PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Draymond screen against the heat the other night was apparently legal

tbdog
02-26-2016, 06:01 AM
https://twitter.com/IraHeatBeat/status/702978654087815168

benefactor
02-26-2016, 07:13 AM
:lol

Blue Duck
02-26-2016, 07:15 AM
I never saw the replay. Was it really that obvious?

benefactor
02-26-2016, 07:37 AM
I never saw the replay. Was it really that obvious?
Like a zone blocking scheme

buttsR4rebounding
02-26-2016, 07:37 AM
This is actually a significant issue. This is one area the Spurs have an advantage over the Warriors IMO. The Spurs set some of the best screens in the NBA. If the Warriors are allowed to blatantly flaunt the rule then it takes away one advantage. I could see Pop getting tossed in one of the games to be played in the regular season to draw attention for the playoffs.

benefactor
02-26-2016, 07:42 AM
I could see Pop getting tossed in one of the games to be played in the regular season to draw attention for the playoffs.
The Spurs play them twice in the last five games too. If he raises enough hell in one or both of those games it could affect the way they call it in the post season.

Honestly though, I don't think it will matter. The league seems pretty set on Curry/Golden State being the face of the league for at least this season.

UZER
02-26-2016, 08:42 AM
It's not the occasional I'm set but slid over a little during the pick type moving screens. Their picks are like receivers blocking down field on a run play and they do it all game long.

ambchang
02-26-2016, 08:45 AM
No screens were set, they were shoves.

Killakobe81
02-26-2016, 09:07 AM
This is actually a significant issue. This is one area the Spurs have an advantage over the Warriors IMO. The Spurs set some of the best screens in the NBA. If the Warriors are allowed to blatantly flaunt the rule then it takes away one advantage. I could see Pop getting tossed in one of the games to be played in the regular season to draw attention for the playoffs.

Spurs set illegal screens too.
all good teams do tbh.
Doc's Celts were notorious for it in 2008
Im sure Phil's Lakers that won back2back did it too but I dont remember those ...:lol

TrainOfThought5
02-26-2016, 09:14 AM
Like a zone blocking scheme

I literally laughed out loud picturing a lineman shuffling his feet.

10/10

02-26-2016, 09:15 AM
all good teams do tbh.
Im sure Phil's Lakers that won back2back did it too but I dont remember those ...:lol-FaPc-1wcCM

but the Warriors have taken it to another level. Other elite teams have taken advantage of it, but no other team has based their whole offense around it.

Chinook
02-26-2016, 09:57 AM
Again, the easiest way to handle these is to start fouling the hell out of Green. That will very possibly stop the play, preventing Curry from getting the shot off. All you have to do is tell the refs before the game that you're going to foul Green every time he moves while setting a screen. You can even mention it to the media before hand.

But don't be nice about the fouls. Barrel him over. If the refs swallow the whistle, then you at least take away the Green roll from Curry, allowing you the hedge without worrying about Draymond killing you.

lefty
02-26-2016, 10:12 AM
:lol today's NBA
:cry we must help those soft 3 pt shooting phaggots

tbdog
02-26-2016, 10:51 AM
https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/702689314824724480

For those who want to see it

lefty
02-26-2016, 11:08 AM
:lol Draymond Screen

JoeTait75
02-26-2016, 11:54 AM
:lol today's NBA
:cry we must help those soft 3 pt shooting phaggots

The '90s Jazz might have set more illegal screens than any team in NBA history.

Relevancy
02-26-2016, 12:15 PM
Meh the celtics did that shit back in 08 too but I bet nobody remembers them by that, they remember them by being one of the most tough defensive teams of all time

UZER
02-26-2016, 12:17 PM

Good point. But those were more traditional screens that they snuck in grabs and holds with the occasional slide of the hip out. Illegal b it harder to call.

On the screens the warriors set, they don't even set their feet. They just drive players out of the way like a football block.

LkrFan
02-26-2016, 12:31 PM
all good teams do tbh.
Im sure Phil's Lakers that won back2back did it too but I dont remember those ...:lol
This

Killakobe81
02-26-2016, 12:52 PM

yep.

lefty
02-26-2016, 12:54 PM
yeah but they were good at it

The Warriors's illegal screens look bad tbh

benefactor
02-26-2016, 01:08 PM

D-Wade
02-26-2016, 01:19 PM
Makes me miss Dexter Pittman. We can't afford Whiteside being our goon.

02-26-2016, 01:21 PM

Horse
02-26-2016, 01:38 PM

Holy shit he's moving the whole fucking time.

baseline bum
02-26-2016, 01:41 PM
-FaPc-1wcCM

but the Warriors have taken it to another level. Other elite teams have taken advantage of it, but no other team has based their whole offense around it.

