PDA

View Full Version : Nets Offer Sean Marks GM Position

BatManu20
02-16-2016, 10:37 PM
Prokhorov really does love the Spurs. Might take Messina with him.

TheGreatYacht
02-16-2016, 10:42 PM

Take this guy with you Sean

Mel_13
02-16-2016, 10:44 PM
Congrats to Sean. Pop is the Godfather of the NBA.

YGWHI
02-16-2016, 10:51 PM
Good for Sean :toast

loveforthegame
02-16-2016, 10:56 PM
Good for Sean. :tu

Dex
02-16-2016, 10:56 PM
Loved Marks ever since his player days. Sometimes wondered if he was kept around for his acumen or just his locker room personality. Good to see him moving up in the league.

SpurPadre
02-16-2016, 11:00 PM
If the fucker insists on getting a Spur, why can't he ask for Bonner at least?

LakerHater
02-16-2016, 11:09 PM
Why dont these guys do the spurs a solid, like the way the Logo did for fLakers while he was in Memphis or Kevin McHale did for Boston while he was in Minnesota!?

All Mighty Janitor
02-16-2016, 11:11 PM
Is there any reason he wouldn't take this job? Not that I don't want him to benefit from the fruits of his labor; just curious.

Oh, yeah; would anybody be mad if Messina left? Seem's inevitable to me now that Pop's says he's stickin around till 2019 or so. Might as well fill his spot with a new candidate for head coach.

Mel_13
02-16-2016, 11:12 PM
Why dont these guys do the spurs a solid, like the way the Logo did for fLakers while he was in Memphis or Kevin McHale did for Boston while he was in Minnesota!?

Bud took Splitter to create the cap space for Aldridge.

daslicer
02-16-2016, 11:28 PM
Is there any reason he wouldn't take this job? Not that I don't want him to benefit from the fruits of his labor; just curious.

Oh, yeah; would anybody be mad if Messina left? Seem's inevitable to me now that Pop's says he's stickin around till 2019 or so. Might as well fill his spot with a new candidate for head coach.

Messina is a great X's and O's guy but I don't see him becoming a great head coach in this league due to being a foreigner. These players are not going to respect him simply because he's not an American. They are simply that ignorant.

TheDoctor
02-16-2016, 11:29 PM
1) Is there any reason he wouldn't take this job?

2) Oh, yeah; would anybody be mad if Messina left?

None to both really tbh tbqh tbqhwyt fam.

1) We got RC

2) We got Becky/Udoka

Old School 44
02-17-2016, 12:23 AM
Congrats to Sean! I actually met him and his wife at a non Spurs related event when he first came to the Spurs as a player. Super nice guy!

In making small talk, I asked how he liked San Antonio and playing for the Spurs. He said he loved it. Without any more prompting/questions, he just talked about how professional and friendly everyone was and how it all starts with Pop. When I heard years later he was coming back to work for the Spurs, it made me think of that brief conversation. Sean and Pop must have really hit it off.

DMC
02-17-2016, 12:24 AM
Bud took Splitter to create the cap space for Aldridge.
The entire league is nothing but a shell game. They give the illusion they are competing against each other but after the act is over they all ride home on the same bus.

SPURt
02-17-2016, 12:31 AM

Post-op Manu is not nearly as confident

BatManu20
02-17-2016, 12:46 AM
Post-op Manu is not nearly as confident

It's almost as if he's missing his balls.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-17-2016, 01:04 AM
I'm not sure the job that will be needed in Brooklyn would be appropriate for a rookie GM, but apparently Sean is very highly rated. Good luck to him.

Wonder who the Spurs would look to replace him with.

Nathan89
02-17-2016, 02:08 AM
A spot just opened up for the great Bonner.

SAGirl
02-17-2016, 02:12 AM

Usually you are trolling, but I have to comment on this. First Pop's admiration for GSW and his admission that he's thought of them more than any other team in his career. Also, his admission that they are unsolvable.

Now Manu publicly admitting that he doesn't known how they can be beaten. I mean, is this not equal to the Jordan's Bulls? Teams giving up b4 there is even a contest.

TBH I don't know if they can be beaten bc they will expose your flaws. All of our guys who can't defend Wil be exposed. And on the other end you cannot stop then and if their roleplayers are having a bad night, Curry will take care of business. When the roleplayers are rolling its a blowout.

Statements like that from Manu also make me think it is their last season (Timmy bc the knee, Manu bc a young Manu would not be intimidated by anyone. No one would seem unbeatable. A difficult opponent yes, but invincible? No.)

baseline bum
02-17-2016, 02:39 AM
Congrats Kiwi! I hope Messina can finish out the year here before going to Brooklyn though if he's their target.

houston spurs fan
02-17-2016, 02:47 AM
Usually you are trolling, but I have to comment on this. First Pop's admiration for GSW and his admission that he's thought of them more than any other team in his career. Also, his admission that they are unsolvable.

