PDA

View Full Version : Brilliant State Plan for Return to Houston

spurster
09-24-2005, 03:12 PM
Let's have gridlock in the north on Sunday, gridlock in the south on Monday, and the east on Tuesday. So basically, the plan is to have the streets south of I-10 completely empty on Sunday. Can't they think of anything better, say, staggering zip codes, or based on the last digit in your address?

http://blogs.chron.com/roadhome/

State's plan for orderly return

Texas Homeland Security Director Steve McCraw today released the following state plan for evacuees returning to the greater Houston area:

SUNDAY: Those living west of Interstate 45 and north of Interstate 10, including Tomball, The Woodlands, Waller, Hockley, Katy and Brookshire.

MONDAY: West of State Highway 35 and south of I-10, including Richmond, Stafford, Rosenberg, Sugar Land, Pearland and those living inside Loop 610.

TUESDAY: East of I-45 and north of I-10, including Liberty and Chambers counties.

Although there are no enforcement powers, McCraw urged evacuees to follow these guidelines to minimize traffic congestion.

''Returning is not only an inconvenience, it's also becoming a public safety crisis. because even if they do get home, there may not be electricity, food in the stores and medical services.

SpursWoman
09-24-2005, 03:15 PM
So how would you suggest they get 2.5 million people back home?

Big Pimp_21
09-24-2005, 03:19 PM
Alphabetical Order by mother's maiden name

hussker
09-24-2005, 03:20 PM
Hey, at least it is a plan! Maybe they should do for the repopulation what they DID NOT DO for the evacuation...Consult Mayor Nagin and Gov Blanco

boutons
09-24-2005, 03:37 PM
HOUSTON (CNN) -- People anxious to return home after evacuating for Hurricane Rita ignored pleas from top government officials to stay away Saturday and, in some cases, ended up in gridlock.

It was just what government officials repeatedly warned against, saying conditions may not be safe at home, emergency crews needed to be able to travel quickly along the highways, and trucks needed to bring fuel to re-fueling centers.

Still, the Texas Department of Transportation soon reported several traffic jams, including some along Interstate 10.

hussker
09-24-2005, 03:43 PM
The officials are rightfully blocking entrance for some as well, as they should!

SpursWoman
09-24-2005, 03:50 PM
HOUSTON (CNN) -- People anxious to return home after evacuating for Hurricane Rita ignored pleas from top government officials to stay away Saturday and, in some cases, ended up in gridlock.

It was just what government officials repeatedly warned against, saying conditions may not be safe at home, emergency crews needed to be able to travel quickly along the highways, and trucks needed to bring fuel to re-fueling centers.

Still, the Texas Department of Transportation soon reported several traffic jams, including some along Interstate 10.

So was this what spurster was counting on? People not following directions?

Kind of makes it hard to plan anything, doesn't it, when people won't work with you?

hussker
09-24-2005, 03:52 PM
The difference between this leadership and the faulty leadership in La is the lack of follow up by the latter. They were both pro-active, but leadership proactivity at ANY level requires follow up. Texas has done it well. I hope the other states are watching. La had good intentions, but those good intentions paved a path to hell for their constituents due to lack of follow up.

FOLLOW UP IS KEY! as well as an understanding of divisions of leadership and responsibility like Texas has always had and La did not. Sorry, I call it like I see it. And do not be haters and say Texas just had a preemptive clue from the disaster in La. We have been there and done it before (Check Allison, check Gilbert, Check Alicia). The folks in LA were just complacent and it was evident from the common citizen up through the leadership..."Oh, it will never hit us, we have ridden them out before..." Check the unfortunate death toll. Complacency.

COMPLACENCY KILLS!

ChumpDumper
09-24-2005, 04:13 PM
And do not be haters and say Texas just had a preemptive clue from the disaster in La.To my recollection, Austin and SA never hoarded supplies like this past week. You can't say Katrina had no influence on Texans and their decisions.

whottt
09-24-2005, 04:27 PM
To my recollection, Austin and SA never hoarded supplies like this past week. You can't say Katrina had no influence on Texans and their decisions.