Can't believe they didn't fall for Fisher's flop in OKC.

timtonymanu
02-26-2016, 01:52 PM

This. I almost lost my shit because I thought an offensive foul would have been called. :lol

daslicer
02-26-2016, 01:58 PM

It's amazing how a lot of people forget that on the previous possession of that game Ibacka got away with an obvious goaltend that the refs didn't call. I have felt them not calling a foul on that screen was a make up call for screwing up on not calling the goaltend.

tbdog
02-26-2016, 02:05 PM
Holy shit he's moving the whole fucking time.

The issue here is not the no call. That is bad. It cost a team a win. But for the NBA office to say that was legal, kinda proves one thing - they are protecting their new prize?

DJR210
02-26-2016, 02:07 PM
Dude looked like prime Larry Allen out there.. props

baseline bum
02-26-2016, 02:21 PM
It's amazing how a lot of people forget that on the previous possession of that game Ibacka got away with an obvious goaltend that the refs didn't call. I have felt them not calling a foul on that screen was a make up call for screwing up on not calling the goaltend.

I ain't never forgetting that fucking bullshit. Or the noncalls when Ibaka was hacking Duncan. Pretty sad when not calling a foul after a flop is a make up, but that's what you gotta deal with in OKC. :lol

daslicer
02-26-2016, 03:14 PM
I ain't never forgetting that fucking bullshit. Or the noncalls when Ibaka was hacking Duncan. Pretty sad when not calling a foul after a flop is a make up, but that's what you gotta deal with in OKC. :lol

I understand I just hate it when people show that clip 50 times in here as a counter to how the spurs get away with illegal screens without even realizing the context of that game which is the spurs got a lot of bs calls that went against them.

Mnky
02-26-2016, 06:38 PM

Same here.

~O~
02-26-2016, 07:09 PM
all good teams do tbh.

Its like nobody fucking reads what I say. All teams in the league set moving screens. Its just that Golden State shoots so well off their moving screens and so much off of them that they're getting noticed. If no teams in the league set moving screens, Golden State would STILL be the best team in the league.

ambchang
02-26-2016, 08:46 PM
Moving screens were once screens that just moved.

Gsw therefore didn't have any moving screens.

Silver&Black
02-26-2016, 08:51 PM

Two thumbs up...

:tu :tu

JoeTait75
02-26-2016, 10:25 PM
Good point. But those were more traditional screens that they snuck in grabs and holds with the occasional slide of the hip out. Illegal b it harder to call.

On the screens the warriors set, they don't even set their feet. They just drive players out of the way like a football block.

You're being too kind. Look at how Malone rides Stockton's man away here. Like Joe Thomas riding a defensive end past the pocket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_BYT9RB5Ss

It's been this way for years. It's like you can move your entire body as much as you want as long as you don't stick a particular body part out, like an elbow or a hip.

UZER
02-26-2016, 10:38 PM
You're being too kind. Look at how Malone rides Stockton's man away here. Like Joe Thomas riding a defensive end past the pocket.

It's been this way for years. It's like you can move your entire body as much as you want as long as you don't stick a particular body part out, like an elbow or a hip.

Again, this falls under the players decide category. Right or wrong, it's always been like that. Draymonds last screen was bad, but I get it.

But the warriors have taken to the it to the next level. The screen Malone set is set by Green all game long. They don't even try to hide it anymore because they clearly get away with it.

Splits
02-27-2016, 07:13 AM

Blue Duck
02-27-2016, 07:48 AM

Holy shit, dude. They call illegal screens all the time that are iffy. That shit was atrocious! It really did look like a zone blocking scheme. It certainly appears as though the conspiracy theorists have a point.

LkrFan
02-27-2016, 07:51 AM

After det 2006 Finals "win" the cHeat bet not say shitPERIOD.

tbdog
02-27-2016, 08:53 AM

This is getting really obvious now.

Chris
02-27-2016, 12:17 PM

Sean Elliott has gone on record as pretty much saying the same thing. He said Stockton was so dirty with those forearms to the back and Malone was filthy as well.

Spurtacular
02-27-2016, 02:05 PM
NBA clearly is unfamiliar with the saying, "Often the cover-up is worth than the act." Just admit the fucking obvious for fuck's sake. This isn't even debatable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEUvKOanhUg

Spurtacular
02-27-2016, 02:08 PM
After det 2006 Finals "win" the cHeat bet not say shitPERIOD.

You have absolutely no fucking right to complain about any NBA cheating til you've conceded that the Lakers 02 Championship is the biggest sham in league history.

Spurtacular
02-27-2016, 02:09 PM

I'm shocked that BBallbreakdown did this. They're sort of an unofficial PR wing for the league.

Spurtacular
02-27-2016, 02:13 PM

Horny didn't seem to have any doubt about that shot. Great to see them shutting the Houston crowd up, too.

BanditHiro
02-27-2016, 04:34 PM

make up call for Ibaka's missed goaltending

teams need to just elbowing and setting moving screens of their own against Curry. If the refs call it then they pretty much have to start acknowledging GSW screens if not than teams can just beat Curry for the remainder of the season

LkrFan
02-27-2016, 04:49 PM
You have absolutely no fucking right to complain about any NBA cheating til you've conceded that the Lakers 02 Championship is the biggest sham in league history.

