PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Korver on the block

DAF86
02-11-2016, 10:37 AM
Just what we are needing. Well worth giving up a pick and some third string scrubs, tbh.

SpursFan86
02-11-2016, 10:39 AM
He'd certainly help out with our lack of 3-point shooting, but I'm not sure there's any way we could make the salaries work without giving up a rotation player (which I don't see us doing).

Mills/Korver/Manu/Diaw bench unit though :wow

apalisoc_9
02-11-2016, 10:41 AM
He looks done. Had two surgeries this offseason and is 35

Mel_13
02-11-2016, 10:43 AM
Pretty much have to trade Mills or Diaw to make the numbers work. Not happening.

SpursFan86
02-11-2016, 10:46 AM

Still shooting 39% from 3 on 5 attempts per game while also being a deadly mid-range shooter. Nothing to write home about defensively, but he's serviceable.

His contract is up after next year...he'll probably be done by then. But I think he'd be a solid pickup for the next year and a half. Obviously it comes down to what we'd have to give up though, and like I initially said, I'm not sure the numbers work without having to give up a rotational player.

DAF86
02-11-2016, 10:51 AM
I'm on the cell and couldn't check the salaries. There's no way to match up the salaries giving up 2 or 3 of the highest paid third stringers (Ray, Simmons, Kyle, Bonner, Boban and Butler)?

spursparker9
02-11-2016, 10:53 AM
He is done tbh.

lilbthebasedgod
02-11-2016, 10:55 AM
Why? He's much better from the 3pt line.

Spurs9
02-11-2016, 10:58 AM
Who would we give up though?

UNT Eagles 2016
02-11-2016, 11:15 AM
Who would we give up though?
Some combination of Mills, Diaw, Ginobili or Duncan to make the numbers work.

hater
02-11-2016, 11:26 AM
We don't have 3rd string scrubs.

DAF86
02-11-2016, 11:49 AM
We don't have 3rd string scrubs.

Not even Manu?

ElNono
02-11-2016, 11:52 AM
Spurs can take in up to 150% of outgoing salaries, IIRC, since we're not a tax paying team. That means the Spurs would need to send out about $3.8m to absorb Korver's $5.7m deal.

You have Butler and Bonner making $1.5m each, McCallum $900k... another option might be Fredette's contract that's still $500k, or Boban who is $1.2m...

I don't even know if we would need to send a pick, since most of the contracts we're sending would be expiring, making them relatively valuable.

DAF86
02-11-2016, 12:05 PM
Spurs can take in up to 150% of outgoing salaries, IIRC, since we're not a tax paying team. That means the Spurs would need to send out about $3.8m to absorb Korver's $5.7m deal.

You have Butler and Bonner making $1.5m each, McCallum $900k... another option might be Fredette's contract that's still $500k, or Boban who is $1.2m...

I don't even know if we would need to send a pick, since most of the contracts we're sending would be expiring, making them relatively valuable.

Thanks scro. Definitely something worth exploring.

Mel_13
02-11-2016, 12:07 PM

Spurs are taxpayers, so 125%.

Jimmer was waived, so his contract can't be traded.

Bonner has a virtual no-trade clause.

Not certain, but I believe that Bonner and Butler would only count for the 900k or so that is paid by the Spurs. The portion of their salary reimbursed by the league doesn't count in trade calculations, IIRC. Could be wrong about that.

100%duncan
02-11-2016, 12:24 PM
If this works without trading anyone away from our rotation then by any means go for it

hater
02-11-2016, 12:28 PM
Not even Manu?

Nobody wants a 38 year old pile of bones

lefty
02-11-2016, 12:30 PM
Better PG than Tony tbh

cjw
02-11-2016, 12:39 PM
Pretty much have to trade Mills or Diaw to make the numbers work. Not happening.

Right - four of the low salary guys (Anderson, Simmons, Bonner, Butler, Bojan, McCallum) don't even get it done - would need to send out five. Never, ever happening. He's not enough of an upgrade to move out Diaw or Mills.

BatManu20
02-11-2016, 12:42 PM
Korver doesn't look nearly as good as he has the past 2 seasons. He's starting to shoot it a little better from deep these past couple weeks, but his season he's really struggled by his standards. He said he had to "reinvent his shot" this year after the slump he's been going through the first half of the season. That plus he's coming off of multiple surgeries this offseason. I'm sure he'd improve in our system but at his price, I don't see it. I think Spurs stand pat.

Chinook
02-11-2016, 12:45 PM

Not certain, but I believe that Bonner and Butler would only count for the 900k or so that is paid by the Spurs. The portion of their salary reimbursed by the league doesn't count in trade calculations, IIRC. Could be wrong about that.

All of this is correct. Spurs would need to aggregate $4.52 Million to get Korver. That's not happening with scrap players. Honestly there's very little point in talking about trading for a role-player making more than like $3.6 Million this year. I'm not suggesting the team trade for Will Barton or anything, but that would be the about as high as they could go.

