PDA

View Full Version : Shades of 2011

Amuseddaysleeper
02-19-2016, 12:04 AM
The defense is extremely overrated with this team, and unlike the 2011 this team struggles to generate open looks and now even hit them.

I do take this year's team over 2011 but I'd easily take any other Spurs team over this year's. It's going to be a very rude awakening come playoff time as too many players on this squad are over the hill.

And yes, Kawhi wasn't there but neither was Griffin or else we'd lose by 40. Not convinced these Spurs get past the Clippers in round 2 as Griffin and Paul will always show up, everyone is a question mark for us.

Enjoy your weekend :toast

Robz4000
02-19-2016, 12:08 AM
They'll play OKC, not the Clippers. Regardless, they're out in the second round.

All Mighty Janitor
02-19-2016, 12:45 AM
Just want to say that the Clippers have been playing very well w/o Blake.

J_Paco
02-19-2016, 12:54 AM
How quickly y'all are ready to jump ship when the team faces a little adversity. Thankfully, the players aren't as weak willed and heartless as some people in the fanbase. Health permitting, this team will be fine.

UNT Eagles 2016
02-19-2016, 01:04 AM
2011 was the year OP injured our team such that we lost a ton of games near the end of that year and wrote our epitaphs for the first round of the playoffs... correct?

LaMarcus Bryant
02-19-2016, 01:21 AM
2011 was the year OP injured our team such that we lost a ton of games near the end of that year and wrote our epitaphs for the first round of the playoffs... correct?

That was back when you were 14 and still played guitar

Kawhitstorm
02-19-2016, 01:22 AM
Shade of 2011 where Boban won't get off the bench while LMA gets his lunch eaten by Z-Bo in the 1st rd.

UNT Eagles 2016
That was back when you were 14 and still played guitar

16, turned 17 about during the big losing streak about 85% of the way thru the regular season.

UNT Eagles 2016
Shade of 2011 where Boban won't get off the bench while LMA gets his lunch eaten by Z-Bo in the 1st rd.

Boban = Tiago

LMA = Blair?

Kawhitstorm
02-19-2016, 01:23 AM
Boban = Tiago

LMA = Blair?

LMA=McDyess

Boris=Blair

UNT Eagles 2016
02-19-2016, 01:24 AM
LMA=McDyess

Or...

Tim = McDyess

LMA = Duncan

Seems more accurate.

Kawhitstorm
02-19-2016, 01:25 AM
Or...

Tim = McDyess

LMA = Duncan

Seems more accurate.

2016 Tim+ 2016 West=2011 Tim

LMA=McDyess+Dick Jefferson

Z-Bo OWNS Softridge just like he owned McDyess in the 2011 series.

UNT Eagles 2016
02-19-2016, 01:27 AM
2016 Tim+ 2016 West=2011 Tim

LMA=McDyess+Dick Jefferson
Nah. I like mine better. Duncan is old and mainly good for finishing layups, tip-ins, & defense at this point. Which was what McDyess was in 2011.

If you're going to cross positions, make TP = 2011 Dicky and Kawhi = 2011 TP, tbh.

Kawhitstorm
02-19-2016, 01:30 AM
Nah. I like mine better. Duncan is old and mainly good for finishing layups, tip-ins, & defense at this point. Which was what McDyess was in 2011.

If you're going to cross positions, make TP = 2011 Dicky and Kawhi = 2011 TP, tbh.

Porker got locked up by Baby Conley in 2011.

Tim wasn't great against the Grizz & his knee was bothering him. McDyess is more like the current D-Worst & got eaten alive by Z-Bo no matter how much he tried.

UNT Eagles 2016
02-19-2016, 01:32 AM
Porker got locked up by Baby Conley in 2011.

