PDA

View Full Version : We can dream, but if Pop/Tim/Kiwi/Manu and co. solve Curry/Warriors...

spursistan
02-27-2016, 11:45 PM
..would it be the greatest feat in franchise history?

Getting 5 is looking like shooting fish in barrel by comparaison :lol...

davidbowie
02-27-2016, 11:47 PM
we're going to lose to them and it's going to be fine

they are playing amazing and anyone thinking they will magically crumble in the playoffs is delusional

but to answer your question, YES

r0drig0lac
02-27-2016, 11:51 PM
barring injury, this season unfortunately, already has an owner

honestfool84
02-27-2016, 11:52 PM
I guess I'm one of the few Spurs fans who still has some faith in his team... I'll take the Spurs over the Warriors any day, I don't care what happened in one regular season game.

ElNono
02-27-2016, 11:52 PM
Not worried about the Warriors, tbh... getting past the Grizzlies is the real problem...

timtonymanu
02-27-2016, 11:53 PM
Indeed.

RD2191
02-27-2016, 11:53 PM
Kawhi has a lil something for Curry. Don't underestimate the DPOY.

RD2191
02-27-2016, 11:54 PM
Not worried about the Warriors, tbh... getting past the Grizzlies is the real problem...
Lmfao

SASdynasty!
02-27-2016, 11:54 PM
we're going to lose to them and it's going to be fine

they are playing amazing and anyone thinking they will magically crumble in the playoffs is delusional

but to answer your question, YES
To be fair, they crumble every season in the playoffs. Last year they played a bunch of very injured squads and didn't even win those very easily. I'll believe it when I see it. Last time we played GS in the playoffs, Parker outplayed Curry. He's a great player, but Parker was scoring 55 at one point too. We'll see if it translates into multiple championships or a FMVP.

midnightpulp
02-27-2016, 11:55 PM
We have everything to gain and nothing to lose. Beating the (healthy) Warriors en route to a title would be the most impressive title run in NBA history, even more impressive than the "Redemption" title of 2014, which is currently the most impressive title run in NBA history.

spursistan
We won't roll over, but it pretty evident that we are going to be overmatched..Wish Tim/Manu /Tony were younger, i would call a toss up, but i can't in 2016..

SpursFan86
Depends on if we went on to win it all. Can you imagine if we took down GS after they broke the single season record for wins, and then went on to lose to Cleveland in the Finals? :lol

UNT Eagles 2016
02-27-2016, 11:57 PM
Depends on if we went on to win it all. Can you imagine if we took down GS after they broke the single season record for wins, and then went on to lose to Cleveland in the Finals? :lol
that would be ass but I don't see that happening. Cleveland isn't as good as last year regardless of who is healthy. Their coach is NBDL level.

Mugen
02-27-2016, 11:58 PM
Like mid said, it's house money at this point tbh.

SpursFan86
02-27-2016, 11:58 PM
that would be ass but I don't see that happening. Cleveland isn't as good as last year regardless of who is healthy. Their coach is NBDL level.

I agree, don't see how we could manage to get past a team as good as GS and then go on to lose against Cleveland. Just pointing out how awful it'd be :lol

timtonymanu
02-27-2016, 11:59 PM

Fuck it, the Spurs have 5 titles already. If they can eliminate a team that can beat the 72-10 record, it's a great accomplishment.

TheGreatYacht
02-28-2016, 12:01 AM
Manu? What is that TOSB going to do

SpurPadre
02-28-2016, 12:02 AM
Considering how it becomes more of a halfcourt game in the playoffs, I'd say we still have a shot to beat them but it will be incredibly difficult. It would be the greatest feat not just in franchise history but sports history.

HankChinaski
02-28-2016, 12:05 AM
I will wait to reserve judgement on this Spurs team once they have played them the remainder of their match ups against Golden State. I won't say the first game against them was a fluke, but the Spurs can definitely play better than that piss poor performance they laid out then. Golden State is the team to beat for the Championship.

TheGreatYacht
02-28-2016, 12:09 AM
Won't top beating the 3 peat Lakers and 2014... IMO

TXstbobcat
02-28-2016, 12:10 AM
Won't top beating the 3 peat Lakers and 2014... IMO

I agree. Nothing will top 2014.

Robz4000
02-28-2016, 12:11 AM
We have everything to gain and nothing to lose. Beating the (healthy) Warriors en route to a title would be the most impressive title run in NBA history, even more impressive than the "Redemption" title of 2014, which is currently the most impressive title run in NBA history.