Now Manu publicly admitting that he doesn't known how they can be beaten. I mean, is this not equal to the Jordan's Bulls? Teams giving up b4 there is even a contest.

TBH I don't know if they can be beaten bc they will expose your flaws. All of our guys who can't defend Wil be exposed. And on the other end you cannot stop then and if their roleplayers are having a bad night, Curry will take care of business. When the roleplayers are rolling its a blowout.

Statements like that from Manu also make me think it is their last season (Timmy bc the knee, Manu bc a young Manu would not be intimidated by anyone. No one would seem unbeatable. A difficult opponent yes, but invincible? No.)
What is the context? Manu is an emotional guy, maybe this in an excerpt from a much more lengthy discussion...

daslicer
02-17-2016, 03:06 AM

You guys are acting way too emotional over that exert and it shows most of you guys lack good reading comprehension skills. If you read the whole entire thing Manu says right now they look unbeatable but he's not going to worry about them until the playoffs and the spurs will try to figure out a way to beat them during the playoffs. He's implying that he doesn't give a shit about the regular season and that regular season wins or losses against the warriors don't mean anything.

All Mighty Janitor
02-17-2016, 03:17 AM
Congrats Kiwi! I hope Messina can finish out the year here before going to Brooklyn though if he's their target.
He said he wouldn't leave until the season was over.

Chinook
02-17-2016, 03:27 AM
Manu's always been honest. He doesn't know if the Spurs can win, but he wants to find out. Losing Marks would be great if he took Messina with him. They can have Borrego as well.

Brazil
02-17-2016, 06:29 AM
Manu's always been honest. He doesn't know if the Spurs can win, but he wants to find out. Losing Marks would be great if he took Messina with him. They can have Borrego as well.

agreed...

now let's imagine one sec this was TP's quote :lol this forum would go ballistic on his ass

CGD
02-17-2016, 07:09 AM
Their a new job opening for red rocket

TheDoctor
02-17-2016, 07:32 AM
You guys are acting way too emotional over that exert and it shows most of you guys lack good reading comprehension skills. If you read the whole entire thing Manu says right now they look unbeatable but he's not going to worry about them until the playoffs and the spurs will try to figure out a way to beat them during the playoffs. He's implying that he doesn't give a shit about the regular season and that regular season wins or losses against the warriors don't mean anything.

Yeah, when SAGirl isn't fantasying about Kyle HIS (because that's a troll account obviously) reading comprehension skills goes to shit.

Uriel
02-17-2016, 07:46 AM
Brooklyn needs to fuck the hell off.

Chinook
02-17-2016, 07:48 AM
Brooklyn needs to fuck the hell off.

I'm thinking that if this Marks thing happens, the Nets might be willing to use their cap space to take Diaw this summer. Should leave the Spurs with enough room to go after Splitter.

ceperez
02-17-2016, 07:59 AM
If Sean Marks takes the job (which I don't know why he wouldn't), he would at a minimum take in a San Antonio coach. That's what Nets owner wants, a GM and Coach combination in addition to that, an international spin. Likely candidate is Messina at this point. Although who knows if Udoka is in play or another Spurs coach that Marks has good rapport with. I'm not certain if Sean has developed good rapport with the older Messina.

In addition to coaches, Nets are likely to hire some Ex-Spurs players, people who have been in the system and can establish the culture.

KenziE
02-17-2016, 09:08 AM
The entire league is nothing but a shell game. They give the illusion they are competing against each other but after the act is over they all ride home on the same bus.

This

Mel_13
02-17-2016, 09:10 AM
I'm thinking that if this Marks thing happens, the Nets might be willing to use their cap space to take Diaw this summer. Should leave the Spurs with enough room to go after Splitter.

:lol

ceperez
02-17-2016, 09:44 AM

Manu and Sean are good buddies. Who knows if that's in the cards when Manu retires.

Anyway, the Manu interview tells you that PATFO is not about to figure out GSW until they actually need to figure it out!

BTW... current predictions of NBA champion:

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-nba-picks/

GSW - 50%
Spurs - 25%
Cavs - 10%
OKC - 5%

TheDoctor
02-17-2016, 10:22 AM
Anyway, the Manu interview tells you that PATFO is not about to figure out GSW until they actually need to figure it out!

