Serbia & Montenegro
Puerto Rico
Croatia
Russia
Israel
Italy
Turkey
Canada

Who do you think should be invited out of those? Is any other team missing from that list? Who will be invited by FIBA?

This new structure in the the competition (From 16 to 24 teams) looks good on paper, many good teams, with a lot of possible interesting games even in the early stages. In my opinion, Serbia, Puerto Rico, Italy, and Croatia or Canada should get those invitations.

Solid D
09-25-2005, 11:29 PM
Croatia needs to be invited by FIBA as a wildcard team. They deserve to be there since they got a bad deal on the officiating vs. Spain plus the injuries to Planinic and Kasun.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
09-25-2005, 11:36 PM
Croatia needs to be invited by FIBA as a wildcard team. They deserve to be there since they got a bad deal on the officiating vs. Spain plus the injuries to Planinic and Kasun.

Probably yes. I forgot to say, I'm against this invitation system, it looks like "Doesn't matter if you don't qualify as long as you are a big team in international basketball". All the qualifying spots should be decided in the court, not in the offices.

angel_luv
09-26-2005, 02:13 AM
Probably yes. I forgot to say, I'm against this invitation system, it looks like "Doesn't matter if you don't qualify as long as you are a big team in international basketball". All the qualifying spots should be decided in the court, not in the offices.

I agree with that.

I don't understand the method to that madness.

timvp
09-26-2005, 02:14 AM
So you are telling me that the US could have not qualified and been picked as a wild card? Then why were people in the media freaking out over exhibition losses to Brazil?

Stupid.

velik_m
09-26-2005, 02:21 AM
I agree with that.

I don't understand the method to that madness.

failsafe mechanism in case USA doesn't qualify.

Kobayagi
09-26-2005, 02:39 AM
Then why were people in the media freaking out over exhibition losses to Brazil.

Because it's a disgrace if the US team loses to ANYONE.

Europe gets only two wild cards. I think Serbia & Montenegro and Italy are going to get them.

velik_m
09-26-2005, 02:47 AM
Europe gets only two wild cards. I think Serbia & Montenegro and Italy are going to get them.

My guess would be S&M and Russia...

NZHayden
09-26-2005, 05:29 AM
i thought s&m were the defending champs? who's hosting the WC?

ata
09-26-2005, 05:46 AM
Japan!

Thomy
09-26-2005, 06:16 AM
when will we know who gets the wild cards

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
09-26-2005, 06:41 AM
i thought s&m were the defending champs? who's hosting the WC?

The World Championships winner gets automatic qualification for the Olympics. Since Serbia won the 2002 WC, they qualified for the 2004 Olympics. The 2004 Olympics winner, Argentina got automatic qualification for the 2006 World Championships.

Basically it works this way:
WC Winner: Qualified for Olympics (2 years after)
Olympics winner: Qualified for World Championships (2 years after)

So you are telling me that the US could have not qualified and been picked as a wild card? Then why were people in the media freaking out over exhibition losses to Brazil?

Stupid.

Well, appart from the current criticism and bashing from some writers to Team USA (some justified, some not), one of the articles I've read being critic towards the team was quite uninformed about how international basketball works (Someone posted it here, I'm not sure in which thread.). The writer was freaking out about some loss against Venezuela, but he didn't even know how the qualifying system worked. USA sent a team with only one player in an NBA roster (Charlie Bell), and I believe it has been proved that international basketball has grown and that is not enough to win the competition, but those players got the target their were chosen for, that is qualification.

when will we know who gets the wild cards

From FIBA's website:
After those 20 teams are determined, FIBA will have the difficult task to decide on the 4 remaining spots, which will be assigned as "wild cards". The FIBA Central Board which will meet on 26/27 November this year in Rome, Italy, will make the decision according to the following criteria:

In order to be invited the team must have participated in the FIBA Zone Qualifying Championship
There can be a maximum of three teams from any one FIBA Zone

Together with the above two criteria, FIBA shall take into consideration the following aspects:

Sporting Aspects
- Popularity of basketball in the country
- Quality and sporting results of the national team of the country
- Quality of work of National Federation

Economic Aspects
- Involvement of local television and/or competitions in domestic and international basketball
- Importance of country to FIBA's marketing and television partners
- Importance of country to the Organizers of the World Championship

With all the 24 teams decided the group drawing to decide the preliminary round match-ups will take place in January 2006 in Japan.

