PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here want Houston to get the 7 seed?

SASdynasty!
02-26-2016, 09:27 AM
I don't in the sense that they give the Spurs problems sometimes, but I really want Tim to be able to go out beating every Western Conference team in the playoffs, and Houston is the only one he has left.

Chinook
02-26-2016, 09:33 AM
Want Portland. I don't think anything will get LMA in the mood like knocking his own team out of the playoffs. Houston has the talent to hassle GS. So I think they'd be a tougher match-up. I also want the Mavs to play the Thunder, as I think Carlisle will be best at coming up with a strategy to beat Durant and Westbrook.

I do admit, though, your case is compelling.

FromWayDowntown
02-26-2016, 09:35 AM
The opportunity to beat everyone at least once is an enticing reason to root for this matchup. There also could be several advantages to getting the Rockets in Round 1, including the easy travel during that round (particularly if you end up in a situation where you have to close out Round 1 in, say, Game 6 on a Thursday or Friday and then have to get home to start Round 2 on a Saturday or Sunday; still think that brutal turn-around in 2006 from Round 1 to Round 2 -- having to play in Sacramento on a Friday night and then in San Antonio on a Sunday afternoon -- wasn't helpful). If the series materializes and the Spurs can win, facing the Rockets will force the Spurs to deal with a team that really wants to shoot high volumes of 3s (though without getting to those shots as efficiently as GST does) and a high-volume, iso-ball scorer who can get plenty of whistles (though only one such player instead of the 2 that OKC present). So, that matchup could be a useful laboratory to make adjustments and prepare for the monsters that are likely to await.

Then again, choosing opponents does have a way of backfiring at times and the Rockets have given recent Spurs teams all sorts of problems.

TDomination
02-26-2016, 10:01 AM
I never realized that Tim Duncan had beaten every Western Conference Team at least once in the playoffs, except for Houston of course.

Just off the top of my head, years we beat every team (Duncan Era):
Warriors - 2013
Thunder (Sonics) - 2002, 2005, 2014
Clippers - 2012
Grizzlies - 2004, 2013
Mavs - 2001, 2003, 2014
Blazers - 1999, 2014
Jazz - 2007, 2013
Kings - 2006
Pelicans (N.O. Hornets) - 2008
Nuggets - 2005, 2007
Wolves - 1999
Suns - 1998, 2003, 2005, 2007
Lakers - 1999, 2003, 2013

elemento
02-26-2016, 10:04 AM
Yes I want Houston to complete Duncan's career beating every single Western franchise in the playoffs.

benefactor
02-26-2016, 10:07 AM
Yes. The Rockets are a mess now. It would be a five game series.

FromWayDowntown
02-26-2016, 10:19 AM
I never realized that Tim Duncan had beaten every Western Conference Team at least once in the playoffs, except for Houston of course.

Just off the top of my head, years we beat every team (Duncan Era):
Warriors - 2013
Thunder (Sonics) - 2002, 2005, 2014
Clippers - 2012
Grizzlies - 2004, 2013
Mavs - 2001, 2003, 2010, 2014
Blazers - 1999, 2014
Jazz - 2007, 2012
Kings - 2006
Pelicans (N.O. Hornets) - 2008
Nuggets - 2005, 2007
Wolves - 1999, 2001
Suns - 1998, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2008
Lakers - 1999, 2003, 2013

Just added a couple to complete the list and changed the year of one of the Jazz wins.

A couple of other notes that are in line with this list:

1. Duncan has at least one series win against every team the Spurs have ever met in the playoffs; that is, if Duncan's team has played you in the playoffs, you've lost at least once. The number goes deeper than that, because Tim's teams are better than .500 in series outcomes against every NBA playoff opponent other than the Lakers -- and they're 3-4 against LA.

2. Because of the fact that they beat 5 different East opponents in the Finals, Duncan's Spurs have playoff series wins over 18 of the other 29 NBA clubs.

Mel_13
02-26-2016, 10:20 AM
The opportunity to beat everyone at least once is an enticing reason to root for this matchup. There also could be several advantages to getting the Rockets in Round 1, including the easy travel during that round (particularly if you end up in a situation where you have to close out Round 1 in, say, Game 6 on a Thursday or Friday and then have to get home to start Round 2 on a Saturday or Sunday; still think that brutal turn-around in 2006 from Round 1 to Round 2 -- having to play in Sacramento on a Friday night and then in San Antonio on a Sunday afternoon -- wasn't helpful). If the series materializes and the Spurs can win, facing the Rockets will force the Spurs to deal with a team that really wants to shoot high volumes of 3s (though without getting to those shots as efficiently as GST does) and a high-volume, iso-ball scorer who can get plenty of whistles (though only one such player instead of the 2 that OKC present). So, that matchup could be a useful laboratory to make adjustments and prepare for the monsters that are likely to await.