Exactly. But these fuckers obsessed after Gino's and Pop's comments. Both, Manu and Pop are saying in their respective thinking/words that beating/solving the Golden Showers right now doesn't matter nor a priority; that it matters in May or June.

bic50
02-17-2016, 10:32 AM
:depressed
It would be dumb for marks to pass up this opportunity. Good for him.

benefactor
02-17-2016, 10:39 AM
:lol...well played

ElNono
02-17-2016, 11:33 AM
Sean should go for it... probably a good raise too...

ElNono
02-17-2016, 11:36 AM
agreed...

now let's imagine one sec this was TP's quote :lol this forum would go ballistic on his ass

:lol you don't need to take TP's quotes out of context to go ballistic on his ass, tbh... that's the main difference...

coachmac87
02-17-2016, 11:52 AM
If I'm Sean Marks I don't take the job. That job is set up for failure and its pretty much impossible situation to turn around. He's obviously the number #1 candidate in the league right now and I wouldn't ruin my resume by going to the worst franchise in sports.

I keep my eye on Houston, Atlanta and Sacramento Better jobs will open up sooner than later and I would just be patient.

BatManu20
02-17-2016, 12:06 PM
Marks is leaning towards NOT taking it. Nothing final yet.

RD2191
02-17-2016, 12:09 PM
If I'm Sean Marks I don't take the job. That job is set up for failure and its pretty much impossible situation to turn around. He's obviously the number #1 candidate in the league right now and I wouldn't ruin my resume by going to the worst franchise in sports.

I keep my eye on Houston, Atlanta and Sacramento Better jobs will open up sooner than later and I would just be patient.
Agreed

Cry Havoc
02-17-2016, 12:25 PM

I think it's the opposite, actually. The Spurs are trying to build up GS to make them look stronger than they are. Reverse psychology. Giving them absolutely no bulletin-board material to work with, just the admission that they've been playing out of this world.

It's really, really damn hard to do that for an entire season+playoffs. The playoffs are so different, and even though GSW won last year, everyone knows they weren't really tested. When a team comes along and really takes them out of their rhythm over the course of several games, we'll see how they respond.

spursistan
02-17-2016, 01:41 PM
I don't blame him..the job is a young GM graveyard, tbh..

TheDoctor
02-17-2016, 02:12 PM
Sean's taking a wise decision.

Everytime I hear/read someone's considering going to that shit-hole of a Franchise it sincerely hurts my heart. Unless it's Ryan Anderson or Zaza Pachulia.

Mel_13
02-17-2016, 02:27 PM

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
02-17-2016, 02:28 PM
Good for Marks. That means Bonner will be moving to the FO next year. He was a great candidate for the position. Looks like Messina will be heading out there. One thing the Spurs have created is great GMs.

TheDoctor
02-17-2016, 02:31 PM

Andy Vasquez is the latin Woj or nah?

Mel_13
02-17-2016, 02:35 PM
Andy Vasquez is the latin Woj or nah?

He's a Nets beat writer. They had an opening ceremony for their new training facility today. That was a direct quote from the owner.

Mel_13
02-17-2016, 02:38 PM
On Tuesday, Adrian Wojnarowski, the most reliable source of sources in the NBA, reported that Sean Marks has been offered the GM job by the Brooklyn Nets. On Wednesday, others reported that Marks may not accept the job. Later on Wednesday, Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov said he doesn't even know who Sean Marks is.

And we've come full circle!

Mikhail Prokhorov says the job was not offered to Sean Marks. #Nets
— Anthony Puccio (@APOOCH) February 17, 2016

When asked specifically about Sean Marks, Prokhorov said: "I have never heard this name before."
— Andy Vasquez (@andy_vasquez) February 17, 2016

Prokhorov also says he will stay in the states until the GM is decided. #Nets
— Anthony Puccio (@APOOCH) February 17, 2016

And, as the kids say, "it's lit."

Mr. Prokhorov has not heard of Marks, who is the assistant GM of the San Antonio Spurs, the league's most successful franchise over the last decade. Marks works for R.C. Buford, who is the GM of the Spurs and is also close friends with Sergey Kushchenko, who is on the Nets GM search committee.

Buckle up, everyone. Buckle. Up.

http://www.netsdaily.com/2016/2/17/11036342/mikhail-prokhorov-says-nets-didnt-offer-sean-marks-gm-job?utm_campaign=netsdaily&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Brazil
02-17-2016, 02:46 PM
:lol you don't need to take TP's quotes out of context to go ballistic on his ass, tbh... that's the main difference...

:rolleyes c'est ça... ben voyons

TheDoctor
02-17-2016, 02:47 PM
Butt hurt anyone? Kawhi turned down Prok's daughter too?

daledondale
02-17-2016, 02:55 PM
Butt hurt anyone? Kawhi turned down Prok's daughter too?