Yeah, that sounds as awful as it did the first time you've read it. Try again, it stills makes only one sense: "To hell with sport merit, show me the $$$"

NZHayden
09-26-2005, 07:21 AM
cool thanks left hand

drivanroca
09-26-2005, 08:10 AM
Yeah, that sounds as awful as it did the first time you've read it. Try again, it stills makes only one sense: "To hell with sport merit, show me the $$$"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/tcf/e029d7d0.jpg

:depressed :depressed :depressed

Kobayagi
09-26-2005, 09:56 AM
The FIBA Central Board which will meet on 26/27 November this year in Rome, Italy, will make the decision

Anyone wanna bet they wouldn't dare not give Italy one of those invitations? :lol

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
09-26-2005, 10:02 AM
Anyone wanna bet they wouldn't dare not give Italy one of those invitations? :lol

Hehehe, haven't noticed that one. I can imagine the possible scenario:

FIBA: "Well, we'd like to anounce that Serbia, Puerto Rico, Croatia and..."
(Sound of guns being loaded)
Italian Basketball Asociation guy: "I'm gonna make you an offer you can't refuse"
FIBA: "...and the lovely and powerful nation of Italy will be the 4 teams going into the World Championships"

Kobayagi
09-26-2005, 10:09 AM
I don't expect Europe to get 3 of them. Rumours here say that Europe will most likely get two of them. I guess noone suspected the hosts of Eurobasket 2005 would fail to qualify.

I think Italy has it guaranteed. From the sporting aspect, I'd say Serbia, from the economic aspect, I'd have to go with Russia. Croatia...I don't think they stand a chance of getting one.

This would make an interesting vBookie. Kori, what say you? :angel

WalterBenitez
09-26-2005, 10:44 AM
Italy = 2nd Olimpycs
Russia = History
Israel = Euro League club's history
S&M = History, and plz put them in ARG's group!!!

kolko
09-26-2005, 11:25 AM
Italy = 2nd Olimpycs
Russia = History
Israel = Euro League club's history
S&M = History, and plz put them in ARG's group!!!

They can't invite four teams from the same continent. Max of 3.

Slomo
09-26-2005, 12:03 PM
I think they'll invite Italy = host
and
SCG = defending champs

dunkman
09-26-2005, 01:25 PM
Serbia-Montenegro must be there as the defending back-to-back champions. Obviously, we will play with Argentina a win or die game and defeat them spectacularly once again.

The other from Europe could be Italy or Russia. From the rest of the world it could be Canada and Puerto Rico.

angel_luv
09-26-2005, 01:30 PM
Serbia-Montenegro must be there as the defeninding back-to-back champions. Obviously, we will play with Argentina a win or die game and defeat them spectacularly once again.

The other from Europe could be Italy or Russia. From the rest of the world it could be Canada and Puerto Rico.

Who is we?

nkdlunch
09-26-2005, 01:32 PM
Serbia-Montenegro must be there as the defeninding back-to-back champions. Obviously, we will play with Argentina a win or die game and defeat them spectacularly once again.

spectacularly = help from refs? :)

dunkman
09-26-2005, 01:37 PM
spectacularly = help from refs? :)And you can speak about refs help... like fouling out Duncan quickly :lol.

angel_luv
09-26-2005, 01:54 PM
Who is we???

dunkman
09-26-2005, 01:57 PM
AL & R, Serbia and Montenegro... so on I guess. It depends much on the context...

Solid D
09-26-2005, 02:29 PM
Then there is the organized crime rumors:

Carl Men Ky Ching, of Hong Kong and President of the FIBA was denied an entry to Australia to attend the 2000 Sydney Olympics because the Australian Federal Police claimed that he was associated with organized crime.

It was also reported that Ching is not allowed into Canada because of similar concerns.

http://www.primetimecrime.com/APNS/20030724riggedawards.htm

WalterBenitez
09-27-2005, 10:17 AM
So ...

2 or 3 for Europe (Italy, S&M (you know who they are :D), and probably ... Russia)
1 or 2 from ROW (Rest of the world), I'll go with Puerto Rico, Canada or some from Asia.