Then again, choosing opponents does have a way of backfiring at times and the Rockets have given recent Spurs teams all sorts of problems.

I'd want Dallas or Houston in the first round for precisely that reason.

TDomination
02-26-2016, 10:28 AM
Just added a couple to complete the list and changed the year of one of the Jazz wins.

A couple of other notes that are in line with this list:

1. Duncan has at least one series win against every team the Spurs have ever met in the playoffs; that is, if Duncan's team has played you in the playoffs, you've lost at least once. The number goes deeper than that, because Tim's teams are better than .500 in series outcomes against every NBA playoff opponent other than the Lakers -- and they're 3-4 against LA.

2. Because of the fact that they beat 5 different East opponents in the Finals, Duncan's Spurs have playoff series wins over 18 of the other 29 NBA clubs.

Thanks. I knew there was a few i couldn't remember. Honestly i'm surprised i remembered all the ones that i did.

101A
02-26-2016, 10:31 AM
and they're 3-4 against LA.

If the Lakers just wouldn't suck SO BAD in down years that they don't make the playoffs, this might not be so.

Otherwise - Stunning facts.

TheDoctor
02-26-2016, 11:01 AM

I wanted Portland but this is a good rational analysis and I'm leaning now towards HOU. The easy travel during the Series sold me on it.

FromWayDowntown
02-26-2016, 11:17 AM
Tim's teams are better than .500 in series outcomes against every NBA playoff opponent other than the Lakers -- and they're 3-4 against LA.

2-0: Denver, Minnesota, Portland
1-0: New Jersey/Brooklyn, Cleveland, Detroit, Golden State, New Orleans, New York, Sacramento
5-1: Phoenix (5-2 if you count 2000)
3-1: Seattle/Oklahoma City
2-1: Memphis, Utah
1-1: LA Clippers, Miami
4-2: Dallas
3-4: LA Lakers

DNP: Houston, Atlanta, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Indiana, Milwaukee, Orlando, Philadelphia, Toronto, Washington

$pursDynasty
02-26-2016, 11:19 AM
Heck I kind of want the Blazers to be the 5th seed, they might get past a mentally weak Clippers team, or a defensively challenged Thunder team, and if they do then maybe the Blazers would give the Dubs more of a series than the Clips would. Dame might be good for two wins in a seven game series. Even though the Clips play the Dubs close, they always seem to lose. As for the Spurs for road reasons sure one of the Texas teams but for easy road I say the Grizz, I don't even know if they get any seed, they might free fall into the lottery.

Kawhitstorm
02-26-2016, 11:28 AM
Would be funny if Tim ran Dwert out of town........again.:lol

02-26-2016, 11:30 AM
Want Portland. I don't think anything will get LMA in the mood like knocking his own team out of the playoffs. Houston has the talent to hassle GS. So I think they'd be a tougher match-up. I also want the Mavs to play the Thunder, as I think Carlisle will be best at coming up with a strategy to beat Durant and Westbrook.

I do admit, though, your case is compelling.id like to see Portland play GS in the second round, plus Dame would probably have a chip on his shoulder and go supernova on us. Not that I think that we would lose, I'd just like other teams more.

Kawhitstorm
02-26-2016, 11:39 AM
Heck I kind of want the Blazers to be the 5th seed, they might get past a mentally weak Clippers team, or a defensively challenged Thunder team, and if they do then maybe the Blazers would give the Dubs more of a series than the Clips would. Dame might be good for two wins in a seven game series. Even though the Clips play the Dubs close, they always seem to lose. As for the Spurs for road reasons sure one of the Texas teams but for easy road I say the Grizz, I don't even know if they get any seed, they might free fall into the lottery.

:lmao; Have you seen Lillard playing defense against Porker let along Cp3/Curry?

The Blazers are the equivalent of the Dragic/Bledsoe Suns that had an explosive backcourt who would murder teams that took them lightly otherwise they have no consistent 3rd scorer or a legit paint presence on either ends. CP3/ReDick can neutralize Lillard/CJ but the Blazers have no answer for DeAndre/Blake.

