PDA

View Full Version : Who wins in 2000 if Timmy is healthy?

Horse
02-16-2016, 01:37 PM
Certainly they beat phoenix but how far do they go? We would be confident having swept the lakers and Portland the year before and how much confidence did la gain getting through Portland in 7 games and winning shaq and kobes first title.

Galileo
02-16-2016, 02:05 PM
Spurs win it all in 2000, 2004, 2006, and 2011 if Duncan is 100% healthy.

lefty
02-16-2016, 02:21 PM
Lakers tbh

Spurs Brazil
02-16-2016, 02:27 PM
Lakers. Elliott was just coming back and Elie/Jackson had a terrible season

keeferob25
02-16-2016, 02:56 PM
Either lakers or Portland beat us that year. Perimeter players just weren't good enough. Lakers added QUALITY depth and experience and a coach that could and did see them through each tough scenario they faced. Plus Pop has rarely out-coached Phil. Portland likewise was deeper than us and blew us out in the regular season twice. Wallace's defensive length, iq, and positioning has ALWAYS bothered Duncan and lessened his efficiency which is what the spurs (over)relied on in 99 and 2000. To me they prove good enough to "contain" Duncan enough to where Portlands depth gives them the advantage.

SpursFan86
02-16-2016, 03:02 PM
Nah, don't see us getting through both Portland and LA. Maybe one, but not both.

slick'81
02-16-2016, 04:56 PM
Lakers but it would of been fun to see

Budkin
02-16-2016, 05:00 PM
I would have been more scared of the Blazers that year. They were still pissed from getting swept the previous year, and in all honesty should have beaten LA in that Game 7 (it took a choke of massive proportions to lose). Agreed though that we probably don't beat both of them.

baseline bum
02-16-2016, 05:06 PM
I think the Spurs would have beaten that Lakers team with Rice getting Fox's minutes, but they would have gotten their teeth kicked in by Portland in the WCF.

daslicer
02-16-2016, 07:22 PM
Certainly they beat phoenix but how far do they go? We would be confident having swept the lakers and Portland the year before and how much confidence did la gain getting through Portland in 7 games and winning shaq and kobes first title.
Spurs would have taken out the Lakers in '00 again considering it was evident during the regular season the Spurs were still in their heads. Spurs won the regular season series 3-1 and even won a game without Tim Duncan against them. Spurs had a huge mental edge against them at the time. The Lakers back then were mentally on the same level as the current CP3-Blake Clippers. They had the talent but didn't have the mental strength to put it together in tough situations in the playoffs hence them losing to the Jazz in '97 and 98 and then the Spurs in '99. They also had confidence issues in the 2000 playoffs when they blew series leads against the Kings and Blazers and were pushed to max in those series. After winning the title '00 the Lakers got over the mental block that had held them back the previous few years and that's why they were difficult to beat.

Horse
02-16-2016, 07:30 PM
That's why I think we could've beat them they didn't have that belief yet.

LkrFan
02-16-2016, 07:44 PM
Lakers is 4 tbh.

daslicer
02-16-2016, 08:52 PM
That's why I think we could've beat them they didn't have that belief yet.

Yeah pretty much it's similar to the Warriors current situation. I felt last year the Spurs would have taken them out because they didn't have the confidence yet to be champions evident with their struggles against the Grizzlies and the Cavs. This year however they are mentally stronger due to last year's experience and thus harder to beat. Winning a title does wonders for a team's psyche.

Russ
02-16-2016, 09:52 PM
Lakers is 4 tbh.

Actually, Lakers is 5 tbh . . .

(And likely will stay there.)

Kawhitstorm
02-16-2016, 10:59 PM

Tim was healthy in 2004 & dominated the Mavs in 2006 despite being gimpy.
-In 2004, Hedo choked & Rasho was fuckin' useless.
-In 2006, ROOKIE Devin Harris gave Porker all he could handle for most of the series otherwise the games wouldn't have been so close.

Kawhitstorm
02-16-2016, 11:01 PM
Lakers. Elliott was just coming back and Elie/Jackson had a terrible season

Basically & folks also forget that the Suns didn't have Kidd when they beat the Spurs 3-1 in the 1st rd without homecourt. It was post-injury Penny that was leading the Suns.:lol

Kawhitstorm
02-16-2016, 11:05 PM
I would have been more scared of the Blazers that year. They were still pissed from getting swept the previous year, and in all honesty should have beaten LA in that Game 7 (it took a choke of massive proportions to lose). Agreed though that we probably don't beat both of them.

