PDA

View Full Version : fair or excessive sentencing?

Blake
02-21-2016, 04:33 PM
"
A judge in central*Pennsylvania*refused to modify the sentence he imposed in a fatal crash, including provisions that the defendant carry the victim's picture and place flowers on her grave.

Jennifer Sloan, 34, of Cresson, an*Iraq war*veteran who said she turned to alcohol due to post-traumatic stress disorder, was sentenced in Blair County in December to 2 1/2 to five years in prison in the April 2013 death of 58-year-old Connie Naylor, of Dysart.

Sloan had lost her license due to drunken driving convictions but drove anyway, and wasn't legally drunk, but was driving more than 80 mph at the time of the fatal crash.

Defense attorney Thomas Dickey challenged the length of the prison sentence, calling it "unreasonable and manifestly excessive," The (Altoona) Mirror (http://bit.ly/1PNeqNy ) reported.

The judge also included special provisions that Sloan always carry of photograph of the victim, place flowers on her grave on the anniversary of the crash and donate $100 each year to the Women's Health Center in Ebensburg. Dickey also challenged those requirements, calling them "wholly and irrationally disproportionate to the crime."

The judge on Friday refused to alter his sentence, saying in a 14-page opinion that he believes the conditions he imposed were "fair and appropriate." He said repeatedly that he was not intending to punish Sloan but to remind her of the poor decisions she had made and to motivate her to seek alcohol treatment and counseling so she can be healthy and will no longer pose "a serious and substantial risk to safety of herself and others."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/judge-refuses-alter-veterans-sentence-fatal-crash-37082103

MultiTroll
02-21-2016, 04:46 PM
:lol 2 1/2 to 5 years (out in 14 months?) for driving 80mph on a suspended license and killing.
Wow.

Blake
02-21-2016, 04:58 PM
I'm pretty good with the jail time. It's the required photo carrying and grave site visitation that is weird to me

Wild Cobra
02-21-2016, 10:53 PM
I'm pretty good with the jail time. It's the required photo carrying and grave site visitation that is weird to me

Maybe, but it can serve value as a reminder of shame.

Blake
02-21-2016, 11:38 PM
Maybe, but it can serve value as a reminder of shame.

I don't think it's a judge's place to come up with extra curricular punishment. I've rarely seen one that I thought was a good idea.

Aztecfan03
02-22-2016, 01:31 AM

I don't think it's a judge's place to come up with extra curricular punishment. I've rarely seen one that I thought was a good idea.

Agree with you here.

z0sa
02-22-2016, 02:52 AM
I agree with the judge. I bet she thinks twice about drinking and/or driving recklessly when she pulls out the picture of the dead person she killed.

InRareForm
02-22-2016, 03:49 AM
not excessive at all