PDA

View Full Version : Boris Diaw dismal play the past few weeks...

spursistan
02-10-2016, 09:44 PM
I see he's getting a pass here :lol.. Since he broke out that espresso machine, dude has been dozing off on court instead of waking the fuck up....

Well, not exactly the right time to go coast mode with Manu out for more than month and Tony banged up..:rolleyes..Got benched by Pop down the stretch and would probably get back to garbage time runs if he keeps playing like this..

Chris
02-10-2016, 09:46 PM
I thought he played great last night; bullying nigs in the paint tbh

SouthernFried
02-10-2016, 09:46 PM
He's D...has been pretty bad. Offense kinda sporadic. Dunno what happened these last few weeks. But, I love his game...when it's working. Faith. I have faith ;)

Mel_13
02-10-2016, 09:48 PM
Been going full RS Horry lately.

Uriel
02-10-2016, 10:05 PM
In hindsight, should we have traded Diaw instead of Splitter? (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251325) On paper, Mills-Ginobili-Anderson-West-Splitter makes far more sense than Mills-Ginobili-Anderson-Diaw-West, especially considering the latter group has three playmakers and no rim protector.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251325

:wakeup

Mel_13
02-10-2016, 10:06 PM
:wakeup

:deadhorse

BatManu20
02-10-2016, 10:09 PM
Coasting. Non-issue.

SAGirl
02-11-2016, 01:52 AM
Coasting.... one of these days Bobo is going to coast himself out of his own spot.

DenialTwist
02-11-2016, 02:48 AM
It's probably because he hasn't had a rest game so far this season lol, Pop wants him to lose weight. Anyways, he has always been like this in the regular season. It's ok.
But in the playoffs, Bobo is great. He brings his A game.

Kawhitstorm
02-11-2016, 04:24 AM
I see he's getting a pass here :lol.. Since he broke out that espresso machine, dude has been dozing off on court instead of waking the fuck up......

He's letting D-West do all the heavy lifting while he coasts.:lol (He played well against the Heat when West was in foul trouble)

SAGirl
02-11-2016, 04:29 AM
It's probably because he hasn't had a rest game so far this season lol, Pop wants him to lose weight. Anyways, he has always been like this in the regular season. It's ok.
But in the playoffs, Bobo is great. He brings his A game.
Yea I am not at all saying he's done. He can play well when he wants to.

That said he's very overweight at this point, so I definitely see Pop's need to give him a workout. Earlier in the season he played all garbage time. I love Boris too but honestly he's coasted the past few games.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-11-2016, 06:09 AM
If he wasn't like that he wouldn't have been on the Spurs roster in the first place. He'd be somewhere doing Draymond Green things on a $80 mil contract.

r0drig0lac
02-11-2016, 06:40 AM
If he wasn't like that he wouldn't have been on the Spurs roster in the first place. He'd be somewhere doing Draymond Green things on a $80 mil contract.

wildbill2u
02-11-2016, 04:00 PM
I bet Pop (and maybe some players) are disappointed with his attitude this year. Half way through the season and he is still overweight and doesn't seem to care very much when he is on the court. Does the minimum but little hustle. I wonder if he is upset with West taking some minutes from him.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-11-2016, 04:20 PM
Been going full RS Horry lately.

Particularly with the all star break coming up. He's subtle but you can tell he gets irritated and responds to competition nonetheless.

SAGirl
02-11-2016, 09:40 PM
I bet Pop (and maybe some players) are disappointed with his attitude this year. Half way through the season and he is still overweight and doesn't seem to care very much when he is on the court. Does the minimum but little hustle. I wonder if he is upset with West taking some minutes from him.Nah Boris is not that kind of cancer. But I do think there were a succession of games earlier in the season that the team relied on him a lot in the bench and he can't turn that on in a nightly basis. If he could or would he'd be a star type like a post above said... He's bound to coast. Pop went to a still learning player who was recovering from illness in Anderson and when he didn't have it, to Butler. Since we won I bet Boris doesn't care one bit. But we do need Boris playing well. We don't win a championship with Rasual playing th 4th to lose out games. I missed the performance by Rasual but obviously Boris is the much better player when he wants to. I am hoping he's coasting or maybe the effort of the night before took a toll ( since it was B2B).

