PDA

View Full Version : 70 wins...

apalisoc_9
02-22-2016, 12:04 AM
The warriors have pretty much won the first seed, Imo. I say the spurs chances of finishing 1st is around 5% and 70 wins around 10%.

Spurs are 47-9 right now so they have room to lose 3 games in the next 26 games. The schedule is going to be tough, but if they can manage to not lose more than 1 in the winnable games and lose only two against GSW-OKC they'd win 70.

Obviously Pop will rest players but the spurs are still a hell of a team even considering rest.

If they can manage to reach 60 wins with only 10 loses....

DPG21920
02-22-2016, 12:13 AM
IMO there is no chance. Too many injuries creeping in. Too many moments where they are still learning each other. Too many hitches on both sides of the ball.

It's not a complaint, just observation.

ace3g
02-22-2016, 12:16 AM
I still think the Warriors won't get there either; Resting near the end of the season is going to happen.

DPG21920
02-22-2016, 12:17 AM
I still think the Warriors won't get there either; Resting near the end of the season is going to happen.

I would say yes to that as well, but I do think Kerr may push that. They talk about it openly and seem to have that as a goal. I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Spurs9
02-22-2016, 12:29 AM
What does 70 wins even matter if you get knocked out in the 2nd round or wcf?

apalisoc_9
02-22-2016, 12:32 AM
If they can cut the GSW lead to 2 games before the 70 game mark, you fight for homecourt. That doesnt mean you play your playoff rotation or anything, but you play the average. I see no reason why they'd concede at that point. Home court is huge.

If OKC was closer to San Antonio, Id give the spurs a 20% chance of reaching 70. But the spurs have a healthy lead now so its unlikely OKC pressures San Antonio.

Neither GSW or SAS would tale chances. GSW knows there still a small chance SAS steals the first seed. We're actually pushing them to reach 70.

If the Spurs are 5 games behind in the 70 game mark, I expect them to rest players. Otherwise, its stupid to concede.

apalisoc_9
02-22-2016, 12:33 AM

Were not players, were just fans so like to talk about possibilities.

illusioNtEk
02-22-2016, 12:35 AM
who cares about regular season... don't you guys ever learn?

its about being healthy when the real games start

apalisoc_9
02-22-2016, 12:36 AM
who cares about regular season... don't you guys ever learn?

its about being healthy when the real games start

Jesus christ..This is a basketball forum where fans are allowed to talk about possibilities. Stop acting like coaches.

Cliche wannabe part of the team mentalitiy..:lmao

BillMc
02-22-2016, 12:38 AM
Get that second seed (ahead of both OKC and the Cavs) and go into the playoffs healthy. That's all that matters. 70 would be cool but Spurs culture doesn't care about such things.

ElNono
02-22-2016, 12:39 AM
what's pretty crazy is that this could be a 65+ wins team and still not favored to win it all...

ace3g
02-22-2016, 12:45 AM
what's pretty crazy is that this could be a 65+ wins team and still not favored to win it all...

and in a perfect world, Blazers finish at the 8th seed

houston spurs fan
02-22-2016, 01:03 AM
Yet, some posters like Apa continue to relentlessly bash LMA, Parker, Pop,etc...Ironic, huh?

Hoops Czar
02-22-2016, 01:13 AM
Spurs have been playing some of their worst basketball of the season, scraping by two of the worst teams in the league and somebody wants to use the Spurs and 70 wins in the same sentence. :lol They have one healthy pg on the roster, the bigs look tired, dazed and confused, Bench can't create offense for themselves and the D is atrocious, Paddy Mills is the new Marco belinelli, the Spurs are a combined 2-5 against the Cavs, Raptors, Dubs, Thunder and Clippers and the schedule is about to get much tougher. Hell, at the way the Spurs are playing, I'm not even sure they'll beat the Kings on Wednesday.

james evans
02-22-2016, 01:17 AM
when we lock up the 2nd seed, I say rest for the remainder of the season and hope portland gets the 8th seed :lol

BatManu20
02-22-2016, 01:19 AM
I think we win 65. Tougher schedule the rest of the way, particularly the last month. Pop will start to rest players considerably once we have the #2 seed all but locked up imo.

spursistan
02-22-2016, 01:27 AM
those shitty losses to Wizards and a 1-11 Pelicans team :bang..