Tim wasn't great against the Grizz & his knee was bothering him. McDyess is more like the current D-Worst & got eaten alive by Z-Bo no matter how much he tried.
D-Worst is our Blair this year.

r0drig0lac
02-19-2016, 07:25 AM
playing style implemented this season will not work against real opponents, it is proved

Spurs 4 The Win
02-19-2016, 07:29 AM
playing style implemented this season will not work against real opponents, it is proved

Thats what everyone said in 2014 when we couldnt beat a playoff team... Good news for us :lobt2:

r0drig0lac
02-19-2016, 07:34 AM
Thats what everyone said in 2014 when we couldnt beat a playoff team... Good news for us :lobt2:

I hope you're right, but I still like to see more ball movement of recent years

baseline bum
02-19-2016, 08:33 AM

He injured our team by starting threads?

hater
02-19-2016, 08:41 AM
Too many mid range jumpers.
way way way way way too many mid range jumpers

Fucking crazy to believe we can win a couple of playoff rounds with this amount of mid range jumpers

Way way way too many

peacemaker885
02-19-2016, 08:52 AM
The system is broken.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
02-19-2016, 08:55 AM
Yup

NameLess Scrub
02-19-2016, 09:15 AM
Paul does whatever the heck he wants with this team.

He blows past anyone, makes a ton of mid range pull ups and lobs, and manipulates the refs at will.
Is very annoying to watch.

Crawford and Reddick were also owning the Spurs. Man, Aldrich was owning the Spurs.

I'm worried about the Spurs defense when nights like this happen. It's like 6 vs 4 there.

I expect (or hope), LaMarcus won't play like crap like last night in a playoffs series. And of course Kawhi will be there.

Fireball
02-19-2016, 09:25 AM

He's got the power ...

Spurs9
02-19-2016, 09:26 AM
Probably will get knocked out by Memphis with the new thug team they have.

r0drig0lac
02-19-2016, 09:47 AM
Probably will get knocked out by Memphis with the new thug team they have.

waiting warriors x grind grizzlies in the playoffs

itzsoweezee
02-19-2016, 10:44 AM
Yeah, can't beat good teams, health deteriorating as the schedule progresses. The defensive stats are also misleading. Opponent's ball movement kills this team. I think this version of the Spurs would get close to swept by lebron's heat team. Hopefully I'm wrong. Maybe they'll improve.

UNT Eagles 2016
02-19-2016, 12:47 PM
That's what I've heard.

RD2191
02-19-2016, 12:55 PM
They'll play OKC, not the Clippers. Regardless, they're out in the second round.

Muh nigga robz calling it like it is.

Brian Windhorst
02-19-2016, 01:13 PM
:lol

The Clippers are the Spurs worst matchup (besides GSW who is just better). Worse than OKC, worse than Memphis in 2011. When Crawford is on the floor there is no one you can hide TP on, and it doesn't help that the TP/TD combo has become practically unplayable against elite teams.

cd021
02-19-2016, 01:39 PM

Dyess was more of a pick and pop type. Duncan is probably playing much of the same in he did in '11. He wasn't a great mid range shooter (that changed in '12 and '13) that team ran on Parker and Ginobili while Duncan got easy buckets by hanging around the rim and finishing off of dump offs.

Leetonidas
02-19-2016, 01:41 PM
Spurs fans are such emo fags ugh

cd021
02-19-2016, 01:41 PM

The Clippers are the Spurs worst matchup (besides GSW who is just better). Worse than OKC, worse than Memphis in 2011. When Crawford is on the floor there is no one you can hide TP on, and it doesn't help that the TP/TD combo has become practically unplayable against elite teams.

Crawford is just as likely to go 2-12 as he is to 7-12. He was largely a dumpster fire in last years series. I still much rather play LAC than OKC. OKC can't defend but they have two players that can score 25 a night and a dominant rim protector in Ibaka and a good defensive big in Adams and an excellent offensive big in Kantor. They can be much more of a threat.

Horse
02-19-2016, 01:49 PM

The fact that it was still a game at halftime and even into the 4th proves you wrong. I've never seen a team so uninspired no Kawhi and the zebras.

UNT Eagles 2016
02-19-2016, 01:52 PM
Dyess was more of a pick and pop type. Duncan is probably playing much of the same in he did in '11. He wasn't a great mid range shooter (that changed in '12 and '13) that team ran on Parker and Ginobili while Duncan got easy buckets by hanging around the rim and finishing off of dump offs.
And Richard Jefferson and George Hill.

UNT Eagles 2016
02-19-2016, 01:53 PM
The fact that it was still a game at halftime and even into the 4th proves you wrong. I've never seen a team so uninspired no Kawhi and the zebras.
Popabitch wanted to guarantee we lost no matter what. When we got within striking distance for awhile (5-6 points down early in the 4th) he made sure to put in the worst lineups possible to ensure we went back down double digits.