The Queens controlled their 4th quarter destiny. The closer the clock ticked towards 0:00, the narrower their windpipes became. It happens son - just like in 2000 with the Jail Blazers :lol

D-Wade
02-27-2016, 04:53 PM
Surprised Bballbreakdown said something. He hates the Heat especially Wade.

Spurtacular
02-27-2016, 04:59 PM
The Queens controlled their 4th quarter destiny. The closer the clock ticked towards 0:00, the narrower their windpipes became. It happens son - just like in 2000 with the Jail Blazers :lol

Sorry, bro. But don't tell us about how everyone but the Lakers cheats. It doesn't wash.

Spurtacular
02-27-2016, 05:00 PM
Surprised Bballbreakdown said something. He hates the Heat especially Wade.

Prove it.

LkrFan
02-27-2016, 05:05 PM
Sorry, bro. But don't tell us about how everyone but the Lakers cheats. It doesn't wash.

When Robert Horry hockey-checked Phoenix Suns point guard Steve Nash into the scorer’s table in Game 4 of the Spurs-Suns 2007 playoff series, it became the microcosmic event for Suns fans and their hate for San Antonio. Boris Diaw and Amare Stoudemire were suspended for leaving the bench area, running to Nash’s side.

The NBA hit them each with a one-game suspension, the Suns lost the series after slipping in Game 5. Another scar was added to the Suns’ postseason past that was finally washed away — to a degree — in 2010.

The NBA’s by-the-book reaction came from Rule No. 12, Section VII, Subsection C. of the NBA’s rule book: “During an altercation, all players not participating in the game must remain in the immediate vicinity of their bench. Violators will be suspended, without pay, for a minimum of one game and fined up to $50,000. The suspension will commence prior to the start of their next game.”

So on Thursday, when Indiana Pacers forward Paul George left the bench with teammate Rasual Butler as an altercation broke out between Atlanta Hawks forward Mike Scott and Pacers teammate George Hill, everyone quickly pointed to 2007. George was facing the same poorly written rule.

Then again, he wasn’t facing the same decision-makers who would interpret that rule.

Former NBA executive VP Stu Jackson, who oversaw the Suns’ suspensions way back when, went to Twitter to explain his interpretation of the rule. He used the word “vicinity” in the rulebook to give George a pass — indeed he only stepped a foot off the bench — while assuming Butler would earn a suspension.

Ultimately, neither player was punished for Saturday’s Game 7.

Of course, it seems ironic — in a disappointing way for the Suns — that Stoudemire and Diaw were punished by a letter-of-the-law bit in the rulebook that’s ironically not written very letter-of-the-law-like. Although they did leave the bench’s vicinity, if we’re using that word loosely, it’s also a matter of the context. Was there an altercation in 2007 like there was between Scott and Hill this past Thursday?

ESPN Insider’s Amin Elhassan*was a basketball operations intern in 2007, and he surely remembers how painful the suspension was. The Suns viewed it as a hypocritical decision considering the team submitted a claim that Tim Duncan and Bruce Bowen had also left the bench in an earlier altercation, which was deemed not to be so. Francisco Elson had fouled Suns swingman James Jones so hard that the Spurs players jumped up, as if they thought there would be a reaction — Jones simply got up without incident.

So then we can get into whether Steve Nash (and Raja Bell) were actually in an altercation with Horry.

The Indiana-Atlanta was different in many ways, but the reason it quickly became tied to the Suns’ seemingly mild bench-clearing incident of 2007 was pretty obvious. People feared the NBA would react in the same way by suspending the Pacers’ best player, and they knew it would be the wrong move.

Spurtacular
02-27-2016, 05:09 PM
What does an unsubstantiated claim have to do with you crying like a bitch about other teams' cheating while you pretend your team isn't the pinnacle of cheating? That's a rhetorical question, bitch. STFU.

LkrFan
02-27-2016, 05:09 PM
2007 NBA Champs *

LkrFan
02-27-2016, 05:11 PM
What does an unsubstantiated claim have to do with you crying like a bitch about other teams' cheating while you pretend your team isn't the pinnacle of cheating? That's a rhetorical question, bitch. STFU.

Maaaaaaaaad?

http://www.ifyouonlynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/nelson-haha1.jpg

Spurtacular
02-27-2016, 05:25 PM
Maaaaaaaaad?

http://www.ifyouonlynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/nelson-haha1.jpg

Don't matter. Telling a bitch to STFU is what I do.

LkrFan
02-27-2016, 05:26 PM
Don't matter. Telling a bitch to STFU is what I do.

ambchang
02-27-2016, 08:21 PM
This is actually a wussification of the league. This couldn't happen with the dirty elbows and clothes lining and fights because the players check themselves, If you do something like that, you'd be hurt. Now, the players won't do it because the are either are too buddy buddy or they worry about getting suspended for 25 games.

Splits
02-27-2016, 10:49 PM

They called it!

Now, how about Draymoving Screen?