Need to get HC against the Cavs, so that might temper Pop punting ways until the last week..And, yeah, Home Court does matter between elite teams..

apalisoc_9
02-22-2016, 01:29 AM
those shitty losses to Wizards and a 1-11 Pelicans team :bang..

Need to get HC against the Cavs, so that might temper Pop punting ways until the last week..And, yeah, Home Court does matter between elite teams..

Yeah, I didn't even think about Cleveland. Cavs might push us.

We're pushing Golden State too though.

Ditty
02-22-2016, 01:30 AM
Don't care about wins, as long as we are able to rest our starters the final two/three games of the season, and able to have HCA against everyone except GS then I will be happy.

Think this will how it will play out:

1) Warriors
2) Spurs
3) Thunder
4) Clippers
5) Mavs
6) Grizzlies
7) Blazers
8) Jazz

What I realistically would like to see based on matchups:

1) Warriors
2) Spurs
3) Thunder
4) Clippers
5) Grizzlies (Think they have some interesting matchups that they could give the Clips some trouble.)
6) Rockets (Matchup with the OKC pretty well, could see this being a 7 game series if Harden gets it going and Howard is serviceable. Bev will definitely try to get physical w/ Westbrook)
7) Mavericks (No matchup issues for the Spurs, would go to five games at most plus limited traveling.)
8) Blazers ( Won't beat the Warriors, but Curry and Thompson would have their hands full on defense with Lillard and McCollum.)

Clipper Nation
02-22-2016, 01:50 AM
Jesus christ..This is a basketball forum where fans are allowed to talk about possibilities. Stop acting like coaches.

Tbh, I can't blame the average upstairs Spurfan for wanting to be part of the team. They see that fatass scrub Porker waddle out onto the court every game for his guaranteed minutes and think, "if he can do it, why can't I?"

apalisoc_9
02-22-2016, 01:56 AM
Tbh, I can't blame the average upstairs Spurfan for wanting to be part of the team. They see that fatass scrub Porker waddle out onto the court every game for his guaranteed minutes and think, "if he can do it, why can't I?"

:lmao

kobyz
02-22-2016, 02:00 AM
What does 70 wins even matter if then matt barnes happen and you get knocked out in the 1st round?

phxspurfan
02-22-2016, 02:17 AM
We would be the worst 65 win team in history. Total fools gold when we can't beat the Cavs, Warriors, Thunders, Clips or Bulls

Spurs 4 The Win
02-22-2016, 02:43 AM
Don't care about wins, as long as we are able to rest our starters the final two/three games of the season, and able to have HCA against everyone except GS then I will be happy.

Think this will how it will play out:

1) Warriors
2) Spurs
3) Thunder
4) Clippers
5) Mavs
6) Grizzlies
7) Blazers
8) Jazz

What I realistically would like to see based on matchups:

1) Warriors
2) Spurs
3) Thunder
4) Clippers
5) Grizzlies (Think they have some interesting matchups that they could give the Clips some trouble.)
6) Rockets (Matchup with the OKC pretty well, could see this being a 7 game series if Harden gets it going and Howard is serviceable. Bev will definitely try to get physical w/ Westbrook)
7) Mavericks (No matchup issues for the Spurs, would go to five games at most plus limited traveling.)
8) Blazers ( Won't beat the Warriors, but Curry and Thompson would have their hands full on defense with Lillard and McCollum.)

