PDA

View Full Version : Simmons or Green. Who ya got?

manu
02-17-2016, 06:45 PM
I choose Simmons!, given the fact that we haven't even seen Simmons at FULL potential yet, it's scary how great this guy can be.....and consistent.
In my opinion right now, he has the edge on Green even in the little minutes he's been given this season he hasn't disappointed, quite the contrary. He's a beast on defense too, penetrates with balls on offense, and has a 3 point shot.

So who u got?

The poll feature ain't working from my phone for some reason.

anyways, WHO YA GOT?

BatManu20
02-17-2016, 06:48 PM
:wakeup

FromWayDowntown
02-17-2016, 06:49 PM
Threads like this one remind me why I'm glad that its PATFO making decisions about the Spurs roster and not Spurs Talk posters.

dabom
02-17-2016, 06:54 PM
Does OP actually think a proven NBA champion and starter for like a couple of years is going to be beat by a just was a Dleaguer 2 months ago? :lmao

Mr. Body
02-17-2016, 06:55 PM
Fart.

dabom
02-17-2016, 06:55 PM
And you didn't even show voter names on poll. Fail straight up...

ElNono
02-17-2016, 07:00 PM
Fart.

you motherfucker... uffff

koriwhat
02-17-2016, 07:10 PM
I got the spurs!

MultiTroll
02-17-2016, 07:11 PM
Green lovers don't have to act so butthurt. OP is just raising the question moving fwd.
Danny has come around lately, but for 2 full months he bricked balls. Of course we all want to see 2013 Finals Danny come back (or a version anywhere close to).

Yes Simmons was a D Leaguer a few months ago. Green would not be the 1st NBAer to sign a fat contract and fall down.

My vote is Green.
They both need to see playoff time. Green if sucking should not get excessive time for the sole reason of seniority ala CIA Popped with Parker vs Clippers.

Chinook
02-17-2016, 07:25 PM
^2012-2013 was probably Danny's worst year as a starter, excluding this one, of course. He doesn't have to reach the Finals heights to be great. He's been a crazy good player for years, far beyond what even homers can expect from Simmons. Jonathon might not even make the team next year (though I expect he will unless he's traded). It's crazy how some posters will just try to put ANYONE over Green, as if the Spurs didn't spend YEARS looking for someone who could do what Danny does.

A more interesting question is really how high on the all-time Spurs list Danny ends up. I think he could finish top-10 if he stays for another seven years, takes over the three-point shooting crown from Manu and wins a couple more titles. I'm sure he's already closing in on some records, though you have to as Drom John about that.

HarlemHeat37
02-17-2016, 07:27 PM
^2012-2013 was probably Danny's worst year as a starter, excluding this one, of course. He doesn't have to reach the Finals heights to be great. He's been a crazy good player for years, far beyond what even homers can expect from Simmons. Jonathon might not even make the team next year (though I expect he will unless he's traded). It's crazy how some posters will just try to put ANYONE over Green, as if the Spurs didn't spend YEARS looking for someone who could do what Danny does.

A more interesting question is really how high on the all-time Spurs list Danny ends up. I think he could finish top-10 if he stays for another seven years, takes over the three-point shooting crown from Manu and wins a couple more titles. I'm sure he's already closing in on some records, though you have to as Drom John about that.

I'm pretty sure last season was the first time on SpursTalk where there wasn't a 2-3 week stretch of "bench Green" threads that took over the forum, tbh:lol..

Chinook
02-17-2016, 07:28 PM
I'm pretty sure last season was the first time on SpursTalk where there wasn't a 2-3 week stretch of "bench Green" threads that took over the forum, tbh:lol..

Probably because Danny WAS benched last year for a stretch in 2013-2014, so people knew what the alternative looked like.

SAGirl
02-17-2016, 07:54 PM
I voted Danny ... but Tbh who I got for what? Both guys arein the team and have a role... so really who I got for what?

Unless you are proposing one gets traded. Since Manu is hurt and may retire soon it's not as if we don't need both guys.

lilbthebasedgod
02-17-2016, 08:01 PM
Green easily. Not even close.

ChumpDumper
02-17-2016, 08:06 PM
The Spurs got both.

