PDA

View Full Version : How should Pop treat the rest of season?

spursistan
02-28-2016, 05:02 PM
We aren't getting caught by Cleveland or OKC as both are 8/9 games back in loss column..It may look as lost cause, but think we should make one last push tor top seed before March 17th showdown against the Warriors, maybe GSW drop a one or two games before that, which will give us an opening with 2 H2H games left on schedule..Lost in all Curry craziness, the Warriors haven't been dominant since the break, relying on +40 points games from Steph to pull off these nailbaiters...

If I'm Pop, i would wait before waiving white flag on HC, but most importantly, this team needs to regain its rhythm and intensity back..Maybe someone like Tony should get a breather with few DNPs in April (hence the Miller addition), but Tim , Boris and later on Manu should get a bit of extra burn to regain their mojo...This team hasn't broken sweat en route to 50-9, so i don't see the point for going mutiple DNPs for our key guys; in fact few wins over fellow contenders (OKC, Clippers, Warriors..) is good for the overall confidence..

apalisoc_9
02-28-2016, 05:16 PM
If they are still down by 4 games in the 70 game mark, just prioritize rest and experimentation. 3 and below, push for the first seed.

apalisoc_9
02-28-2016, 05:19 PM
We still have three games against the warriors. Easier said tha done, but beat them losing three times to non spurs competition and spurs beating them every game gives the spurs a 2 game life line. Its' extrmely unlikely but 21-2 isnt impossible for a team like the spurs.

Kawhitstorm
02-28-2016, 05:24 PM
If they are still down by 4 games in the 70 game mark, just prioritize rest and experimentation. 3 and below, push for the first seed.

If they don't win the head-to-head aka sweep the remaining 3 games then the #1 seed if out of the questions. Thus, the time should be used to sharpen up the transition defense which has been horrific to say the least.:lol

spursistan
02-28-2016, 05:33 PM
Somone like Tim has gotten enough rest to the point that is become detriment to his playing rythym..He has looked better the past two games, i don't think it would be wise to put him in mothballs again ..a 15 MPG is better than none..Same for Kawhi; after a lull in January, he looks to be ending the year on a tear like last season (22 PPG in Feb on 54% and 50% from 3PT), you wouldn't want to disrupt that..

Spurs 4 The Win
02-28-2016, 05:34 PM
We aren't getting caught by Cleveland or OKC as both are 8/9 games back in loss column..It may look as lost cause, but think we should make one last push tor top seed before March 17th showdown against the Warriors, maybe GSW drop a one or two games before that, which will give us an opening with 2 H2H games left on schedule..Lost in all Curry craziness, the Warriors haven't been dominant since the break, relying on +40 points games from Steph to pull off these nailbaiters...

If I'm Pop, i would wait before waiving white flag with HC, but most importantly, this team needs to regain its rhythm and intensity back..Maybe someone like Tony should get a breather with few DNPs in April (hence the Miller addition), but Tim , Boris and later on Manu should get a bit of extra burn to regain their mojo...This team hasn't broken sweat en route to 50-9, so i don't see the point for going mutiple DNPs for our key guys; in fact few wins over fellow contenders (OKC, Clippers, Warriors..) is good for the overall confidence..

Whats funny is that if we didnt give away that game to OKC, Washington, and New Orleans early in the season when we were still trying to find our rhythm as team then we would only be one loss back. Warriors have had more close calls than us to be honest and havent looked very good since the break. I honestly dont see them beating a full strength Spurs team without relying on 40 point games nightly in the WCF from Curry and if he does that, then they deserve the title.

apalisoc_9
02-28-2016, 05:36 PM
Somone like Tim has gotten enough rest to the point that is become detriment to his playing rythym..He has looked better the past two games, i don't think it would be wise to put him in mothballs again ..a 15 MPG is better than none..Same for Kawhi; after a lull in January, he looks to be ending the year on a tear like last season (22 PPG in Feb on 54% and 50% from 3PT), you wouldn't want to disrupt that..

