PDA

View Full Version : Manu Ginobili: "I don't know if there's a way to beat [Golden State]"

JohnnyMax
02-17-2016, 04:37 PM

Benoit
02-17-2016, 04:40 PM
Rough 2 weeks for Spur fans

Pop and Parker say Kobe is the Jordan of their generation last week

Ginobili says the Dubs are unbeatable this week and Pop says hes afraid of them lmao

FromWayDowntown
02-17-2016, 04:41 PM
"I don't know if there's a way to beat them" is a quote; that is, it is something that Manu actually said.

"There's no way to beat Golden State," though stated in quotes in the thread title, does not appear to be something that Manu actually said.

spursistan
02-17-2016, 04:44 PM
BR click-baiting with the basest forms of "journalism"..

can't wait for this pathetic website to disappear from the net..

TheGreatYacht
02-17-2016, 04:45 PM
Like a wise man once said, "Trade that old pile of bones"

ElNono
02-17-2016, 05:07 PM
Full article here:
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257221

K...
02-17-2016, 05:13 PM
Duh you score points, in excess of your opponent.

He also said that the a question was moot until the playoffs.

If I had my balls smashed I'd avoid nuance in my thinking too.

lilbthebasedgod
02-17-2016, 05:20 PM
"I don't know if there's a way to beat them" is a quote; that is, it is something that Manu actually said.

"There's no way to beat Golden State," though stated in quotes in the thread title, does not appear to be something that Manu actually said.

Thats why there are brackets around "Golden State".

Spur|n|Austin
02-17-2016, 05:26 PM
Talk about old news, good work OP :tu

FromWayDowntown
02-17-2016, 05:30 PM
Thats why there are brackets around "Golden State".

I think the title of this thread has been changed since the time that I posted.

tmtcsc
02-17-2016, 05:46 PM

Ginobili says the Dubs are unbeatable this week and Pop says hes afraid of them lmao

Would you like another serving? Did that taste good? Keep on believing what you want.

Mr. Body
02-17-2016, 05:48 PM
I don't think there's a way to beat them, either. They're in uncharted territory at this point. Normally jump shooting teams start falling off at some point.

spurs10
02-17-2016, 05:49 PM
Talk about old news, good work OP :tu :lol Exactly! Also left out the rest of the quote where Manu said he didn't care a lot about it before 'May or June.'

Benoit
02-17-2016, 06:10 PM
Would you like another serving? Did that taste good? Keep on believing what you want.

Yes I have a lot of respect for Pop, Parker and Ginobili

It feels good to hear them talk about the Dubs and Kobe like that

ironman2886
02-17-2016, 06:22 PM
Blame Pop for this. He has this team thinking like pussies. They're getting soft.

Boogie Munster
02-17-2016, 06:25 PM
OP enjoys the company of penises, tbh.

dbestpro
02-17-2016, 06:43 PM
This is just another Obi One Ginobili mind trick. Pretend awe, and fear, then beat them to a pulp.

rastaspur
02-17-2016, 07:44 PM
Of no concern to me. Manu is an elite competitor and is scared of no one or any team for that matter.

TheGreatYacht
02-17-2016, 07:45 PM
Blame Pop for this. He has this team thinking like pussies. They're getting soft.
Good post

TheGreatYacht
02-17-2016, 07:46 PM
"CIA Pop"
"Obi wan Ginobili mind trick"

.... But let Tony say this and it won't be a joke anymore around here :lol

hater
02-17-2016, 07:56 PM
What a faggot. Hes just mad h lost a testicle and spurs havent missed a beat without him

spursfan09
02-17-2016, 08:09 PM
"CIA Pop"

Right!?

TheMulletMan3000
02-17-2016, 08:11 PM

LOOK SPURS FANS LOOK PLEASE LOOK MANU AND POP SAID THAT THE TEAM I LIKE IS A GREAT TEAM AND I NEED TO LAUGH AT YOU BECAUSE OF THAT AND BECAUSE YOU SPURS FANS HAVE NO CLASS AND I CAN TELL YOU THAT BECAUSE I HAVE CLASS AND LAUGHING AT A COMPLIMENT IS TOTALLY CLASSY AND DOES NOT SHOW INSECURITY AT ALL

hater
02-17-2016, 08:14 PM
I can see this bastard throwing a playoff game just to prove he was right. Trade him asap

ElNono
02-17-2016, 08:16 PM
"CIA Pop"

"We'll deal with them in May or June" wouldn't be a Tony quote...