A non tard might conclude that a heavy influx of Houstonians and Corpus Christites might have contributed to that...

Vashner
09-24-2005, 04:36 PM
They need to listen to the radio or tv .. if they come here we will water and feed them and provide a place to take a shit...

.. They want 2 go loot :)

ChumpDumper
09-24-2005, 04:36 PM
A non tard might conclude that a heavy influx of Houstonians and Corpus Christites might have contributed to that...Nah, locals were hoarding. Only a complete idiot fuckwad would think otherwise.

I agree they were influenced to hoard by the influx -- they didn't want the outsiders getting all their toilet paper.

whottt
09-24-2005, 04:39 PM
Nah, locals were hoarding. Only a complete idiot fuckwad would think otherwise.

Link?

I agree they were influenced to hoard by the influx -- they didn't want the outsiders getting all their toilet paper.

Link?

ChumpDumper
09-24-2005, 04:43 PM
There's not a generator to be found in area stores, and people were snatching up cases of bottled water and packs of batteries as fast as store owners put them out.

Some people were stocking up because they had a house full of friends and relatives who had come in from the coast. Others were worried that the hurricane might send severe weather to Austin, store managers said.

"There's not a single person that's come in here that's not buying something to survive with," said Betty Pfeifer, an assistant manager at the Wal-Mart at U.S. 290 near Brodie Lane. "They're buying air mattresses, flashlights, candles, batteries — everything." http://www.statesman.com/search/content/business/stories/09/23hoarding.html

And, as always -- go fuck yourself.

whottt
09-24-2005, 04:47 PM
There a no refugess from Houston, Galveston, or Corpus Christie in San Antonio and Austin, they all got Hotel rooms in Carter Valley[/Fucktard]

ChumpDumper
09-24-2005, 04:49 PM
No Austinite bought so much as a battery or loaf of bread this week[/twat]

Duff McCartney
09-24-2005, 04:50 PM
A non tard might conclude that a heavy influx of Houstonians and Corpus Christites might have contributed to that...

And a retard like you would conclude that it does. People came to my work to get bottled water. And none of them were from Houston/Corpus.

They were all San Antonio people that were freaking out.

whottt
09-24-2005, 04:53 PM
Some people were stocking up because they had a house full of friends and relatives who had come in from the coast.

And, as always -- go fuck yourself.

And...as always -- - - -- - - - --- RIF!

hussker
09-24-2005, 04:53 PM
No Austinite bought so much as a battery or loaf of bread this week[/twat]

Because AUSTINITES are against the environmental destruction from improper battery disposal and they hate carbs...

hussker
09-24-2005, 04:54 PM
AND..I love the CUT AND PASTE from posts, yet again, to TRY to make a point out of context, CHUMPDUMPER

ChumpDumper
09-24-2005, 04:56 PM
Others were worried that the hurricane might send severe weather to Austin, store managers said.

I'm sure the out-of-towners were stocking up on generators just for the weekend and bottled water "just for the taste."

whottt
09-24-2005, 04:57 PM
And a retard like you would conclude that it does. People came to my work to get bottled water. And none of them were from Houston/Corpus.

Oh well shit...

You sure proved that point...

Tell me shit for brains...where the fuck do you think went to then? I mean the populations of Houston Galveston and Corpus...to name a few?

They were all San Antonio people that were freaking out.

I see...and what lead you to that conclusion? Oh wait...here it is..

People came to my work to get bottled water. And none of them were from Houston/Corpus.

Well shit...you sure proved your point.

Tell you what...the next time you think you an intelligent thought?

I suggest flushing...the world will be better off for it.

ChumpDumper
09-24-2005, 04:57 PM
AND..I love the CUT AND PASTE from posts, yet again, to TRY to make a point out of context, CHUMPDUMPERWhich one? Austinites were hoarding? Of course they were, cornfed. Anything you have to say is RHETORIC.

hussker
09-24-2005, 04:58 PM
I'm sure the out-of-towners were stocking up on generators just for the weekend and bottled water "just for the taste."