Kobayagi
09-27-2005, 10:51 AM
Rumours say that Puerto Rico is definitely going to get one, probably S&M too because they are defending champs and it would be ridiculous if they couldn't defend the title, Turkey because they host the 2010 world championships and Italy because they (together with Germany) have signed some kind of agreement with FIBA guaranteeing them a place in the championships in case they wouldn't qualify. When S&M was eliminated from the recent eurobasket tournament and Italy already out of the competition there were rumours that Germany MUST beat Slovenia for a place in the semifinal and automatic qualification for WC otherwise S&M wouldn't get the wild card. Luckily, Germany beat Slovenia without the referees having to interfere.

dunkman
09-27-2005, 01:30 PM
I can see that many fans have demential hard feelings and lunatic hatery toward the proud back to back World champions (yes, I gues all know who we are), because we ware more succesfull then most of them.

Thanks for the GREAT generation of players that gave us so much, and I know they would give us more, but we ware banned from three tournaments.

This information will cause a nervious break down to some of you, for which I feel sorry :), but there is nothing politic, religious, "statement" wise, irregular, conspirating, or similar in winning in sports.

As the time goes, the demential jelous hatery toward our Serbian and Montengrin basketball team remains, only the crazy pretenders change, and I REALLY cant even remember them all :lol.

Kobayagi
09-27-2005, 01:43 PM
I can see that many fans have demential hard feelings and lunatic hatery toward the proud back to back World champions.

Lost me there...didn't notice any hatred towards S&M in this thread or anywhere else. :oops Who are you talking about?

dunkman
09-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Rumours say that Puerto Rico is definitely going to get one, probably S&M too because they are defending champs and it would be ridiculous if they couldn't defend the title, Turkey because they host the 2010 world championships and Italy because they (together with Germany) have signed some kind of agreement with FIBA guaranteeing them a place in the championships in case they wouldn't qualify. When S&M was eliminated from the recent eurobasket tournament and Italy already out of the competition there were rumours that Germany MUST beat Slovenia for a place in the semifinal and automatic qualification for WC otherwise S&M wouldn't get the wild card. Luckily, Germany beat Slovenia without the referees having to interfere.To start, as it seems, you have some trouble spelling the name our country.

For the rest... check your post.

Kobayagi
09-27-2005, 01:56 PM
I'm sorry if you are offended by me trying to save time with spelling the name of your country. I wasn't trying to be disrespectful.

I've always respected your team and your players (hey, 15 years ago, this was OUR team). As far as I'm concerned there's no doubt where the best basketball players in Europe come from. And I really don't think there is anything in my post that could be understood as a sign of hatred towards Serbia & Montenegro. (I'll spell it every time from now on, ok?) My post was anti-FIBA oriented, you misunderstood me.

dunkman
09-27-2005, 03:11 PM
The refs should do a better job in FIBA tournaments, Euroleague and the NBA too. What reeks are the double standards.

When a ref miss a call in a Worlds final against Argentina, help us good Lord, there is a worldwide conspirancy. When Duncan gets fouled out quickly, there is nothing to complain - it's logical, the Argentines are so Olympic champions.

When France wins Serbia-Montenegro benefited by bad calls at the end of the game, it's a huge upset. When Greece wins France or when Spain wins Croatia, under similar circumstances... it's a bounty rebelion.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
09-27-2005, 07:08 PM
The refs should do a better job in FIBA tournaments, Euroleague and the NBA too. What reeks are the double standards.

When a ref miss a call in a Worlds final against Argentina, help us good Lord, there is a worldwide conspirancy. When Duncan gets fouled out quickly, there is nothing to complain - it's logical, the Argentines are so Olympic champions.

When France wins Serbia-Montenegro benefited by bad calls at the end of the game, it's a huge upset. When Greece wins France or when Spain wins Croatia, under similar circumstances... it's a bounty rebelion.

Well, let's say a ref's calls CORRECTLY make Shaq foul out in a Game 7 against Toronto or Atlanta, and the Heat lose that series.

Now imagine Game 7 of the NBA Finals, Spurs vs. Lakers/Knicks, a Spurs player drives to the hoop, where he is clearly fouled (more than once) by a Laker. No call by the ref, even when the foul was obvious to everyone, except him. I'm not in favour of conspiracy theories, but that was one of the worst no calls in the history of basketball, along with the 1972 Olympics final.