HarlemHeat37
02-19-2016, 12:59 AM
Really hope he's coasting, his post game has looked so awful the past 3-4 weeks, tbh..

I used to be very confident whenever he would post up, probably the most reliable on the team, now I think he's going to throw up a brick every time:lol

TheGreatYacht
02-19-2016, 01:01 AM
Y'all keep cheering him on for being unhealthy, lulz coffeemaker in his locker hahaha lmao good Ol Boris

spursistan
02-19-2016, 02:25 AM

A non-excuse excuse..Starting to feel the pressure??

dabom
02-19-2016, 02:27 AM

A non-excuse excuse..Starting to feel the pressure??

Learning from Tony...

Ditty
02-19-2016, 02:30 AM
Waiting for Johnny Ringo to appear and trash how lazy, and overrated the french NBA players are.

spursistan
02-19-2016, 02:39 AM
Time for Pop to crack the whip on Diaw regimen..this is how looked when he destroyed the Heat in Finals..

http://hardwoodparoxysm.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2014/06/lebron-james-boris-diaw-nba-finals-miami-heat-san-antonio-spurs1.jpg

vs

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/boris-diaw-of-the-san-antonio-spurs-shoots-against-dirk-nowitzki-of-picture-id505426616

DenialTwist
02-19-2016, 02:45 AM
Diaw needs to lay off the cappuccinos lol He definitely gained weight after all star break.

Kawhitstorm
02-19-2016, 03:08 AM
Time for Pop to crack the whip on Diaw regimen

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/boris-diaw-of-the-san-antonio-spurs-shoots-against-dirk-nowitzki-of-picture-id505426616

He probably gained 15 pounds during the ASG break:bang

TheLoop
02-19-2016, 03:45 AM
This picture was before The all star Break...

kobyz
02-19-2016, 06:01 AM
He is in retirement mode, it's a joke he still in rotation...

cd021
02-19-2016, 08:50 AM
He looked like he was having trouble against Pierce in the post, not sure if thats more on him or more on Pierce but he really couldn't take advantage.

Diaw has a tendancy to coast at times in the RS but his PS career in S.A has been generally very good. He had a good showing in the '13 finals ( especially defensively, offensively he was passive which limited his effectiveness) the '14 playoff run possibly the best playoff a Spurs role player has had. He essentially saved the series vs. the Mavs by hitting a 3 in game 4 to give us the lead and the win to make the series 2-2. He smashed OKC, (26pts in game 6) and allowed the Spurs to stay big when OKC went with Durant at the four by being able to guard SFs.

He had the best +/- in the Finals and Leonard didn't explode until Pop put Diaw into the starting unit.

All thats just an long way of saying i think he'll get his shit together come the PS.

Pauleta14
02-19-2016, 09:04 AM
The fact that he might be coasting is possible explanation, but his shape really worries me, he won't be able to loose his extra weight before the PO...

ceperez
02-19-2016, 09:58 AM
Diaw coasts a lot.... that's just who he is. He's one of the better players on the team, but really doesn't put in the effort on a nightly basis.

MultiTroll
02-19-2016, 10:23 AM
He looked like he was having trouble against Pierce in the post, not sure if thats more on him or more on Pierce but he really couldn't take advantage.
Early on Diaw was real aggressive and got hacked twice by Pierce.
ClipperRef sat and watched with whistle in mouth.
Not justifying whole game, just saying at that point maybe Diaw had to back off.

Fireball
02-19-2016, 10:25 AM
Regardless of his shape ... he cannot post up Draymond Green. And that's a big problem ...