I am sure generators taste great with a nice chianti...

whottt
09-24-2005, 05:01 PM
Some people....coast

Others...locals

A dumbass concludes:

Nah, locals were hoarding.

Because shit...1 guy in the paper said so.

mookie2001
09-24-2005, 05:02 PM
you got dumped by your owner chump.

hussker
09-24-2005, 05:02 PM
Which one? Austinites were hoarding? Of course they were, cornfed. Anything you have to say is RHETORIC.

Oh, we are back to the RHETORIC issue again. If the shoe fits, CD (chumpdumper, dumpChumper, crossdresser, whatever it is...) tie it up and walk.

No one said anyone was hoarding anything, at least that was not MY point. I am just sick and tired of people quoting by taking snippets out of context. We could all do that! My point is, you are not original. Nut up and refute from context... AND GO SPURS GO!!!! (I think we agree on that, right?)

hussker
09-24-2005, 05:03 PM

Hey, who owns CHUMP?

mookie2001
09-24-2005, 05:04 PM
nobody owns chumpdumper, he just dumps chumps like whottt

hussker
09-24-2005, 05:05 PM

Gotcha Mookie!

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-24-2005, 05:06 PM
To be fair, as late as Thursday forecasters were saying it was going to barrel through Matagorda Bay and work its way up to SA and Austin, and they were saying it would still be a tropical storm or cat 1 when it got there.

So I don't think you can fault people for planning.

ChumpDumper
09-24-2005, 05:07 PM
Because shit...1 guy in the paper said so.C'mon, KEYE was running stories about store shelves being cleaned out on Wednesday. Were they all from out of town?

jochhejaam
09-24-2005, 05:08 PM
Corpus Christites buying out the last of the unrolled bagged toilet paper from HEB headquarters;

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2003/WORLD/africa/08/13/liberia/story.looters.ap.jpg

http://www.informationwar.org/wars%20gallery/baghdad03_looting_09april2003.jpg

More evacuee plundering ^^^

ChumpDumper
09-24-2005, 05:09 PM
Nut up and refute from context.Nah, quoting the entire passage wastes bandwidth and valuable scrolling muscle.
So I don't think you can fault people for planning.I question what exactly they were planning for.

whottt
09-24-2005, 05:10 PM
C'mon, KEYE was running stories about store shelves being cleaned out on Wednesday. Were they all from out of town?

I don't know...were they asking for ID's?

Figure it the fuck out...there are only a couple of million fucking people, say, bigger than SA and Austin, that evaced...where the fuck do you think they went?

Just answer the question...you think they want to pay 4 dollars a bottle in hotels? And don't take Austin's tapwater for granted...

whottt
09-24-2005, 05:16 PM

Ahh...to be young, a newbie, and stupid.

mookie2001
09-24-2005, 05:17 PM
tired of getting dumped whottt?

hussker
Nah, quoting the entire passage wastes bandwidth and valuable scrolling muscle.I question what exactly they were planning for.

AND ACCURACY AS WELL. Continue on your sojourn of selective argument because your credibility to make and maintain argument will suffer.

whottt
C'mon, KEYE was running stories about store shelves being cleaned out on Wednesday. Were they all from out of town?

Nah, it was the locals

whottt
09-24-2005, 06:06 PM
tired of getting dumped whottt?

Hmmm....I am going to insult you now but I do feel you deserve to know why...Observe:

To my recollection, Austin and SA never hoarded supplies like this past week. You can't say Katrina had no influence on Texans and their decisions.

To which fucktard responded:

Nah, locals were hoarding. Only a complete idiot fuckwad would think otherwise.

Asked whottt:

Link?

Fucktard supplied a news excerpt in which the following statement was made:

Some people were stocking up because they had a house full of friends and relatives who had come in from the coast.

At that point the argument was over to all non-fucktards..