I can see that many fans have demential hard feelings and lunatic hatery toward the proud back to back World champions (yes, I gues all know who we are), because we ware more succesfull then most of them.

Thanks for the GREAT generation of players that gave us so much, and I know they would give us more, but we ware banned from three tournaments.

This information will cause a nervious break down to some of you, for which I feel sorry :), but there is nothing politic, religious, "statement" wise, irregular, conspirating, or similar in winning in sports.

As the time goes, the demential jelous hatery toward our Serbian and Montengrin basketball team remains, only the crazy pretenders change, and I REALLY cant even remember them all :lol.

Nice defensive posture there, huh...talk about paranoid illusions. Let me tell you the truth here: yes, we are all involved in a conspiracy to destroy Serbia and Montenegro because we hate them, you almighty gods of basketball. Oh, wait, why are you naming Yugoslavian achievements as Serbian only? Aren't you forgetting Croatians, Slovenians, Macedonians and Bosnians there?

Anyway, I hope we meet again...with or without Manu, put Serbian refs this time if you want.

http://www.basket-plus.com/Atina%202004/Atina2004-slike/Ginobili_pobedonosni_kos.jpg
:flipoff

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
09-27-2005, 07:14 PM
And before you posted, no one said a word about Serbia. It was a discussion more on the general state of things at FIBA rather than Serbia, so who's mental about it?

Kamnik
09-28-2005, 04:38 AM
I dont like Croatians (im from Slovenia) but as i saw all of their games in the EC (including the one with Spain) they deserve to get that wild card more than anyone!

They played great and they have loads of talent and heart on their team.

Screw Serbia if they cant even get to the quarter finals with a bunch of superstars from Europe and NBA.

Italy and Croatia from Europe if you ask me.

orhe
09-28-2005, 04:53 AM
man FIBA SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they suspended our team (philippines) from entering the Asian Leg of the qualifiers

THEY SUCK

i believe our team would have gotten first or second place on that tourney mannn....

they suspended us because there's a dispute between two bodies on who should be spearheading basketball... BUT COME ON!! SUSPENDING OUR TEAM? FUCK YOU FIBA!

Slo spurs fan
09-28-2005, 05:12 AM

they suspended our team (philippines) from entering the Asian Leg of the qualifiers

THEY SUCK

i believe our team would have gotten first or second place on that tourney mannn....

they suspended us because there's a dispute between two bodies on who should be spearheading basketball... BUT COME ON!! SUSPENDING OUR TEAM? FUCK YOU FIBA!

Man that really sucks.

Solid D
09-28-2005, 09:40 AM
Croatia totally deserves to be in Japan in 2006. From what the press is saying, Vujcic and Giricek have sworn-off ever competing in a FIBA event again because of the poor officiating and rip-off against Spain. Tim Duncan has already done so based on his comments about FIBA after the Olympics.

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1086

Check out last article at bottom of the page on the link below.
Also check out (cannot cut and paste) the Fernandez's article and comments (1/3 of the way down the page) about Tony Parker's immature actions and statements regarding his NT's personnel decisions.
http://draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1087

ata
09-28-2005, 09:53 AM
Why would S&M deserved to be on WC 2006?

EC 2003 - 6 th
OG 2004 - 11th
EC 2005 - 11 th (9-12)

S&M goes down, big time! Who cares what they done few years ago? Currently than play bad bball!

On WC should go Croatia (7th) and Russia (8th), fuck the rest, they couldn't qualified! More luck next time.

zeleni
09-28-2005, 10:15 AM
I think Korea, Croatia, Serbia&Montenegro, Puerto Rico

Korea: Japan automatically qualified

Croatia: They hardly recuperated from the catastrophy

Serbia: Well, f*** them! They made an ass of themselves. And still have more NBA quality then most of teams with wild card aspirations.

Puerto Rico: Talent and teamwork.

Others:
Italy: Veterans sucked versus Croatia. Pozecco was he only living thing on the floor last minute or so.

Canada: Why? They weren't that good if they lost to panUSA team.

Russia: Big market but a lot of growing up to do. There is no team with an American making a big role for himself that cannot be bought or manipulated. They would be designated to lose.