Mavs are 4 games back of the 5 seed at the moment

spurtech09
02-22-2016, 02:58 AM
Get that second seed (ahead of both OKC and the Cavs) and go into the playoffs healthy. That's all that matters. 70 would be cool but Spurs culture doesn't care about such things.

spurtech09
02-22-2016, 03:01 AM
We would be the worst 65 win team in history. Total fools gold when we can't beat the Cavs, Warriors, Thunders, Clips or BullsUm Spurs beat the Cavs in SA......remember.....you remember?......You remember right?

spurtech09
02-22-2016, 03:03 AM
This

will_spurs
02-22-2016, 03:08 AM
Um Spurs beat the Cavs in SA......remember.....you remember?......You remember right?

Wasn't that more than a week ago? He probably doesn't remember, then.

Joseph Kony
02-22-2016, 03:11 AM
We would be the worst 65 win team in history. Total fools gold when we can't beat the Cavs, Warriors, Thunders, Clips or Bulls

Except the Spurs have beaten the Cavs and Clips already, only played Thunder/Warriors once, and Bulls are not relevant in the discussion anyway. Fail post :td

Ditty
02-22-2016, 05:27 AM
Mavs are 4 games back of the 5 seed at the moment

Think Memphis is going to drop a bit due to Gasol's season ending injury imo. Hopefully Mavs drop some games so they hang around the 7th seed though.

MoSpur
02-22-2016, 05:47 AM
Pop would do everything he can to Not win 70 games. :pop:

r0drig0lac
02-22-2016, 06:25 AM

agree

TheDoctor
02-22-2016, 06:25 AM
Anyone outside the team pushing/rooting for 70 wins it's just for bragging rights tbh.

NameLess Scrub
02-22-2016, 08:24 AM
It will all depend on the Cavs or OKC. If they're close the Spurs might push for it. If they aren't, no way.

Pop will rest Timmy/Manu/Tony for the post season.

I still wish Curry would get in a slump and the Warriors dropped games.

pgardn
02-22-2016, 08:38 AM
The warriors have pretty much won the first seed, Imo. I say the spurs chances of finishing 1st is around 5% and 70 wins around 10%.

Spurs are 47-9 right now so they have room to lose 3 games in the next 26 games. The schedule is going to be tough, but if they can manage to not lose more than 1 in the winnable games and lose only two against GSW-OKC they'd win 70.

Obviously Pop will rest players but the spurs are still a hell of a team even considering rest.

If they can manage to reach 60 wins with only 10 loses....

Keep drumming on this silliness.

Health, focus, playoffs... Fah get about it.

hater
02-22-2016, 09:03 AM
Nobody is beating the Cavs in the finals so all this is moot

SASdynasty!
02-22-2016, 09:09 AM
"Why can't I be the all-time leading playoff-scoring PG in the history of the NBA?"
"Why can't I be the all-time winningest player through 1,000 games in the history of the NBA?"
"Why can't I be a FMVP?"
"Why can't I lead a team in scoring and assists throughout the regular season and playoffs to win a championship?"

Yah, we all think those things.

Old School 44
02-22-2016, 09:32 AM
The terrible part about the end of the schedule is if the Spurs/Warriors/OkC are already locked into their respective playoff positions, the NBA schedule makers and the fans may be watching so-called big games with second and third stringers.

The last 5 games for the Spurs are:

4/7 Warriors
4/8 Nuggets
4/10 Warriors
4/12 Thunder
4/13 Mavs

Can you imagine if the Warriors are playing on National TV for win 73 against Boban, McCallum, Bonner, Simmons, Anderson?

02-22-2016, 01:16 PM
Yeah... the Spurs just got blown out by the Clippers and barely squeaked by two high lottery teams. Spurs also have multiple games remaining vs OKC and the Warriors (2-3 apiece IIRC). Not going to hit 70 wins. And why even go for 70 wins? That's not even the record.