Chinook
02-11-2016, 12:46 PM
And I'd totally give up a first and Bertans for Barton.

letmk
02-11-2016, 12:47 PM
The difficulties for the Spurs to beat Ws and OKC are on the defense side, not offense side. Add another slow and aged veteran who can't defend is the opposite what they need. Developing young players like Simmons who learns to stay with shooters is the right way to go.

TheGreatYacht
02-11-2016, 12:59 PM
All in for Barton. Goodbye Paddy/Diaw

BatManu20
02-11-2016, 01:05 PM
Will Barton will be to expensive imo. A lot of teams have inquired about him already apparently. A late 1st-round pick & Bertans or any other Euro-stash would not be enough imo.

Chinook
02-11-2016, 01:10 PM
Will Barton will be to expensive imo. A lot of teams have inquired about him already apparently. A late 1st-round pick & Bertans or any other Euro-stash would not be enough imo.

I mean, there isn't a whole ton that I wouldn't be willing to add into the trade not counting core players and a third first-rounder. I actually don't think Denver will deal him, as they have him under control for three years. But if they do move him, they're not going to get a huge return.

phxspurfan
02-11-2016, 02:04 PM
I'd love an extra dependable shooter to bail out Green when he hits one of his Starksian dry spells.

I would also love to get Beli back.

ElNono
02-11-2016, 04:06 PM

Thanks Mel

EDIT: I thought Jimmer's contract is guaranteed and still counts towards the cap, so the Spurs could call him up from the D-League and trade that deal. IIRC, this actually does phase out if he's called up by another team and signs a new contract, no?

FuzzyLumpkins
02-11-2016, 04:17 PM
I'd rather keep developing Simmons and Fathead over bringing in a 34 year old having a down year. Progress stopper.

Kawhitstorm
02-11-2016, 04:34 PM
I mean, there isn't a whole ton that I wouldn't be willing to add into the trade not counting core players and a third first-rounder. I actually don't think Denver will deal him, as they have him under control for three years. But if they do move him, they're not going to get a huge return.

Didn't they trade Fournier on his rookie contract for Affalo then saved face by flipping Affalo for Barton:lol

Chinook
02-11-2016, 04:39 PM
Thanks Mel

EDIT: I thought Jimmer's contract is guaranteed and still counts towards the cap, so the Spurs could call him up from the D-League and trade that deal. IIRC, this actually does phase out if he's called up by another team and signs a new contract, no?

Jimmer's deal is dead money that can't be used for anything at this point. That was true from the moment he was (gloriously) waived. Another team signing him has no effect on his dead-money, since he was a min contract.

Chinook
02-11-2016, 04:42 PM
Didn't they trade Fournier on his rookie contract for Affalo then saved face by flipping Affalo for Barton:lol

Yeah, they traded Fournier and Marble to get Afflalo back. The Nuggets are stupid in that they keep getting and reupping middling players, creating log-jams and lowering their ceilings. They usually love them too much to trade, which is why I don't see Barton going anywhere.

Kikoluna
02-11-2016, 04:50 PM
Nobody wants a 38 year old pile of bones
Respect manu, este vato

r0drig0lac
02-11-2016, 06:01 PM
I never trade Bertans by Barton

DAF86
02-11-2016, 06:10 PM
Korver has "Spur" written all over him. I wish there's some kind of way we can get him without giving up rotation players.

Mel_13
02-11-2016, 07:25 PM
Thanks Mel

When they waived him and he cleared waivers that ended the relationship, except for paying him his guaranteed money. All rights to him ended.

ElNono
02-11-2016, 11:20 PM
Jimmer's deal is dead money that can't be used for anything at this point. That was true from the moment he was (gloriously) waived. Another team signing him has no effect on his dead-money, since he was a min contract.

When they waived him and he cleared waivers that ended the relationship, except for paying him his guaranteed money. All rights to him ended.

thanks

DenialTwist
02-12-2016, 01:41 AM
I'd rather the Spurs go after Troy Daniels. He is a knockdown three point shooter and clutch.

SpursIndonesia
02-12-2016, 04:48 AM
Might be intrigued for a Diaw for Korver swap, and promoting Butler as the small ball 4. High risk low return move though, especially if Boris current play is just him in hibernating mode waiting for post season to begin.

SpursIndonesia
02-12-2016, 04:52 AM
But imagining a LMA, Butler, Leonard, Korver/Green, and Mills, that's just a crazy 3 pt spacing galore that you can imagine on.

daledondale
02-12-2016, 06:55 AM
No thanks, he's done. Trust in Patty and Green for playoffs, they will be ready.

