PDA

View Full Version : The Admiral - Best Shaq Defender??

Thomas82
02-12-2016, 06:34 PM
Do you believe that David Robinson was the best player to ever defend Shaquille O'Neal? I remember The Admiral schooling Shaq period before his back went bad, but he especially owned him defensively.

Here's one example I could think of:

In March 1995, the Spurs made their one visit to Orlando to play the Magic. This was the Magic’s best season so far, and Shaq was
having an MVP-caliber season. The Spurs did lose this game, but it wasn’t because of The Admiral. Shaq scored 28 points, but on 10-24 shooting. The defense by The Admiral in this one was textbook. In fact, he only had one block that game – but the footwork, the physicality, the timing – you’ll never see a young Shaq look worse. It was an absolute clinic.

Even after his back injury, The Admiral still played pretty good D on Shaq. If I'm not mistaken, he was still able to hold a prime Shaq under his averages when they went at it. If you don't think he was the best defender of Shaq, then who do you think it was?

HarlemHeat37
02-12-2016, 07:21 PM
2004 Kobe was the greatest Shaq defender of all-time, tbh:lol

Thomas82
02-12-2016, 09:33 PM

Oh yeah, good point......LMBO

BillMc
02-12-2016, 09:38 PM
:lol

BSfromTX
02-12-2016, 11:22 PM
Most forget how Dave owned shaq for the majority of their matchups. That's why you will rarely hear shaq give David props... Meanwhile he will praise Hakeem and duncan, but that's mostly meant as a slight toward Dave

Thomas82
02-12-2016, 11:34 PM
Most forget how Dave owned shaq for the majority of their matchups. That's why you will rarely hear shaq give David props... Meanwhile he will praise Hakeem and duncan, but that's mostly meant as a slight toward Dave

Good point.

Russ
02-12-2016, 11:55 PM

I was at the All-Star Game in SA in '96 and Shaq just killed D Rob. Just abused him in front of the home town crowd.

It was embarrassing.

Dave did not own Shaq by any stretch (and I'm a big D Rob fan).

T Park
02-13-2016, 01:08 AM
Robinson owned Shaq in his Orlando years. However thins changed when Robinson got injured in 97. Was never the same after that. Guarded him well, but still didn't stand much of a chance.

aal04
02-13-2016, 03:14 AM
Chris Dudley got Shaq so frustrated Shaq got a tech.

Thats pretty brutal

azarel
02-13-2016, 04:05 AM
Robinson owned Shaq in his Orlando years. However thins changed when Robinson got injured in 97. Was never the same after that. Guarded him well, but still didn't stand much of a chance.

agree. after Dave's back injury he was never the same. but before that Dave schooled Shaq during his orlando days. I think Shaq is still sore over the fact that D Rob 'stole' the scoring title from him right at the very end of the regular season with that 71 pt outburst against clippers.

TDomination
02-13-2016, 08:46 AM
I was at the All-Star Game in SA in '96 and Shaq just killed D Rob. Just abused him in front of the home town crowd.

It was embarrassing.

I don't remember much about their history against each other but an All-Star game is not a good example of one owning the other. Especially when defense is played at 50%

Harry Callahan
02-13-2016, 08:53 AM
David's back and foot problems can in part be attributed to the cheap shots and resulting knee injuries caused by Karl Malone with his elbow swinging crap. The compensation for the aching knees caused the eventual back issues.

I'm very pleased that Karl never ringed. The Mailman doesn't always deliver.

Thomas82
02-13-2016, 09:14 AM
David's back and foot problems can in part be attributed to the cheap shots and resulting knee injuries caused by Karl Malone with his elbow swinging crap. The compensation for the aching knees caused the eventual back issues.

I think the hernia contributed to the back problems as well.

Horse
02-13-2016, 11:23 AM

Malone always got away with murder fuck that piece of shit.

BatManu20
02-13-2016, 12:02 PM

:lol

BatManu20
02-13-2016, 12:03 PM
Todd MacCulloch tbh.

ajh18
02-13-2016, 01:15 PM

It was embarrassing.

I was at that game too and this is just plain false.

If I remember right, David didn't even start that game and Shaq did. David finished with 18-11-2 (leading the West), while Shaq was at 25-10-2. I think Shaq had a couple dunks on David that game, but that's hardly "abusing" him, Shaq dunked on everyone and Dave was one of the few willing to actually challenge him when he got deep in the paint. Also, David is one of the only guys I ever saw flat out reject a Shaq dunk attempt.

Shaq was always insecure about Dave because he thought he should be SA's favorite son, and everyone preferred the Admiral. He never understood the appeal David held to San Antonio, and always tried to "make a statement" as a result. But I agree, David beat Shaq frequently head to head prior to the injuries in the late 90's.