SAGirl
02-17-2016, 03:22 PM
I do know how to read. There was no context to this right here. It's a simple quote he posted. And I am saying you have to respect your opponent but never think you cannot beat them... although I have my own doubts about it TBH just find it strange that he would so readily admit to almost certain defeat. Hate to bring it up, but that shit is not what I want to hear from a team leader.

elemento
02-17-2016, 03:24 PM

No wonder Marks refused this shit franchise.They're a fucking joke.

DPG21920
02-17-2016, 03:26 PM
What a massive idiot Prok is. Laughing stock of an owner.

daslicer
02-17-2016, 03:27 PM
I do know how to read. There was no context to this right here. It's a simple quote he posted. And I am saying you have to respect your opponent but never think you cannot beat them... although I have my own doubts about it TBH just find it strange that he would so readily admit to almost certain defeat. Hate to bring it up, but that shit is not what I want to hear from a team leader.

Again you are proving my point that you lack reading comprehension skills. He clearly stated that they looked unbeatable right now but didn't say the spurs had no chance of beating them. Manu states in the article if you READ it that the spurs are not taking the regular season games seriously against the warriors and will find a way to deal with them come playoff time.

SAGirl
02-17-2016, 03:30 PM
Well if Marks was undecided the statement from the Nets just made his mind.
That was a bad situation he was getting into. Indeed he should wait for something better. So should Messina, who I have liked as well. I do think he's gone after this season, but not to the Nets.

SAGirl
02-17-2016, 03:37 PM
Again you are proving my point that you lack reading comprehension skills. He clearly stated that they looked unbeatable right now but didn't say the spurs had no chance of beating them. Manu states in the article if you READ it that the spurs are not taking the regular season games seriously against the warriors and will find a way to deal with them come playoff time.
I just read the quote. I comprehended the quote well enough. I didn't read the link last night though so that is your answer. The quote in itself shocked me and that was what I shared my reaction to the quote.

ElNono
02-17-2016, 04:07 PM
:rolleyes c'est ça... ben voyons

vérité bombe, peh

All Mighty Janitor
02-17-2016, 04:25 PM
This is why I asked about it earlier. Sure it's a job opening, but it's also a shitty situation with the Nets. This kind of insider info could just be jostling between both Marks and Prokhorov or it could be Prok being a little bitch cuz Sean turned him down. Hell, if Prokhorov is telling the truth the bigger story is that Woj was wrong :lol

daslicer
02-17-2016, 04:33 PM
I just read the quote. I comprehended the quote well enough. I didn't read the link last night though so that is your answer. The quote in itself shocked me and that was what I shared my reaction to the quote.

Well in the future don't be a sheep and read the whole entire exert when a quote is posted.

HarlemHeat37
02-17-2016, 05:16 PM

http://reactiongif.org/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/08/GIF-amazing-classic-funny-OMG-rap-rapper-shocked-stare-Supa-Hot-Fire-surprised-GIF.gif

baseline bum
02-17-2016, 05:19 PM

Sacramento has got to be the worst situation in the league. I can't imagine having the owner telling me to implement cherry picking.

BatManu20
02-17-2016, 05:25 PM

ChumpDumper
02-17-2016, 05:37 PM
He could just wait for a better team situation. I'm sure he would like to be a GM, but that's a crappy place to start.

BillMc
02-17-2016, 05:47 PM
He could just wait for a better team situation. I'm sure he would like to be a GM, but that's a crappy place to start.

The Nets can't give their money away...

SAGirl
02-17-2016, 08:32 PM
Well in the future don't be a sheep and read the whole entire exert when a quote is posted.
In the future I do whatever the heck I want. I reacted to a succint quote and you got so butthurt about it that you are wasting both our times with this.

coachmac87
02-17-2016, 08:45 PM
Sacramento has got to be the worst situation in the league. I can't imagine having the owner telling me to implement cherry picking.

It's a waaaaaaay better job then Brooklyn. You at least have Cousins as an moveable piece or you can build around him...Brooklyn has Brook Looez??

baseline bum
02-17-2016, 09:03 PM
It's a waaaaaaay better job then Brooklyn. You at least have Cousins as an moveable piece or you can build around him...Brooklyn has Brook Looez??

Crap I forgot Brooklyn's draft situation. :lol

Damn I hope Kiwi passes on that shit to run a real franchise.

spursistan
02-17-2016, 11:11 PM

It is not over, per Woj..

HarlemHeat37
02-17-2016, 11:20 PM
Too much softness in over-thinking this, tbh..

