PDA

View Full Version : Europe: Where is all this great new generation of talent when 7/10 of the league is tanking?

ElNono
02-22-2016, 02:31 AM
League has been selling all this great new generation of talent but not only the East is still a one, maybe two team race, now the West joined them and what used to be a 6-7 team race has basically been reduced to 3-4... the rest of the league is for all intents and purposes tanking. Worst of all, pretty much none of those top 4-5 teams are "superteams" or anything like that. Maybe two-three "star" or borderline "star" players per team, but generally speaking, there's no superfriends there.

It's true that Golden State is having an historical run, but I can't think 7/10 teams just decided to sit this one out. Adam Silver yapped about making the league more competitive since the last CBA and it's been nothing but lopsided.

What the hell is going on? Where's the explosion of talent that's going to elevate the league? Anthony Davis is going to lead his team to the lottery for yet another season. Harden/Dwight can barely make the playoffs. Drummond was the next big thing, and the Pistons started with a bang, but now they're fighting for their playoffs lives. Gasol bros got old. All that Orlando picks and youth, still a work in progress. John Wall and the Wiz still a fraud.

apalisoc_9
02-22-2016, 02:35 AM
Many organizations are still shitty...the players evolved, but we still have the same shitty coaches and the same shirty gms.

Joseph Kony
02-22-2016, 03:33 AM
Things can change quickly. Just think of how things looked in 2010 compared to now. Superfriends, 2013 L:lolkers, Clippers becoming relevant, Dallas winning a ring then returning to mediocrity, GS ascending to being one of the greatest teams ever, LeBron going back to Cleveland, etc. Just in this decade so far you have Lakers, Heat, Mavs, Warriors, and Spurs who have all won rings and it's only 2016. True that all those teams except for the Mavs have won titles before but still, at the least the same team isn't winning the chip every season

Mal
02-22-2016, 03:40 AM
Those one and done player, may have talent, but if they end up in Lakers they are fucked.

tlongII
02-22-2016, 04:09 AM
Blazers.

gambit1990
02-22-2016, 04:36 AM
the East is still a one, maybe two team race, now the West joined them and what used to be a 6-7 team race has basically been reduced to 3-4
:rollin

the east has been a one, maybe two team race for at least a decade.

and the western conference has NEVER been a 6 to 7 team race :rollin

what a shitty and unnecessary thread OP made.

each nba season only has 3, MAYBE 4 contenders. who are you even bitching at? :lol

ambchang
02-22-2016, 06:37 AM
GSW and Spurs both having these great records more because most of the league really suck.

hater
02-22-2016, 07:56 AM
It's a myth

This league is in its shityiest states yet. That's why you have mediocre teams like the spurs and worriers breaking win records :lol

Any of these 2 teams would get bukkaked by the 04 spurs or pistons or the 08 Celtics or Lakers.

Shit league is an embarrassment. I would be embarrassed if I was a part of it

Killakobe81
02-22-2016, 08:19 AM
I do think the Spurs and Dubs metrics are inflated a bit by a down league ...however both are well coached and led by two young superstars who would be good in any era.

That being said i dont see all these metric savvy teams doing all that much better ...even with the new CBA in place ...and analytics gurus to follow ...teams are still throwing big money at players not worth max deals and even if the new CBA tells you that wont be a bad deal once the cap rises its STILL a bad deal if that player wasnt worth it in the first place ...
Silver was just whining again recently about unintended ... consequences of the last cba deal.
As someone above me stated ...wont matter as long as these dumbass owners and GMs keep paying non stars big money. LEbron, Steph, Adavis etc should be able to get whatever the market bears ...but the Carrolls, hayward, middletons would get good, not great money.
For example, I like Harrison Barnes want him on the Lakers but not at max money. Its crazy for even a shitty team like us to pay him that ...dont think gstate is that dumb but if they repeat because of the new cba they will feel pressure to match with the Curry extension looming ... smh

DMC
02-22-2016, 08:27 AM
League has been selling all this great new generation of talent but not only the East is still a one, maybe two team race, now the West joined them and what used to be a 6-7 team race has basically been reduced to 3-4... the rest of the league is for all intents and purposes tanking. Worst of all, pretty much none of those top 4-5 teams are "superteams" or anything like that. Maybe two-three "star" or borderline "star" players per team, but generally speaking, there's no superfriends there.

