PDA

View Full Version : NBA: The judges scoring the entire dunk contest was an immense step in the right direction

UNT Eagles 2016
02-13-2016, 11:56 PM
Helped out the dunk contest infinitely... returning to the good old ways... the stupid fan voting in the final rounds in the 2008-2014 era was an atrocious mistake, but

the contest still needs work... at least 1 star has to participate, there needs to be more structure... you get a 40 or 45 or even 60 (maximum) second shot clock and 2 spare dunk attempts (not counting aborted attempts, but actual shots at the rim) per dunk to complete your dunk. The maximum score for a missed dunk (after using all your spares) or clock violation should be 5 per judge and 25 points overall. And add a third dunk to the final round before any tie-breaking.

Tonight was a step in the right direction, between the improved 3-point contest, skills contest and judge voting in the dunk contest, and the revitalized interest in the players (which is what we want to see) instead of the charity (which is boring to us) -- the NBA got it right this year, but a few things could use tweaking. I prefer having a 3 round three point shootout, thus taking the top 4 out of 8, then the top 2 out of 3, etc. Shoot-off rules still apply. I don't mind the money ball rack dynamism except it kind of skews historical stats, I think if they keep the money ball rack they should take the money balls away from the ends of the other racks, so we'll have the same money balls as we've always historically had.

apalisoc_9
02-13-2016, 11:59 PM
yeah its fine..So long as they don't ever hird Gervin, Tmac or Mutombo ever again,.

Venti Quattro
02-14-2016, 12:00 AM
Blake and Paul George need to join

UNT Eagles 2016
02-14-2016, 12:02 AM
Blake and Paul George need to join
Blake is bad PR for now and injured,

Not sure PG isn't terrified about breaking his leg again but I'd like him in the dunk contest... only scrubs that should be allowed to participate are guys like lavine and gordon tbh... I'd pick those 2 and then 2 out of 4 of George, Westbrook, Durant, and Harden for next year.

UNT Eagles 2016
02-14-2016, 12:03 AM
yeah its fine..So long as they don't ever hird Gervin, Tmac or Mutombo ever again,.
They were too easy, especially T-mac and Deke. Shaq was easily the best judge there and stuck to his guns. I always liked Dominique and Dr. J as dunk contest judges

Venti Quattro
02-14-2016, 12:13 AM
Blake is bad PR for now and injured,

Fans are fickle with this kind of shit. Once he gets a good dunk in, everyone will forget that he punched an equipment manager

gambit1990
02-14-2016, 12:23 AM
charles should be a judge. he was on the money about who deserves what score more than anyone else.

or what about by audience applause? they measure the applause for the dunk AND they measure the applause for the FIRST slow motion replay they show then divide by two and that's the score for one dunk. aaron gordan's nastiest dunk got the loudest applaud imo

UNT Eagles 2016
02-14-2016, 12:51 AM
charles should be a judge. he was on the money about who deserves what score more than anyone else.

or what about by audience applause? they measure the applause for the dunk AND they measure the applause for the FIRST slow motion replay they show then divide by two and that's the score for one dunk. aaron gordan's nastiest dunk got the loudest applaud imo

Smart

Stupid

Giving scores based on applause is fucking stupid, taken from the idea of having fans vote in the first place. It gives bigger names/market players the advantage and you have to remember, 80% of the crowd probably consists of idiot casuals that don't know basketball.

gambit1990
02-14-2016, 01:07 AM
Giving scores based on applause is fucking stupid, taken from the idea of having fans vote in the first place. It gives bigger names/market players the advantage
:rollin
right, cause the two finalist were both big names :lol

and you have to remember, 80% of the crowd probably consists of idiot casuals that don't know basketball.
where'd you get that stat from? :lol
they aren't judging the game of basketball, they're judging an event where you can travel with the ball :lol

watch the dunks again and listen to the crowd. they got it A LOT more right than the judges. this was the loudest they were:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49REfDBUQEY

TDMVPDPOY
02-14-2016, 01:26 AM
fkn shit comp man, most of lavines dunks arent even fully stretch....