CP3 torched Lillard in Portland last month & embarrassed Lillard last year:

zHzCGyqBLvk

hIIGKadWbAI

Kawhitstorm
02-26-2016, 11:41 AM
id like to see Portland play GS in the second round, plus Dame would probably have a chip on his shoulder and go supernova on us. Not that I think that we would lose, I'd just like other teams more.

Kawhi locked up Lillard in the 2014 series after he went supernova in the regular season matchups. He's also the only elite PG that Porker can STILL torch on the other end.:lol

Horse
02-26-2016, 01:29 PM
Hell yeah by then Houston will be ready to go home.

$pursDynasty
02-26-2016, 01:30 PM
:lmao; Have you seen Lillard playing defense against Porker let along Cp3/Curry?

The Blazers are the equivalent of the Dragic/Bledsoe Suns that had an explosive backcourt who would murder teams that took them lightly otherwise they have no consistent 3rd scorer or a legit paint presence on either ends. CP3/ReDick can neutralize Lillard/CJ but the Blazers have no answer for DeAndre/Blake.

CP3 torched Lillard in Portland last month & embarrassed Lillard last year:

zHzCGyqBLvk

hIIGKadWbAI
You might be right, I haven't watched any Clip Blazers games, don't watch the Blazers much period unless we play them, I did however see Lillard go nova on the Dubs, so I am for any team that will give the Dubs some trouble in the 2nd round, since the Spurs will probably have a tough team in the 2nd as well.

timtonymanu
02-26-2016, 01:32 PM
Yes. The Rockets are a mess now. It would be a five game series.

This. Some people really overrate the trouble the Rockets give the Spurs.

keeferob25
02-26-2016, 02:08 PM
This. Some people really overrate the trouble the Rockets give the Spurs.

While i agree that its SLIGHTLY overrated, I think its more to do with how Houston (like essentially every single team we face) ALWAYS gets a hard on and gets up for playing us. Its precisely why they can suck for like 5 games straight, but then suddenly look like world beaters against us, and then promptly go back to sucking again. Its really ridiculous how marked the Spurs are universally in this regard. This coupled with the fact that Houston presents issues that aren't unguardable per se but do take us out of our comfort zone and it usually results in a "tough" match-up. Let's be real...Harden was the guy that hurt the spurs in 2012 because his style of play is difficult to guard..even for us usually. And with Houston...the "others" (Terry, Brewer, Ariza, Beverly) ALWAYS seem to go off so they are more annoying than being "good".

SD126
02-26-2016, 02:13 PM
Bring out the brooms if this happens. The Rockets, from top to bottom, are ASS.

timtonymanu
02-26-2016, 02:14 PM
While i agree that its SLIGHTLY overrated, I think its more to do with how Houston (like essentially every single team we face) ALWAYS gets a hard on and gets up for playing us. Its precisely why they can suck for like 5 games straight, but then suddenly look like world beaters against us, and then promptly go back to sucking again. Its really ridiculous how marked the Spurs are universally in this regard. This coupled with the fact that Houston presents issues that aren't unguardable per se but do take us out of our comfort zone and it usually results in a "tough" match-up. Let's be real...Harden was the guy that hurt the spurs in 2012 because his style of play is difficult to guard..even for us usually. And with Houston...the "others" (Terry, Brewer, Ariza, Beverly) ALWAYS seem to go off so they are more annoying than being "good".

Yeah they do always play like world beaters against the Spurs and in the past, I didn't like the matchup with Houston (2014, especially). But this year we blew them out twice at home and could have taken the Christmas game in Houston if the Spurs had simply shown up for that game. They look even worse this year and Harden is approaching Kobe levels of being a cancerous teammate. Spurs would win in 5 games max.

james evans
02-26-2016, 02:21 PM
Yes. because if Portland gets the 8th seed, they will still lose to GS, but curry isn't gonna get a vacation. He's gonna have to try and guard someone.

timtonymanu
02-26-2016, 02:22 PM

I do admit, though, your case is compelling.

I want Portland too, only because it's my best chance to see the Spurs live. :lol

UNT Eagles 2016
02-26-2016, 05:05 PM
Wouldn't mind beating Rat Face and Dwert one last time before they are out of the league...

spursistan
02-26-2016, 05:38 PM
First round opponent by order of preference..

1- Dallas.. No interior D...Washed-up PGs..no-Spurs killer Monta ellis.. Damaged goods wings...Short travel. Only have RC as a sort of asset ..

2- Houston..Horrendous discipline on D..team with locker-room tension teetering near implosion ...Rocket-killer LMA....Short travel...