Spurtacular
02-13-2016, 01:23 PM
I actually thought Vlade did a great job of guarding Shaq in those Kings-Lakers match-ups. Shaq may have had some big numbers in some games; but he really flustered him at times; really contained him at times. He would guard him straight up one v one for the majority of games and force him into a lot of bad shots. Were it not for the ref bailing Shaq out with phony calls to bench him....

Russ
02-13-2016, 03:42 PM
I actually thought Vlade did a great job of guarding Shaq in those Kings-Lakers match-ups. Shaq may have had some big numbers in some games; but he really flustered him at times; really contained him at times. He would guard him straight up one v one for the majority of games and force him into a lot of bad shots. Were it not for the ref bailing Shaq out with phony calls to bench him....

Malik Rose was probably the best Spur on Shaq in his prime (especially in '99).

Malik alternated fronting Shaq and then playing behind him and sneaking around to steal the ball.

barakz21
02-13-2016, 04:01 PM

Malik alternated fronting Shaq and then playing behind him and sneaking around to steal the ball.

I agree, Malik was a very good defender on Shaq. Given the size difference, he played very good D on Shaq. I just noticed though, how come nobody ever mentioned Big Ben??? Dude was the only one i saw that could hold Shaq down one on one. To make things worse, he also had Sheed ready to back him up.

daslicer
02-13-2016, 04:27 PM
I agree, Malik was a very good defender on Shaq. Given the size difference, he played very good D on Shaq. I just noticed though, how come nobody ever mentioned Big Ben??? Dude was the only one i saw that could hold Shaq down one on one. To make things worse, he also had Sheed ready to back him up.

Elden Campbell was also a great defender on Shaq. He was big for the Piston's in '04 and '05 against Shaq. Elden was built like a truck and one of the few guys Shaq couldn't muscle down low in the post.

Horse
02-13-2016, 04:38 PM
Early on Antoine Carr did a great job. Seemed shaq was more bothered by strong stocky as opposed to tall

tuncaboylu
02-13-2016, 05:17 PM
Noone could defend Shaq, he was the cheat of the game. Was Robinson the best against him? Hell no. HE was not the best Spurs defender against Shaq.

I don't know too many of you remember him, but Mark Bryant was the best defender against Shaq. The only year that Shaq didn't killed us was 2002, but Kobe did it that year.

Beaverfuzz
02-13-2016, 05:54 PM

Never on Sunday's.

Beaverfuzz
02-13-2016, 05:55 PM
Todd MacCulloch tbh.

Kurt Rambis

Kawhitstorm
02-13-2016, 06:38 PM

Malik drew a couple of offensive fouls on Snack that pissed him off in 2003.:lol Rasho was the WORST Shaq defender & got his lunch eaten on BOTH ends.:bang

ajh18
02-13-2016, 06:44 PM
Noone could defend Shaq, he was the cheat of the game. Was Robinson the best against him? Hell no. HE was not the best Spurs defender against Shaq.

I don't know too many of you remember him, but Mark Bryant was the best defender against Shaq. The only year that Shaq didn't killed us was 2002, but Kobe did it that year.

A lot of posters here thinking of the 3-peat Lakers days when Robinson's body was breaking/had broken down. Robinson did well against Shaq in the 90s before his injuries, much better than Malik ever did in the 2000s.

That said, I agree that league-wide, Shaq (even said on tonight's broadcast) that he struggled most with shorter, strong guys. I think he said Rick Mahorn was the toughest for him? Couldn't quite here that part of the broadcast.

Kawhitstorm
02-13-2016, 07:13 PM
I think Shaq had a couple dunks on David that game, but that's hardly "abusing" him, Shaq dunked on everyone and Dave was one of the few willing to actually challenge him when he got deep in the paint.

http://ballislife.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/shaq-vs-robinson-allstar.jpg

Also, David is one of the only guys I ever saw flat out reject a Shaq dunk attempt.

http://www.nba.com/media/poy06_bwallace_600px.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/121/296493703_b264fff96d.jpg

XiZPMxAYGh8

AEIj41qHjuQ

Kawhitstorm
02-13-2016, 07:24 PM
Alonzo Mourning was the only center to outplay Shaq TWICE during the '99-'00 season when Shaq won the MVP. Mourning had come into his own b/w '98-'00 (top 3 MVP candidate & back-to-back DPOY) but they didn't face each other in '98-'99 because of the lockout. Mourning got diagnosed with the kidney aliment early during the '00-'01 season & that was all she wrote.

- http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200003200MIA.html
- http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200003050LAL.html

Vito Corleone
02-13-2016, 08:01 PM
David owned Shaq, right up until about the year 2000. After that it was all Shaq.

hitmanyr2k
02-13-2016, 08:28 PM

It was embarrassing.

The funny thing is David Robinson laughed at Hakeem (10:07 mark) when he got dunked on by Shaq in the '94 all-star game.

BlOCXLt-9DU

And then a couple of years later he got a taste :lol

ztvmf228wvQ