TheGreatYacht
02-17-2016, 08:18 PM
Right!?
Yup, just doing my part on fixing the double standard

ducks
02-17-2016, 08:20 PM
lets see if they fade in the stretch 30 games

TheGreatYacht
02-17-2016, 08:21 PM
"We'll deal with them in May or June" wouldn't be a Tony quote...
"Riley kind of looks like my daughter, was she born 8 months after I smacked y'all in 13' tbh?"

Head of the Snake would say something like that imho

houston spurs fan
02-17-2016, 08:26 PM
Manu is just saying what everyone is thinking. He's never been shy, he's Latin. That said, one thing you can be sure of is that he will give 100% come May. He's not scared. This is why his autographed jersey hangs in my office that cost me a small fortune....

ElNono
02-17-2016, 08:36 PM
Manu is just saying what everyone is thinking. He's never been shy, he's Latin. That said, one thing you can be sure of is that he will give 100% come May. He's not scared. This is why his autographed jersey hangs in my office that cost me a small fortune....

How much you paid for it, tbh?... just curious, I have a bunch of stuff signed by him, but no clue as to value... :greedy

spurs10
02-17-2016, 08:51 PM
How much you paid for it, tbh?... just curious, I have a bunch of stuff signed by him, but no clue as to value... :greedy Early retirement! :wow

hater
02-17-2016, 10:05 PM
It was a good season tbh

:lol

james evans
02-17-2016, 10:59 PM
I would say the same thing. Get them overconfident then hit them in the mouth when u play them. Holly Holm did the same thing before she faced rousey. In every interview she was acting timid saying it's such an honor to be in the ring with her and that she's hard to beat. At the weigh in after their little "scuffle" she just walked away. But when the fight started......... Let golden state come in overconfident, then fuck em up

bic50
02-17-2016, 11:07 PM
So what's the plan? Crown them and call it a season?

Capt Bringdown
02-17-2016, 11:16 PM
I don't think there's a way to beat them, either. They're in uncharted territory at this point. Normally jump shooting teams start falling off at some point.

Yup. I keep waiting for their jump-shooting house of cards to fold, but they look invincible. How would they respond to a team that would shake their confidence?
Who knows? I can't see the Spurs or any other team rattling their cage and getting under their skin.
They are on an epic roll.

HarlemHeat37
02-17-2016, 11:17 PM
What's going to be hilarious is if the Spurs beat them in the next RS game, 95% of this forum will do a 180 and become overconfident and arrogant about the potential playoff matchup, tbh:lol..it's just how things work with sports fans..

BSfromTX
02-18-2016, 12:08 AM
What's going to be hilarious is if the Spurs beat them in the next RS game, 95% of this forum will do a 180 and become overconfident and arrogant about the potential playoff matchup, tbh:lol..it's just how things work with sports fans..

So funny and true

spurs10
02-18-2016, 12:50 AM
I would say the same thing. Get them overconfident then hit them in the mouth when u play them. Holly Holm did the same thing before she faced rousey. In every interview she was acting timid saying it's such an honor to be in the ring with her and that she's hard to beat. At the weigh in after their little "scuffle" she just walked away. But when the fight started......... Let golden state come in overconfident, then fuck em up Yes indeed! :ihit

So what's the plan? Crown them and call it a season? One of my favorite saying is 'Everybody's got a plan, until they get punched in the mouth.' :ihit
:flag:

DJR210
02-18-2016, 01:17 AM

:lol Kevin Hart

Mikeanaro
02-18-2016, 01:31 AM
Welcome to 2 weeks ago.

NameLess Scrub
02-18-2016, 08:36 AM
Yup. I keep waiting for their jump-shooting house of cards to fold, but they look invincible. How would they respond to a team that would shake their confidence?
Who knows? I can't see the Spurs or any other team rattling their cage and getting under their skin.
They are on an epic roll.

They're a jump shooting team but they kind of shoot alone.

Leandro barbosa has gone from 28% to 38% from 3pt after joining them.

It's like practice.

HarlemHeat37
03-20-2016, 04:51 PM

:lmao sports fans are so predictable, tbh..

There's never a middle ground..

ElNono
03-20-2016, 04:52 PM

Mel_13
03-20-2016, 04:54 PM

Predicting what teams or players will do isn't always easy, predicting what message board fans will do always is.

midnightpulp
03-20-2016, 04:55 PM

Robz4000
03-20-2016, 04:58 PM
:lol most of us can't help it, especially in this instance where such a dominant team stands in the way. Everyone will grasp at the littlest things to try to develop some form of bravado.

midnightpulp
03-20-2016, 05:00 PM

Quit being a chicken little fan!

