PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Curry: Criticism 'starting to get a little annoying'

phxspurfan
02-27-2016, 06:06 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14857175/golden-state-warriors-stephen-curry-finds-bashing-retired-stars-annoying

Hall of Famer Oscar Robertson told ESPN's Mike & Mike on Thursday that Curry's success is largely due to today's style of play, which isn't as physical as back in the day. Another Hall of Famer, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, concurs.

"... When I played years ago, if you shot a shot outside and hit it, the next time I'm going to be up on top of you. I'm going to pressure you with three-quarters, half-court defense. But now they don't do that."

"Steph Curry, unbelievable shooter, but [Kevin Johnson] was a point guard's nightmare because he was so strong and he loved going to the basket," Ceballos told Fox Sports Radio, explaining why he believed his Suns team...could beat these Warriors in a playoff series.

agreed. Steph is a great shooter and deserves praise for what he's doing with the Dubs, but teams aren't really that cerebral these days. They just run up and down and jack threes and throw alley oops. Imagine how the Dubs would do if they had to play the '90 Detroit Pistons. lol

resistanze
02-27-2016, 06:07 PM
Stupid nostalgia goggles.

phxspurfan
02-27-2016, 06:08 PM
Stupid nostalgia goggles.

You don't think any team not from this showboating era wouldn't put Curry on his ass?

BatManu20
02-27-2016, 06:10 PM
Kind of agree tbh. Yea, he would've struggled more in the 80's and 90's but he still would've been great. You just can't compare eras imo.

TrainOfThought5
02-27-2016, 06:13 PM
You don't think any team not from this showboating era wouldn't put Curry on his ass?

Theyre gonna put Curry on his ass 5 feet behind the 3 point line? LOL okay.

Jordan, Kawhi, Pippen. The three players that could "lockdown" Curry.

Godbama
02-27-2016, 06:14 PM
Yeah, putting aside that it's our rivals in Curry and the Warriors, old players bitching and moaning about this sort of thing is annoying, lame, and inevitable. In thirty years we'll have people talking about THESE good old days.
the sad mediocrity of nostalgia bias, it's a lot like the losers who talk about "hip hop back in the day!!!!!"

spurs10
02-27-2016, 06:23 PM
Well the GSW are very annoying- so payback is a bitch! If they had a modicum of the style the Spurs have I'd like them a lot more. I'd simply like to ask them if in the multiple times the Spurs have beat them have they ever seen them beat their chests? They are like a team of Westbook's- very hard to root for.

phxspurfan
02-27-2016, 06:24 PM

Curry turned Kawhi into an And-1 mixtape defender when we played. But Pippen, Jordan, and swarms of 80s/90s centers would put him on his ass the minute he steps inside the paint. And the NBA players in the article are right, as soon as he started shooting well from 30 feet, he would get a 3/4 court press. Granted press defense isn't perfect, and CP3 has proven he can beat that defense, Curry is a shooter and has to shoot to kick start the Warriors offense. Just sit a man on Thompson and deny the pass, Play 2 on Curry 3/4 court and watch the turnovers roll in. The time when Curry beats the press, give him some love in the paint with a PF or C.

Pistons' Jordan Rules
a3osYhb4ro0

Horry
1pBeCQak588

Ron Artest
scqitXx-bkE

Even Andrew Bynum in 2011 protected the paint.
-sMik-77MhE

Nobody sends messages like that anymore. Big men these days are guys who wouldn't crush a grape in a fruitfight like shitty D12.

SpursFan86
02-27-2016, 06:34 PM
Not that I blame former athletes for being confident in themselves...but it's pretty hilarious (and borderline sad) hearing some of the shit these guys say.

Offenses are so much more sophisticated nowadays. Curry's handles are far better than anyone's back in the 60s. It's not as easy as "Oh just stay right up on top of him and don't give him space" - if it were, Curry wouldn't be having one of the most impressive seasons of all-time.

SpursFan86
02-27-2016, 06:38 PM
Curry turned Kawhi into an And-1 mixtape defender when we played. But Pippen, Jordan, and swarms of 80s/90s centers would put him on his ass the minute he steps inside the paint. And the NBA players in the article are right, as soon as he started shooting well from 30 feet, he would get a 3/4 court press. Granted press defense isn't perfect, and CP3 has proven he can beat that defense, Curry is a shooter and has to shoot to kick start the Warriors offense. Just sit a man on Thompson and deny the pass, Play 2 on Curry 3/4 court and watch the turnovers roll in. The time when Curry beats the press, give him some love in the paint with a PF or C.

Pistons' Jordan Rules
a3osYhb4ro0

Horry
1pBeCQak588

Ron Artest
scqitXx-bkE

Even Andrew Bynum in 2011 protected the paint.
-sMik-77MhE

Nobody sends messages like that anymore. Big men these days are guys who wouldn't crush a grape in a fruitfight like shitty D12.

It's basketball, not football. You act like the league is worse off because people aren't going around throwing dirty elbows and body checks :lol

cd98
02-27-2016, 06:43 PM
I generally nothing but praise for him and his team. Retired greats always think they're better than the young guys.

BatManu20
02-27-2016, 06:51 PM
Not sure his defense would've been any better though :lol

Robz4000
02-27-2016, 06:58 PM
:cry :cry :cry

phxspurfan
02-27-2016, 07:00 PM
It's basketball, not football. You act like the league is worse off because people aren't going around throwing dirty elbows and body checks :lol

Defense and sending messages about protecting your court is a part of basketball. It's not about getting out of the way when someone looks like they want to go up for a dunk, or letting someone shoot just because they're beyond the 3 point line. And it sure as hell isn't about a 6 foot nothing kid talk shit about beating you on your home court because he thinks hes better than you. Which is exactly what the Dubs are right now (and I live in the Bay Area, I see how they act).