Idk. As good as the Dubs are that 2014 run was pretty damn satisfying. Doesn't help the NBA this year is a joke.

HarlemHeat37
02-28-2016, 12:11 AM
The Warriors would be the Spurs best opponent since the 2001 Lakers, tbh..beating them probably wouldn't be as satisfying as the 2014 run, but in terms of opponent strength, it would definitely be the most difficult since 2001..

midnightpulp
02-28-2016, 12:14 AM
Idk. As good as the Dubs are that 2014 run was pretty damn satisfying. Doesn't help the NBA this year is a joke.

Agreed, from a emotional standpoint, 2014 will probably remain forever at the top as long as we're alive, but from an "impressive" standpoint, I think the Spurs dethroning these fucks enroute to a title would top the list.

SpursFan86
02-28-2016, 12:18 AM
Oh if you're looking at it strictly from a difficulty of opponent standpoint, winning this year would definitely be our best title and arguably one of the best of all-time. Chances are we'll have to go through OKC-GS-Cleveland. Two teams that would be title contenders in most years + one of the greatest teams of all-time.

But yeah, when you factor in what happened in 2013, I don't think anything will ever top 2014. That playoff run (Finals in particular) was far and away the best experience I've ever had as a sports fan.

Down Under
02-28-2016, 12:33 AM
Kawhi is going to lock Curry down on one end, then exploit his mismatch on the other end. He will then unquestionably be the best player in the NBA.

HankChinaski
02-28-2016, 12:36 AM
2014. No doubt. Game 6 was rough. That following season and that playoff run and taking down the Heat. EPIC.

Beating this Golden State Team for a #6 I put underneath it with a tie between dethroning the lakers.

On a side note. I work at the airport and Shaq came through here in San Antonio this weekend. He was wearing his Championship ring. All I have to say is that thing could fit two or three of my fingers. It was comically ridiculous for a ring. He earned it.

spursistan
02-28-2016, 12:42 AM
they are 8-0 vs Spurs/Thunder/Clippers/Cleveland..either they blew fuck out of them or made demoralizing comebacks when those teams thought they got it..

james evans
02-28-2016, 01:03 AM
I guess I'm one of the few Spurs fans who still has some faith in his team... I'll take the Spurs over the Warriors any day, I don't care what happened in one regular season game.
likewise

Kawhitstorm
02-28-2016, 02:24 AM
Kawhi has a lil something for Curry. Don't underestimate the DPOY.

In the 96 Finals, DPOY Gary Payton locked up MVP Jordan after he switched on to him in Gm 4 & the Sonics made a series out of it after being down 3-0. Let's just hope Pop rotates Danny/Kawhi on Curry rather than Porker/Patty.......or Andre Miller.:lol

SpursIndonesia
02-28-2016, 08:49 AM

Yup, and shooters can get hot in a stretch, if Green and Leonard catch fire on the right series, who knows ? LMA will have to step up and Manu needs to at least be healthy enough as the bench orchestrator, while TD is back to his normal self as rim protector capable of playing at least 30 minutes per game against them. So many ifs, but the would be opponent indeed is a very formidable one.

UNT Eagles 2016
02-28-2016, 08:52 AM
One thing for sure is that their bench is certainly beatable. If we can make big headway there with Manu back... look out. Make guys like Marreese Speights take those inefficient 18 footers from the top of the circle. Barbosa, too. Etc.

Mr. Body
02-28-2016, 09:09 AM
I've never seen a team like the Warriors. It's inhuman how good they are, winning games they have no right to win.

UZER
02-28-2016, 09:17 AM
Play curry tough, but straight up, no doubles. Let him score 80. Just stay home on everybody else all game long. The human brain will not let someone shoot 20 times in a row. He'll eventually start forcing passes to other teammates to try to get them involved which will be playing into your hands if you stay home. Plus, letting him shoot everytime is a win psychologically for your D because he's doing exactly what you want him to do, even if he scores, so it's not demoralizing like it is if you scramble scramble scramble and get beat.

Plus, even if he scores 80, he'll get tired carrying that kinda load for 6-7 games.

T Park
02-28-2016, 10:29 AM
The Warriors would be the Spurs best opponent since the 2001 Lakers, tbh..beating them probably wouldn't be as satisfying as the 2014 run, but in terms of opponent strength, it would definitely be the most difficult since 2001..

Agreed 100%. However I'd say this team, compared to who the 01 Spurs matched up to the 01 Lakers, isn't as behind the talent 8 ball as that team was.