An Iguodala-less Warriors team lead in the 4th quarter and made it a one possession game late, against one the greatest Spurs teams ever who are undefeated at home. If that doesn't bolster your confidence, I don't know what will!

LoneStarState'sPride
03-20-2016, 05:03 PM

So true :lol

HarlemHeat37
03-20-2016, 05:04 PM
Nothing wrong with being confident that the Spurs can beat them, but it literally goes from 95% of the fans having a meltdown to 95% of the fans saying the "Warriors aren't that great", etc:lol..

midnightpulp
03-20-2016, 05:07 PM
:lol most of us can't help it, especially in this instance where such a dominant team stands in the way. Everyone will grasp at the littlest things to try to develop some form of bravado.

It's hard to have confidence when the Spurs completely shut down their top two scorers while Kawhi and LMA combined for 44 points and Diaw mustered his best performance of the season, and yet the Spurs were down in the 4th and it was a one possession game up until the final couple of minutes. And on top of that, the Warriors were missing their bench captain.

I don't agree with the retarded Chinook logic that this game was a better win than a blowout. As has been proven over 60 years of NBA basketball, point-diff is a pretty reliable indicator of team strength, and the fact we weren't able to stomp on the Warriors' throats considering the circumstances has me worried the Spurs just don't have enough firepower. I expect our defense to test the Warriors in a series, but I don't think our offense will provide enough. Gonna be a lot of 101-90 type of losses.

baseline bum
03-20-2016, 05:08 PM

Predicting what teams or players will do isn't always easy, predicting what message board fans will do always is.

:lmao

Nathan89
03-20-2016, 05:11 PM
Feel that's overstating the reaction on the message board to pat yourself on the back.

spurraider21
03-20-2016, 05:22 PM
is OP mono? i think its a mav fan

dabom
03-20-2016, 05:23 PM

Robz4000
03-20-2016, 05:31 PM
It's hard to have confidence when the Spurs completely shut down their top two scorers while Kawhi and LMA combined for 44 points and Diaw mustered his best performance of the season, and yet the Spurs were down in the 4th and it was a one possession game up until the final couple of minutes. And on top of that, the Warriors were missing their bench captain.

I don't agree with the retarded Chinook logic that this game was a better win than a blowout. As has been proven over 60 years of NBA basketball, point-diff is a pretty reliable indicator of team strength, and the fact we weren't able to stomp on the Warriors' throats considering the circumstances has me worried the Spurs just don't have enough firepower. I expect our defense to test the Warriors in a series, but I don't think our offense will provide enough. Gonna be a lot of 101-90 type of losses.

The fact the Spurs shut down the Dubs in crunch time is very encouraging. Yes, there was no Iggy, but we know in the end the ball will be in Curry's hands and the Spurs defended him well. Spurs also missed a high amount of chip shots throughout the game that should've made it a blowout. I don't think the Spurs will go after the Dubs in the final two meetings, so we'll just have to take what we saw last night to figure out how the Spurs can win.

TrainOfThought5
03-20-2016, 05:35 PM
If we cut our turnovers in half this is a blowout.

EmantheSpursFan
03-20-2016, 06:09 PM
What's encouraging to me is the fact that we are still improving. The defense is a testimony to the hard work we've put in all year but the offense still has a lot that can be improved. The chip shots, turnovers and tacky fouls made this game closer than it should've been. I believe pop and co will figure out how to stop the other players when they return but for now I enjoyed watching us dominate the pace of the game and play shut down defense when we needed to!

SouthernFried
03-20-2016, 06:39 PM
We played like shit in the first half, offensively. Yet, we didn't get behind. Warriors were missing a few guys and should play better next time.

But, we can play a lot better too ;)

UZER
03-20-2016, 06:49 PM
Nothing wrong with being confident that the Spurs can beat them, but it literally goes from 95% of the fans having a meltdown to 95% of the fans saying the "Warriors aren't that great", etc:lol..

I think it's not so much warriors aren't great. It's more against the spurs they aren't as great as they are made out to be.

Some around here, self included, just aren't as afraid of the warriors as others are. Doesn't mean we don't recognize how tough they are.

Uriel
03-20-2016, 08:06 PM
Quit being a chicken little fan!

An Iguodala-less Warriors team lead in the 4th quarter and made it a one possession game late, against one the greatest Spurs teams ever who are undefeated at home. If that doesn't bolster your confidence, I don't know what will!

Chinook
03-20-2016, 08:34 PM
I don't agree with the retarded Chinook logic that this game was a better win than a blowout.