Pauleta14
02-19-2016, 11:53 AM
Regardless of his shape ... he cannot post up Draymond Green. And that's a big problem ...

I think he can... if he really wants to.

Diaw wasn't himself against the warriors the last game imo, you can't judge him on that game.

Don't underestimate the power of his big butt if he adds energy and willingness...^^

wildbill2u
02-19-2016, 12:11 PM
I absolutely am disgusted with a player who "coasts". The implication is that he's made a decision that he doesn't have to play hard every night to do his job, earn his salary, support his teammates fully, and entertain the fans. I wouldn't want other professionals [ie, neurosurgeon, architect, lawyer, bricklayer, plumber, truck driver, etc] who 'coasts' while employed by me. He's supposed to give his best every night.

Some guys don't coast, even while hurt. No one ever suggested that Tim or Manu coasted in a game. Damn it, Boris, get it together.

Pauleta14
02-19-2016, 12:18 PM
It can also mean that the guy knows his body and the fact that if he doesn't coast, he won't be able to produce during the PO...

82 games before starting the real competition is absurd.

cd021
02-19-2016, 01:34 PM
Early on Diaw was real aggressive and got hacked twice by Pierce.
ClipperRef sat and watched with whistle in mouth.
Not justifying whole game, just saying at that point maybe Diaw had to back off.

Diaw wasn't necessarily awful last night he did bail the Spurs out with a 3 to beat the shot clock and stole a pass and ran a fast break which got Simmons an easy dunk. He didn't take advantage of Pierce which is unusual because he normally does a great job of posting players of similar height and scoring on them. The spacing may have been an issue as well. I think he was playing with Mills, Butler, Simmons and West. West and Simmons really aren't threats outside of 18 feet. LAC was probably willing to live with an open 3 from Butler ( a pretty good 3pt shooter) if it meant muddying up the lanes and Mills is really the only legit threat from 3.

timtonymanu
02-19-2016, 02:00 PM
He looked even worse last season and showed up just fine for the playoffs. I won't worry about Diaw until he actually disappears in the postseason.

ceperez
02-19-2016, 02:05 PM
Diaw wasn't necessarily awful last night he did bail the Spurs out with a 3 to beat the shot clock and stole a pass and ran a fast break which got Simmons an easy dunk. He didn't take advantage of Pierce which is unusual because he normally does a great job of posting players of similar height and scoring on them. The spacing may have been an issue as well. I think he was playing with Mills, Butler, Simmons and West. West and Simmons really aren't threats outside of 18 feet. LAC was probably willing to live with an open 3 from Butler ( a pretty good 3pt shooter) if it meant muddying up the lanes and Mills is really the only legit threat from 3.

He barely played more than 10 minute. Pop likely has him in reserve.

spursistan
03-07-2016, 08:53 PM
Incredible the pass he is getting around here compared to other players (Green, TP)..it is just seems like he has fallen off cliff just like Tony did after 2013..

spursistan
03-07-2016, 09:38 PM
Messina putting Butler--who is been fillin in for his sucky ass-- on the inactive list when it was evident he wasn't going to play Simmons/Boban shows how much ready and he is for HC job..

HarlemHeat37
03-07-2016, 10:42 PM
Hopefully he's 2007 Horry, as opposed to 2008 Horry, tbh:lol

SAGirl
03-08-2016, 02:25 AM
Incredible the pass he is getting around here compared to other players (Green, TP)..it is just seems like he has fallen off cliff just like Tony did after 2013..
I have stated Anderson has bailed him out multiple games, ppl just hate on him and thus ignore what he's done for the team and keep giving Diaw a pass bc its convenient for their agendas.

Still Anderson is too young and he's not going to replace what a veteran like Diaw does, and they don't have the same game (similar is one thing, the same is another.)