Sure, it's the worst job in basketball, right now(maybe in all of pro sports), but you'll be getting paid a nice salary and be given a chance to become a legend in the front office game..if not, you get fired, and you go back to being the irrelevant Sean Marks that nobody knew, anyways..

Prokhorov has been loyal, too, and hasn't meddled much..he has demonstrated that he's willing to give a long leash..maybe that will change after being hands-off and allowing the worst GM in the NBA to kill in his franchise, but we'll see..

YGWHI
02-18-2016, 12:52 AM

Sure, it's the worst job in basketball, right now(maybe in all of pro sports), but you'll be getting paid a nice salary and be given a chance to become a legend in the front office game..if not, you get fired, and you go back to being the irrelevant Sean Marks that nobody knew, anyways..

Prokhorov has been loyal, too, and hasn't meddled much..he has demonstrated that he's willing to give a long leash..maybe that will change after being hands-off and allowing the worst GM in the NBA to kill in his franchise, but we'll see..

If Sean gets fired it wouldn't be strange the Spurs hire him in next years but who can take the job after the owner said he didn't even know his name...

dabom
02-18-2016, 02:36 AM
Not even the Assistant Spurs GM taking the job. :lol

Come on Harlem. The job is is like taking a poison pill. Even RC can't make that work. All the big heads around him probable steered him away.

exstatic
02-18-2016, 08:02 AM

Prokhorov is the reason they traded all of their picks for old farts. He wanted a winning team immediately when they moved to the Barclay Center. Don't think he's not a meddler. He is.

Chinook
02-18-2016, 08:08 AM
Prokhorov is the reason they traded all of their picks for old farts. He wanted a winning team immediately when they moved to the Barclay Center. Don't think he's not a meddler. He is.

Billy King actually seemed like a half-way decent GM. They drafted pretty well when they got the change to use their picks, and most of his min-salary guys actually turned out okay. I do wonder what the team would have been like had Prokhorov not forced King to trade for all those vets. Some very good prospects have been part of those transactions.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-18-2016, 08:15 AM
Billy King actually seemed like a half-way decent GM. They drafted pretty well when they got the change to use their picks, and most of his min-salary guys actually turned out okay. I do wonder what the team would have been like had Prokhorov not forced King to trade for all those vets. Some very good prospects have been part of those transactions.

I disagree about Billy King, some of his trades ( Deron Williams, Gerald Wallace, Troy Murphy ) before the disastrous Boston one, have been nothing short of terrible. What draft picks were his? JaJuan Johnson? MarShon Brooks? Plumlee? Yikes.

TheDoctor
02-18-2016, 08:19 AM
If Sean gets fired it wouldn't be strange the Spurs hire him in next years but who can take the job after the owner said he didn't even know his name...

:lmao Maybe he was playing his "Pop card" deferring and shit? Establishing a "Family Business" in New York!

ceperez
02-18-2016, 08:26 AM

Although it is hard to determine what Marks current situation is a GM job isn't a job that is readily available. Furthermore, it is a job in a franchise that is able to pay top dollar.

Sure the Net franchise is a complete mess, but that's were the opportunity lies.

So folks reasoning that its a disaster of a situation and therefore should be avoided, IMHO absolutely flies against any real logic.

The Nets owner wants to hire a GM and Coach tandem, so Marks hiring comes with a requirement that he's able to also bring in a good coach. In this case, GM and Coach get hired and fired in tandem. Does Marks have any good coaches that he can recruit? Is Manu willing to take a coaching job :wow?

Chinook
02-18-2016, 08:44 AM
I disagree about Billy King, some of his trades ( Deron Williams, Gerald Wallace, Troy Murphy ) before the disastrous Boston one, have been nothing short of terrible. What draft picks were his? JaJuan Johnson? MarShon Brooks? Plumlee? Yikes.

The idea is that Prohkorov is the one who made him make those trades. But yeah, Plumlee was a pretty good pick, and the was traded for pretty good value. The guy they traded for in that case, RHJ, seems like he'll be a good pick. JaJuan was a pick for Boston, so he doesn't count against Brooklyn's ledger if Brooks does. Brooks had a pretty good rookie season, but playing under Avery killed him. They drafted Bogdanovic that same year, and he's a pretty good player. Their problem is that they pretty much had nothing but crapshoot picks the whole time. The picks they traded away have become Lillard, Kanter, Draymond, Dieng, Oubre, Larkin and Young. Sure, some of those guys aren't very good. But damn, that's a lot of talent tossed away.

ceperez
02-18-2016, 08:52 AM
The idea is that Prohkorov is the one who made him make those trades. But yeah, Plumlee was a pretty good pick, and the was traded for pretty good value. The guy they traded for in that case, RHJ, seems like he'll be a good pick. JaJuan was a pick for Boston, so he doesn't count against Brooklyn's ledger if Brooks does. Brooks had a pretty good rookie season, but playing under Avery killed him. They drafted Bogdanovic that same year, and he's a pretty good player. Their problem is that they pretty much had nothing but crapshoot picks the whole time. The picks they traded away have become Lillard, Kanter, Draymond, Dieng, Oubre, Larkin and Young. Sure, some of those guys aren't very good. But damn, that's a lot of talent tossed away.