Of course you don't, as you probably watch the games and admire the way the ball goes through the net. Point differential is an indicator of a team's strength when taken over the course of many games. It's not indicative of who's better after two games. Shit, it's like you're pulling a Tholdren.

The Warriors have pulled out so many bullshit wins recently, with people making big shots or there being some fouls or other stupid mistakes. Once it got to the final part of the game, the Spurs pretty much held GS off with little effort. There weren't miracle plays to give them the win. No one did anything memorable. They just put their foot into the Warriors' throat and twisted their heel. They took them down like it wasn't even a big game. No one seemed relieved or happy. It was just another night. Golden State is acquainted with being blown out. They've taken more big losses than the Spurs. They aren't used to having a win in their grasps and just not being good enough. This just seems like the Spurs' version of Goku's "It's done" moment.

TheGreatYacht
03-20-2016, 08:49 PM
Good thing Manu ain't the coach.

ezau
03-20-2016, 08:54 PM
Of course you don't, as you probably watch the games and admire the way the ball goes through the net. Point differential is an indicator of a team's strength when taken over the course of many games. It's not indicative of who's better after two games. Shit, it's like you're pulling a Tholdren.

The Warriors have pulled out so many bullshit wins recently, with people making big shots or there being some fouls or other stupid mistakes. Once it got to the final part of the game, the Spurs pretty much held GS off with little effort. There weren't miracle plays to give them the win. No one did anything memorable. They just put their foot into the Warriors' throat and twisted their heel. They took them down like it wasn't even a big game. No one seemed relieved or happy. It was just another night. Golden State is acquainted with being blown out. They've taken more big losses than the Spurs. They aren't used to having a win in their grasps and just not being good enough. This just seems like the Spurs' version of Goku's "It's done" moment.

Totally agree. I was impressed with the Spurs' ability to grind out a win against a team that is accustomed to stealing close games in the end. The Splash brothers looked so human last night, which is a cause of concern if I were Kerr. The Warriors take advantage of late-game mental lapses to free up their shooters. Too bad the Spurs are just way too disciplined and smart to make those mistakes.

ezau
03-20-2016, 09:02 PM

If I were the Warriors, I'd be concerned too that I lost against the Spurs that committed 17 turnovers and their best rim protector playing only 8 minutes. Warriors also lost using their dreaded 'Small Ball' for extended minutes.

DMC
03-20-2016, 09:05 PM

You're spot on, as usual.

Chinook
03-20-2016, 09:12 PM
If I were the Warriors, I'd be concerned too that I lost against the Spurs that committed 17 turnovers and their best rim protector playing only 8 minutes. Warriors also lost using their dreaded 'Small Ball' for extended minutes.

Then you add in that Green is their best LMA, Diaw and Kawhi defender. He can't guard all of them, and even when he guards one, there's no guarantee the others won't get free. Sure, Iggy and Bogut can take Kawhi and LMA to some extent. But for GS, they replace a 43- and 38-percent shooter with a 36-percent shooter and a guy who never takes threes. For being small, that's abysmal spacing. The Spurs can literally play any type of small-ball (three guards, two SFs or two PFs). Golden State won't find quarter in their versatility.

FuzzyLumpkins
03-20-2016, 09:24 PM

Don't talk about basketball as it's played on the court but instead make up a shitty machismo analogy: the Chinook way.

It's like you look at the gameflow and box score and write your takes.

ezau
03-20-2016, 09:36 PM
Then you add in that Green is their best LMA, Diaw and Kawhi defender. He can't guard all of them, and even when he guards one, there's no guarantee the others won't get free. Sure, Iggy and Bogut can take Kawhi and LMA to some extent. But for GS, they replace a 43- and 38-percent shooter with a 36-percent shooter and a guy who never takes threes. For being small, that's abysmal spacing. The Spurs can literally play any type of small-ball (three guards, two SFs or two PFs). Golden State won't find quarter in their versatility.

True. Kerr hasn't faced a coach as great as Pop and he will have to be at the other end of this when the Warriors face the Spurs eventually. Pop probably has three or four counters ready for whatever adjustments Kerr has on last night's game. I will not be surprised though if Pop prefers to hide these counters until the playoffs.

spurs10
03-20-2016, 09:40 PM

The Warriors have pulled out so many bullshit wins recently, with people making big shots or there being some fouls or other stupid mistakes. Once it got to the final part of the game, the Spurs pretty much held GS off with little effort. There weren't miracle plays to give them the win. No one did anything memorable. They just put their foot into the Warriors' throat and twisted their heel. They took them down like it wasn't even a big game. No one seemed relieved or happy. It was just another night. Golden State is acquainted with being blown out. They've taken more big losses than the Spurs. They aren't used to having a win in their grasps and just not being good enough. This just seems like the Spurs' version of Goku's "It's done" moment. :tu

BillMc
03-20-2016, 09:46 PM
I will not be surprised though if Pop prefers to hide these counters until the playoffs.