Unfortunately...a fucktard is always the last to realize that he is a fucktard, wich lead to a bout of prolonged name calling in this thread..as well as this revealing post by none other than yourself:

Not to mention the original quote at the top of this post..

Fucktard logic seems to think that the more fucktards in agreement the less of a fucktard they are...individually, as well as collectively. Unfortunately, that is not the way it works...

If you take all the fucktards in the world, lump them into one big gigantic fucktard, with one big gigantic unified fucktard voice, you still will not produce a non-fucktard...no...in fact you will have only suceeded in creating an even bigger fucktard.

Now then...I suggest you get back to hating white people...it won't make you less of a fucktard...but at least you'll be doing something productive(by your standards).

hussker
09-24-2005, 06:22 PM
HAHAHA! Good observation whott!

hussker
09-24-2005, 06:23 PM
WHOTT?
Did you ever notice that threads DIE once common sense come into play?

mookie2001
09-24-2005, 06:24 PM
he just started rattling off "fucktards"

hussker
09-24-2005, 06:27 PM
he just started rattling off "fucktards"
HAHAHA!

timvp
09-24-2005, 06:52 PM
Did it even rain in Houston?

hussker
09-24-2005, 06:57 PM

No, but it might have here in College Station if the emissions had not blocked it...TRAFFIC ON 6 ALL DAY!!!! And they still are not moving...And I cannot get gas or BREAD!

Oh, and I am white, so save the Rick Perry/George Bush racist crap

hussker
09-24-2005, 06:58 PM
I jest, it rained a bit in H town

SpursWoman
09-24-2005, 08:11 PM
Fucktard logic seems to think that the more fucktards in agreement the less of a fucktard they are...individually, as well as collectively. Unfortunately, that is not the way it works...

If you take all the fucktards in the world, lump them into one big gigantic fucktard, with one big gigantic unified fucktard voice, you still will not produce a non-fucktard...no...in fact you will have only suceeded in creating an even bigger fucktard.

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

SpursWoman
09-24-2005, 08:14 PM

Rains, a lot of wind, minor damage. But until yesterday, early afternoon they were right on target. Should they have waited until then to evacuate?

hussker
09-24-2005, 08:25 PM
Rains, a lot of wind, minor damage. But until yesterday, early afternoon they were right on target. Should they have waited until then to evacuate?

Nope, they did it the right way.
1) A plan
2) Leadership proactivity
3) Follow up
4) Leadership proactivity for return home
5) Follow up

AHHH...If Mayor Nagin and Gov Blanco could have gone to that school. They had the proactivity down, but missed out on the number one responsibility of leadership...FOLLOW UP!

Criticize me if you will, I do not care. I feel that regardless of previous issues, Gov MoFo and the local leaders would have done what they did without Katrina to learn from. We do not play COMPLACENCY in TX. We cannot. Our state is too vast.

We had Alicia/Gilbert/Allison to learn from. We did not need Katrina "lessons learned".

Texas rocks and our leaders set the standard, whether you like them or not.

Perry for President
Vote for the MoFo!
(Please try to read through that before the hate posts...)

SpursWoman
09-24-2005, 08:27 PM
The mayor on TV was talking about how to make the citizens that went through all of that shit to evacuate understand that they did not do so in vain. They were very, very lucky.

hussker
09-24-2005, 08:31 PM
The mayor on TV was talking about how to make the citizens that went through all of that shit to evacuate understand that they did not do so in vain. They were very, very lucky.
Please expound...How do you feel about that and how do you feel about the fact that it happenned, even though there was no flooding or imminent danger?

Hook Dem
09-24-2005, 08:59 PM
Being as how you're probably single, do you buy your toilet paper one roll at a time? I know Duff just uses corn cobs! :lol

spurster
09-24-2005, 10:36 PM
So how would you suggest they get 2.5 million people back home?
Ummm, like read the original post.

Doing it over 3 days is fine by me. To use the highways and streets within the Houston area more or less equally:

1) by zip code
2) by the last number in their address, license plate, or whatever.