Also, Warriors have a good chance of beating the 72-win record this season. They only need to go 24-4. They have 5 games left vs OKC and the Spurs, and they should be able to win at least 3, maybe even 4 of them (especially since 2 of the Spurs games are at the end of the season where Pop will rest players). That leaves the Warriors two losses. They definitely have a lot more games vs playoff teams but they can set a new record if Kerr is willing to go all out. It's not like this record is some stupid trivial record like "most wins in a season in a year that ends in the number 6." This is the record for the best of all time in the history of the NBA. You have to think the Warriors will go for that record.

cjw
02-22-2016, 01:31 PM
The Spurs are one GSW loss from controlling their own destiny. Not that they will win out, but pretty remarkable considering what a run the Warriors are on. Basketball-Reference gives the Spurs slightly greater than a 11% chance of catching them. Note that the two GSW @ SAS games are on back to backs for GSW, so that could factor into it.

The Thunder falling seven back in the loss column, and even if they were to go 23-3, the Spurs would have to go 16-10 to be caught. Not happening, considering the Thunder have six more road B2B - GSW (3/3), SAS (3/12), IND (3/19), DET (3/29), POR (4/6) and SAS (4/12).

Spurs also have six road B2B starting next week with UTA (2/25), NOP (3/3), MIN (3/8), OKC (3/26), DEN (4/8, sandwiched between GSW games) and DAL (4/13). Doubt they keep their undefeated mark in second night of B2B going. Amazing that neither the Spurs nor OKC have any home B2B left.

GSW also have six B2B left, though two at home and the ORL/PHX games are much easier than any the Spurs or Thunder have. @ ORL, vs. ORL, vs. PHX, @ SAS, @ UTA, @ SAS.

Spurs will know by the last night of the season whether or not OKC can catch them. If they can't catch GSW, and CLE can't catch them, then everyone will rest.

houston spurs fan
02-22-2016, 01:36 PM
Irrelevant. Just gotta get Gino and Kawhi back at 100%. A healthy TP and TD going in to the playoffs. Boris to stop coasting. DWest with hunger and the playoff intensity he'll bring. Danny and LMA to be aggressive and play good D. I like our chances, can't wait for the playoffs to start...

FromWayDowntown
02-22-2016, 01:39 PM
I don't think 70 wins is feasible and I don't think there's any chance that Pop would go for it unless there was a realistic chance to track down GST. As it stands, the Spurs magic number to clinch a playoff birth is only 7 and the magic number to clinch a top-4 seed (i.e., HCA in Round 1) is only 12. Barring some utter collapse, those will basically be done in mid-March. Even the magic number to clinch the 2 seed is relatively low at 19 with 26 games to go.

The point of all of that is that as the Spurs pass certain clinching milestones, the need to continue winning will diminish, particularly if the distance to GST doesn't start to close soon.

At 47-9, there are only 6 teams in NBA history that have won more of their first 56 games (roughly 2/3 of the way through the season) than this year's Spurs:

50 -- 1995-96 Bulls
49 -- 1971-72 Lakers, 1982-83 Sixers, 1996-97 Bulls, 2015-16 Warriors (have only played 54 games)
48 -- 1966-67 Sixers

Only 2 other teams have started at least 47-9: 2005-06 Pistons and 2006-07 Mavericks

Unfortunately, it does seem like this year's Spurs are on course to end up more like the Pistons and Mavericks teams (each of which failed to reach the Finals) than like the Bulls, Lakers, and Sixers teams in this category (all of which won titles and are considered to be among the elite of the elite, historically).

SAGirl
02-22-2016, 01:45 PM
The only thing that derails GSW is injuries to their key guys, which require rest, not a shin bump. And with their blowouts they can limit minutes and their key guys are young.

For us, we can't afford to be after records. POP rests guys and he doesn't take unnecessary risks--see the Kawhi sore calf injury. Also we have an old team...

I actually am more inclined to see difficulties ahead for us than a cakewalk.

steeledl
02-22-2016, 02:17 PM
I don't see us getting to 70. We've been playing like shit with these injuries...

spursistan
02-22-2016, 03:31 PM
The Spurs are one GSW loss from controlling their own destiny. Not that they will win out, but pretty remarkable considering what a run the Warriors are on. Basketball-Reference gives the Spurs slightly greater than a 11% chance of catching them. Note that the two GSW @ SAS games are on back to backs for GSW, so that could factor into it.