TheDoctor
02-28-2016, 10:34 AM
Not worried about the Warriors, tbh... getting past Matt Barnes is the real problem...

Fixed :toast

Horse
02-28-2016, 10:34 AM
Fuck the naysayers legs get tired the playoffs are a different animal. Shit happens Go Spurs Go!!!

TheDoctor
02-28-2016, 10:38 AM
Fuck the naysayers legs get tired the playoffs are a different animal. Shit happens Go Spurs Go!!!

Not when you aren't playing 4th quarters like the G.Showers. But I'm with you. I believe we got a good chance to take em out.

wildbill2u
02-28-2016, 10:29 PM
Take away their great shooters by using the hack-a-bum. They have several players who shoot less than 70 percent and are vulnerable to this tactic. Pop can use 10 players to get 6 fouls each. That is 60 possessions. If they shoot 100%, good on them. If they shoot their average, they make maybe 36 points out of that total. Boring but could work. Anything to keep the splash boys from going crazy on us.

gospursgojas
02-28-2016, 11:40 PM
More specifically, solve Draymond/Curry high pick and roll. Its 80% of their offense.

baseline bum
02-28-2016, 11:43 PM

That's what made 2013 so bitter. The Spurs had solved the 66 win Heat and then Parker had to get injured. :pctoss

baseline bum
02-28-2016, 11:45 PM
One thing for sure is that their bench is certainly beatable. If we can make big headway there with Manu back... look out. Make guys like Marreese Speights take those inefficient 18 footers from the top of the circle. Barbosa, too. Etc.

Livingston is a nightmare matchup for the Spurs

Kawhitstorm
02-29-2016, 12:54 AM
Livingston is a nightmare matchup for the Spurs

Fathead will solve him, just watch.:wakeup

sananspursfan21
02-29-2016, 01:15 AM
I love reading the naysayers comments, my goodness. Still a lot of basketball to be played and these runaway seasons more often than not turn over results that no one expected. The 72-10 is the exception to the rule. I remember this Dallas Mavericks team that was pretty unbeatable.....

Kawhitstorm
02-29-2016, 02:04 AM
Agreed 100%. However I'd say this team, compared to who the 01 Spurs matched up to the 01 Lakers, isn't as behind the talent 8 ball as that team was.

The current Spurs are far more superior than any team the '01 Lakers faced during their run.
-'01 Blazers: '16 Rockets
-'01 Queens: '16 Cavs
-'01 Spurs w/o Derek Anderson: '16 Cripples without Blake/ReDick
-'01 Sixers: '16 Heat with Wade on a good day

If we look at it from a historical stand point then the closest one is: '96 Bulls: '16 Worriers / '96 Sonics: '16 Spurs
From an opposing stylistic stand point: '13 Heat: '16 Worriers / '13 Pacers: '16 Spurs

ezau
02-29-2016, 03:31 AM
Play curry tough, but straight up, no doubles. Let him score 80. Just stay home on everybody else all game long. The human brain will not let someone shoot 20 times in a row. He'll eventually start forcing passes to other teammates to try to get them involved which will be playing into your hands if you stay home. Plus, letting him shoot everytime is a win psychologically for your D because he's doing exactly what you want him to do, even if he scores, so it's not demoralizing like it is if you scramble scramble scramble and get beat.

Plus, even if he scores 80, he'll get tired carrying that kinda load for 6-7 games.

This. Curry can carry a team for one or two games, but for 6-7? :lol OKC already showed a template on how to beat GSW in the playoffs.

Kawhitstorm
02-29-2016, 05:30 AM
This. Curry can carry a team for one or two games, but for 6-7? :lol OKC already showed a template on how to beat GSW in the playoffs.

The template is getting lucky and facing the Worriers on an off night.:lol (Barnes/Draymond were blowing point blank layups & they were bricking WIDE open 3s...not to mention OKC getting away w/ 20+ turnovers)

Worriers on an average night would demolish OKC like they did in the 1st half of their first meeting at the Oracle.

TrainOfThought5
02-29-2016, 06:09 AM
That's what made 2013 so bitter. The Spurs had solved the 66 win Heat and then Parker had to get injured. :pctoss

.......... manu?

ceperez
02-29-2016, 06:45 AM
The game get tighter in the playoffs once teams become familiar with the tendencies of the opposing players.

Just looked at what happened to GSW against the Cavs in the finals. GSW looked mortal.

