with the dumb INT in very makeable range. The other, Denver made it to the 37 with 1st and 10. He lets himself get sacked for a 5 yard loss then gets stripped on a pass attempt he had no business making, turning the ball over to the Cats.

Fortunately for Fivehead the Cats sucking knew no bounds this Bowl.

So in answer, ya it's stupid how the media gloms on to wins in sucky performances yet crucifies in great play in losses. Elway carried those prior Denver teams on his shoulders. So did Fivehead on some of those Colt teams and throw out the losses vs Camera Cheatriots.

Avante
02-09-2016, 11:48 PM
Many Denver players credit Elways helicopter play as inspiring them to play to greater heights/effort.
I cannot recall if/how many dropped passes there were in the Elway bowl but I always consider that since uber lame NFL will not come up with a stat that qualifies.

As to Fivehead, he really did suck. Took points off the board twice. Once for sure with the dumb INT in very makeable range. The other, Denver made it to the 37 with 1st and 10. He lets himself get sacked for a 5 yard loss then gets stripped on a pass attempt he had no business making, turning the ball over to the Cats.

So in answer, ya it's stupid how the media gloms on to wins in sucky performances yet crucifies in great play in losses. Elway carried those prior Denver teams on his shoulders. So did Fivehead on some of those Colt teams and throw out the losses vs Camera Cheatriots.

Dude, don't play that bullshit, ok? This guy stalks me, as you know.

This game was all about not turning it over and that was obvious. Get Manning his win and don't let him lose it.

MultiTroll
02-10-2016, 12:55 AM
Dude, don't play that bullshit, ok? This guy stalks me, as you know.

This game was all about not turning it over and that was obvious. Get Manning his win and don't let him lose it.
1. Yes I can see that from this thread.
2. Manning did turn it over. Twice. Once in sure scoring territory and another with a 1st and 10 at the 38.

HarlemHeat37
02-10-2016, 01:03 AM
He was the worst QB on a SB team in NFL history, but most people won't remember, tbh..they'll just use his ring count in arguments..

That's just how sports work..

Clipper Nation
02-10-2016, 01:07 AM
The media and casual fans have given Fivehead pass after pass for his garbage postseason performances with stacked teams his entire career, why would this year be any different?

Boston Pancake
02-10-2016, 07:55 AM
Elway had the iconic helicopter run in that game, which helps erase his actual performance. I honestly had no idea Elway played so poorly until they compared his numbers to Peyton's.

JoeTait75
02-10-2016, 08:14 AM
He was the worst QB on a SB team in NFL history, but most people won't remember, tbh..they'll just use his ring count in arguments..

Worse than Roethlisberger in the Steelers-Seahawks Super Bowl?

johnsmith
02-10-2016, 08:57 AM

Avante can't get enough of me....gets old really.

That's a good point about the helicopter, because that's all I remembered about Elways performance from that game prior to going back and looking up the stats the other day.

johnsmith
02-10-2016, 08:57 AM
Worse than Roethlisberger in the Steelers-Seahawks Super Bowl?

Statistically he was.

johnsmith
02-10-2016, 08:58 AM
The media and casual fans have given Fivehead pass after pass for his garbage postseason performances with stacked teams his entire career, why would this year be any different?

Elway had the iconic helicopter run in that game, which helps erase his actual performance. I honestly had no idea Elway played so poorly until they compared his numbers to Peyton's.

Agree with both of these points.

johnsmith
02-10-2016, 09:02 AM

HH, you and I both post on the Broncos forum as well, I know you've been a fan of the Broncos for a while. I was a fan from 1986 when I was 7 years old and I really started Being a super fan in 1988 when I moved to Colorado.

So let me ask you this, how do you feel about Manning in terms of his legacy with the Broncos. To me, it was awesome while he was here because we were instantly a force again. The 2014 regular season was the most fun I'd had since TD's 2,000 yard MVP season of 98-99. However, easy come easy go IMO....he will never be truly a Bronco to me because Elway set the template of what it means to be the qb of the Broncos.

Also, off subject, but how big is the '83 draft and Elway not wanting to play in Baltimore now? Fuck, it's still winning us Super Bowls!

johnsmith
02-10-2016, 09:03 AM
Dude, nodody gives a shit about this particular game, ok? OBVIOUSLY....at this stage of the career it was....just don't fuck it up, ok, let the defense win it.....and we all get that, what you don't?

This is an excellent example of why no one likes you. You're a fucking asshole in the way you respond.

I wish you'd just die already.

Avante
02-10-2016, 11:32 AM
Avante can't get enough of me....gets old really.

That's a good point about the helicopter, because that's all I remembered about Elways performance from that game prior to going back and looking up the stats the other day.

Starting right now Avante won't be talking to you unless you come to him, ok?