Yes, lot of people will ignore instructions, just like lots of people will cut in line out of a faster lane. At least start with a sensible plan. After taking 24+ hours before hurricane, most will be willing to follow instructions to avoid that again.

Yonivore
09-25-2005, 08:24 AM

Doing it over 3 days is fine by me. To use the highways and streets within the Houston area more or less equally:

1) by zip code
2) by the last number in their address, license plate, or whatever.

Yes, lot of people will ignore instructions, just like lots of people will cut in line out of a faster lane. At least start with a sensible plan. After taking 24+ hours before hurricane, most will be willing to follow instructions to avoid that again.
It's easier to blockade quadrants than it is to blockade various zip codes. Even so, people are going to ignore the plan and fuck it all up anyway.

SpursWoman
09-25-2005, 09:13 AM

people are going to ignore the plan and fuck it all up anyway.

Just like the people in areas of Houston that weren't called yet for evacuation left anyway...fucking it up for those those that were. And then local government gets blamed and criticized by people not even effected in the first place. It's stupid.

Spurminator
09-25-2005, 07:15 PM
We're so fucking spoiled.

2.5 million people got out of Houston. That's 2.5 million who probably would not have died if a category 3 or 4 hurricane made direct impact with Houston.

And we're worried about people having to spend a day in a car.

I'd like to hear what a New Orleaner might say to people who are pissed off about traffic jams.

hussker
09-25-2005, 07:47 PM
Unfortunately, the next time this happens people will likely NOT leave. The same complacency that was evident in the Modern Day Atlantis known as NOLA.

Here is the question to ask yourself, and I know I am digressing:

If a bullet were travelling toward my head and destined to hit and kill me with a 40% probability, would I move myself given the chance, or stay and hope the 60% held true?

People play the lottery daily and think they are going to win at much less odds. My guess is people stay the next time.

If it were me, I would leave everytime.

Most of the NOLA Refusees would say glub, glub, glub...

Nbadan
09-26-2005, 01:25 AM
Unfortunately, the next time this happens people will likely NOT leave. The same complacency that was evident in the Modern Day Atlantis known as NOLA.

Here is the question to ask yourself, and I know I am digressing:

If a bullet were travelling toward my head and destined to hit and kill me with a 40% probability, would I move myself given the chance, or stay and hope the 60% held true?

People play the lottery daily and think they are going to win at much less odds. My guess is people stay the next time.

If it were me, I would leave everytime.

Most of the NOLA Refusees would say glub, glub, glub...

Great post! Rita coming so late in the summer contributed to it's dying down before striking land, but the next time we may not be so lucky, and unless Houston officials can come up with a better evacuation plan than the one we saw with Rita, we could someday have a tragedy even larger than NO on our hands.

ChumpDumper
09-26-2005, 01:44 AM
Being as how you're probably singleHey, you're wrong.

And fuck you.

SpursWoman
09-26-2005, 08:26 AM
Great post! Rita coming so late in the summer contributed to it's dying down before striking land, but the next time we may not be so lucky, and unless Houston officials can come up with a better evacuation plan than the one we saw with Rita, we could someday have a tragedy even larger than NO on our hands.

What would you do to make it better? And keep in mind, if you suggest a staggered evac that there are going to be tons of people that don't follow directions, creating the same kind of problem. If you're suggesting fuel tankers and courtesy patrols coming...they did. Their plan--which they actually followed--was to take 33-36 hours to evacuate the city...and that's exactly how long it took. That's why they called for the evacuation when they did, because they knew how long it was going to take.

Of course the inconvenience was a bitch...but would they rather have been 3-4 days on top of their roofs or trapped in their cars, or worse...dead? Ya'll are out of your mind if you think it's easy to move that many people in that short a period of time, expecting miracles that just aren't humanly possible. As nasty as it may have seemed, those highways were EMPTY by the time the hurricane made landfall.

