PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Home Court

DMC
02-28-2016, 09:33 PM
The top 3 teams in the NBA (record wise) have a combined home record of 78-5 and of course the 3rd place team (Cleveland) has the 5 losses. 4th place Eastern team has only 6 home losses. This is the beginning of March, a month or so from the playoffs. How can any other team look at that and think they have a chance to go anywhere in the playoffs?

Of course, it's a new season then, and shit happens, but that seems to scream out "shitty competition" or "Home cooking". Why such a start contrast? Two teams with 14 losses on the road, none at home.

Remember when Denver would have a sub .500 road record and have like 2 home losses this time of year because players couldn't take the O2 levels?

02-28-2016, 09:52 PM
Officiating affects the NBA much more than any other sport and I'm not sure if there's a way to fix it.

baseline bum
02-28-2016, 10:24 PM
Remember when Denver would have a sub .500 road record and have like 2 home losses this time of year because players couldn't take the O2 levels?

That's because they were all on coke in the 1980s tbh

DMC
02-28-2016, 10:38 PM
Officiating affects the NBA much more than any other sport and I'm not sure if there's a way to fix it.

I think traveling affects how well players play games. As highly paid as they are, a lot of them aren't professional enough in their daily lives to navigate the travel in a way that prevents a drop off on the road. They don't sleep, they go out, they make excuses for whatever. Then back home they're living at home, and they travel to the arena the day of the game. There's also the crowd factor. Some players need that crowd support (especially role guys) to perform. You'd think that the luxury travel accommodations create a much friendlier environment than the typical traveling professional gets. Even so, sleeping in hotels, even really nice ones, has a lot of drawbacks.

I don't know if the officiating changes, it might. I guess officials can be swayed by crowd reaction. How many missed calls do road teams suffer vs home teams?

I just think it's an indicator of how piss poor the rest of the league is. Guys don't care to bring it on the road, they just chill and let whatever happens happen. As long as they get paid. Then they turn it up at home in front of season ticket holders. Coaches are part of this as well. You have some who will rest guys on the road but play them at home (probably for the same reasons as stated above).

The Spurs, for instance, have zero home losses and 9 on the road. Last year they were slightly above .500 on the road with 19 losses but only had 8 home losses.

UNT Eagles 2016
02-29-2016, 06:49 AM
That's because they were all on coke in the 1980s tbh
I think he meant like only a few years ago. I think it was literally that way in 2013, Nuggets lost 3 home games all year but didn't have a super high seed because of their ghastly road record iirc.

DMC
02-29-2016, 10:21 AM
I think he meant like only a few years ago. I think it was literally that way in 2013, Nuggets lost 3 home games all year but didn't have a super high seed because of their ghastly road record iirc.

Yes. In 2011 the bottom 4 playoff seeds had losing road records. The 5th seeded Nuggets had 24 road loses but only 8 home losses.

UNT Eagles 2016
02-29-2016, 12:00 PM
Yes. In 2011 the bottom 4 playoff seeds had losing road records. The 5th seeded Nuggets had 24 road loses but only 8 home losses.
& that was far from the only year

remember the Boozer/D-Will Jazz who would consistently place in the top 5-6 or so out West with a losing road road and a .750 or better home record.