Blake
02-10-2016, 11:45 AM

That

Blake
02-10-2016, 11:45 AM
Starting right now Avante won't be talking to you unless you come to him, ok?

Lol third person

Alfred Borden
02-10-2016, 02:42 PM
Manning rangPERIOD

Pelicans78
02-10-2016, 06:08 PM
This is an excellent example of why no one likes you. You're a fucking asshole in the way you respond.

I wish you'd just die already.

I fucking agree. His fatass should be carved up with all the blubber leaking out.

Avante
02-10-2016, 09:44 PM
I fucking agree. His fatass should be carved up with all the blubber leaking out.

Dude, started lifting at 15 for HS football, and other than boot camp (pushups. pullups) have never stopped. 6-2 276 pounds of twisted railroad steel, on a whole other level than you and these little freak johnsmith.....trust me. The look on your face would be priceless.

Avante
02-10-2016, 11:32 PM
Getting back to this game.

For a 39 year old guy to even be out there is a amazing to begin with. Nobody expected anymore than we saw.

Peyton Manning is one of the top 3 QB's ever, with this SB performance meaning....0.

HarlemHeat37
02-10-2016, 11:37 PM
HH, you and I both post on the Broncos forum as well, I know you've been a fan of the Broncos for a while. I was a fan from 1986 when I was 7 years old and I really started Being a super fan in 1988 when I moved to Colorado.

So let me ask you this, how do you feel about Manning in terms of his legacy with the Broncos. To me, it was awesome while he was here because we were instantly a force again. The 2014 regular season was the most fun I'd had since TD's 2,000 yard MVP season of 98-99. However, easy come easy go IMO....he will never be truly a Bronco to me because Elway set the template of what it means to be the qb of the Broncos.

Also, off subject, but how big is the '83 draft and Elway not wanting to play in Baltimore now? Fuck, it's still winning us Super Bowls!

I absolutely hated Manning before he joined Denver, mostly because of how he routinely destroyed the Broncos every time they played against him..I don't really have a sports attachment to him, though, even after the success, since most of his time in Denver was false hope that he created out of his own regular season dominance + the only SB came with Manning playing a very minor role:lol..to be fair, Elway probably wouldn't have been able to acquire the same FAs in without the Manning attraction..

The regular season success made me neutral towards him, though..definitely don't hate him, at all, anymore, but ya, he wouldn't make my top 10 favorite Broncos list..it's easier to cheer for a team like this year's defense-led Broncos, since they were constantly doubted by everybody..the other Broncos teams were fun to cheer for, but it's different when you're the favorites and disappoint like they did in 2012, 2013(the SB massacre negated the AFC run) and 2014..

Also, being active on forums and social media gives you a different perspective, to be fair..Manning fans are just as bad as Kobe fans, extremely irritating on the Broncos forum..I thought Tebow fans were bad, but Manning fans are on a different level..

DAF86
02-11-2016, 12:41 AM
Winning two cheat free championships with two different franchises is a very strong legacy, tbh.

Clipper Nation
02-11-2016, 12:44 AM
Winning two cheat free championships with two different franchises is a very strong legacy, tbh.
Fivehead's been pumped full of HGH his entire career.

:lol "Cheat-free"

DAF86
02-11-2016, 12:45 AM
And what HH said above. Broncos probably wouldn't have been able to build the roster they built without Manning turning them into contenders a few years ago. So, even though he didn't do much this season, he still deserves the recognition.

DAF86
02-11-2016, 12:49 AM
Fivehead's been pumped full of HGH his entire career.

:lol "Cheat-free"

Moot point since every professional sportman in the World does HGH. Not really an advantage over opponents, tbh.

Boston Pancake
02-11-2016, 01:15 AM
Moot point since every professional sportman in the World does HGH. Not really an advantage over opponents, tbh.

Funny how the "everybody else does it too" argument doesn't fly when Brady is involved.

DAF86
02-11-2016, 10:40 AM
Funny how the "everybody else does it too" argument doesn't fly when Brady is involved.

Everybody doesn't go around spying on other teams or deflating balls to get an unfair advatange, tbh.

Clipper Nation
02-11-2016, 12:24 PM
Everybody doesn't go around spying on other teams or deflating balls to get an unfair advatange, tbh.
Everybody doesn't get caught pumping themselves full of HGH, either.

Avante
02-11-2016, 01:30 PM
Peyton Manning has won two SB's. That is more than...

Drew Brees
John Unitas
Dan Marino
Dan Fouts
Philip Rivers
Jim Kelly
Fran Tarkenton
Warren Moon
Boomer Esaison
Andrew Luck
Cam Newton
Sonny Jurgenson
Matt Ryan

....combined~~~~~~~~

He has won more SB's than...

Joe Namath
Len Dawson
Russell Wilson
Steve Young

Avante
02-11-2016, 02:42 PM
Terry Bradshaw won FOUR SB's, he is in the HALL OF FAME.