Turkey: Hell! No way!

zeleni
09-28-2005, 10:27 AM
I dont like Croatians (im from Slovenia)

This is not an argument.

This would be like: I hate Canada. I'm from USA. It is just strange.

cmurek
09-28-2005, 04:10 PM
Isralel, Palestina, Chechnya and Russia!

nkdlunch
09-28-2005, 04:16 PM

EC 2003 - 6 th
OG 2004 - 11th
EC 2005 - 11 th (9-12)

S&M goes down, big time! Who cares what they done few years ago? Currently than play bad bball!

On WC should go Croatia (7th) and Russia (8th), fuck the rest, they couldn't qualified! More luck next time.

thank you! S&M hasn't done jack lately. their basketball dominance is crumbling like the USA's

Many other teams deserve to be in it. And yes, FIBA is as or more corrupt than FIFA

Solid D
09-28-2005, 04:53 PM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/23/237968.jpg

"Watch out for the Japan NT in 2006.
They have some surprise plays.
No offense to the orientals." - Bill Parcells

dunkman
09-28-2005, 06:44 PM
I'm pretty sure that back to back World champions couldn't care less about if FIBA gives us some "invitations" to defend our titles.

If they wan't us to play there, we will accept.

If not, it's ok.

dunkman
09-28-2005, 07:33 PM
And before you posted, no one said a word about Serbia. It was a discussion more on the general state of things at FIBA rather than Serbia, so who's mental about it?
Don't make me laugh so much. You are posting a picture, where Argentina at the peak of their powers, wins our rebuilding team by 1 point with a desperate three point shot. Big deal... please send more pathetic smilies...

In absense of good arguments, only insults and lies can do the trick for you.

Your team would never win team USA without help from the refs. Duncan was completly indigned and he said he wasn't going to play in FIBA tournament again. Marbury broke Oberto's hand as retaliation. But they do had dignity and didn't wined much about.

As our team succesfully rebuilds, we WILL win Argentina in the next tournament, even if the refs foul out half of our team, not necesarily because we may be better overall, but because IMHO we have your number.

The refs at the 2002 Worlds finals ware 1 from Dominican Republic, 1 from Greece. One from Americas, one from Europe. At least, get your demented hard feeling facts right.

Serbia and Montenegro (then, check this very carefully, Yugoslavia) was the better team. At the end some polemic, but the refs didn't decided the result. Serbia and Montengro outplayed your team in the over time, which some can't swallow.

Manu would not have make the difference, because Oberto, that played well in regular time, wouldn't get touches. Manu was good, could be, but nothing extraordinary in 2002.

dunkman
09-28-2005, 08:10 PM
I think Korea, Croatia, Serbia&Montenegro, Russia

Korea: Japan automatically qualified

Croatia: They hardly recuperated from the catastrophy

Serbia: Well, f*** them! They made an ass of themselves. And still have more NBA quality then most of teams with wild card aspirations.

Puerto Rico: Talent and teamwork.

Others:
Italy: Veterans sucked versus Croatia. Pozecco was he only living thing on the floor last minute or so.

Canada: Why? They weren't that good if they lost to panUSA team.

Russia: Big market but a lot of growing up to do. There is no team with an American making a big role for himself that cannot be bought or manipulated. They would be designated to lose.

Turkey: Hell! No way!
You are such a fag. What do you think that entitles you to speak that way about my country NT? If I'm not wrong, your team peak achievement is a 6-th place at EC.

Our team has 3 Euro and 2 Worlds titles in the past 10 years.

cmurek
09-29-2005, 02:31 AM
Yes yes :rolleyes You sucked 3 champs in a row dude!!! This means that your team is not so good as you speak! If this was the first time to suck, ok, give them another chance with invitation, they have a bad weak, but 3 times in a row shows that S&M do not deserve a wild card at all!!! They were not even close to the ranks which automaticly gives you a spot on a next competition!

History is past, face it!

orhe
09-29-2005, 05:08 AM
as to dunkman's statement of them having argentina's number... LOL geez what about that stupid non call at the worlds 2 years ago...?????

zeleni
09-29-2005, 05:40 AM
You are such a fag. What do you think that entitles you to speak that way about my country NT? If I'm not wrong, your team peak achievement is a 6-th place at EC.