Funny, I was thinking the other day...if traffic is not moving, or only moving 5mph or whatever, I'd have just turned off my car, opened my door, slid it into neutral and pushed with my foot every once in while. Of course, that helps when you have a smaller car. :lol

Hook Dem
09-26-2005, 09:04 AM
What would you do to make it better? And keep in mind, if you suggest a staggered evac that there are going to be tons of people that don't follow directions, creating the same kind of problem. If you're suggesting fuel tankers and courtesy patrols coming...they did. Their plan--which they actually followed--was to take 33-36 hours to evacuate the city...and that's exactly how long it took. That's why they called for the evacuation when they did, because they knew how long it was going to take.

Of course the inconvenience was a bitch...but would they rather have been 3-4 days on top of their roofs or trapped in their cars, or worse...dead? Ya'll are out of your mind if you think it's easy to move that many people in that short a period of time, expecting miracles that just aren't humanly possible. As nasty as it may have seemed, those highways were EMPTY by the time the hurricane made landfall.

Funny, I was thinking the other day...if traffic is not moving, or only moving 5mph or whatever, I'd have just turned off my car, opened my door, slid it into neutral and pushed with my foot every once in while. Of course, that helps when you have a smaller car. :lol
Very good points SW!

Hook Dem
09-26-2005, 09:05 AM
Hey, you're wrong.

And fuck you.
:lol

spurster
09-26-2005, 04:04 PM
Ok, I have to give the state credit. My sister made it back to Houston this morning in about 4 hours. If all the state wanted to do was to try to get some people to not drive in Saturday (and maybe Sunday), then what they did was good enough. Maybe people would have ignored anything with more detail.

Useruser666
09-26-2005, 04:55 PM
They should have put up DWI check points. That would have slowed down the evac. :lol

Nbadan
09-27-2005, 03:17 AM

Creative situations call for creative Ideas. I would have had a staggard evacuation based on zip codes. The low lying areas first. If you didn't live in a certain zip code or If you didn't have out of State plates, or weren't a resident of another TX city you wouldn't have been allowed to buy gas 30 miles out of the Houston city limits unless it was approved by a local police officer or State trooper in extreme situations. Beginning two days before Rita struck, I would have issued a Executive order limiting individual gasoline sales to everyone in the rural parts of Houston to only 10 gallons each. Too many people early in the evacuation eventually left the Houston area with 1/2 full tanks of gas. What a waste.

SpursWoman
09-27-2005, 06:29 AM
I don't think there would be enough manpower to police who is leaving and when...or how much gas they are getting. I don't have faith in the masses to follow specific directions...everyone thinks they are an exception and have a legitimate reason to not follow them, IMO.

I still think you'd end up with the same problem no matter which way you do it....and limiting cars to only 10 gallons each...as much as you guys hate the big trucks and SUVs, that's not an equitable distribution at all...so there'd be a whole lot of bitching about that, too. 10 gallons doesn't go as far in a Suburban than it does in a Miata...somehow I'd imagine that would end up as a Republican's fault, too. :lol

Nbadan
09-27-2005, 01:59 PM
I still think you'd end up with the same problem no matter which way you do it....and limiting cars to only 10 gallons each...as much as you guys hate the big trucks and SUVs, that's not an equitable distribution at all...so there'd be a whole lot of bitching about that, too. 10 gallons doesn't go as far in a Suburban than it does in a Miata...somehow I'd imagine that would end up as a Republican's fault, too.

Even if your driving a Tahoe, 10 gallons would get you, what? 150 miles. That should be enough for you to find another gas station further away or a hotel room. There should be some deterrence to buying gas-guzzling vehicles. Enforcement of gasoline restrictions would rest with the retailers, so you wouldn’t need many police. This would be a short-term situation.

SpursWoman
09-27-2005, 02:03 PM
Even if your driving a Tahoe, 10 gallons would get you, what? 150 miles. That should be enough for you to find another gas station further away or a hotel room. There should be some deterrence to buying gas-guzzling vehicles. Enforcement of gasoline restrictions would rest with the retailers, so you wouldn’t need many police. This would be a short-term situation.

True, but you know people would bitch....and blame FEMA or something. :spin