In his first 5 seasons he was terrible, TERRIBLE~~~~~~~~~ 41 tds and 73 INTS.....73!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! His comp % was TERRIBLE, 38.1, 54.4, 47.7, 49.4, 45.3....huh~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 38.1....what?????????

How can anyone criticize Peyton Manning?

DAF86
02-11-2016, 03:25 PM

When did Manning got caught doing that, tbh?

johnsmith
02-11-2016, 03:40 PM

Once he's off the team I'm done being a Manning fan.....but I too am curious as to the answer of this question. :toast

Boston Pancake
02-11-2016, 07:35 PM

When did Brady get caught deflating footballs?

DAF86
02-11-2016, 11:22 PM
When did Brady get caught deflating footballs?

In the 2014/2015 season.

DAF86
02-11-2016, 11:23 PM
I would like an answer to my question now.

Spurtacular
02-12-2016, 08:37 AM

It'll just be people playing numbers games. For instance, they'll say that Peyton was better than Favre, even though politics gave him his 4th MVP over the more deserving Favre in 09 and even though some nonsense politics to by the NFL to get the Saints to the SB in the name of Katrina for their feel good story basically robbed Favre of a second ring. Were that season not so, they'd both have settled on 4 MVPs and 2 rings. Instead, you have 5 and 2 to 3 and 1. The bean counters are all over the place in sports.

Boston Pancake
02-12-2016, 10:00 AM
In the 2014/2015 season.

No he didn't

Clipper Nation
02-12-2016, 11:26 AM
Al-Jazeera caught him roiding up this year, tbh. His response was to hire a private investigator to stalk the guy who blew the whistle, which screams "guilty."

DAF86
02-12-2016, 11:42 AM
No he didn't

Yes, he did and you know it. But let's say he didn't, he cheated (or at the very least, was the beneficiary of a cheat) in the whole spygate thing. Or are you going to deny that shit too?

Boston Pancake
02-12-2016, 08:26 PM
Yes, he did and you know it. But let's say he didn't, he cheated (or at the very least, was the beneficiary of a cheat) in the whole spygate thing. Or are you going to deny that shit too?

A federal judge said he didn't.

UNT Eagles 2016
02-12-2016, 10:19 PM
Peyton won on top. The end

pgardn
02-12-2016, 10:21 PM
Terry Bradshaw won FOUR SB's, he is in the HALL OF FAME.

In his first 5 seasons he was terrible, TERRIBLE~~~~~~~~~ 41 tds and 73 INTS.....73!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! His comp % was TERRIBLE, 38.1, 54.4, 47.7, 49.4, 45.3....huh~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 38.1....what?????????

How can anyone criticize Peyton Manning?

How did Bradshaw play in those SB's?

spurraider21
02-13-2016, 03:57 PM
neither did manning

Spurtacular
02-13-2016, 04:16 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-peyton-manning-squeaky-clean-image-built-lies-article-1.2530395

Manning has always been the media's poster boy (why they stole Favre's 09 MVP and gave it to Manning.

Thirteen years ago, USA Today obtained 74 pages of explosive court documents on Peyton Manning, Archie Manning, the University of Tennessee, and Florida Southern College that revealed allegations of a sexual-assault scandal, cover up, and smear campaign of the victim that was so deep, so widespread and so ugly that it would've rocked the American sports world to its core. Yet USA Today never released those documents for reasons I can't explain.

Avante
02-13-2016, 05:36 PM
Al-Jazeera caught him roiding up this year, tbh. His response was to hire a private investigator to stalk the guy who blew the whistle, which screams "guilty."

Why the lies guy?

Avante
02-13-2016, 05:37 PM
How did Bradshaw play in those SB's?

Do you really wanna compare their playoff stats?

J.T.
03-13-2016, 03:06 PM
Without looking at the numbers, Peyton's SB50 output was almost the same as SB41 with the Colts. He had less than 300 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT in his victory with the Colts, and that was when his Super Bowl window was open the widest.

But with Peyton, there's really no scenario in which him winning a Super Bowl lowers his legacy any, short of being benched in-game and the backup coming back to win. The wheels were falling off this season, everyone saw it, and he retired like he should have.

In my opinion, this ring has either no effect on his legacy, or only slightly enhances it. To be completely honest, the SB that effects his legacy the most is SB44 against the Saints. A win in that game completly alters the final arc of his career.

dbreiden83080
03-20-2016, 05:14 PM
He is top 3 ever.

Montana
Brady
Peyton

In any order you like..

johnsmith
03-20-2016, 05:19 PM
He is top 3 ever.

Montana
Brady
Peyton

In any order you like..

Agreed....I think Elway is 4 personally.

I do think I could put them in order. Brady, Montana, then Manning.

Total opinion though.

DAF86
04-25-2016, 02:10 PM
No he didn't

Why is he being suspended then?