It's true that Golden State is having an historical run, but I can't think 7/10 teams just decided to sit this one out. Adam Silver yapped about making the league more competitive since the last CBA and it's been nothing but lopsided.

What the hell is going on? Where's the explosion of talent that's going to elevate the league? Anthony Davis is going to lead his team to the lottery for yet another season. Harden/Dwight can barely make the playoffs. Drummond was the next big thing, and the Pistons started with a bang, but now they're fighting for their playoffs lives. Gasol bros got old. All that Orlando picks and youth, still a work in progress. John Wall and the Wiz still a fraud.

This is why I think tanking for lottery picks is a losing proposition. It's better to have 1st pick than not have it, but there's just no overwhelming talent coming out of HS or college right now. Add to that the fact that the league has gone from isolation ball to actually moving without the ball and setting screens, and it quickly becomes apparent that a newcomer, even a good one, is going to have a hard time making an impact in the 1st few years. There's not much inside out play, not many post ups, it's all the 3 ball and yet colleges are still putting out iso guys and tall guys with handles. So why lose a portion of your fan base to get a guy who might just be an average player? Lakers can afford that move, the TV deal makes it so, but teams like the 76ers haven't been relevant since Iverson's days.

Killakobe81
02-22-2016, 08:32 AM
This is why I think tanking for lottery picks is a losing proposition. It's better to have 1st pick than not have it, but there's just no overwhelming talent coming out of HS or college right now. Add to that the fact that the league has gone from isolation ball to actually moving without the ball and setting screens, and it quickly becomes apparent that a newcomer, even a good one, is going to have a hard time making an impact in the 1st few years. There's not much inside out play, not many post ups, it's all the 3 ball and yet colleges are still putting out iso guys and tall guys with handles.

Of course there is no sure things even Ingram and Simmons have questions,to answer as pros. But because you have to overpay for middling talent in the current NBA i would rather tank. Boston did it the right way. Sold off their vets for picks, got a smart young coach to develop have held their cap soace and picks waiting to pounce on a big trade or signing. I hate those fucks but they played the game perfectly ....fuck!!!
Now i just hope they dont land Simmons or a star becauae they have done everything else right ...

DMC
02-22-2016, 08:34 AM
It's a myth

This league is in its shityiest states yet. That's why you have mediocre teams like the spurs and worriers breaking win records :lol

Any of these 2 teams would get bukkaked by the 04 spurs or pistons or the 08 Celtics or Lakers.

Shit league is an embarrassment. I would be embarrassed if I was a part of it

Like the Bulls' record wasn't during league expansion? lol

Like Wilt's records weren't inflated bullshit due to cherry picking and the fact that someone had to be the first giant in the league?

Like 10 years of Lakers/Celtics wasn't during an era where most dudes were playing high as fuck and you knew not only who was going to win this year, but in 3 years as well? Yeah that was exciting for fans of other teams back then. No wonder there was only ever one game shown on TV.

hater
02-22-2016, 08:53 AM
Like the Bulls' record wasn't during league expansion? lol

Like Wilt's records weren't inflated bullshit due to cherry picking and the fact that someone had to be the first giant in the league?

Like 10 years of Lakers/Celtics wasn't during an era where most dudes were playing high as fuck and you knew not only who was going to win this year, but in 3 years as well? Yeah that was exciting for fans of other teams back then. No wonder there was only ever one game shown on TV.

its obvious the bulls were a legit team. Nkt a mediocre flawed team like spurs or worriers.

Nit sure about old laker celtics team but thats a complete different era. I dont ever loom that far back. I believe black ppl were still in chains back to then...

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-22-2016, 09:05 AM

each nba season only has 3, MAYBE 4 contenders. who are you even bitching at? :lol

^ This. There are always very few real contenders. The league this year is not different than it has been.

And the east is not bad either, it's just that there's only one really good team and quite a few decent ones. Remember when a Byron Scott coached team made back to back finals? That was when the east was horrible.

lefty
02-22-2016, 09:37 AM
TODAY'S NBA

:lmao

Killakobe81
02-22-2016, 09:51 AM
^ This. There are always very few real contenders. The league this year is not different than it has been.

And the east is not bad either, it's just that there's only one really good team and quite a few decent ones. Remember when a Byron Scott coached team made back to back finals? That was when the east was horrible.