Pop is prepping the Spurs for a bump and grind post-up every time offense. That's going to take its toll on opposing players. What you need to do is take the legs from under the jump shooting Warriors. That's done by tiring them out.

Spurs brought in Andre Miller to make sure that anyone that Curry is guarding will be the focal point of the Spurs offense. Curry will have to work his butt out on defense..... that's the game plan. You can bank on it! An exhausted Curry is a recipe to beating the Dubs.

rasuo214
02-29-2016, 07:28 AM
The template is getting lucky and facing the Worriers on an off night.:lol (Barnes/Draymond were blowing point blank layups & they were bricking WIDE open 3s...not to mention OKC getting away w/ 20+ turnovers)

Worriers on an average night would demolish OKC like they did in the 1st half of their first meeting at the Oracle.

Draymond has been trash from 3 since getting embarrassed by Kevin Hart. 2-14 (2-15 if you count the AS game), ended the month of February 3-17. So Draymond bricking wide open 3s isn't an anomaly right now. We'll see if his awful 3 point shooting continues.

SupremeGuy
02-29-2016, 08:10 AM
Not worried about the Warriors, tbh... getting past the Grizzlies is the real problem...:lol

ezau
02-29-2016, 09:02 AM

Draymond was barely seeing wide open lanes because OKC was switching all the time. OKC could've finished that game if they didn't commit dumb turnovers and Durant fouling out. I'm pretty sure POP has taken notes and believe me, the Spurs will dare Curry to go off 60 a game in seven-game series. :lol

NameLess Scrub
02-29-2016, 10:22 AM

NameLess Scrub
02-29-2016, 10:23 AM
More specifically, solve Draymond/Curry high pick and roll. Its 80% of their offense.

Isn't that the refs job?

02-29-2016, 10:55 AM
Pop can't even solve CP3/Jordan PnR :lol

r0drig0lac
02-29-2016, 11:02 AM
Take away their great shooters by using the hack-a-bum. They have several players who shoot less than 70 percent and are vulnerable to this tactic. Pop can use 10 players to get 6 fouls each. That is 60 possessions. If they shoot 100%, good on them. If they shoot their average, they make maybe 36 points out of that total. Boring but could work. Anything to keep the splash boys from going crazy on us.
I've been saying this for some time, I hope Pop and the other teams are holding this strategy to the playoffs

Big Empty
02-29-2016, 11:17 AM
Spurs will have to slow the game down and do alot of passing to find an open shot. The minute it turns into kawhi or lm trying to take over and taking early contested shots we are done. The key to the series is stealing one at golden state in the first two games. Curry is going to nail his 10 3's every game. We have to take the best shot by moving the ball, we have alot of weapons also

Big Empty
02-29-2016, 11:20 AM
Also we need Tony Romo to attend a Golden State game and root for Golden State

tbdog
02-29-2016, 11:37 AM
It may sound simple, but the only way is too is to punish their small ball. You must win the rebound battle by a large margin to have a shot, and even then it will still be close. Hypothetically, you should win the rebound against the small ball. They kinda give up on that. That is their weakness. Cut down on turnovers as well. This is the hardest, because their hands are hacking all over the place, and they just eat you alive when you do turn it over.

As for defensive strategies? I am not sure how to defend Curry. To defend him 40 ft from the rim is just nuts. But I feel you kinda need to relax a bit on him. What I mean is, stop reacting so much. Off ball, he fake cuts to the rim hard, then runs behind the ball handler (Green) for a hand off three pointer. That is the problem, defenders are just trying to smother him and they react to his movements so much. You kinda need to let him cut and use the towers to challenge the shot on the cut. I hope that makes sense.

spursistan
03-02-2016, 01:13 AM
the luck of this Dubs team is absolutely disgusting, tbh :lol..Draymond Green off balance falling bailout 3 with 40 second :lmao..YOU can't beat this combination (being really good + lady luck.. they have fucking won like 5 games this way this season..

ElNono
03-02-2016, 01:17 AM
the luck of this Dubs team is absolutely disgusting, tbh :lol..Draymond Green off balance falling bailout 3 with 40 second :lmao..YOU can't beat this combination (being really good + lady luck.. they have fucking won like 5 games this way this season..

it happens, tbh... one day they're not going to go in...

Benoit
03-02-2016, 01:32 AM

you make your own luck in sports and in life

when a team wins 67 and then an NBA championship in dominant fashion and then will beat the Bulls 72-win record and then win another championship, you cant call that blind luck lmao