I know i know...Im just saying if there is zero chance to capture first seed...prioritize rest. Dont want possible injuries. Thats not to say they dont play..they need to play to get in rhytem.

Sec24Row7
02-28-2016, 05:37 PM
:troll

With the warriors playing like they are, I think we should try to lose out and get a shot at simmons in the lottery...

3 or 4 ping pong balls is better odds than a head to head with a team that is 53-5.

:corn:

illusioNtEk
02-28-2016, 05:38 PM
As a basketball player myself... you need to have your body conditioned and ready for the playoffs... to much time off is a bad thing for older players.

dbestpro
02-28-2016, 05:39 PM
Defense has been good, but I think they still need some work to get back to they type of ball movement that took down the Heat.

apalisoc_9
02-28-2016, 05:49 PM
Defense has been good, but I think they still need some work to get back to they type of ball movement that took down the Heat.

No they dont..:lmao

Kawhitstorm
02-28-2016, 06:03 PM
Whats funny is that if we didnt give away that game to OKC, Washington, and New Orleans early in the season when we were still trying to find our rhythm as team then we would only be one loss back. Warriors have had more close calls than us to be honest and havent looked very good since the break. I honestly dont see them beating a full strength Spurs team without relying on 40 point games nightly in the WCF from Curry and if he does that, then they deserve the title.

Worrier got blown out WITHOUT Curry & lost another one w/ Curry limping around after being kicked in the shin. The Spurs have lost two games they should have won since those early season matchups: @Crockets/@Cripples:rolleyes

dbestpro
02-28-2016, 06:06 PM
No they dont..:lmao

Yes, they do.:bang

apalisoc_9
02-28-2016, 06:09 PM
Yes, they do.:bang

Casual fan :lmao

HarlemHeat37
02-28-2016, 06:12 PM
Keep doing what they're doing, tbh..

Rest is always important, but staying in rhtythm is essential, especially since Ginobili is going to need time to get back into things..

Anderson has emerged as the 4th wing, but it's very important that he builds a rapport with Manu when he returns..he's getting minutes with the SL, too, but he will need to learn to keep the aggression when Ginobili is on the floor with him if Pop is going to trust him in the playoffs..

The Warriors games should be used for experimentation, too..Parker and Mills had a train run on them by the Warriors in game 1, hopefully Pop uses the next games to figure out alternatives vs. Livingston, etc..

Kikoluna
02-28-2016, 06:30 PM

With the warriors playing like they are, I think we should try to lose out and get a shot at simmons in the lottery...

3 or 4 ping pong balls is better odds than a head to head with a team that is 53-5.

Thats Just Madness. How you are not getting some severe wrath is beyond me.

Kikoluna
02-28-2016, 07:04 PM
We still have three games against the warriors. Easier said tha done, but beat them losing three times to non spurs competition and spurs beating them every game gives the spurs a 2 game life line. Its' extrmely unlikely but 21-2 isnt impossible for a team like the spurs.

Let's stay positive. Those 3 teams probably are okc, dallas, clippers. Maybe hawks. That's a huge probably.

cjw
02-28-2016, 07:25 PM

Problem with letting up at the 70 game mark if four back is there are two Warrior games in the last 5 games. It would be especially foolish if the Spurs win the first GSW matchup, which means winning out against GS = tiebreaker. If they tie 2-2, Spurs will likely have the tiebreaker anyway based on conference record - 4 of their losses against East vs. 2 for GSW.

Tying 2-2 though means Spurs having to make up three in the loss column elsewhere. That will be a herculean task given how light the Warriors' schedule is with only one more each against LAC and OKC, both at Oracle. Warriors have a very home-heavy schedule with a 18-8 H/A, while Spurs are 14-11 H/A.

Given that, I'd start strategically resting guys as soon as they lose to GSW or fall further than 5 back in the loss column.