I agree. I expect these last two regular season games between the teams to be meaningless. Pop will rest guys, play simple sets, look only to see what some of his bench guys can do against the Dubs (like observing Miller, Martin and Kyle in various matchups against Livingston, etc). Fully expect to lose the last regular season games against them as Pop isn't playing to win but the Dubs will be hunting for the Bulls' record. In the long term this works to Spurs' advantage.

BillMc
03-20-2016, 09:46 PM

Chinook with some great posts in this thread. :bobo

weeks
03-20-2016, 09:48 PM
They're still very favored in a series but it felt good to hold the greatest offense ever to 79 points .And since we're an elite defensive squad it doesn't feel too flukish

ezau
03-20-2016, 09:56 PM
I agree. I expect these last two regular season games between the teams to be meaningless. Pop will rest guys, play simple sets, look only to see what some of his bench guys can do against the Dubs (like observing Miller, Martin and Kyle in various matchups against Livingston, etc). Fully expect to lose the last regular season games against them as Pop isn't playing to win but the Dubs will be hunting for the Bulls' record. In the long term this works to Spurs' advantage.

Yes. I expect Pop to tank the last two games.

Nathan89
03-20-2016, 10:12 PM
There is a positive takeaway from a grind out victory and a blowout. The grind out victory also has a negative takeaway though.

TheDoctor
03-20-2016, 11:22 PM
Chinook with the "I'm going in for the Kill" behavior.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb3orpbsNk1qdtgxyo1_500.gif

DAF86
03-20-2016, 11:35 PM
I think it's fair to say that if anyone is going to beat GS it will be by slowing the tempo down and punishing their small lineups. And if anyone is able to do that effectively it will be the Spurs.

midnightpulp
03-21-2016, 01:58 AM

On the flip side, you can't expect Curry to be held to 4-18 shooting again.

And again, one of the more important pieces of their lineup was missing, a fact the Chinooks keep conveniently handwaving away.

That said, I do have some renewed confidence, but not that much more than previously. I want one more win against a healthy Warriors squad.

ezau
03-21-2016, 03:22 AM
On the flip side, you can't expect Curry to be held to 4-18 shooting again.

And again, one of the more important pieces of their lineup was missing, a fact the Chinooks keep conveniently handwaving away.

That said, I do have some renewed confidence, but not that much more than previously. I want one more win against a healthy Warriors squad.

Same here. Last night was too small of a sample size, but at least the Spurs had a game plan against the Warriors' historically great offense. I think OKC somewhat laid the blueprint on how to beat GSW--switch on PNRs, dare Curry to beat you off the dribble, don't double Klay at the post, let Draymond beat you. Too bad OKC simply just don't have the mental fortitude to execute it all game.

DenialTwist
03-21-2016, 04:45 AM
They're still very favored in a series but it felt good to hold the greatest offense ever to 79 points .And since we're an elite defensive squad it doesn't feel too flukish

People just keep saying that the Warriors were fatigued and that was the biggest factor since most teams on b2b on the road usually lose. Well, any team would be fatigued going for 73 wins. Let them get gassed when they enter the playoffs. Spurs offense wasn't as good as it could be but that's what happens when you play good defense for 48 minutes.

Chinook
03-21-2016, 05:51 AM

You act like you just discovered this word. I used it once this weekend, and it's been in almost every post of yours since. Anyway Iggy has strengths and weaknesses. He can run the point to let Curry and Livingston play off the ball. That's his biggest advantage offensively. Defensively, he can credibly guard guys like Leonard and Manu with the potential to defend at an elite level. However, he hurts their spacing and gives an obvious person to hide Parker on if the Warriors counter the Spurs' switching by going iso. If the Warriors are going big he replaces a better shooter and gives up defensive size

james evans
03-21-2016, 08:25 AM
I would say the same thing. Get them overconfident then hit them in the mouth when u play them. Holly Holm did the same thing before she faced rousey. In every interview she was acting timid saying it's such an honor to be in the ring with her and that she's hard to beat. At the weigh in after their little "scuffle" she just walked away. But when the fight started......... Let golden state come in overconfident, then fuck em up
You guys up here are young. You dont understand the art of war. I forgive you. I wasn't concerned with saturday's game. I knew the deal.