The East isn't bad? I hear plenty on here talking about DD is overrated not a max player but he is the Raps leading scorer. Lowry who the Rox let walk is their 2nd best and they are #2 in the East. The Celts though extremely well coached have no legit stars but are #3 in the ECF. Even is a down year for the West those teams are probably a 6th and 7th in the West if all teams are healthy.
The league is bad ... but just like most years there is only 4-5 legit title contenders and a case can be made there really is only 3: Dubs, Spurs and Cavs because of LeBron ...
The bad play in both conferences have elevated all the teams with good coaching Gstate and Spurs look all time great record and metric wise ... but solid well coached mediocre squads like the Celts get a 3 seed when their talent really dictates a 5th seed or lower in a strong conference.

DPG21920
02-22-2016, 10:24 AM
Of course there is no sure things even Ingram and Simmons have questions,to answer as pros. But because you have to overpay for middling talent in the current NBA i would rather tank. Boston did it the right way. Sold off their vets for picks, got a smart young coach to develop have held their cap soace and picks waiting to pounce on a big trade or signing. I hate those fucks but they played the game perfectly ....fuck!!!
Now i just hope they dont land Simmons or a star becauae they have done everything else right ...

BOS drafted pretty poorly overall though. Even with all the "assets" they didn't hit any home runs in the draft at all and don't have any cornerstone to show for their work. Just a bunch of players who are decent to good and have question marks with regards to building around them.

Killakobe81
02-22-2016, 11:03 AM
BOS drafted pretty poorly overall though. Even with all the "assets" they didn't hit any home runs in the draft at all and don't have any cornerstone to show for their work. Just a bunch of players who are decent to good and have question marks with regards to building around them.

I agree and it's the only reason I am not shitting my pants. But really it's not like they drafted at #1 and passed on Wiggins or KAT. They still need a star they wont win #18 without one or two ... but they aren't paying Pierce or KG or even Rondo big money they tapped out early which was smart.

Deeps let's say they draft 3rd or 4th and Sixers already have Oak/noel embiid maybe they can flip something for Simmons or gamble on Embiid or take Oak or Noel if Sixers want to bring up that poor fit. They a boatload of picks plus Brooklyn's which is unprotected and looking like a top 5 pick. IF im the Celts I flip that for a star and hopefully at least hit one homerun ...you want one legit star to build around and one developing star to support him (at least). they have neither right now but they are so well coached if they get either and can keep some of Bradley/Crowder/Smart to pair with them they have something plus the best young coach.

I wish it wasnt so ... but i am jealous of the Celts . even though i would take Nance/Randle/Russ/Clarkson over their young core ...they at least have a clue.

DMC
02-22-2016, 11:35 AM
its obvious the bulls were a legit team. Nkt a mediocre flawed team like spurs or worriers.

Tautologies don't make good arguments.

Nit sure about old laker celtics team but thats a complete different era. I dont ever loom that far back. I believe black ppl were still in chains back to then...
Cute and edgy

DMC
02-22-2016, 11:39 AM
I agree and it's the only reason I am not shitting my pants. But really it's not like they drafted at #1 and passed on Wiggins or KAT. They still need a star they wont win #18 without one or two ... but they aren't paying Pierce or KG or even Rondo big money they tapped out early which was smart.

Deeps let's say they draft 3rd or 4th and Sixers already have Oak/noel embiid maybe they can flip something for Simmons or gamble on Embiid or take Oak or Noel if Sixers want to bring up that poor fit. They a boatload of picks plus Brooklyn's which is unprotected and looking like a top 5 pick. IF im the Celts I flip that for a star and hopefully at least hit one homerun ...you want one legit star to build around and one developing star to support him (at least). they have neither right now but they are so well coached if they get either and can keep some of Bradley/Crowder/Smart to pair with them they have something plus the best young coach.

I wish it wasnt so ... but i am jealous of the Celts . even though i would take Nance/Randle/Russ/Clarkson over their young core ...they at least have a clue.

You're always playing the margins. You said Boston played it perfectly then agreed with DPG that they drafted poorly. Make up your mind. What are you trying to actually say? I think most of you don't even watch the game, you just regurgitate talking points you picked up on ESPN.

JoeTait75
02-22-2016, 11:45 AM
When was the last time there was true parity in the NBA? Late '70s, before Bird and Magic entered the league, when the Bullets and Sonics were winning titles? What is it, nine teams that have won titles since 1980?

