PDA

View Full Version : Year's Probation for Pacers for Brawl at Pistons Game

boutons
09-25-2005, 02:17 PM
September 24, 2005

Year's Probation for Pacers for Brawl at Pistons Game

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

ROCHESTER HILLS, Mich., Sept. 23 (AP) - Indiana Pacers players Ron Artest, Jermaine O'Neal and Stephen Jackson were sentenced to a year's probation Friday, plus 60 hours of community service and $250 fines for their roles in one of the worst brawls in United States sports history.

The three - all of whom entered pleas of no contest - were also ordered to undergo anger management counseling.

"We're very satisfied with the resolution today," said John Pietrofesa, the Oakland County assistant prosecutor. "They decided to take responsibility and to move forward, and that's probably the best thing for everyone involved."

The brawl took place Nov. 19, during a game against the Detroit Pistons at The Palace of Auburn Hills.

Before sentencing, Judge Julie Nicholson reminded the players that they are seen as role models and owe it to the fans to behave appropriately.

O'Neal said he was looking forward to putting the brawl behind him and that the community service would not be difficult because he already enjoys volunteering.

Jackson did not respond to questions from reporters as he left the court; Artest said only, "I just want to go home."

A no-contest plea in Michigan is not an admission of guilt but is treated as such for sentencing purposes.

A fourth player charged in the brawl, David Harrison, faces an Oct. 3 hearing. A fifth, Anthony Johnson, pleaded no contest last week to a count of misdemeanor assault and battery and is scheduled to be sentenced Oct. 7. Pietrofesa added that the sanctions placed on the players by the N.B.A. were taken into account when negotiating the sentences. Artest was suspended for the rest of the season, Jackson for 30 games, O'Neal for 25 and Johnson for 5. The league did not suspend Harrison.

Charlie Haddad, one of the fans who the authorities said was punched by two Indiana players after he went on the court, attended Friday's hearing. He submitted a written statement to the court questioning why he had received a harsher sentence than the players.

Haddad was sentenced in March to two years' probation and 100 hours of community service, plus 10 weekends in a county work program for violating an ordinance against entering a performance space.

Marklar MM
09-25-2005, 02:24 PM
Charlie Haddad, one of the fans who the authorities said was punched by two Indiana players after he went on the court, attended Friday's hearing. He submitted a written statement to the court questioning why he had received a harsher sentence than the players.

LOL. They had much harsher sentences.

ALVAREZ6
09-25-2005, 04:27 PM
The three - all of whom entered pleas of no contest - were also ordered to undergo anger management counseling.

:lmao:lol:lmao:lol:lmao

boutons
09-26-2005, 05:24 PM
Anger Management

I feel pretty,
Oh, so pretty,
I feel pretty and witty and gay!
It's a pity
Any girl who isn't me tonight.

I feel charming,
Oh, so charming
It's alarming how charming I feel!