PDA

View Full Version : OT: Basketball nerds Nate Duncan and Danny leroux says average 2016 pg would win 60s mvp

apalisoc_9
02-26-2016, 03:23 AM
Old school basketball :lmao

"Average PG in 2016 would run circles on bob cousy"

:lmao

midnightpulp
02-26-2016, 04:03 AM
I agree with that (he might not win the MVP, but he would be a candidate), and it fits with my personal idea that professional sportsman get about 10% better (not 10% more athletic, but 10% better in skill and strategy) on average every decade (although there are certain eras where there seems to be bigger leaps. I think the pre- to post-merger NBA was pretty significant). Ish Smith is a 20-10 guy in the 60's, which bests Cousy's averages.

But the better question is does Ish Smith even make it to the NBA if he were born in 1942?

Or what could Bill Russell do (an Olympic class athlete and the 4th best high jumper in the world at one point) do with modern training methods?

AlexJones
02-26-2016, 06:09 AM
Christ, Ryan Tannehill would probably destroy the Packers in the 60s.

dbreiden83080
02-26-2016, 06:22 AM
Yeah all the average athletic white guys of the 60's would kill it, in todays game..

ambchang
02-26-2016, 06:37 AM
An averagely athletic curry is winning MVPs and dominating the league right now.

benefactor
02-26-2016, 07:50 AM
An averagely athletic curry is winning MVPs and dominating the league right now.
He's not elite athletic, but he's athletic enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpOXWZVFuSg

He just happens to be one of the most skilled guards to ever pick up a basketball to go with it.

ambchang
02-26-2016, 08:44 AM

He just happens to be one of the most skilled guards to ever pick up a basketball to go with it.

Exactly, but skills can be attained.

benefactor
02-26-2016, 09:13 AM
Exactly, but skills can be attained.
:lol...really? So if I work hard enough I can just learn to be like Curry?

ambchang
02-26-2016, 09:51 AM
:lol...really? So if I work hard enough I can just learn to be like Curry?

Elite players can.

DMC
02-26-2016, 07:24 PM
I disagree. The coaches had better control of players then. There was no multi-million dollar cry baby point guard. He would have to fit into the scheme and shut up. These guys couldn't just transform to that era and adapt to their ways and they wouldn't want to see the new guy's moves.

Buddy Mignon
02-26-2016, 07:26 PM

Hello

Buddy Mignon
02-26-2016, 07:28 PM

You pussies get all excited just cause that faggot did a basic dunk, while my nigga Kobe leaving his nuts on niggas shoulders.

spursistan
02-26-2016, 08:39 PM
yeah..but let's not forget who these two are closet Warriors/Curry fanboys even if they strain at looking objective..One (Leroux) actually write for Warriors website..the other said he wishes them to break Bulls record...Obviously they re still better podcasters than that pathetic homer Ethan Strauss..

apalisoc_9
02-26-2016, 10:37 PM
Curry is super athletic. That dude can dunk with both his hands something that would have garnered a 50 score in a slam dunk contest in the 70s.

Lol old faggots :lmao

apalisoc_9
02-26-2016, 10:38 PM
yeah..but let's not forget who these two are closet Warriors/Curry fanboys even if they strain at looking objective..One (Leroux) actually write for Warriors website..the other said he wishes them to break Bulls record...Obviously they re still better podcasters than that pathetic homer Ethan Strauss..

Ethan Starus should never be allowed to write in a nationl scale.

benefactor
02-27-2016, 11:26 PM
Elite players can.
So any elite player can do what Curry just did?

gtfo faggot

ambchang
02-28-2016, 08:01 AM
So any elite player can do what Curry just did?

gtfo faggot

It's been done. Don't make it sound like its some kind of unique event in nba history.

It was incredible, but players before him have had dominating performances.

benefactor
02-28-2016, 08:29 AM
:lol...why is so hard for you to admit Curry is playing at a historic level? No player can just learn to do what he does. He takes and makes those shots regularly.

TDMVPDPOY
02-28-2016, 08:57 AM
:lol...why is so hard for you to admit Curry is playing at a historic level? No player can just learn to do what he does. He takes and makes those shots regularly.

only player i can think of that can do what curry is doing? is prime steve nash..too bad he was more interested in racking up asssists then scoring, dude was efficiently good shooting the ball and could get into the lane with ease but instead looks for the PNR for another assists...