SAGirl
03-08-2016, 02:28 AM
Messina putting Butler--who is been fillin in for his sucky ass-- on the inactive list when it was evident he wasn't going to play Simmons/Boban shows how much ready and he is for HC job..
Also upset about this, bc in recent games Pop has made adjustments, whether that is getting bench guys in earlier into the game, or going to different guys looking for someone to spark a run, and he has most of the time found it. Sometimes it has been guys like Boban providing huge scoring, sometimes its been Simmons/Rasual/Anderson. He had to mix it up more than he did. If we were getting vexed at the basket by Miles Turner, put friking Boban for a couple of minutes, see what happens.

Maybe he was just scared bc this is not his team. I don't know. I am disappointed in Messina. He didn't try anything other than same ol, same ol.

apalisoc_9
03-08-2016, 02:40 AM
he looks fucking lazy tbh.

SAGirl
03-11-2016, 12:38 PM
Have to wonder if you had benched Diaw in the Pacers game and put in Boban or someone else we could have won it. Boris wasn't the fault in everyone choosing the same game to go cold but if there is one thing Boban can do is score. Messina should have mixed things up and Boris was probably the weakest link.

Kawhitstorm
03-11-2016, 12:41 PM
Hopefully he's 2007 Horry, as opposed to 2008 Horry, tbh:lol

Dude is on that Malik Rose trajectory, won't be surprised if he's shipped out in the summer.:lol

Kawhitstorm
03-11-2016, 12:42 PM
Have to wonder if you had benched Diaw in the Pacers game and put in Boban or someone else we could have won it. Boris wasn't the fault in everyone choosing the same game to go cold but if there is one thing Boban can do is score. Messina should have mixed things up and Boris was probably the weakest link.

The Spurs lost that game b/c they missed a trillion point blank shots on top of being cold from outside.

KL2
03-11-2016, 01:22 PM
Diaw has a lot of wear and tear on his knees, must be those summers playing for France, unfortunately he's got a teammate that sets bad examples and is responsible for his decline...

SAGirl
03-11-2016, 02:27 PM
The Spurs lost that game b/c they missed a trillion point blank shots on top of being cold from outside.
I watched it and I know miles Turner altered a lot of shots, plus guys rushed their shots bc of his nearby presence. Sure some were just missed, but Messina did not give a chance to others to see if anyone could get it going, something Pop has not been afraid to do through the season.

ceperez
03-11-2016, 05:27 PM
The Spurs Death Squad has now evolved with Martin replacing Simmons:

Mills - Manu - Martin - Diaw - Boban

an alternative variant of this is:

Mills Martin Anderson Diaw Boban

cd021
03-11-2016, 05:40 PM
Dude is on that Malik Rose trajectory, won't be surprised if he's shipped out in the summer.:lol

Spurs could just cut him, if I'm not mistaken, his contract isn't fully guaranteed.

SAGirl
03-11-2016, 06:26 PM
The Spurs Death Squad has now evolved with Martin replacing Simmons:

Mills - Manu - Martin - Diaw - Boban

an alternative variant of this is:

Mills Martin Anderson Diaw Boban
We shall see how it goes the rest of the season. Boris will need to show up in the postseason. Anderson and Boban are too new/rookie and Pop is super selective the matchups and games he plays Boban. He's an offensive beast, but defensively he's still a work in progress.

Boris vs Anderson is clearly the mystery. Lately I tend to think Anderson just figures more into Pop's switching defenses than Diaw does and Pop has sacrificed some Diaw minutes to get him as much experience for what is to come as possible. I wonder whether Kyle at this point is just simply flat out executing Pop's defensive schemes better and Pop just already knows Boris is not going to cut it against some matchups, or he's not going to be able to execute what Pop wants so there might be some CIA Pop at work.

I don't think Pop thought initially that Kyle was ready to guard 4s but it all started with the loss at GSW, Pop went back to the drawing board and since then we have seen Kyle vs Love, vs Ryan Anderson, vs Morris, A.Gordon, Nowitzki, Mirotic, Ariza, Montiejunas, etc. For over 2 straight months it's been the schooling of Anderson guarding all sort of mobile 4.