The Lakers were up 3-1 in that series just like the Mavs in 2006, it would have been an epic choke job by MVP Shaq if the Blazers had held them off in the 4th quarter ala the Cripples/Rockets series except in the conference finals.:lol

BSfromTX
02-16-2016, 11:32 PM
Big rule changes around that time kept Ellie and Jackson from being physical on the perimeter... They didn't have the foot speed AT ALL to guard anyone which is what prompted Pop to go after Bowen. Spurs would not have won it I'm afraid

ViceCity86
02-16-2016, 11:40 PM
Lakers and Blazers were superior to the Spurs that year just like Kings and Spurs were superior teams compare to the Spurs in 2002.Post 1999 early 2000s Spurs teams were not that good.Those teams would be 1st round fodder in the current NBA,especially in the West.

Late 90s early 2000s NBA :lol

Galileo
02-17-2016, 12:08 AM
Tim was healthy in 2004 & dominated the Mavs in 2006 despite being gimpy.
-In 2004, Hedo choked & Rasho was fuckin' useless.
-In 2006, ROOKIE Devin Harris gave Porker all he could handle for most of the series otherwise the games wouldn't have been so close.

I don't think Tim was 100% in 2004. In 2006, Tim dominated but would have dominated even more had he been healthy and not run out of gas in OT in game 7.

DMC
02-17-2016, 12:18 AM
Every time I look at the scores it's the Lakers. For some reason 2000 can't be redone.

Kawhitstorm
02-17-2016, 01:28 AM
Lakers and Blazers were superior to the Spurs that year just like Kings and Spurs were superior teams compare to the Spurs in 2002.Post 1999 early 2000s Spurs teams were not that good.Those teams would be 1st round fodder in the current NBA,especially in the West.

Late 90s early 2000s NBA :lol

How in the hell would the '99 Spurs be a 1st round fodder when the Grizz made it to the WCF in 2013 (could have been 3 times if they didn't lose two 7 game series to OKC: 2011/2014) & were up 2-1 against the Worriers last season.:lol

'99 Tim/Admiral were basically a beast mode version of Z-Bo/Gasol & Mario Ellie could actually hit open shots unlike Tony Allen but you were probably in diapers in '99.:lol

J_Paco
02-17-2016, 01:47 AM
How in the hell would the '99 Spurs be a 1st round fodder when the Grizz made it to the WCF in 2013 (could have been 3 times if they didn't lose two 7 game series to OKC: 2011/2014) & were up 2-1 against the Worriers last season.:lol

'99 Tim/Admiral were basically a beast mode version of Z-Bo/Gasol & Mario Ellie could actually hit open shots unlike Tony Allen but you were probably in diapers in '99.:lol

The guy is a goof, cause apparently the 2002 Spurs were better than themselves. D - ooh!

I think he meant that the Lakers and Kings were better than the Spurs in 2001 and 2002 which was pretty much true. Those teams were just too slow and unathletic on the perimeter to contend. When you are trotting out an over the hill, but a guy I loved, Terry Porter then buddy you are fucked.

baseline bum
02-17-2016, 02:04 AM
That 2000 Lakers team was primed to be upset. Rice was next to worthless and they were starting AC Green. They weren't nearly the juggernaut of the 2001 team where Fox and Fisher in the starting lineup made them monsters defensively. They had a great regular season but the Spurs still matched up pretty well with them. Robinson was a better player in 2000 than 2001, and Porter was a much better player in 2000. Kersey at the 3 was a huge weak spot but it's not like Phil Jackson was going to start running plays for Rice, who he never wanted there but who remained because of Jerry West's stubbornness. And 2000 Kobe was nowhere close to 2001 Kobe. I think a healthy Spurs takes the 2000 Lakers in 6, that team was built to beat teams like that. But 2001 Kobe and Phil Jackson getting his way with a defensive minded roster completely flipped the script the next year. Plus Derek Anderson and Antonio Daniels guarding 2001 Kobe. :lol

daslicer
02-17-2016, 02:17 AM
That 2000 Lakers team was primed to be upset. Rice was next to worthless and they were starting AC Green. They weren't nearly the juggernaut of the 2001 team where Fox and Fisher in the starting lineup made them monsters defensively. They had a great regular season but the Spurs still matched up pretty well with them. Robinson was a better player in 2000 than 2001, and Porter was a much better player in 2000. Kersey at the 3 was a huge weak spot but it's not like Phil Jackson was going to start running plays for Rice, who he never wanted there but who remained because of Jerry West's stubbornness. And 2000 Kobe was nowhere close to 2001 Kobe. I think a healthy Spurs takes the 2000 Lakers in 6, that team was built to beat teams like that. But 2001 Kobe and Phil Jackson getting his way with a defensive minded roster completely flipped the script the next year. Plus Derek Anderson and Antonio Daniels guarding 2001 Kobe. :lol