The Reckoning
02-28-2016, 09:28 AM
provided that they have the same nutrition and training staff as today

Spurtacular
02-28-2016, 03:40 PM

How dare you interfere with the OP's racism.

ambchang
02-28-2016, 05:02 PM

No doubt, he did things that are not done in the past (regularly take and make "bad" shots, ie making bad shots good shots) because he is an elite athlete in human terms (but regular, not-overly athletic in NBA terms), and dedicating on one craft. Jordan did it with his turnaround, Magic did it with his passing, Shaq did it with his low post game, Hakeem did it with his low post game, Curry is just doing it with his three point shooting.

It's a skill he attained because he worked hard on it, and that he has the base athleticism and skills for it.

But to say that no other person in the history of man kind would have been able to do what he did regardless of circumstances is hard to believe.

HarlemHeat37
02-28-2016, 05:55 PM
Jose Calderon would be Jerry West in the 60s/70s, if we are being honest and unbiased..

Crazy to think that if Jose had been born a little earlier, he would be the logo of the NBA:wow

sook
02-28-2016, 06:10 PM

speaking of, been gone for a while, where is DMC at. I'd like to hear about why Curry still sucks :lol

benefactor
02-28-2016, 06:33 PM
No doubt, he did things that are not done in the past (regularly take and make "bad" shots, ie making bad shots good shots) because he is an elite athlete in human terms (but regular, not-overly athletic in NBA terms), and dedicating on one craft. Jordan did it with his turnaround, Magic did it with his passing, Shaq did it with his low post game, Hakeem did it with his low post game, Curry is just doing it with his three point shooting.

It's a skill he attained because he worked hard on it, and that he has the base athleticism and skills for it.

But to say that no other person in the history of man kind would have been able to do what he did regardless of circumstances is hard to believe.
I never said "no other person in history" could do what Curry did...I was more referring to what you said...that only a handful of players have the talent mixed with the dedication to do what Curry, Jordan, Dream, etc. do/did. There are a lot of "elite" players in the league. However, there are only a handful that will truly be remembered throughout history because they were on another tier. Some of those other elite players work just as hard has Curry, but they aren't him and never will be him.

This discourse started when you said "skills can be attained." They can, but only to a point. Some guys who are very high level players can work on post moves for countless hours, but they will never be Dream. Some guards can work on their passing, but they will never have the ability to pass like Magic. Some players can shoot thousands of threes, but they will never be able to sink them from the spots Curry can at crucial times in a game. Kawhi Leonard is a great example. He's taken the talent he has and worked hard, transforming himself into one of the best players in the league. He'll carve out a nice career...and might even wind up in the Hall of Fame. He'll be mentioned in same breath as a lot of great players, but he'll never be Jordan, Dream or even peak level LeBron.

Will the next Magic/Dream/Jordan show up? It's always possible. People win the lottery all the time against unbelievable odds...but I'd say it's close to as likely as me hitting the jackpot if I picked up a ticket tomorrow.

apalisoc_9
02-28-2016, 06:35 PM
Jose Calderon would be Jerry West in the 60s/70s, if we are being honest and unbiased..

Crazy to think that if Jose had been born a little earlier, he would be the logo of the NBA:wow

What an Insult to Jose. Can jerry west even dribble with his off hand? I wish time travel was real so I can go back to the 60s and become an NBA player

ambchang
02-28-2016, 10:28 PM
I never said "no other person in history" could do what Curry did...I was more referring to what you said...that only a handful of players have the talent mixed with the dedication to do what Curry, Jordan, Dream, etc. do/did. There are a lot of "elite" players in the league. However, there are only a handful that will truly be remembered throughout history because they were on another tier. Some of those other elite players work just as hard has Curry, but they aren't him and never will be him.

This discourse started when you said "skills can be attained." They can, but only to a point. Some guys who are very high level players can work on post moves for countless hours, but they will never be Dream. Some guards can work on their passing, but they will never have the ability to pass like Magic. Some players can shoot thousands of threes, but they will never be able to sink them from the spots Curry can at crucial times in a game. Kawhi Leonard is a great example. He's taken the talent he has and worked hard, transforming himself into one of the best players in the league. He'll carve out a nice career...and might even wind up in the Hall of Fame. He'll be mentioned in same breath as a lot of great players, but he'll never be Jordan, Dream or even peak level LeBron.

Will the next Magic/Dream/Jordan show up? It's always possible. People win the lottery all the time against unbelievable odds...but I'd say it's close to as likely as me hitting the jackpot if I picked up a ticket tomorrow.

Sure, why not?

The point is that these combination of skills and hard work are not era specific and the skills can most definitely be obtained. If curry was born 50 years ago he will not be as great a shooter because he won't be given the same opportunities to train, so to say that players today are sommcih better than those in yesteryears because they are much more athletic is idiotic. We were not seeing this level of skills in the 60s not because those players couldn't do it, it's because they don't have the proper training, which speaks to skills can be attained.