Eggeye
02-17-2016, 08:30 PM
Mr. Green

SD126
02-17-2016, 09:01 PM
Green. NOT even close

look_at_g_shred
02-17-2016, 10:04 PM
The Spurs got both.

cutewizard
02-17-2016, 10:20 PM
Simmons has potential

cutewizard
Simmons has elite athleticism

cutewizard
Simmons is younger

cutewizard
02-17-2016, 10:22 PM
Simmons has me as wizard

hahahahahahahahaha

just a joke

Good morning from the Philippines fellow Spurs fans

the second half is about to begin

my spells for SPAM ARE READY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are you ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

Go Spurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr r go: :lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

cutewizard
02-17-2016, 10:22 PM
im smelling six..................

give me six.......

six what???? hehehehehehehe

KimmyGib
02-18-2016, 12:26 AM
DG no question.

With further development JS will be a solid player. He has a real talent for getting to the rim. But come on, "beast on defense"?

He's not much younger than Danny either.

SpurPadre
02-18-2016, 12:33 AM
I'll take both; Danny starting and Simmons off the bench.

Leetonidas
02-18-2016, 12:50 AM
DG. Simmons can slash decently and dunk. that's it at the moment

Drom John
02-18-2016, 11:24 AM
Green is currently tied for 20th all-time in Spurs Win Shares.
If Green duplicates just 2013-14, 14-15 and the partial season 15-16, then Green would be about Artis Gilmore level at #10. Gilmore is currently 9th, but Leonard should pass Gilmore this season.

By VORP, Green is already #12. Duplicating just 2014-15, Green catches Bruce Bowen at #10.

Green's best rankings are:
#2 3pt FG, outside chance of #1 by duplicating past Spurs career.
#10 blocks, duplicating career would reach #6.

In playoffs, Green is 11th in WS, and with one very good series could catch Robert Horry at #10.

In playoffs, Green is 8th in VORP, and with one very good game might catch George Gervin at #7.

I like Simmons. I voted Green.

elemento
02-18-2016, 11:25 AM
Both

Chinook
02-18-2016, 11:27 AM
If Green duplicates just 2013-14, 14-15 and the partial season 15-16, then Green would be about Artis Gilmore level at #10. Gilmore is currently 9th, but Leonard should pass Gilmore this season.

By VORP, Green is already #12. Duplicating just 2014-15, Green catches Bruce Bowen at #10.

In playoffs, Green is 11th in WS, and with one very good series could catch Robert Horry at #10.

In playoffs, Green is 8th in VORP, and with one very good game might catch George Gervin at #7.

Thanks, man. It's absolutely badass that we have a go-to guy for such things. :toast

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
02-18-2016, 11:27 AM
The Spurs got both.

Both. Green the starter and Simmons the Spurs next 6th man. Don't have to chose.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
02-18-2016, 11:32 AM
DG. Simmons can slash decently and dunk. that's it at the moment

Not really. Simmons is shooting 40%+ from 3 pt and shooting about 50% in his midrange jumpshots. I think Simmons will eventually surpass Green as an overall player, but defensively Green is at a level that would also be the peak for Simmons and Simmons isn't there yet.

As the Detroit Piston showed in the mid 00's, you can't have enough good defenders. Billups and Hunter owned the Spurs backcourt in the '05 series. Thanks goodness for Duncan and Horry.

buttsR4rebounding
02-18-2016, 11:36 AM

Great stuff. Seems to indicate a decent shot at having his jersey hung. That's putting him right there with Spurs' all-time greats.

SpursforSix
02-18-2016, 11:40 AM
I want Simmons to put a baby in Green and that baby will grow up to play great defense, hit some 3's, and be a tough player that can finish around the rim.

TheDoctor
02-18-2016, 11:44 AM
Voted Green for the fun of it, but as of now luckily we don't get to choose. Like ChumpyDump said, we got both.

Leetonidas
02-18-2016, 12:09 PM
Not really. Simmons is shooting 40%+ from 3 pt and shooting about 50% in his midrange jumpshots. I think Simmons will eventually surpass Green as an overall player, but defensively Green is at a level that would also be the peak for Simmons and Simmons isn't there yet.

As the Detroit Piston showed in the mid 00's, you can't have enough good defenders. Billups and Hunter owned the Spurs backcourt in the '05 series. Thanks goodness for Duncan and Horry.