Pretty much the same thought I had about the '00 Lakers. Also the '01 team added Horace Grant who was a huge upgrade over AC Green. I felt Fisher also took his game to the next level in the '01 playoffs. Prior to '01 Fisher was shitty shooter who wasn't much of a factor come playoff time. I'll never forget him shooting 75 percent from 3 point range in the '01 WCF. That to me was more shocking than Kobe going off. I have never seen a role player go from being a fringe D-league talent to a key contributor in a span of a year like Fisher did from '00 to '01.

baseline bum
02-17-2016, 02:33 AM
Pretty much the same thought I had about the '00 Lakers. Also the '01 team added Horace Grant who was a huge upgrade over AC Green. I felt Fisher also took his game to the next level in the '01 playoffs. Prior to '01 Fisher was shitty shooter who wasn't much of a factor come playoff time. I'll never forget him shooting 75 percent from 3 point range in the '01 WCF. That to me was more shocking than Kobe going off. I have never seen a role player go from being a fringe D-league talent to a key contributor in a span of a year like Fisher did from '00 to '01.

I remember in the summer of 99 hearing David Aldridge say the Spurs were about to sign Fisher, and all I could think is who wants that faggot when they already have Daniels to groom to take over AJ's starting job. :lol

Kawhitstorm
02-17-2016, 03:28 AM
That 2000 Lakers team was primed to be upset. Rice was next to worthless and they were starting AC Green. They weren't nearly the juggernaut of the 2001 team where Fox and Fisher in the starting lineup made them monsters defensively.

Maybe you meant Horry b/c Fisher was Patty status (bigger but slower) on defense :lol & it was Lue that was the defensive stopper. Fisher took charges & hustled but that was about it. He was also in the starting lineup in '99. The weird thing about the '99 series was Kurt Rambis putting Fox on Tim.:lmao

What transformed their defense from '99 to '00 (had the #1 rated defense) was Shaq/Kobe committing themselves to playing defense (after Phil challenged them) along with Ron Harper playing major minutes & AC Green replacing JR Reid. Otherwise, Fisher was CoJo status during the 2000 playoff run (Shaw was playing the Patty role) along with Fox playing behind Rice.

During the 2001 playoff run, their role players made teams pay for doubling Shaq like the 2-peat Rockets which was what made them lethal.

Sean Cagney
02-17-2016, 04:31 AM

I am a Spurs fan like you but his 2006 series he played against Dallas in 06 was one of his best ever whether plantar or not he blacked out and his numbers were insane but they still lost. I dont think he was hurt in 04 and in 011 he looked flat out done until he got in shape in the offseason. The 2011 team was not that great anyways and were more of a big gimmick type Offense, plus no Kawhi yet and Rj on the team (Manu hurt too killed any shot).

Sean Cagney
02-17-2016, 04:39 AM
I don't think Tim was 100% in 2004. In 2006, Tim dominated but would have dominated even more had he been healthy and not run out of gas in OT in game 7.

So your guessing he was hurt in 04??? Nobody ever said or came out and said he was hurt that year.

davi78239
02-17-2016, 10:30 AM
Didn't we come close to getting Lamond Murray or DA for AJ in 2000? Also, I remember us being in rumors for Glen Rice that same season before deadline.

Maddog
02-17-2016, 12:31 PM
Big rule changes around that time kept Ellie and Jackson from being physical on the perimeter... They didn't have the foot speed AT ALL to guard anyone which is what prompted Pop to go after Bowen. Spurs would not have won it I'm afraid

Didn't we come close to getting Lamond Murray or DA for AJ in 2000? Also, I remember us being in rumors for Glen Rice that same season before deadline.

I strongly doubt they would have gotten past both Lakers and Blazers. The handcheck rule was changed after 99, which pretty much sunk Ellie and Jackson. It hurt AJ who was also getting up there in years. Also Ellie was at the tail end of his career and Jackson signed an extension and showed up way out of shape. The Spurs had no true small forward, until Elliott returned. They reached a verbal agreement with Murray in the off season and he did a Deandre Jordan and signed with another team for more money.

Horse
02-17-2016, 01:21 PM
04 was the clock bullshit, 06 Manu let them off the hook,'11 Manu had a broken arm and basically anytime the lakers won was due mainly to phil bitching in the post game and changing the way the games were called. Usually the same old shit, series starts and Tony is getting to the basket at will or getting fouled. Bitch phil starts his shit all the sudden Tony gets no calls and the lakers are breaking the other way. He did the same shit with the bulls.

TheDoctor
02-17-2016, 01:27 PM
...They reached a verbal agreement with Murray in the off season and he did a Deandre Jordan and signed with another team for more money.

He signed with Cleveland.

TDfan2007
02-17-2016, 02:55 PM
2000 Spurs were probably the weakest team of the prime Timmy era, so the Lakers would still probably have won that year. Our backcourt and bench were just atrocious that year.