From Downtown
02-12-2016, 08:03 AM
I wouldn't trade Bertans for Barton either,the guy has great potential

Old School 44
02-12-2016, 08:58 AM
Might be intrigued for a Diaw for Korver swap, and promoting Butler as the small ball 4. High risk low return move though, especially if Boris current play is just him in hibernating mode waiting for post season to begin.
Unless a trade overwhelmingly favors the Spurs, most guys aren't tradeable because of team chemistry\loyalty and as Pop says, "corporate knowledge". Diaw is one of them. I'd say the BIG 3, Kawhi, LaMarcus, Patty, Diaw, Green and West fit this category.

The only reason I didn't put in Bonner, is he'd be included in a trade to make the money work, but you know he'd be waived or retire and end up back with the Spurs in some capacity within a couple weeks. :)

ceperez
02-12-2016, 09:18 AM
Here is a realistic trade:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=hu3qrpl

Aldridge for Horford and Korver.

McCallum gets waived.

Horford is smaller than Aldridge, but is a quicker player. Korver adds the Belinelli that the Spurs are missing.

Mel_13
02-12-2016, 09:37 AM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/realistic

elemento
02-12-2016, 09:43 AM
I like Barton too but it's too late to get him. Dude is still young and he is locked to a very cheap deal for this season and the next 2. They would ask a ton for him.

SA needs to find the next Barton/Middleton. A dude that was seen as a throw in and ended up as a nice player.

Chinook
02-12-2016, 09:55 AM
Here is a realistic trade:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=hu3qrpl

Aldridge for Horford and Korver.

McCallum gets waived.

Horford is smaller than Aldridge, but is a quicker player. Korver adds the Belinelli that the Spurs are missing.

Do think the Hawks would do that in a heartbeat. LMA is better than Horford and locked up. But there's no way I want Horford's next contract without having another big already locked up to play next to him. He's only appealing as a replacement for Tim the SL, not as a replacement for LMA or at the cost of Green.

DMC
02-12-2016, 10:37 AM
Right up our alley. Marco was done as well as was Boris.

We can rebuild him, we have the technology. We can make him better than he was.. better... stronger... faster..

Russ
02-12-2016, 11:00 AM
Right up our alley. Marco was done as well as was Boris.

We can rebuild him, we have the technology. We can make him better than he was.. better... stronger... faster..

Yep.

Speaking of Boris, could the Hawks waive Korver (in a Bud-Pop wink-wink deal) then the Spurs pick Korver up the way they did Boris?

Could that solve the cap problems?

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-12-2016, 11:11 AM
Yep.

Speaking of Boris, could the Hawks waive Korver (in a Bud-Pop wink-wink deal) then the Spurs pick Korver up the way they did Boris?

What's in it for Atlanta?

Mel_13
02-12-2016, 11:14 AM
Yep.

It would solve the cap problem, but there's absolutely no reason for Atlanta to do that. They're responsible not only for the remainder of this year's salary, but also the 5M+ that he's guaranteed for next season.

Chinook
02-12-2016, 11:23 AM
It would solve the cap problem, but there's absolutely no reason for Atlanta to do that. They're responsible not only for the remainder of this year's salary, but also the 5M+ that he's guaranteed for next season.

The wink-wink could be that Korver opts out of that salary with the understanding that the Spurs would pay him more next season. There are some issues with that, but it's not completely horrible. Illegal to have in writing, but not horrible.

Mel_13
02-12-2016, 11:44 AM
The wink-wink could be that Korver opts out of that salary with the understanding that the Spurs would pay him more next season. There are some issues with that, but it's not completely horrible. Illegal to have in writing, but not horrible.

I'm not aware that Korver has an option for that last year, but even if he did that is an extremely far fetched scenario.

Chinook
02-12-2016, 11:46 AM
I'm not aware that Korver has an option for that last year, but even if he did that is an extremely far fetched scenario.

I misspoke. I mean that he opts to make his final year completely non-guaranteed to facilitate the buyout. And yeah, it's far-fetched for a lot of reasons, not the least of which being that the Spurs probably couldn't pay Korve all that much next season.

Russ
02-12-2016, 12:38 PM
What's in it for Atlanta?

That's not the whole deal -- that's where the wink-wink comes in.

SAGirl
02-12-2016, 03:01 PM
No thanks, he's done. Trust in Patty and Green for playoffs, they will be ready.
^^^ If they could somehow get him, I do believe Pop would play him, but he's not worth all that would require to get him. He's looked done and he was already starting to slow down by the playoffs last season. One of the reasons ATL struggled. So no, I didn't want him either.

Spurs da champs
02-12-2016, 03:03 PM
I've never been a fan of Korver, noticed his shot disappears in the playoffs and when he's not hitting em, he's useless.

dbestpro
02-12-2016, 03:07 PM
Korver and Thabo for Green.

Chinook
02-12-2016, 03:46 PM
Korver and Thabo for Green.

Nope