Nets were on a program to replicate the Boston big 3, unfortunately that failed flat on its face.

Now the league is looking at Spurs like development (see: OKC and GSW as latest examples). Good teams are building systems and coming up from nowhere to compete.... see Boston, Raptors, Hawks. So Prohkorov is just jumping into the latest bandwagon.

SanAntonioSpurs23
02-18-2016, 10:19 AM
Looks like Marks took the job.

Chinook
02-18-2016, 10:21 AM
Good for him. I wonder how he's going to play this now. Would like him to find a way to send Brook to SA this summer.

Spurs9
02-18-2016, 10:21 AM

jdiggy0424
02-18-2016, 10:26 AM
https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/700338162816544768

ceperez
02-18-2016, 10:27 AM
Although it is hard to determine what Marks current situation is a GM job isn't a job that is readily available. Furthermore, it is a job in a franchise that is able to pay top dollar.

Sure the Net franchise is a complete mess, but that's were the opportunity lies.

So folks reasoning that its a disaster of a situation and therefore should be avoided, IMHO absolutely flies against any real logic.

The Nets owner wants to hire a GM and Coach tandem, so Marks hiring comes with a requirement that he's able to also bring in a good coach. In this case, GM and Coach get hired and fired in tandem. Does Marks have any good coaches that he can recruit? Is Manu willing to take a coaching job :wow?

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/240869/Sean-Marks-Hired-By-Nets-As-GM

Did the obvious thing that most ST are clueless about.

ceperez
02-18-2016, 10:30 AM
If Sean Marks takes the job (which I don't know why he wouldn't), he would at a minimum take in a San Antonio coach. That's what Nets owner wants, a GM and Coach combination in addition to that, an international spin. Likely candidate is Messina at this point. Although who knows if Udoka is in play or another Spurs coach that Marks has good rapport with. I'm not certain if Sean has developed good rapport with the older Messina.

In addition to coaches, Nets are likely to hire some Ex-Spurs players, people who have been in the system and can establish the culture.

Likely Messina is now the target, unless they have something extremely creative up their sleeve.

I don't think Messina is creative enough a coach, but maybe Prokhorov knows better.

bigfan
02-18-2016, 10:40 AM
Good for Marks, congrats.

elemento
02-18-2016, 10:41 AM
GL in that mess

Beaverfuzz
02-18-2016, 10:42 AM
Congrats Sean Marks, a little thrown into the fire early but that's why they're paying you the big bucks. Good luck

loveforthegame
02-18-2016, 10:44 AM
Good luck. He's going to need it.

BillMc
02-18-2016, 10:52 AM
Does he start immediately or after the season?

Texas_Ranger
02-18-2016, 10:55 AM
sucks that it's the Nets. He'll probably be fired in the next 2 years.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
02-18-2016, 10:57 AM
Congrats Sean Marks, a little thrown into the fire early but that's why they're paying you the big bucks. Good luck

Honestly the perfect setup for him. If he can turns that franchise around, he will be elevated to RC level and can have almost any executive position he wants in the NBA. He fails, well what do you expect w/ no draft picks and no cap space. Good move for him IMO.

Chinook
02-18-2016, 11:01 AM
Does he start immediately or after the season?

I'd imagine immediately so he can plan a draft strategy. Brooklyn is going to have a high second and the means to gain more picks with cap space.

baseline bum
02-18-2016, 11:10 AM
Congrats to Sean. Sad to see him go but I'm happy for him getting such a big opportunity.

BatManu20
02-18-2016, 11:22 AM
'Grats to him. It's still a terrible situation with no 1st round draft picks the next 2 years and no cap space, but it's a big opportunity for him and his career. Best of luck to him.

BillMc
02-18-2016, 11:25 AM
I'd imagine immediately so he can plan a draft strategy. Brooklyn is going to have a high second and the means to gain more picks with cap space.

Thanks.

If Tim retires maybe he'll send us Lopez on the cheap. (Not that I'm a Lopez fan).

TheGreatYacht
02-18-2016, 11:27 AM
There's a position open as assistant GM, Bonner... Take it before it's too late asap

Mel_13
02-18-2016, 11:51 AM

The Clippers will get to swap 2nd round picks with Brooklyn as things stand today. Would change if Clippers move up one spot in the league standings.