Although he's shown he can play 3 positions, at the 4 is where well have the need. Just a Nostradamus opinion.

Blatant guess and speculation I know.

spursistan
03-11-2016, 06:44 PM
Diaw would be foolish to take Pop for granted..he doesn't have Big 3 cachet/equity in this team and if his slide continues in the playoffs-- in some why costing us by having to insert a rookie like Kyle-- PATFO will look to move (away from) him in the off-season..In fact, they knew what they were doing by not fully guaranteeing his final year...His slovenly worth ethic is not the way to go when you combine it with natural decline kicking in..

EVAY
03-11-2016, 06:56 PM
I think Boris suffers from the arrogance that any number of extremely talented athletes do, that he will be able to 'turn it on' whenever he needs to do so. Last night he actually looked like he cared (which is unusual for his recent behavior), and tried a couple of moves that have worked in the past. But they didn't work, and Pop pulled him quite quickly (and rightly). Boris is at the age where he is actually going to have to work hard to be able to do what he used to do effortlessly. He doesn't yet appear to have accepted that reality.

Agree with the majority of posters here who indicate that Pop will not put up with that behavior if he doesn't come through in the playoffs, and he will be gone. I don't honestly think that Anderson and others have the native talent that Boris has, but all that talent will do him no good with Pop if he doesn't want to work.

We have all seen Pop get some experience for a ton of folks this year, much more than in past seasons, and I believe all that tinkering will pay off in the post season. If someone is not pulling his weight, he will get taken out of the game in exchange for a rookie or sophomore. We just have to hope that all the practice the youngsters have gotten during the season will pay off. The fact that we have added two ancient vets with specific skills in the last few weeks tells me that Pop isn't all that thrilled when his youngsters' experiences to date.

The games over the next couple of weeks will be really telling for more than just the season record - the playoff personnel picture will get a lot clearer I think.

urunobili
03-11-2016, 07:03 PM
Horry 05 mode TBH

wildbill2u
03-11-2016, 07:40 PM
Well, his minutes are going down down down. A sure sign that Pop is true to his credo: If another player begins to play better, they will get the minutes. No favorites.

ceperez
03-11-2016, 08:04 PM
We shall see how it goes the rest of the season. Boris will need to show up in the postseason. Anderson and Boban are too new/rookie and Pop is super selective the matchups and games he plays Boban. He's an offensive beast, but defensively he's still a work in progress.

Boris vs Anderson is clearly the mystery. Lately I tend to think Anderson just figures more into Pop's switching defenses than Diaw does and Pop has sacrificed some Diaw minutes to get him as much experience for what is to come as possible. I wonder whether Kyle at this point is just simply flat out executing Pop's defensive schemes better and Pop just already knows Boris is not going to cut it against some matchups, or he's not going to be able to execute what Pop wants so there might be some CIA Pop at work.

I don't think Pop thought initially that Kyle was ready to guard 4s but it all started with the loss at GSW, Pop went back to the drawing board and since then we have seen Kyle vs Love, vs Ryan Anderson, vs Morris, A.Gordon, Nowitzki, Mirotic, Ariza, Montiejunas, etc. For over 2 straight months it's been the schooling of Anderson guarding all sort of mobile 4.

Although he's shown he can play 3 positions, at the 4 is where well have the need. Just a Nostradamus opinion.

I haven't seen KA score on a bigger player. He's going to be left open at the perimeter against a bigger player. The problem is that he's afraid to shoot it from deep.

Last game he had a ton of deflections. Like I said before, he's just has 1/2 an inch difference in wingspan from Kawhi. It indeed is odd that I seem to like him in the court for defensive purposes.

timtonymanu
03-11-2016, 08:08 PM
Diaw has always been passive for the Spurs in the regular season (2014 being the only exception, wish he could get back to that level).