He doesn't play or shoot near enough to make a relevant judgement right now imo. he has good percentages but I'd be interested to know how many 3s he's actually shot. and how many of them come in garbage time when the Spurs are up by 25

Leetonidas
02-18-2016, 12:10 PM
and Simmons really isnt a good defender based on the eye test. he has some nice recovery blocks but overall I think his defense has been pretty overrated. he will get better with experience though

still.focused
02-18-2016, 12:38 PM
Greens major advantage is at the defensive end
Simmons seems to gamble and/or bail when on the ball
He runs & jumps and competes but theres no way this team sits as pretty as they are now with his def miscues
Add to that I still trust a Green 3FGA over a Simmons one despite the season %s
If PATFO could merge the 2 thatd be fuckin awesome
A super athletic Danny Green that can drive & finish at the rim? Lord please oh please

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-18-2016, 12:53 PM
Whoever's hot that night.

Cry Havoc
02-18-2016, 01:11 PM
One is a good defender. The other isn't. It's that simple.

K...
02-18-2016, 01:43 PM
The real question is Manu, Simmons. Simmons is going to be the 6th man at best. Remember the reason he signed was for his passing/drive game.

SAGirl
02-18-2016, 01:47 PM
and Simmons really isnt a good defender based on the eye test. he has some nice recovery blocks but overall I think his defense has been pretty overrated. he will get better with experience though
He's only blocked 4 shots all season. I looked it up in BB ref. For comparisons sake atm both Butler and Anderson had blocked 18. It's just that his 4 blocks were spectacular and the stuff of highlights, but that is it.

He's nowhere near Danny as a defender. I don't want to rain on his parade bc I'll be accused of hatemongering and I like him.... but just no. Maybe with experience next season he will truly shine as a defender... right now he gets faked out and taken out of plays too often and gets caught in screens forcing switches... He wasn't a smart team defender although he has improved. His best feature has been drawing charges. He's very athletic for sure and has tools to get better, but right now, just no. He's also not as disruptive as Danny is, who causes a lot of deflections without fouling.

Ppl are just deceived by the "eye test" bc of his highlight plays. And b4 someone gets in my grill, I know he's a rookies has shown a lot already fir a tough coach and he's earned his chance and has gotten better. That does not mean there is still a lot to get better at.

timtonymanu
02-18-2016, 01:50 PM
Threads like this one remind me why I'm glad that its PATFO making decisions about the Spurs roster and not Spurs Talk posters.

timtonymanu
02-18-2016, 01:53 PM
First it was Green vs Belinelli, now it's Green vs Simmons. I'm a Simmons fan but people that wanted to start Beli over Green probably had better cases than this current Simmons one. :lol

BillMc
02-18-2016, 01:53 PM
He's only blocked 4 shots all season. I looked it up in BB ref. For comparisons sake atm both Butler and Anderson had blocked 18. It's just that his 4 blocks were spectacular and the stuff of highlights, but that is it.

He's nowhere near Danny as a defender. I don't want to rain on his parade bc I'll be accused of hatemongering and I like him.... but just no. Maybe with experience next season he will truly shine as a defender... right now he gets faked out and taken out of plays too often and gets caught in screens forcing switches... He wasn't a smart team defender although he has improved. His best feature has been drawing charges. He's very athletic for sure and has tools to get better, but right now, just no. He's also not as disruptive as Danny is, who causes a lot of deflections without fouling.

Ppl are just deceived by the "eye test" bc of his highlight plays. And b4 someone gets in my grill, I know he's a rookies has shown a lot already fir a tough coach and he's earned his chance and has gotten better. That does not mean there is still a lot to get better at.

This. DG vastly under-appreciated as a defender. He really should get more votes than he has for All Defensive team. Not saying he'd make the team, but people overlook him because of Kawhi and Timmy.

Chinook
02-18-2016, 02:04 PM

Such a hater.

Chinook
02-18-2016, 02:08 PM
First it was Green vs Belinelli, now it's Green vs Simmons. I'm a Simmons fan but people that wanted to start Beli over Green probably had better cases than this current Simmons one. :lol

There was also Green vs Jack the year before Beli came onto the scene. There was even a movement to start Adam Hanga over him. Not to mention people wanting to trade Green for Redick, Turner, McCollum, L:lolnce Stephenson, Shumpert, Josh Howard and I'm sure many more. It's all of those things that make me roll my eyes at people who call me out for supporting Green.

steeledl
02-18-2016, 02:54 PM
I mean this year obviously Green is more reliable but I'm high on Simmons long term . He has had growing pains like most new NBA players but his potential is there.