02-17-2016, 02:58 PM
Who cares, Lakers rang

Sean Cagney
02-17-2016, 03:35 PM
2000 Spurs were probably the weakest team of the prime Timmy era, so the Lakers would still probably have won that year. Our backcourt and bench were just atrocious that year.

I think the 2002 team takes that cake being D Rob was much older and they started some scrubs that year in his place and had a god awful guard rotation (Tony was only 19 then) to back that up. 2000 Spurs though I agree on, no way they win the title that year healthy or not but it sure would have been fun to see it played out. I think Portland was the best team that year but they dropped the ball.

Budkin
02-18-2016, 02:26 PM
I think the 2002 team takes that cake being D Rob was much older and they started some scrubs that year in his place and had a god awful guard rotation (Tony was only 19 then) to back that up. 2000 Spurs though I agree on, no way they win the title that year healthy or not but it sure would have been fun to see it played out. I think Portland was the best team that year but they dropped the ball.

Agreed. :lol starting a washed up Terry Porter.

UNT Eagles 2016
02-18-2016, 02:52 PM
Blazers. We beat Phoenix, take LA to 7 and they're worn out pretty badly for the next series tbh.

UNT Eagles 2016
02-18-2016, 02:53 PM
04 was the clock bullshit, 06 Manu let them off the hook,'11 Manu had a broken arm and basically anytime the lakers won was due mainly to phil bitching in the post game and changing the way the games were called. Usually the same old shit, series starts and Tony is getting to the basket at will or getting fouled. Bitch phil starts his shit all the sudden Tony gets no calls and the lakers are breaking the other way. He did the same shit with the bulls.
Agreed phil is a passive aggressive pussycunt

Sean Cagney
02-18-2016, 04:01 PM

I think Mark Bryant started playoff games and Cherokee Parks got mins too for Gods sakes :lol

TDfan2007
02-18-2016, 04:57 PM

Honestly, none of those 2000-2002 teams were THAT good. David still had juice in the tank in 2000 and 2001, but that backcourt...yikes. IIRC Ferry and Terry Porter started for us in the playoffs in 2001 :lol

The 2002 team was basically Tim and friends. David's back issues became really problematic that year and he missed a lot of games. Asking him to guard Shaq was just too much. There were many times where Timmy was forced to guard Shaq in 2001 and 2002 because of David's health/foul trouble.

But yeah, the more I think about it the 2002 team was probably the worst of Timmy's prime.

Horse
02-18-2016, 05:34 PM
Agreed phil is a passive aggressive pussycunt
That's why I hate that prick

Kawhitstorm
02-18-2016, 05:39 PM
I am a Spurs fan like you but his 2006 series he played against Dallas in 06 was one of his best ever whether plantar or not he blacked out and his numbers were insane but they still lost. I dont think he was hurt in 04 and in 011 he looked flat out done until he got in shape in the offseason. The 2011 team was not that great anyways and were more of a big gimmick type Offense, plus no Kawhi yet and Rj on the team (Manu hurt too killed any shot).

Spurs lost to the Mavs in 2006 b/c ROOKIE Devin Harris dug into All-Star Porker's ass on BOTH ends to the point Porker said he was "glad" that Devin Harris got traded to the Nytes.:lol

Sean Cagney
02-18-2016, 08:28 PM
Spurs lost to the Mavs in 2006 b/c ROOKIE Devin Harris dug into All-Star Porker's ass on BOTH ends to the point Porker said he was "glad" that Devin Harris got traded to the Nytes.:lol
Harris blacked out in that series and was able to match Parker. I agree Tim was farrr from the reason they lost
and Manus foul aside him and Finley played great ball.

Blackjack
02-18-2016, 10:05 PM
'06 was a joke. SAC-LA seems to be the series everyone remembers as the most poorly/rigged officiating they can recall, but it wasn't any worse than SAS-DAL, IMO.

Game 6 - how does a jumpshooting team/player get that free-throw disparity? Spurs shot a ridiculous percentage from the floor, Dallas made only a few buckets - and one came late from Dampier. :lol

'06 and '13 are the only years I really felt the Spurs left championships on the table.

UNT Eagles 2016
02-18-2016, 11:12 PM
Harris blacked out in that series and was able to match Parker. I agree Tim was farrr from the reason they lost
and Manus foul aside him and Finley played great ball.

POOP was the reason we lost that series, not Tim or Manu or Parker. 4 guard lineups + Tim or Horry, :lmao

Sean Cagney
02-18-2016, 11:46 PM
POOP was the reason we lost that series, not Tim or Manu or Parker. 4 guard lineups + Tim or Horry, :lmao

Refs I would throw in there as well some games and I agree it was not a player who lost it. WTF Pop was thinking I still have no clue to this day man. He outsmarts himself at times.