Our team has 3 Euro and 2 Worlds titles in the past 10 years.

I actually support Obradovic and Serbia. I even gave you a thumbs up for the wild card. Dunkman, you MUST understand: Slovenia is pathetic for slow learning of what means to play team basketball in NT's. Serbia and Montenegro are pathetic, couse they do not want to play team basketball in the NT. Slovenia ceased to be pathetic and got their lesson. You pimplebrains just started to learn your way again.

Divac was your entire brain of the game, now you got only balls. If I were a fag, I would respect that :blah , but I do not. I want you to drop even lower, so I am giving this wild :drunk card. Why? I would really want to watch SCG:Slovenia. For sadistic reasons: In basketball there are no ties... ;) :king

WalterBenitez
09-29-2005, 09:42 AM

:depressed

okey Dunkman, I RESPECT S&M's Bball!!!

Those who watched Drazen P, Bodiroga and hundred of players coming from there ... for sure will respect you.

but ... you'll have to accept this fact, when a weak team plays against S&M everyone (:D) supports the weak team. :blah

Even that, a WC wouldn't be a WC without S&M, USA, RUSSIA and some others countries ... :angel

So ... the fucking wildcards must go to YOU, because of the tradition and history.

Finally believe me that defeating S&M for the 1st time was great ... and I enjoyed it. :lmao

WalterBenitez
09-29-2005, 09:46 AM

more info? why did they do that?

WalterBenitez
09-29-2005, 09:49 AM

EC 2003 - 6 th
OG 2004 - 11th
EC 2005 - 11 th (9-12)

IMO, because of history ... and because if they dont put those prima dona players, they are really good; perhaps they didn't win on court rights to be there, but since FIBA is inviting some teams ... they deserved.

cheguevara
09-29-2005, 10:27 AM
Don't make me laugh so much. You are posting a picture, where Argentina at the peak of their powers, wins our rebuilding team by 1 point with a desperate three point shot. Big deal... please send more pathetic smilies...

In absense of good arguments, only insults and lies can do the trick for you.

Your team would never win team USA without help from the refs. Duncan was completly indigned and he said he wasn't going to play in FIBA tournament again. Marbury broke Oberto's hand as retaliation. But they do had dignity and didn't wined much about.

As our team succesfully rebuilds, we WILL win Argentina in the next tournament, even if the refs foul out half of our team, not necesarily because we may be better overall, but because IMHO we have your number.

The refs at the 2002 Worlds finals ware 1 from Dominican Republic, 1 from Greece. One from Americas, one from Europe. At least, get your demented hard feeling facts right.

Serbia and Montenegro (then, check this very carefully, Yugoslavia) was the better team. At the end some polemic, but the refs didn't decided the result. Serbia and Montengro outplayed your team in the over time, which some can't swallow.

Manu would not have make the difference, because Oberto, that played well in regular time, wouldn't get touches. Manu was good, could be, but nothing extraordinary in 2002.

Don't cry for me S&M...

http://www.quickserv.cc/images/crybaby.jpg

Kobayagi
09-30-2005, 12:22 PM
The latest FIBA rankings (after Eurobasket):

1. USA 832.2
2. YUG* 708.0
3. ARG 700.0
4. LTU 460.0
5. ESP 439.0
6. ITA 433.0
7. RUS 362.0
8. GRE 304.0
9. AUS 279.0
10. FRA 273.0
11. PUR 247.6
12. CAN 231.0
13. GER 227.0
14. BRA 203.0
15. CHN 197.0
16. NZL 178.0
17. ANG 156.0
18. TUR 129.0
19. CRO 125.0
20. VEN 99.6
21. NGR 80.8
22. SLO 71.0
23. KOR 62.0
23. ISR 62.0
25. JPN 50.0
26. DOM 43.8
27. ALG 36.0
28. SEN 35.8
29. LIB 35.1
30. URU 34.4
31. EGY 34.0
32. LAT 33.0
33. QAT 31.2
34. PAN 29.6
35. MEX 25.6
36. BIH 20.0
37. ISV 16.8
38. IRI 14.2
39. UKR 14.0
40. SYR 10.8
41. TUN 10.6
42. TPE 10.5
43. MAR 9.0
43. KSA 9.0
45. KUW 8.1
46. CIV 7.8
47. CAF 7.6
48. UZB 7.5
49. CUB 7.2
50. CZE 7.0
50. MLI 7.0
50. MOZ 7.0
53. IND 6.6
54. RSA 6.2
55. MAS 6.1
56. MKD 6.0
56. HKG 6.0
56. BUL 6.0
59. UAE 5.4
60. EST 5.0
60. HUN 5.0
62. GUM 4.0
63. PHI 3.6
63. KAZ 3.6
65. THA 3.3
66. SWE 3.0
66. POR 3.0
66. CAL 3.0
69. JOR 2.7
70. BRN 2.1
71. CPV 2.0
71. GAB 2.0
73. SIN 1.5
74. MAD 1.4