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/DraftTrades/Years/2016.htm

BatManu20
02-18-2016, 12:27 PM

SpurPadre
02-18-2016, 12:31 PM
There's a position open as assistant GM, Bonner... Take it before it's too late asap

You shut your whore mouth!!!!!

Mel_13
02-18-2016, 12:31 PM

The situation reminded me of the Brett Brown signing. For a first time GM, Marks still had considerable leverage because Brooklyn has been such a dumpster fire the last several years. Pop gave an interview last year where he predicted that it wouldn't be long before Marks had offers to run his own team. The delay in signing, as with Brown, was most certainly due to Marks extracting more guarantees in terms of salary, length of contract, and authority.

dabom
02-18-2016, 01:15 PM
:lmao I can't believe this. :lol

I guess he took it. :tu

lefty
02-18-2016, 01:17 PM
agreed...

Well

Yeah :lol

dabom
02-18-2016, 01:17 PM
The situation reminded me of the Brett Brown signing. For a first time GM, Marks still had considerable leverage because Brooklyn has been such a dumpster fire the last several years. Pop gave an interview last year where he predicted that it wouldn't be long before Marks had offers to run his own team. The delay in signing, as with Brown, was most certainly due to Marks extracting more guarantees in terms of salary, length of contract, and authority.

To be expected.

It's funny that maybe the owner knew to pretend like he didn't know who Marks was because that's how the Spurs work. They try to contain any information/moves as much as possible.

HarlemHeat37
02-18-2016, 01:18 PM

You can blame him for setting the criteria of wanting to "win-now", but I don't think that should classify him as a meddler..from everything I've read the past few years, he trusts whoever he hires to make the basketball moves, unlike other pro sports owners that have a "hands-on" reputation..

He has also been outspoken about the mistakes in his mindset after purchasing the Nets, he's aware of the problems with the franchise(he wrote an article about it the other day, too, IIRC)..there's no doubt IMO that Marks is going to have a huge leash..

Mel_13
02-18-2016, 01:21 PM
To be expected.

It's funny that maybe the owner knew to pretend like he didn't know who Marks was because that's how the Spurs work. They try to contain any information/moves as much as possible.

It turns out that it was just some forced humor on his part. Apparently he said that he had never heard of the Knicks in an answer to a later question in that press conference.

dabom
02-18-2016, 01:23 PM
It turns out that it was just some forced humor on his part. Apparently he said that he had never heard of the Knicks in an answer to a later question in that press conference.

K...
02-18-2016, 01:25 PM
:lmao I can't believe this. :lol

I guess he took it. :tu

It's not the same as with coaches. The opportunity doesn't arise as often, especially when the elite coaches demand dual roles. Think about Danny ferry. Arguably the best after RC still sitting on his ass even after they tried to rehabilitate him in the media. And the net's job isn't that bad. Cleveland is the worst because you are not independent. Marks will be king in New York. Brooklyn's performance will be graded on a curve. They can't tank so presumably they will trade assets for picks and work d league level players, etc.

After all, the spurs haven't had a lottery pick since 1996 and they still outperform most teams in talent acquisition.No better comparison to Brooklyn than that.

elbamba
02-18-2016, 02:55 PM
Firesale for Marks. I would see what kind of picks I could get for Lopez, Johnson, Young and Jack. Might be the only movable pieces but even then, outside of Lopez I don't think you can get more than second rounders.

Cklbmk
02-18-2016, 03:36 PM

Clippers have a pick swap with BKN on their 2nd this year

Chinook
02-18-2016, 03:38 PM
Clippers have a pick swap with BKN on their 2nd this year

Only if they don't box out Toronto for that fifth spot. They're going to make it.

YGWHI
02-18-2016, 04:23 PM
:lmao Maybe he was playing his "Pop card" deferring and shit? Establishing a "Family Business" in New York!

It seems like they know his name after all...

Good luck Sean :toast

bic50
02-18-2016, 05:04 PM
Congrats to Sean. Best of luck to him.
I guess that one of the major drawbacks of being such a successful frachsise is that everyone tries to poach your personnel.
Becky Hammon will be getting head coaching job offers soon enough.

itzsoweezee
02-18-2016, 05:07 PM
How much are they paying him? I hope he demanded more than Phil Jackson is getting.

TheDoctor
02-18-2016, 05:11 PM

It seems like they know his name after all...

Good luck Sean :toast

Indeed man. Very stealthy, very Spursy.