3- Memphis: no Marc Gasol..putrid shooting...team chokeful of cancers and hotheads..

4- Portland: classic cute little team which will get exposed in Playoffs..Moda Center and Lillard going bannana is their only chance at........1 game..

5- Jazz: Kawhi owns Hayward..Green owns Hood...they will get better when Alec Burk returns and Gobert regains his shape..Always tough arena to play in.

SpurPadre
02-26-2016, 06:23 PM
If only to see TD laugh at Howard one more time, tbh.

DeRozan m8
02-26-2016, 06:25 PM
I don't want them to make the playoffs...just for the lols

TrainOfThought5
02-26-2016, 06:29 PM
Unlike you guys i think a tough tune up would be great for this squad going into the second round. Give me the Jazz at full strength. A lot of talent is gonna make the spurs work hard, ala 2014 Mavs who woke us up in the first round en route to a ring.

TD 21
02-26-2016, 07:14 PM
The only reason to want to play the Rockets, is so that they can be checked off the list of being the only West team Duncan has never played/beaten in a series. Otherwise, in cases like this, where probably only multiple debilitating injuries would prevent the Spurs from relatively easily dispatching of any of the options, I'd always prefer to avoid the team with the highest upside and as big of a disgrace as they are, the Rockets are still that team. They've got the best player of the bunch and probably the most experience too.

Mr. Body
02-26-2016, 07:31 PM
We've havent beat them in the playoffs in the Duncan era, right? Only WC team we haven't faced and bested?

apalisoc_9
02-26-2016, 07:32 PM
The only reason to want to play the Rockets, is so that they can be checked off the list of being the only West team Duncan has never played/beaten in a series. Otherwise, in cases like this, where probably only multiple debilitating injuries would prevent the Spurs from relatively easily dispatching of any of the options, I'd always prefer to avoid the team with the highest upside and as big of a disgrace as they are, the Rockets are still that team. They've got the best player of the bunch and probably the most experience too.

They play the warriors really well. I'm praying they finish 8th

Spurs9
02-26-2016, 07:36 PM
Yes only for the reason that I want more Timmy Howard gifs.
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2540973/howarddealwithit.gif

HarlemHeat37
02-26-2016, 09:42 PM
The 5-8 seeds in the West are worse than they have been in a long, long time, tbh..it doesn't really matter:lol..

Houston and Dallas are 2 of the worst 4 teams in the NBA at defending PFs, this season..probably good to get Aldridge an easy series before the pressure turns up..

Spurtacular
02-26-2016, 10:49 PM
Houston would be a 5 game series; Portland would be a 4 game series. Either is fine by me, tbh. Benefits to both.

Texas_Ranger
02-27-2016, 12:23 AM
i want them cause they suck

All Mighty Janitor
02-27-2016, 01:36 AM
I don't know what some of you guys are talking about. There are 2 teams Western conference Duncan hasn't beat in the playoffs; Houston and the Spurs. Are you saying you want Duncan to get traded?

BillMc
02-27-2016, 03:26 AM
Kind of want Dallas for the Dirk-Tim nostalgia trip. Or the Jazz, if only to use Gobert as practice for Ibaka in Round 2.

maverick1948
02-27-2016, 04:02 PM
GS Houston Lots of travel and crazy play
SA Memphis Short travel and Spurs advantage
OKC Portland Same type teams and again travel time
LAC Dallas Travel time and crazy ZAZA defense could hurt someone

GS LAC or Dallas Not sure which would be a bigger problem but again ZAZA could injure Draymond the moving screen Green
SA OKC or Portland I won't say either would be a good matchup but neither would be able to play 2nd unit on 2nd unit.

GS SA finals Records wont matter in this match up. Good old fashion basketball will. SA should be in control with their D. Stopping Curry is not the primary objective. Harassing him is. Stopping the others on the team is the objective.

NO I dont want Houston at all.

timtonymanu
02-27-2016, 08:47 PM
Spurs would sweep

spursistan
03-11-2016, 10:01 PM
Probably no in the Micheal Beasely era :lol..they are starting to turn it around bit..just ended two long home streak of 2nd and 3rd seed in the East (Toronto/Boston)..they clearly have the highest upside of lower seed teams..the team you wish to fall into 7th seed is Memphis, but they need to go on a long losing streak..next best thing is Dallas..

houston spurs fan
03-11-2016, 10:22 PM
Yeah, a sweep and quick flight home