PDA

View Full Version : Last night was a beautiful display of offense by our top 2 guys

TDfan2007
02-10-2016, 09:56 AM
LMA went right at Whiteside, didn't force anything, used his left well, mixed in some well-timed fakes, and was just an overall beast all night.

Kawhi...just...wow. Some of those moves last night were Kobe/Tim-like in their footwork. I love that he didn't settle as much for that contested J, and instead used his footwork and length to get good shots close to the basket. This was probably the best half-court offensive game that I've ever seen him play. Just incredible how far this guy has come. He was a defensive tool in his rookie year and now he's a top 5 player in the league with an elite 3 point shot AND post game (how many players can say that?).

:bobo

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
02-10-2016, 09:58 AM
I have seen the Spurs' future and it doesn't look like the Lakers for awhile.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/patty-mills-lamarcus-aldridge-kawhi-leonard-jonathon-simmons-and-tim-picture-id505348082

Seventyniner
02-10-2016, 10:21 AM
Simmons has the best facial expressions.

KenziE
02-10-2016, 10:41 AM

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/patty-mills-lamarcus-aldridge-kawhi-leonard-jonathon-simmons-and-tim-picture-id505348082

You Listen when the Legend speaks yes ref im talkin to you

Spurs da champs
02-10-2016, 10:43 AM
Kawhi was hitting fade aways over Luol Deng...Deng may not be as good as he was earlier in his career...but damn. He's still 6'9 and a decent defender at the very least.

lefty
02-10-2016, 10:46 AM
I knew this thread wasn't about Parker

All Mighty Janitor
02-10-2016, 11:39 AM
I had been wondering when we would get a good showcase of Kawhi posting up good and smart defenders. I knew he had the footwork to do it but I wanted to see him put it together consistently over the course of the game. I did not expect him to be able to get what ever he wanted like that though against a smart and long defender in Deng and a strong stout defender in Winslow. Even though some of it may have been him just hitting shots, it was the quality of the shots he generated that makes me believe that, as long as he is allowed to go to work in his spots, he'll be unguardable in the post. He still seems to be have some issues passing out of the post but he is improving. He needs more reps so hopefully we get more post ups for Kawhi.

I glad LMA went right at Whiteside. I still wanna see him score like this on some smarter defenders, but he doesn't look like he showing any signs of slowing down. Hopeful Duncan's return doesn't mess with his flow.

$pursDynasty
02-10-2016, 11:44 AM
Lefty in a way it is, because Parker was driving the offense to our top 2 guys. The entire team seems more than happy to defer to LMAlpha and the Kingslayer and pick their spots. I really enjoyed not only the play of our future big 2 but in general the big boy bully ball we played last night, killing them in the paint, whether it was Kiwi, LMA, DWest, or Bobo. (Boban got abused a few times but that is your 5th big so not an issue).

Mel_13
02-10-2016, 11:51 AM
Watching Kawhi's progression over these five years has been amazing. Truly a credit to his work ethic and the quality of the coaching staff.

$pursDynasty
02-10-2016, 11:54 AM
Watching Kawhi's progression over these five years has been amazing. Truly a credit to his work ethic and the quality of the coaching staff.
I am hoping the coaching staff can do the same with Simmons, it would be nice to have an ultra athletic guard that can play good defense in the next version of the Spurs.

MultiTroll
02-10-2016, 11:57 AM
I am hoping the coaching staff can do the same with Simmons, it would be nice to have an ultra athletic guard that can play good defense in the next version of the Spurs.
Now if he can have Manu continue to teach him how to take the ball to the rack.
Simmons already looks very good taking the ball to the rim. GNob can show him how to add some tweaks to it.
Loved it last night when Simmons drove hard to the rack, got roadblocked so pulled up and hit a sweet 8 foot J.

Russ
02-10-2016, 12:13 PM
Not to rain on the parade, but LMA's rhetoric is still somewhat troubling.

Asked if was adjusting to the Spurs' system better, last night he said: "I think both sides have definitely done better at it." He was referring to one side as himself and the other as the Spurs (or "the system").

The Spurs may win a title this year but, if so, it may be a bit different than in years past.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
02-10-2016, 12:36 PM
Not to rain on the parade, but LMA's rhetoric is still somewhat troubling.

Asked if was adjusting to the Spurs' system better, last night he said: "I think both sides have definitely done better at it." He was referring to one side as himself and the other as the Spurs (or "the system").

The Spurs may win a title this year but, if so, it may be a bit different than in years past.