Killakobe81
02-22-2016, 11:53 AM
You're always playing the margins. You said Boston played it perfectly then agreed with DPG that they drafted poorly. Make up your mind. What are you trying to actually say? I think most of you don't even watch the game, you just regurgitate talking points you picked up on ESPN.

Are those two points mutually exclusive? And yes, I watch the games (not as much but still do) and dont need to regurgitate shit. Next time you are on LG looking for troll bait you can find posts where i have argued that the Celts have done a great job of moving on ...but they did not have Kobe loyalty problem or TWC deal to answer to. We screwed up and so have many other teams that held on for to long ... I am giving them credit for moving forward what does that have to do with ESPN did they post a story about the same thing? If so, good for them. I always watch the Celts because they are our real rivals not the Spurs... so I dont want to do well but yet they have. Examples

1. Boston did the right thing by selling their aging and fading stars ...
2. Deeps is right, they have hit no home-runs ... but the draft is not a perfect science. Without digging to deep in their recent drafts ...they did not get a top of the draft selection and miss on a stud ... they did the best with end of the lottery or mid first type guys IIRC.
3. they did hit a homerun on their coach and I would take him over Vogel , bud etc. Not many are doing more with less ...

I stand by what I am saying. Celts got it right. they traded their stars for picks after another title was unrealistic. They even got a pick for their overrated coachand got a better one from college. They dont have a bunch of big contracts on the books and they have multiple first rounders and cap space moving forward. Do they still need a star? yes. But their coach and front-office is in order which was the point. I am not going to slay them for not finding a Kiwi where they drafted because that took some tremendous foresight and a lot of luck ...

Sometimes it seems you just wake up DMC being an ass ... you could have asked me to expand or countered what I was saying ... instead of acting like a prick. People here bitch about no b-ball discussions but me and Deeps have one but instead of adding to that ...you choose to be your normal self. That is why I encourage the Laker warriors because good hoops talk is not encouraged by most here anyways.

End rant. :lol

DMC
02-22-2016, 11:58 AM
You guys are talking about parity and OP is talking about tanking (or the appearance thereof). We don't expect there to be parity where a different team can win or lose based on one shot every single night. However the middle class teams are few and far between these days. There's a talent gap where coaching and players are concerned. Golden State and the Spurs are both talented teams, but both have good coaching as well. GS relies more on talent than coaching but they have a system that should not be dismissed by saying they are just talented. The Spurs have generational players who anchor a mentality and enforce it in their lineups, and their coaching and training staff are second to none. You cannot really duplicate that though many seem to be trying, which is one reason the class gap exists in the first place; teams are trying to build legit rosters and coaching staffs, and that takes time. That means you go through the doldrums of rebuilding. It's expensive to ride the bubble for years when just a couple fewer wins could put you in lottery territory where bargaining chips abound. That could speed your rebuilding process by years if you land a ringer.

It will get better but not before it gets worse.

Killakobe81
02-22-2016, 12:00 PM
When was the last time there was true parity in the NBA? Late '70s, before Bird and Magic entered the league, when the Bullets and Sonics were winning titles? What is it, nine teams that have won titles since 1980?

Superstar league. Again why I dont advocate paying the non ones like one ..Look how Lebron has single handedly kept the cavs afloat ...yes Love, Kyrie make them more legit ..but without james they are nothing. Personally I wouldnt pay Kyrie and Love Max money but if the Cavs are lucky LeBron will lead those guys to the promise land. Problem with the league is so many teams are paying Kyrie and Love types Lebron money as their #1 ... when they really are #2's or 3's at best.

Again, I would rather be in Boston's spot than the Hawks who may lose Horford/milsap who they were paying big money because they are all-stars but still have dick to show for it. Boston is now ahead of teams like the wiz and aTL but for less money and with a bunch of picks on deck.

DMC
02-22-2016, 12:01 PM
Are those two points mutually exclusive? And yes, I watch the games (not as much but still do) and dont need to regurgitate shit. Next time you are on LG looking for troll bait you can find posts where i have argued that the Celts have done a great job of moving on ...but they did not have Kobe loyalty problem or TWC deal to answer to. We screwed up and so have many other teams that held on for to long ... I am giving them credit for moving forward what does that have to do with ESPN did they post a story about the same thing? If so, good for them. I always watch the Celts because they are our real rivals not the Spurs... so I dont want to do well but yet they have. Examples

1. Boston did the right thing by selling their aging and fading stars ...
2. Deeps is right, they have hit no home-runs ... but the draft is not a perfect science. Without digging to deep in their recent drafts ...they did not get a top of the draft selection and miss on a stud ,,, they did the best with end of the lottery or mid first type guys IIRC.
3. they did a homerun on their coach and I woudl take him over Vogel , bud etc. Not many are doing more with less ...