T_L_P
02-19-2016, 02:02 PM

You know, except for the fact that Tim is like a top 5 defensive player and McDyess was merely a top 5 defensive Spur.

SAGirl
02-19-2016, 02:22 PM
Tony had just an abysmal game. As much criticism as our defense gets and a few breakdowns aside, it was a low scoring game at the half and we had a punchers chance in the 4th. With Tony playing that poorly the offense never clicked though. LMA didn't play well either but it's not like Tony was doing a good job setting others up. TD also struggled and he's a concern. On defense he was zoning in the paint which left 4-5 several possessions as he really wasn't guarding anyone. Danny had a cold shooting game. He had been scorching so it was bound to happen. KA was efficient and shooting well but he didn't get shots until the 3rd after hitting his initial jump shot. In general, Tony looked overmatched and didn't move the ball well.

All that said, Manu helps tremendously setting up the big men and he's missing. Kawhi can get his own shots and push the tempo when no one has it going on.

If anything I do share the concern the team is too old, specially all your most important players other than Kawhi who was absent here, Danny who is a roleplayer and Patty who may inherit the sixth man role from Manu, but he's not the same quality defensively. Diaw was owned by Aldrich and could not get a good shot as Aldrich is tall/long. It might have been wiser to give a chance to Boban against Aldrich, but he's still a project and had Pop done that more would be saying experiment.

cd021
02-19-2016, 03:19 PM
I think one of the misnomers of that series is that their bigs dominated ours. Duncan and Gasol were pretty much even. ZBo was dominant in that series but the perimeter defense was disruptive to our perimeter oriented game. Hill and Neal weren't nearly as good and RJ came up super small. Parker was ok and Manu played surprisingly well but our offense was predicated on up tempo play and 3pt shooting. The Spurs turned ball over at high rate and didn't shoot the ball well.

Kawhitstorm
02-19-2016, 03:44 PM
I think one of the misnomers of that series is that their bigs dominated ours. Duncan and Gasol were pretty much even. ZBo was dominant in that series but the perimeter defense was disruptive to our perimeter oriented game. Hill and Neal weren't nearly as good and RJ came up super small. Parker was ok and Manu played surprisingly well but our offense was predicated on up tempo play and 3pt shooting. The Spurs turned ball over at high rate and didn't shoot the ball well.

Conley was a nobody in 2011 & Porker was at the peak of his prime but he looked pretty ordinary in that series.

Kawhitstorm
02-19-2016, 03:51 PM
Crawford is just as likely to go 2-12 as he is to 7-12. He was largely a dumpster fire in last years series. I still much rather play LAC than OKC. OKC can't defend but they have two players that can score 25 a night and a dominant rim protector in Ibaka and a good defensive big in Adams and an excellent offensive big in Kantor. They can be much more of a threat.

Last I checked the Spurs beat MVP Durant & WestBrick along w/ Reggie Jackson @ OKC without Porker & Bonner starting :lol b/c Tiago was scared shitless of Ibaka. Replace Bonner w/ LMA & factor in Kawhi's improvement to the point where he could neutralize KD along w/ Reggie Jackson not being there to torment Patty. If they want to put in Kanter for Adams then it works in the Spurs favor b/c Adams give Tim trouble in the paint. Ever since they traded Harden, OKC has been crap on road playoff games too & they most likely won't have homecourt against the Spurs. Meanwhile the Cripples no longer fear the Spurs & have won multiple playoff game in SA but then I'm arguing with the same fools that claimed the Spurs would sweep the Cripples last season.:lol
Keep blabbering about the boogie man b/c of 2012.:wakeup

cd021
02-19-2016, 05:51 PM
Conley was a nobody in 2011 & Porker was at the peak of his prime but he looked pretty ordinary in that series.

Maybe Conley was nobody because Memphis had been ignored nationally. Parker did average 17ppg on 45% if i can recall. It wasn't a massive drop off from his regular season numbers.
One thing that stood out was Memphis would tip passes even if they didn't come up with a steal they forced the Spurs to retrieve the ball and essentially restart the play, more often than not the spurs couldn't score because they had to take bail out shots in those possessions.

Hill was decent in that series but Neal and RJ weren't. The bulk of the offense were split between Parker, Manu and Hill. Duncan was really the only effective front court player in that series and Gasol played him to a stalemate.