He's always been frustrating to watch when he plays like this. Hopefully it's just coasting and not a decline in his game. I trust in Diaw though. He seemed legitimately bummed last year that the Spurs couldn't repeat.

CGD
03-11-2016, 08:32 PM

Not all those 4s listed are "mobile 4s"; in fact most are stretch 4s that are in love with the long ball (including Love, 38 yr old dirk). If the other team's PF isn't going to punish the Spurs in the paint then why not guard them with Andersons length? And then on offense Anderson looks less slow, and might even be able to exploit a mismatch here and there.

ElNono
03-11-2016, 08:33 PM
bored IMO... he'll flip the switch when it matters

CGD
03-11-2016, 08:43 PM
I haven't lost hope, when engaged he's one of our best players posing all sorts of match up problems.

Regardless of his play these playoffs, I do wonder if he gets moved this summer. After this year he is effectively on an expiring deal (2017-18 is a team option IIRC). A Boris + Danny + small asset (Andrrson, Simmons, 1st) would be an interesting package that could bring back a ~18m contract.

SAGirl
03-11-2016, 08:46 PM
bored IMO... he'll flip the switch when it matters
I think he'll be out of shape and conditioning that is what's strange Pop starts getting guys ready at this point. Boris is not ready and at this stage isn't going go be.

The next matches should be telling.

Kawhitstorm
03-11-2016, 10:50 PM
Spurs could just cut him, if I'm not mistaken, his contract isn't fully guaranteed.

He would be a good trade bait b/c of his partially guaranteed contract if PATFO want to re-acquire Tiago (assuming he isn't done). If the Hawks lose Horford in the off-season then Boris would be a temporary replacement.

weeks
03-12-2016, 04:32 AM
He better turn it on in the playoffs and I mean starting round one, or I'm washing my hands of him...diaw one of my boys but I WILL change this avatar if he doesn't bring it when we need him..

For whatever reason we don't talk about him much or make threads but man am I EVER grateful to captain west .

Ice009
03-12-2016, 05:48 AM
He better turn it on in the playoffs and I mean starting round one, or I'm washing my hands of him...diaw one of my boys but I WILL change this avatar if he doesn't bring it when we need him..

For whatever reason we don't talk about him much or make threads but man am I EVER grateful to captain west .

Look, I love Diaw the person and I love his game when he's engaged and really wants it. I think he has incredible talent, but in all honesty, he has pissed it away most of his career because he just doesn't seem to care enough about staying in really good shape to utilize what he's been given. That really bothers me. There's people that aren't as gifted as Boris, or gotten the genetics that he was blessed with (Boris was very, very athletic) and they would kill to have what he has, yet it just seems to me that he's taken it for granted and I am finding that hard to accept.

You know, in 2006 when Boris was with the Suns, people (french posters/fans) would say that he was the best player from France and back then I didn't quite agree, I always thought it was Parker. However, with Boris being on the team and after the 2014 season, I said to myself, you know what, those guys were right, Boris is the best french player. Now I know what they were/are talking about. I thought Boris had turned the corner late in the 2014 season and was 100% committed to not wasting any more of his talent (he even said that he got it), but unfortunately it seems in 2015 he went back to being lazy. I just don't understand what he's doing.

jermaine
03-12-2016, 09:17 AM
Maybe he's enjoying other aspects of life than just basketball. Some times basketball just maybe a stepping stone to reach higher places. Maybe his heart just isn't in it anymore. He loves his children books, taking pictures, an drinking expresso evidently.

Knoxxx
03-12-2016, 11:31 AM
Dump Diaw and then if Duncan retires perfect scenario to sign Pau Gasol?

Spurtacular
03-12-2016, 11:47 AM

Ice009
03-12-2016, 07:24 PM
True, but he was supposed to have turned the corner after 2014 when he said something along the lines of - I now get it. It seems like he may have gotten it for a minute, but now forgotten it again.