GL Sean :depressed

TeKu
02-18-2016, 08:37 PM
Interview with Marks on NZ Sports Radio.

https://soundcloud.com/nzherald/sean-marks

Seems it was RC & Pop that first flagged the opportunity to him.

NASpurs
02-18-2016, 08:55 PM
http://nypost.com/2016/02/18/nets-feel-good-about-new-gm-after-consulting-wikipedia/?

Nets feel good about new GM after consulting Wikipedia

By Brian Lewis

February 18, 2016 | 8:13pm

When Sean Marks was announced as Brooklyn’s new general manager Thursday morning, the Nets’ coach and players didn’t know a ton about their new boss. But Wikipedia and word of mouth told them enough: He got the stamp of approval from the Spurs, and he’s known for winning as a player, coach and executive.

And they say that kind of pedigree from the NBA’s gold standard bodes well for his future — and theirs.

“I’m familiar with him. I don’t know him personally, but obviously coming from the Spurs organization, he’s seen winning,” interim coach Tony Brown said. “He’s been a part of it as a player, and he’s been a part of it as an executive. I’m sure that’ll bode well for him in the new job.”

The morning after Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov claimed he’d need another week to hire a GM, Brooklyn and Marks had negotiated through the night. They overcame his qualms about the job (14-40 record, without a first-round pick until 2019) and hammered out a deal for a reported four years.

The Nets will get a 40-year-old New Zealander who won a 2005 NBA title as a player, another in 2014 as an assistant coach under Gregg Popovich, then rose to assistant GM under R.C. Buford, who called him a rising star. It was enough to impress Prokhorov — and forward Thaddeus Young.

“I think it’s a great hire for us,” Young said. “Anybody that’s coming from the Spurs organization is definitely a great hire from what they’ve done in the past 20, 25 years. They’ve had a great organization, they’ve won championship after championship, always have produced a great team, and they have great people within the organization, great basketball minds. … They’ve done a pretty good job.

“All of the guys that they’re pushing out are making great progress in the league. Coach [Mike Budenholzer] in Atlanta’s done a very good job with those guys, for what [coach Brett Brown] has done with his young guys, developing some of the young guys over with the 76ers. … They’re getting better each and every game and each and every year. [The Spurs] have done a really good job just pushing out assistant coaches or general managers, front-office guys, each and every year.’’

And Brooklyn is banking on Marks being the latest.

“I tried to inform myself a bit. I did the Wikipedia — I’m sure what all the high school kids do now when they look up assignments,” Brook Lopez said. “I looked up his career. I looked at his background and everything like that obviously — his time with the Spurs and everything. So it’s interesting. It is [encouraging]. They do things right there obviously.”

A sentiment echoed by Joe Johnson.

“Yeah, definitely,” Johnson said. “They’ve all been pretty successful, the guys who’ve come up from under Pop. It’s a testament to him and the things they try to implement as far as their system and great ball movement, guys playing together, playing for one another. It’s very successful, so we’ll see what happens here.”

Could Ettore Messina happen here as coach? The Spurs assistant’s name will logically be linked to the Nets since he’s worked with Marks and for Prokhorov. Messina won four Euroleague titles, including one in 2006 for CSKA Moscow when Prokhorov was the owner and the Italian was Euroleague Coach of the Year.

Can a foreign coach succeed in the NBA?

“It’s possible,” Johnson said.

“I’m not sure. It just depends on how the team responds to him,” Young said. “You never know until you try.”

Whether the Nets will try is going to be one of the most intriguing questions for Marks.

spursistan
02-18-2016, 09:20 PM

ace3g
02-24-2016, 10:09 PM
The Vertical Podcast with (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-vertical-podcast-with-woj--sean-marks-144644301.html) Adrian Wojnarowsk (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-vertical-podcast-with-woj--sean-marks-144644301.html)i

MoSpur
02-24-2016, 10:20 PM
His first thankful to the Spurs will be to trade Lopez to the Spurs for Bonner.

Mel_13
04-13-2016, 02:30 PM

Chinook
04-13-2016, 02:34 PM
He better leave Ime alone.

silverblackfan
04-13-2016, 02:58 PM
He better leave Ime alone.

My first thought too.

Robz4000
04-13-2016, 03:31 PM
HC Becky acomin'

loveforthegame
04-17-2016, 04:13 PM
Nets have hired Kenny Atkinson as the head coach.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/241613/Nets-Hire-Kenny-Atkinson-As-Head-Coach

DPG21920
04-17-2016, 04:16 PM
Marks making some swift, no nonsense changes. BKY is in a much better spot than most would have you believe. They have Thad Young/Lopez and a ton of cap space. No draft picks, but they have a ton of cap space. With some smart signings, they could definitely be a playoff team next year.