PDA

View Full Version : NFL Combine Thread

Silver&Black
02-23-2016, 06:03 PM
http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/318298/26526070/1448999619117/NFL+Scouting+Combine+16+Logo.png?token=BQ%2FUzAq3y Qvziff6chYy74K1Y3Y%3D

http://i.imgur.com/XqurXQy.png

Silver&Black
02-23-2016, 06:05 PM
Really looking forward to seeing how CB Vernon Hargreaves III performs. Hoping the Bucs got a shot at him...

Also, heard #1 WR Laquon Treadwell will not run the 40.

benefactor
02-23-2016, 10:13 PM
Here we go...step one of Houston reaching for a QB that isn't very good.

Avante
02-24-2016, 02:59 AM
Not a fan of the combine. To begin with....Feb? And, we can see better athletes outshining better footballers. Way too much put into numbers not emotions. Just because somebody is fast, can jump, bench press doesn't make him a footballer.

A 6-2 220 pound RB with 4.38 jets, looks a hell of a lot better on paper than that 5-9 200pounder with 4.50 speed. The fact Mr. 4.50 is a great extinctive runner with great vision while Mr. 4.40 won't play hurt, not instinctive and has little elusiveness...............

Silver&Black
02-24-2016, 09:42 PM
Here we go...step one of Houston reaching for a QB that isn't very good.

Which QB you hoping to get, tbh?

(Assuming you want a QB in the 1st Round)

UNT Eagles 2016
02-24-2016, 09:43 PM
good hopefully we can get tready after trading down

elemento
02-26-2016, 10:53 AM
I want the Ravens to take Ramsey, but I think Ozzie goes safe mode here with either a pass rusher or an OT.

johnsmith
02-26-2016, 03:35 PM
Not a fan of the combine. To begin with....Feb? And, we can see better athletes outshining better footballers. Way too much put into numbers not emotions. Just because somebody is fast, can jump, bench press doesn't make him a footballer.

I've heard this opinion a lot this week on sports talk and from various friends and I'd like to know, who is it that you think is putting "way too much..." Into the combine?

Silver&Black
02-26-2016, 07:37 PM
The combine is a weird thing. Normally, the big news is some kid failing a drug test. Or, somebody asking, "Is your mother a prostitute?".

This year it's:

:lmao The size of Jared Goff's hands

Avante
02-26-2016, 07:52 PM
I've heard this opinion a lot this week on sports talk and from various friends and I'd like to know, who is it that you think is putting "way too much..." Into the combine?

Those who run the thing.

You can be faster, stronger, jump higher than a cat who is simply a better football player.

Look at Joe Montana, he wasn't big, strong, fast or anything other than a great QB. Cam Newton is bigger, stronger, faster................so what?

Jerry Rice would get left in the dust vs Jacoby Ford, James Jett, Clif Branch, Bob Hayes and a dozen other guys..,...so what?

johnsmith
02-27-2016, 08:16 AM
Those who run the thing.

You can be faster, stronger, jump higher than a cat who is simply a better football player.

Look at Joe Montana, he wasn't big, strong, fast or anything other than a great QB. Cam Newton is bigger, stronger, faster................so what?

Jerry Rice would get left in the dust vs Jacoby Ford, James Jett, Clif Branch, Bob Hayes and a dozen other guys..,...so what?

"Those who run the thing"? Meaning whom? Do you mean the NFL? The scouts? Individual teams? Who does that mean?

TXstbobcat
02-27-2016, 01:51 PM
Which QB you hoping to get, tbh?

(Assuming you want a QB in the 1st Round)

I get the feeling the Texans will draft Hackenberg in the 2nd round and end up rolling with Hoyer for another year.

elemento
02-27-2016, 01:54 PM
Those who run the thing.

I agree to an extent. They indeed put too much stock on numbers instead of natural football ability.

BUT

If freaks of nature can "get it" to be great football players, the rest of the normal guys are nothing compared to them.

For every Joe Montana and Jerry Rice, we can find a Randy Moss, a Deion Sanders, a Calvin Johnson or a Lawrence Taylor.

That's why I understand why they put so much stock in numbers. They are the safer bet, even when they don't pan out.

johnsmith
02-27-2016, 03:26 PM
My point is that I hear people complain that people put too much emphasis on the combine. If I had to bet, I'd be willing to put a years pay up that NFL scouts and franchises dont over emphasize the combine at all. Rather they use it as a supplement to gauge prospects. They factor game tape, interviews, combine numbers and a hundred other things into their decisions as to which players they want. To say "they put too much emphasis" implies that you somehow know what goes on in the mind of NFL executives and talent assessments.

It's silly and it screams "give me attention"....especially if you're a sociopathic "NFL historian" that is spending his entire retirement waiting to die while posting on forums all over the internet.

FkLA
02-27-2016, 04:26 PM

http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/obama.png

Avante
02-29-2016, 11:05 AM
I agree to an extent. They indeed put too much stock on numbers instead of natural football ability.

BUT

If freaks of nature can "get it" to be great football players, the rest of the normal guys are nothing compared to them.

For every Joe Montana and Jerry Rice, we can find a Randy Moss, a Deion Sanders, a Calvin Johnson or a Lawrence Taylor.

That's why I understand why they put so much stock in numbers. They are the safer bet, even when they don't pan out.

All the NFL really needs is to know about a guy is his need to succeed and his love for football. Everyone at the combine was a stud college guy. Holding a decathlon in Feb is pretty meaningless actually.

All we need to see is tape of the games and find out just how much football actually means to a guy.

Spurtacular
03-01-2016, 10:06 AM

http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/obama.png

Undersized for TE. Faster than most?

FkLA
03-01-2016, 01:52 PM
Undersized for TE. Faster than most?

He was the biggest TE there (weight wise). Slowest 40 time. Strongest by far which probably makes him the best blocker. Did well in the quickness drills and route running/catching.

Spurtacular
03-01-2016, 07:49 PM
He was the biggest TE there (weight wise). Slowest 40 time. Strongest by far which probably makes him the best blocker. Did well in the quickness drills and route running/catching.

TE's must be small these days.