DMC
02-27-2016, 07:05 PM
Too many negatives in that question to figure out what you're asking.

I don't think they would because he has no reason to go into the paint and older eras couldn't defend the perimeter worth a shit. College teams these days would challenge NBA teams of those days.

phxspurfan
02-27-2016, 07:09 PM
Too many negatives in that question to figure out what you're asking.

I don't think they would because he has no reason to go into the paint and older eras couldn't defend the perimeter worth a shit. College teams these days would challenge NBA teams of those days.

Any team from right now wouldn't have the guts do it. We all know this. I'm saying teams from any other era (not just the 80s or 90s) would do it. '04 Pistons would. '99-05 Lakers would. '07-11 Lakers would. Mavs would definitely do it. Spurs would do it discreetly (Bowen sliding a foot under him :lol)

SpursFan86
02-27-2016, 07:11 PM
Defense and sending messages about protecting your court is a part of basketball. It's not about getting out of the way when someone looks like they want to go up for a dunk, or letting someone shoot just because they're beyond the 3 point line. And it sure as hell isn't about a 6 foot nothing kid talk shit about beating you on your home court because he thinks hes better than you. Which is exactly what the Dubs are right now (and I live in the Bay Area, I see how they act).

So what, you're just supposed to take him out on every jumpshot he attempts? It's not like people aren't trying to guard him closely; they're just not being intentionally dirty and trying to take him out :lol You see that as a bad thing, but I don't.

Defenses today are better than they were in the 80s/90s, and sure as hell better than they were in the 60s.

DMC
02-27-2016, 07:17 PM
Any team from right now wouldn't have the guts do it. We all know this. I'm saying teams from any other era (not just the 80s or 90s) would do it. '04 Pistons would. '99-05 Lakers would. '07-11 Lakers would. Mavs would definitely do it. Spurs would do it discreetly (Bowen sliding a foot under him :lol)
Really? I don't recall Russell having his head caved in or Dr J being crippled or Larry being severely injured. Being put on your ass is one thing that happens to PGs who drive the paint. Curry shoots from 28'. They wouldn't know what to do with that, no idea.

Relevancy
02-27-2016, 07:18 PM
All the old farts need to shut the fuck up and let these new young guys shine

that goes to every single old fart fan of the game also, just because you got to watch 80's basketball that doesn't give you the right to downplay todays era, if you think its so soft why are you still watching it?

TDMVPDPOY
02-27-2016, 07:19 PM
why cant these has beens just stfu?

then again i pay anyone who is first to punch that mouthguard out of his mouth when he continues to play with it like his juggling a jizm in his mouth

Killakobe81
02-27-2016, 08:11 PM

Kordan couldnt lockdown Curry at least not while trying to drop 50 on the other end ...for the record Kobe wouldnt either.

DAF86
02-27-2016, 08:40 PM
When I'm old I hope not to be as bitter as these faggots, tbh.

Down Under
02-27-2016, 08:43 PM
It's pretty easy to apply full court pressure when the 'ball handler' can't dribble

Reck
02-27-2016, 09:04 PM
What does Curry expect? 100% cock slurping by everyone? Take the heat dude.

lefty
02-27-2016, 09:52 PM
:cry what a soft phaggot

:lol more proof he wouldn't have survived in the 80s and 90s

Reck
02-27-2016, 10:03 PM
:cry what a soft phaggot

:lol more proof he wouldn't have survived in the 80s and 90s

:cry Karma

I wonder what he thinks of his ankles tbh?

lefty
02-27-2016, 10:06 PM
:cry Karma

I wonder what he thinks of his ankles tbh?

:lol

MJ scored 64 pts on a bum ankle

Clipper Nation
02-27-2016, 10:21 PM
The NBA has the saltiest former players of any league, by far. They're the biggest bunch of crybabies who can't give any credit to the next generation of players. It's always been like this, too, even in everyone's beloved '90s. Not sure why.

ambchang
02-27-2016, 11:14 PM
KJ would be a be a nightmare in today's league. He's the original AI.

diego
02-28-2016, 12:11 AM
It's pretty easy to apply full court pressure when the 'ball handler' can't dribble

eh, its pretty easy to escape full court pressure when you can carry and minimal contact is 90/100 called on the defense.

rules have changed a ton, as have playing styles. there is less dirty play, less physicality, a host of other changes to benefit perimeter players, not to mention significantly better infrastructure- when people are ready to rank curry in the top 10 for basically 2 great seasons, understandably a lot of players from the old regime are going to question what the hell is going on. If Curry can sustain this kind of level for multiple seasons, he could conceivably be the MDE, it really is pretty crazy that a guy that was basically written off for being too small and fragile is dominating the league. still its way too early to tell, its one thing to do it for a couple years and another to do it for a decade.

Down Under
02-28-2016, 12:24 AM
^^ of course it's easier now, but players are so much more skilled and athletic now to say they could have stopped them is crap.

TDMVPDPOY
02-28-2016, 12:32 AM
fck him, once popabitch decides to not play porker against the dubs, is when the spurs actually have a chance of beating them...a pos is a pos

lefty
02-28-2016, 01:11 AM
http://i.imgur.com/4yZPQmp.png?1

resistanze
02-28-2016, 01:12 AM
http://i.imgur.com/4yZPQmp.png?1

LMAO

HarlemHeat37
02-28-2016, 01:13 AM
^^ :lmao

Chris
02-28-2016, 02:33 AM