I stand by what I am saying. Celts got it right. they traded their stars for picks after another title was unrealistic. They even got a pick for their overrated coachand got a better one from college. They dont have a bunch of big contracts on the books and they have multiple first rounders and cap space moving forward. Do they still need a star? yes. But their coach and front-office is in order which was the point. I am not going to slay them for not finding a Kiwi where they drafted because that took some tremendous foresight and a lot of luck ...

Sometimes it seems you just wake up DMC being an ass ... you could have asked me to expand or countered what I was saying ... instead of acting like a prick. People here bitch about no b-ball discussions but me and Deeps have one but instead of adding to that ...you choose to be your normal self. That is why I encourage the Laker warriors because good hoops talk is not encouraged by most here anyways.

End rant. :lol

Your rivals are the 76ers and the Suns, you're all fighting for worst team in the league. The Celtics aren't your rivals. I guess Pat Riley is still your coach as well even though he's in Miami.
didn't read the rest.

Killakobe81
02-22-2016, 12:05 PM
Your rivals are the 76ers and the Suns, you're all fighting for worst team in the league. The Celtics aren't your rivals. I guess Pat Riley is still your coach as well even though he's in Miami.
didn't read the rest.

I'll treat your posts with the same respect going forward ... so please feel free not to waste your time and respond to mine.

SpursforSix
02-22-2016, 12:31 PM

The West has never been a 6 to 7 team race but in the past, the teams have been competitive enough that there have been some exciting playoff series. An 8 knocking off a 1. Maybe things will tighten up around playoffs but right now, the bottom just sucks.

DMC
02-22-2016, 12:32 PM
Feel free to fuck off back to LG and join the Kobe funeral procession.

ElNono
02-22-2016, 02:01 PM

:rolleyes

In the past 5 years, you have Houston, Memphis, OKC, Spurs, Warriors and Dallas all making the Western Conference Finals. If you go back 2 more seasons, you can add the Lakers, Nuggets and Suns.

And this is before Silver's proclamation that the new CBA was going to even the playing field.

ElNono
02-22-2016, 02:10 PM
tbh, I can't even remember true "great", franchise leader #1 picks since Lebron... maybe Durant, but he was a #2 pick... (:lol tlong)

Raven
02-22-2016, 02:12 PM
i agree, the young guns are way overrated..

tlongII
02-22-2016, 03:26 PM
It's all about Lillard and CJ now. They are going to run the league.

Mitch
02-22-2016, 05:15 PM
It's all about Lillard and CJ now. They are going to run the league.

What happens every time you show up and start cheering for the Blazers, Tschlong?

spurraider21
02-22-2016, 05:22 PM
tbh, I can't even remember true "great", franchise leader #1 picks since Lebron... maybe Durant, but he was a #2 pick... (:lol tlong)
pretty sure thats what davis was billed as, tbh

DMC
02-22-2016, 06:39 PM
Jordan/Bird/Durant

Tlong with the hattrick on shitty decisions

DMC
02-22-2016, 06:40 PM
pretty sure thats what davis was billed as, tbh
So?

Okafor is the leader of the 6ers... not what El is saying, Philo.

spurraider21
02-22-2016, 06:44 PM
^Philo

DMC
02-22-2016, 06:51 PM
Billed as doesn't mean the same thing as "franchise leader" when the team can't crack the playoffs except for that charity event the Spurs put on last year.

ElNono
02-22-2016, 06:53 PM
Billed as doesn't mean the same thing as "franchise leader" when the team can't crack the playoffs except for that charity event the Spurs put on last year.

yeah, just underwhelming all around. I mean, you can scratch the "it's the coach's fault", I think he's on his second or third already?

It's possible tho that shitty management can also be the culprit, tbh... as apo mentioned in the 1st reply...

DMC
02-22-2016, 08:54 PM
The problem is they are given the keys to the kingdom prior to ever pulling the sword from the stone. Only one guy in the past..oh.. however many years has lived up to that level of hype.

02-22-2016, 10:03 PM
tbh a lot of these guys would look better if they were drafted in the shitty east.