Someone mentioned the Warriors having slowed down from their torrid start. In terms of margin of victory, Warriors are only at +9.3 since the start of December, which was right before their first loss vs. +11.3 on the year. Spurs have actually stepped it up to +14.1 since the start of December (+12.6 on the year). In 2016, it's +11.3 to +10.4 Spurs.

The big question to me how much of the Warriors' success in close games is luck vs. skill. Last night was a bit of both. They're 13-1 in games decided by two possessions or less OR that went to OT. Spurs are only 8-5, with no games going to OT. Both have four losses by over 6 points.

Gagnrath
02-28-2016, 09:41 PM
Because we recognize that he is saying inflammatory crap trying to get a reaction and be an attention whore. That's why he wasn't getting any response. He was being troll bait but wasn't very good at it, since you have to be at least somewhat sincere to successfully pull it off.

spursistan
03-02-2016, 12:36 AM
wrong thread..

sananspursfan21
03-02-2016, 12:41 AM

Yo, tbh dawg, you forgot da blue font tbh

SAGirl
03-02-2016, 02:31 AM
At this point, its easy... get Manu back rolling, Pop make up your mind on Anderson or not... bc we have some tough teams coming up and if you do intend to use the man for matches or what not against some teams in the playoffs now is the time to find out if he has it.

Tweak things, get Andre Miller familiar.

Maybe manage Timmy enough so that the knee is not balking, but not so much that he's out of rhythm.

Maybe rest Tony a game or two in B2B bc he's had a load to carry with others injured.

Get Bobo rolling and in the right mindset... if he's got to loose weight a bit, that diet has to start now. :stirpot:

I think Pop will always want to win every game, but right now other things have priority like gelling right back with Manu, and getting the old vets RC signed on board.

Mnky
03-02-2016, 03:54 AM

This is important. Most of the spurs players can not create on their own. Without a good passing system their offense suffers greatly. They haven't been looking for their three shots like they used to. Patty and Danny are starting to come along tho. Kawhi is finally looking for more 3s as well. With each player playing a new role this year, it has definitely disrupted their flow some, but Kawhi Danny and lma all play good together so that's a good sign.
Definitely need to pick up the passing game tho.

spursistan
03-06-2016, 05:53 PM
3 games in the loss column from the Warriors after a monumental upset to the Lakers..Don't you dare white flag it Pop! :lol

Need to give this team a chance, they deserve it after historical season of their own..we have our destiny in our hands with regard to HC..Win out :flag:

cjw
03-06-2016, 06:00 PM
3 games in the loss column from the Warriors after a monumental upset to the Lakers..Don't you dare white flag it Pop! :lol

Need to give this team a chance, they deserve it after historical season of their own..we have our destiny in our hands with regard to HC..Win out :flag:

Until they lose to the Ws, you play for the 1 seed. They have already managed to pick and choose spots to rest guys strategically so you keep doing that where you still have a 60%+ win probability.

BillMc
03-06-2016, 06:04 PM

+1 million.

Horry Hipcheck
03-06-2016, 06:12 PM
Keep the foot on the gas until maybe ten games remain. Continue to manage minutes and rest strategically, but if by the time there's ten games left they're not any closer than two games out, it may not be worth it.

UNT Eagles 2016
03-06-2016, 08:15 PM
Lay it all out on the table... remember 2003 and our season-long pursuit of the Mavs and how that ended... :flag:

DPG21920
03-06-2016, 08:28 PM
Pop has been and will continue to manage minutes, but the good news is we've turned the corner into the last quarter of the season and at least everyone is back on the court. Get a good groove going, keep everyone as healthy as possible and put the final touches on rotations the last 10 games or so.

DMC
03-06-2016, 09:03 PM
Pop should keep playing to get better as a team, not switch modes into some preservation attempt. Just play basketball, give guys minutes you need to see play and let guys rest you need to let rest. The rest will work itself out.

spursistan
03-13-2016, 12:24 AM
Iggy out at least two weeks for Warriors..Just like against the Lakers, they are out of whack without him..Spurs need to keep pedal to the metal..Dubs could lose few unexpected ones..