The Thunder falling seven back in the loss column, and even if they were to go 23-3, the Spurs would have to go 16-10 to be caught. Not happening, considering the Thunder have six more road B2B - GSW (3/3), SAS (3/12), IND (3/19), DET (3/29), POR (4/6) and SAS (4/12).

Spurs also have six road B2B starting next week with UTA (2/25), NOP (3/3), MIN (3/8), OKC (3/26), DEN (4/8, sandwiched between GSW games) and DAL (4/13). Doubt they keep their undefeated mark in second night of B2B going. Amazing that neither the Spurs nor OKC have any home B2B left.

GSW also have six B2B left, though two at home and the ORL/PHX games are much easier than any the Spurs or Thunder have. @ ORL, vs. ORL, vs. PHX, @ SAS, @ UTA, @ SAS.

Spurs will know by the last night of the season whether or not OKC can catch them. If they can't catch GSW, and CLE can't catch them, then everyone will rest.

I'm actually starting to root for the Thunder a bit so LAC won't catch them..They are only 3 games ahead of the Clippers but have a brutal ending schedule with only 9 home games left vs 17 on the road :wow..thy have no chance of at 2nd seed unless, heaven forbid, Kawhi is out for the rest of season..

Baseline21
02-22-2016, 04:22 PM
Either way I would rather play clippers then OKC. If u guys look at standings the clippers are almost catching thunder for the 3seed. If thunder get 4 seed would be nice for Spurs fans. Warriors vs thunder in 2nd rd wouldn't be a gimme for warriors. What u guys think?

apalisoc_9
02-22-2016, 04:34 PM

Amazing informative post. Better than the majority cliche "just stay healthy who cares post".

The dubs are on a road trip right now so if they slip a little bit, the spurs should gun for first seed imo...if the finish their road trip with 7 loses, we have oursleves a race, Imo.

cjw
02-23-2016, 10:48 PM
Amazing informative post. Better than the majority cliche "just stay healthy who cares post".

The dubs are on a road trip right now so if they slip a little bit, the spurs should gun for first seed imo...if the finish their road trip with 7 loses, we have oursleves a race, Imo.

Thanks. Given how many people have won in each GS and SA over the past year, it would be stupid not to gun for the one seed. As someone else mentioned, Clippers are a bad matchup - I think Redick is what makes that machine tick as much as anything with his constant movement.

Stating the obvious, but home court not only guarantees you can advance by holding serve at home, but should you drop one at home, you only need to win 1 of 3 instead of 2 of 4 on the road. Huge difference.

apalisoc_9
02-23-2016, 10:56 PM
Thanks. Given how many people have won in each GS and SA over the past year, it would be stupid not to gun for the one seed. As someone else mentioned, Clippers are a bad matchup - I think Redick is what makes that machine tick as much as anything with his constant movement.

Stating the obvious, but home court not only guarantees you can advance by holding serve at home, but should you drop one at home, you only need to win 1 of 3 instead of 2 of 4 on the road. Huge difference.

Reddick is part of the team but its really a combination of personel. The Clippers murdered the spurs with their 45 set. That set is so deadly, specially against the spurs because it utilizes everyones strong point. Reddick serves as the gravity of ball and the threat of a simple flair screen for reddick makes it hard for players to help. Jordan's air gravity provides paul space and the top all for Blake.

That set essentially beat the spurs. They couldnt stop it. They didnt have the personel with tony being terrible and Splitter being injured.

ceperez
02-24-2016, 07:30 AM
Reddick is part of the team but its really a combination of personel. The Clippers murdered the spurs with their 45 set. That set is so deadly, specially against the spurs because it utilizes everyones strong point. Reddick serves as the gravity of ball and the threat of a simple flair screen for reddick makes it hard for players to help. Jordan's air gravity provides paul space and the top all for Blake.

That set essentially beat the spurs. They couldnt stop it. They didnt have the personel with tony being terrible and Splitter being injured.

Spurs problem is that there are very few (if any) killer offensive sets. Clippers can keep doing what they do and we have less than 50% chance of stopping it. The only way that Spurs seem to score is when the defense makes a mental mistake.