It would be worrisome if the Spurs System NEVER centered around a post player. But for YEARS it did. Pop has been noticeably morphing the new Spurs system with the old to accommodate LMA. We are finally starting to see it functioning properly.

I don't even think LMA is realizing the reason why things are transitioning so well is that Pop already have A TON OF PLAYS to run for a guy like LMA.

dabom
02-10-2016, 01:05 PM

:lol

Horse
02-10-2016, 01:34 PM
I like what I'm seeing but still think Kawhi/LMA and even Boban at times let defenders off the hook not going right at them and fading away.

YGWHI
02-10-2016, 02:40 PM
Kawhi was hitting fade aways over Luol Deng...Deng may not be as good as he was earlier in his career...but damn. He's still 6'9 and a decent defender at the very least.

And Winslow, who is young, strong, a defensive mind, and still Kawhi made him look bad.

YGWHI
02-10-2016, 02:44 PM
I had been wondering when we would get a good showcase of Kawhi posting up good and smart defenders. I knew he had the footwork to do it but I wanted to see him put it together consistently over the course of the game. I did not expect him to be able to get what ever he wanted like that though against a smart and long defender in Deng and a strong stout defender in Winslow. Even though some of it may have been him just hitting shots, it was the quality of the shots he generated that makes me believe that, as long as he is allowed to go to work in his spots, he'll be unguardable in the post. He still seems to be have some issues passing out of the post but he is improving. He needs more reps so hopefully we get more post ups for Kawhi.

I glad LMA went right at Whiteside. I still wanna see him score like this on some smarter defenders, but he doesn't look like he showing any signs of slowing down. Hopeful Duncan's return doesn't mess with his flow.

Nice post. :tu

SpursforSix
02-10-2016, 02:57 PM

LOL. It looks like none of the Spurs can understand a damn thing that Duncan is talking about.

lefty
02-10-2016, 02:59 PM
LOL. It looks like none of the Spurs can understand a damn thing that Duncan is talking about.

sasaint
02-10-2016, 03:04 PM
I like what I'm seeing but still think Kawhi/LMA and even Boban at times let defenders off the hook not going right at them and fading away.

I have never been a fan of big, strong guys shooting lots of fade-always. For whatever reason, LMA seems to be taking fewer of them recently (much to my liking). I like his game so much better when he catches the ball facing the basket and shoots it and when he posts up and goes strong to the hole. I admit it is pretty hard to quibble with Kawhi when he is so deadly with the fade, but I like the rest of his repertoire better. As for Boban, he does not seem as strong as I originally thought. I like his dunks (obviously) and his surprisingly soft, short one-handed "jumper" (for lack of a better word), but his other "moves" around the rim do not seem real strong.

sasaint
02-10-2016, 03:05 PM

:lmao

SpursforSix
02-10-2016, 03:19 PM

Simmons is full on

https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.Mfa864002d679a773fec9b9e88f12e999H2&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

r0drig0lac
02-10-2016, 03:42 PM
Simmons is full on

https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.Mfa864002d679a773fec9b9e88f12e999H2&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

haha

Chinook
02-10-2016, 03:46 PM
Simmons is full on

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MzSqe4QZG9U/UGHQfDrQAmI/AAAAAAAACS0/Ed5kYYo7-mc/s1600/the-best-of-the-skeptical-3rd-world-kid-meme.jpg

BillMc
02-10-2016, 04:20 PM
You Listen when the Legend speaks yes ref im talkin to you
:bobo

spurs10
02-10-2016, 05:21 PM

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/patty-mills-lamarcus-aldridge-kawhi-leonard-jonathon-simmons-and-tim-picture-id505348082 "Come join us after the game, I'm going to be discussing Roth IRA's, all the guys will be there...right guys?"

rmt
02-10-2016, 06:35 PM
I have never been a fan of big, strong guys shooting lots of fade-always. For whatever reason, LMA seems to be taking fewer of them recently (much to my liking). I like his game so much better when he catches the ball facing the basket and shoots it and when he posts up and goes strong to the hole. I admit it is pretty hard to quibble with Kawhi when he is so deadly with the fade, but I like the rest of his repertoire better. As for Boban, he does not seem as strong as I originally thought. I like his dunks (obviously) and his surprisingly soft, short one-handed "jumper" (for lack of a better word), but his other "moves" around the rim do not seem real strong.

Boban still brings the ball down - Duncan has not cured him of this. LMA never seems to make the basket when fouled - unlike Wade or usually Duncan. West is really passing well from the high post.

sasaint
02-10-2016, 06:44 PM
"Come join us after the game, I'm going to be discussing Roth IRA's, all the guys will be there...right guys?"

Great caption! :lmao