SAGirl
02-18-2016, 03:29 PM
Such a hater.
:lol

manu
02-18-2016, 03:45 PM
Soooo what I'm getting here is most Spurs fans prefer Danny Green over Simmons for what he's done in the past offensively (2013 finals) and for his defensive hustle.
Alright, I see it.
But based on what I'm seeing on this season alone, both on offense and defense, playing small minutes. I'm taking Simmons over Green!
Don't get me wrong, I like Danny and appreciate what he's got. But yeeeaaaahhhh.....
Simmons has been with our Team a few months, and is more consistent than Danny has been in the last 2 seasons.

Call me crazy, but I'm a Simmons Believer!

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-18-2016, 03:46 PM
You're crazy.

Kawhitstorm
02-18-2016, 03:51 PM
George Hill:wakeup

Chinook
02-18-2016, 03:51 PM
Soooo what I'm getting here is most Spurs fans prefer Danny Green over Simmons for what he's done in the past offensively (2013 finals) and for his defensive hustle.
Alright, I see it.
But based on what I'm seeing on this season alone, both on offense and defense, playing small minutes. I'm taking Simmons over Green!
Don't get me wrong, I like Danny and appreciate what he's got. But yeeeaaaahhhh.....
Simmons has been with our Team a few months, and is more consistent than Danny has been in the last 2 seasons.

Call me crazy, but I'm a Simmons Believer!

Bad Green is about as good as Good Simmons. It took the worst slump of Danny's career and Simmons having an unsustainable start to even make this a conversation. I'm surprised it's as close as it is.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
02-18-2016, 03:54 PM
Look at the stats over the past month. Green is reaching the same levels as last year and he is actually #1 in 3 point shooting in the NBA over that span.

Don't get me wrong, but Simmons and Parker don't mesh well. There is a reason Simmons does better when Manu or Mills are in the game instead.

Chinook
02-18-2016, 03:58 PM
Kinda overlooked is that Simmons is 26, only 26 months younger than Green. Danny was a much better player at 26 than Simmons is now. So people should temper their expectations of Jonathon's projected growth. He's already had to improve massively to get this far. To it doesn't make a ton of sense to just assume he has another huge jump in him.

ChumpDumper
02-18-2016, 04:59 PM
Simmons has improved so much in the past three seasons that it's hard not to think he still has upside. The trick is figuring out the ceiling before they really have to pay him.

SAGirl
02-18-2016, 05:53 PM
The bad thing about this kind of thread is that even if you like both guys, it puts you on the spot to appear to hate on somebody who is playing well for the team bc you have to pick a favorite, which is really all the thread is. Basically who's your favorite player, not even a who is the best player in reality.

Too much of this in the forum. Who cares? Both guys are in the team. Just enjoy watching them play. Once Manu gets back he'll get added to the list of SG who are not your favorite if you are a Simmons fan.

spurs10
02-18-2016, 06:54 PM
If I'm pressed to decide I'll go with the Spurs!! :flag: Now I like Simmons just fine and hope he can eventually be a viable 6th man- he will get some more burn with Manu out. Danny is our starting 2, an NBA Champion and an important part of our defensive game. It's apples and oranges.

KimmyGib
02-18-2016, 07:40 PM
Part of the reason Danny under-performed for a good chunk of the season is that he was being included in the offense in new ways. We were seeing him get more touches, make more passes, and handle the ball more. His 2pt FGA% increased and 3pt FGA% decreased. I guess Pop wanted to expand his role. Problem is it took him out of his comfort zone making him look pretty bad most of the time. When relegated back to strictly 3 & D, Danny is still one of the best at his role.

DeRozan m8
02-19-2016, 01:45 AM
Should have let Danny go and got JR Smith in the off season tbh

Leetonidas
02-19-2016, 01:49 AM
Simmons is awful

DeRozan m8
02-19-2016, 02:09 AM
I really want Simmons to be awesome, he could be, but then theres something that puts doubt in my mind.

TheGreatYacht
02-19-2016, 02:13 AM
Y'all think either one gets to 21 in under 3 hours? Tbh.

ElNono
02-19-2016, 02:14 AM
Unless Simmons improves leaps and bounds in the next 3 seasons or so, I'll likely always pick Green over him every time... that said, Danny has been so much ass this season. It's not his shooting, either, I just can feel my blood pressure go up whenever he tries to dribble a ball or make a pass... just lost faith in him in improving that facet of his game.