Unlisted Countries are ranked
75th

* FIBA is using the country name "Yugoslavia" for historical reasons. During the cycle FIBA uses to calculate the ranking, it was Yugoslavia and Serbia & Montenegro that participated in the FIBA competitions.

After the EuroBasket 2005 as well as the conclusion of all continental championships in 2005 and the FIBA U21 World Championship in Argentina, FIBA has issued its new ranking for men’s national teams.

The United States of America is still the uncontested No 1 after their fourth place at this year’s FIBA Americas Championship in Santa Domingo, Dominican Republic.

The big winners are European champions Greece, who made a jump to 8th position, and European Vice-champion Germany, who moved up to 13th position. Lithuania and Spain profited from the early exit of Olympic silver medalist Italy, who dropped to 6th position.

Defending World Champion Yugoslavia* managed to keep the 2nd position after their disappointing EuroBasket campaign, but the margin to Olympic champions Argentina has decreased to only 8 points.

FIBA uses the performance of teams in all official FIBA World Championships in the senior and youth categories, Olympic Games and Continental Championships to calculate the ranking for each team in an eight year cycle.

angel_luv
09-30-2005, 12:31 PM
How far did Slovenia jump in the standings after their success this year?

Kobayagi
09-30-2005, 12:37 PM
How far did Slovenia jump in the standings after their success this year?

I have no idea where we were before Eurobasket :spin

angel_luv
09-30-2005, 12:38 PM
I have no idea where we were before Eurobasket :spin

Well, at least we know where we'll be next summer. :spin

Kobayagi
11-26-2005, 09:02 AM
Rumours say that Puerto Rico is definitely going to get one, probably Serbia&Montenegro too because they are defending champs and it would be ridiculous if they couldn't defend the title, Turkey because they host the 2010 world championships and Italy because they (together with Germany) have signed some kind of agreement with FIBA guaranteeing them a place in the championships in case they wouldn't qualify.

Everything I said in this post 2 months ago came true. The invitations have been "awarded" to the above mentioned four teams.

I know you guys couldn't care less about FIBA world championships at this stage of the year but I posted this just in case anyone is interested. :fro

Kobayagi
11-26-2005, 09:11 AM
The "official" FIBA explanations for giving wild cards are:

Italy - because they won the silver in the last Olympics
Turkey - because they host the next WC
Serbia & Montenegro - because they are the reigning champs
Puerto Rico - because America's got the least number of teams in the WC

velik_m
11-26-2005, 09:58 AM
s&m and puerto rico - ok i get it
italy - they got lucky with that silver, besides they are changing the team - they will suck, but i guess i can live with that...
but TURKEY??? at least take Russia or Croatia...

well at least it's not S. Korea

spurschick
01-03-2006, 07:59 PM
bump... came across this article and figured it belonged here

FIBA: ARG - Big guns committed to Argentina cause - Hernandez
http://www.noticias.info/asp/aspComunicados.asp?nid=132593&src=0

/noticias.info/ If Argentina's basketball fans fear their four-strong NBA contingent may skip the FIBA World Championship 2006, they need not worry.

National team coach Sergio Hernandez fully expects All-Star Emanuel Ginobili and his San Antonio Spurs team-mate Fabricio Oberto, along with Chicago Bull Andres Nocioni and Detroit Piston Carlos Delfino to play in Japan this summer.

All four contributed to the team's gold medal run at the Athens Games and will be crucial for the country's medal chances in the 24-team FIBA World Championship in the Far East.

The quartet were given the summer off in 2005, when a weakened Argentina still reached the final of the FIBA Americas Championship and finished runners-up to Brazil.