Aldridge and Kawhi aren't good enough offensively to be unstoppable individually.

spursistan
03-04-2016, 05:22 PM
Well..well...

18-3..pretty feasible if Pop goes for it ..basically lose 2 vs GSW+ @ OKC...

Just hoping Warriors drop a couple to keep us in the hunt for Top seed..they are likely going to rest guys in their upcoming homestend against weak competition..

random21
03-04-2016, 05:35 PM
18-3.... If we can get through the mid March tough home stretch, then the last week of the season...

UNT Eagles 2016
03-04-2016, 05:40 PM
Well..well...

18-3..pretty feasible if Pop goes for it ..basically lose 2 vs GSW+ @ OKC...

Just hoping Warriors drop a couple to keep us in the hunt for Top seed..they are likely going to rest guys in their upcoming homestend against weak competition..
Don't think they'll rest much at home tbh.

spursistan
03-04-2016, 06:02 PM
Don't think they'll rest much at home tbh.
Curry might get one..he looked less than great (for his video-game standards) yesterday coming off the ankle..Iggy was bad because he rushed from hamstring tightness..they might get caught off guard by Portland/Jazz..these fuckers have lucked out way too many games..Really we should be only 2 Ls behind and game on for Top seed :pctoss

UNT Eagles 2016
03-04-2016, 06:04 PM
Curry might get one..he looked less than great (for his video-game standards) yesterday coming off the ankle..Iggy was bad because he rushed from hamstring tightness..they might get caught off guard by Portland/Jazz..these fuckers have lucked out way too many games..Really we should be only 2 Ls behind and game on for Top seed :pctoss
don't think they lose at home tbh except maybe to us

Obi Juan Kenobi
03-04-2016, 06:06 PM
Doubt it TBH...

Horry Hipcheck
03-04-2016, 08:32 PM
70 only happens if Pop sees GSW slipping and subsequently steps on the accelerator in the run-in. There is no sexy second round situation for the Spurs, so HCA through all four potential rounds would be the only benefit. Health is a huge factor, but I'm so-so on rest. Pulling players out of their rotations and rhythms with two weeks before Game 1 tips off can be detrimental, and I'd rather not watch the Spurs struggle to get into gear against white-hot Portland or Houston.

If GSW can show signs of weakness in the next few weeks, they may go for it. Otherwise they'll coast to 65-68 wins.

Horry Hipcheck
03-04-2016, 08:34 PM
Either way I would rather play clippers then OKC. If u guys look at standings the clippers are almost catching thunder for the 3seed. If thunder get 4 seed would be nice for Spurs fans. Warriors vs thunder in 2nd rd wouldn't be a gimme for warriors. What u guys think?

Now that we've had a few more games between those two, I think it's a fair assessment that OKC won't give the Warriors much of a fight in a hypothetical second round. GSW is at least 10 deep on weapons, OKC clearly has nothing outside KD and Westbrick. The Clips are clearly the better choice to knock them off.

Baseline21
03-04-2016, 09:49 PM
Yeah, I think it's the clippers with the better shot then OKC by how they been playing lately. How things been going for OKC it looks like it's the time to get them in the post season then the clippers but with OKC losing the regular season against warriors could only fire up the thunder come post season when they face warriors. Let's face it everyone will be picking warriors for a 5 game series but I don't think it's going to be that quick of a series. I like cp3 more better against steph then I like Russell. It just showed these last couple games vs warriors. Russ against warriors is so wild and inconsistent. Cp3 takes the steph matchup personal.

LoneStarState'sPride
03-04-2016, 09:53 PM
Pop doesn't give a shit about the 1 seed or 70 wins tbh. Team is good enough to hit that mark, but I doubt he pushes them hard enough to do so. No point.

apalisoc_9
03-20-2016, 03:01 AM
Need to go 11-2 in the next 13.

Top 5 toughest matchups.

5. TORONTO
4. OKC
3.GSW
2.OKC
1.GSW