"I'm in permanent contact with all of them and I can affirm they want to play in the World Championship," Hernandez said.

"They always tell me they want revenge (for the overtime defeat against Yugoslavia in 2002)."

Argentina nearly won in Indianapolis in regulation time and felt they were cruelly denied a late foul on Hugo Sconochini as the veteran was knocked to the ground on a drive to the basket in the final seconds.

Yugoslavia then claimed an 84-77 triumph in the extra period.

Future bright for Argentina

Once Ginobili, Oberto and other veterans do retire from the national side, Hernandez is convinced the team will hardly miss a beat.

"The base of the pyramid is wide and we demonstrated this year (2005) that we have lots of players who are ready to compete at a high level.

"Argentina have nowadays more than 200 players around Europe and four in the NBA, so I think the the national team's future is assured."

The FIBA World Championship draw will take place on January 15 at the New Takanawa Prince Hotel in Tokyo, and Hernandez plans to attend.

Argentina's football coach, Jose Pekerman, heard a few jibes after not showing up for the World Cup Draw on December 9.

Hernandez joked: "I will attend that event, especially after all the criticism Pekerman received for being absent at the draw in Germany."

velik_m
01-04-2006, 02:55 AM
when is the draw for groups in WC? i want to know whose buts we will kick :)

kolko
01-04-2006, 10:02 AM
when is the draw for groups in WC? i want to know whose buts we will kick :)

January 15th.

SLOVENIAN 8
01-04-2006, 10:42 AM
The latest FIBA rankings (after Eurobasket):

1. USA 832.2
2. YUG* 708.0
3. ARG 700.0
4. LTU 460.0
5. ESP 439.0
6. ITA 433.0
7. RUS 362.0
8. GRE 304.0
9. AUS 279.0
10. FRA 273.0
11. PUR 247.6
12. CAN 231.0
13. GER 227.0
14. BRA 203.0
15. CHN 197.0
16. NZL 178.0
17. ANG 156.0
18. TUR 129.0
19. CRO 125.0
20. VEN 99.6
21. NGR 80.8
22. SLO 71.0
23. KOR 62.0
23. ISR 62.0
25. JPN 50.0
26. DOM 43.8

This rankings are totaly bullshit... :lol

velik_m
01-04-2006, 10:45 AM
January 15th.

thanks, i knew it was in January, just didn't know the exact date.

SLOVENIAN 8
01-04-2006, 10:50 AM
http://www.fiba2006.com/event/event_e.html

Dario
01-04-2006, 11:34 AM
Ye they are bullshit.
Imagine all usa teams ranked together from all leagues and the teams from lower leagues would get same ranking points for every win as NBA teams.
FIBA sux

angel_luv
01-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Americas:
Argentina :D :elephant
Brazil
Venezuela
USA-who is going?
Panama

Oceania:
Australia
New Zealand Sean going?

Europe:
Greece
Germany I'd like to see them do decently but not win.
France Same
Spain
Lithuania
Slovenia :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant

+4 invitations from FIBA.

Some teams that failed to qualify and could get any of those wild cards:
I'd like to see them go.
Serbia & Montenegro
Turkey

And I guess the other two could be
Croatia
Russia

Is Israel's team any good?

Dario
01-04-2006, 02:05 PM
I m guessing italy would have better chance then russia, croatia deserves to get invitation since the refs blow them out, but they wont get it.

smeagol
01-04-2006, 02:13 PM
I can hear the uproar: "Manu is playing over the summer again, he will be tired, blah, blah, blah . . ."

spurschick
01-04-2006, 02:24 PM
I can hear the uproar: "Manu is playing over the summer again, he will be tired, blah, blah, blah . . ."

:lol It appears that we need him to play as much as possible. Time off has not worked in his favor.

velik_m
01-04-2006, 04:46 PM
I m guessing italy would have better chance then russia, croatia deserves to get invitation since the refs blow them out, but they wont get it.

the wild cards have gone out long time ago:
s&m
italy
turkey
puerto rico

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
05-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Bump. Can't wait for this, need vendetta, I'm bloodthirsty!

Bring on Germany! Nocioni and Wolkowisky will teach Dirk* a lesson!

*=And maybe Tony too