PDA

View Full Version : Ian Mahinmi..

HarlemHeat37
02-29-2016, 10:41 AM
Most posters on the forum were big fans of his potential back in the "dark days" of the Spurs(2008-2010)..we would get frustrated with the lack of commitment towards him, especially with the lack of alternatives in the front court..to be fair, he didn't take full advantage of the opportunities when given to him, though..

With that being said, even as a fan, I'm very surprised that he has become as good as he is, this year..it could be a fluke year, as it's a little late to magically become a new player(29 years old), but he has been the 2nd best player(when healthy) on a playoff team, this season, and a legit MIP candidate(although McCollum has it locked)..

17 PER, 61% TS, great on/off numbers..similar numbers to what Tim has been doing IIRC

He still has trouble with fouling and staying healthy..

Anybody else surprised by the year he's having? Or do you believe it's an anomalous season?

Chinook
02-29-2016, 10:54 AM
He's been working on his game for a while. So a lot of it is just his improvement. But he's also really benefiting from the new style of play the Pacers are running with. When PG was the PF, you had that 1-in system that works great for finishing bigs. He's also in a contract year, and that can never be discounted, especially since this should be the most important contract of his career.

ceperez
02-29-2016, 10:56 AM
He always had the athleticism, he just could never figure it out. I guess with age and responsibility, you finally do figure it out.

houston spurs fan
02-29-2016, 11:27 AM
Needs to be in the NBA forum.

Mel_13
02-29-2016, 11:32 AM
He's got excellent timing. Having your best season in a contract year while heading into a summer when the cap explodes is brilliant. Hard to believe, but we're likely to see Ian Mahinmi get an 8 figure salary this summer. Talk about your genetic lottery winners.

Brazil
02-29-2016, 11:59 AM
Ian got an opportunity to break the starting 5 of Pacers and all the merit for him to have been able to take advantage of that. He did not change drastically at 29 y/o from his Spurs years tbh, he is just a player that can't get going with spot minutes here and there and feels more comfortable with steady minutes every game and the trust of the coach. Pacers and him have been "lucky" to figure that out but they deserve also praise to work on his fools trouble issues. I think Pop has not been patient enough, we know he hates giving opponents easy FTs, that's probably one specific drawback of a player that he cannot stand tbh

Now we will see if he can keep up and be consistent in this role which I personnally doubt, time will tell tho.

All in all, Ian is a good guy, very coachable, likeable... I'm happy for him.

Kawhitstorm
02-29-2016, 01:12 PM
He's basically on a similar career path as Brandan Wright except he wasn't a lotto pick. They are both slightly built centers who get in foul trouble although Wright is offense minded while Ian is on the floor for his defense.

Like I've been saying, if Ian's season isn't a fluke then he can play an Ezeli type role on a contender. If Tim retires & West doesn't opt-out then PATFO can go after Ian. (He can come off the bench with Boris while West starts: put an end to the Turd Towers!:bang)

Pau suck on defense outside of rim protection so I'm not sure he's a good fit with LMA & Noah is a diva so I'm not sure he's willing to come off the bench.

HarlemHeat37
02-29-2016, 01:16 PM
Does Ian still have a relationship with the Spurs?(I assume he does with Tony and Diaw)

I think I remember seeing pictures of him working out with some Spurs during the off-season a few years ago, but I could be mistaken..

Old School 44
02-29-2016, 01:17 PM
Yep, count me in as a fan of Mahinmi's potential while he was here. I never really understood why imo he didn't seem to get the time to develop here. There have been worse players with far less potential occupying the Spurs bench. During those years, when it looked as if Tim's wheels were about to fall off, I thought a young, athletic, defensive minded center like Mahinmi was exactly what the Spurs and Tim needed. Instead, if I remember correctly, the Spurs trotted out the likes of an undersized DeJuan Blair and old guys like Antonio McDyess and Kurt Thomas.

In any event, good for Ian. Seems like a good guy. I hope his success and development continues.

HarlemHeat37
02-29-2016, 01:18 PM
:lol I remember a game, I think it was against the Nets in 2010, where Ian had a break out game..it was after the Spurs didn't pick up his option for next season IIRC

The forum exploded..he didn't play in the next game, which led to a subsequent meltdown:lol

Back in the "Mahinmi and Hairston" savior days..the desperation to replace Keith Bogans, Kurt Thomas and Finley..

Mel_13
02-29-2016, 01:19 PM
Does Ian still have a relationship with the Spurs?(I assume he does with Tony and Diaw)

I think I remember seeing pictures of him working out with some Spurs during the off-season a few years ago, but I could be mistaken..

Summer 2013:

http://i0.wp.com/gamedayr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/roy-hibbert-tim-duncan-giant.jpg?resize=597%2C550

HarlemHeat37
02-29-2016, 01:20 PM
Summer 2013:

http://i0.wp.com/gamedayr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/roy-hibbert-tim-duncan-giant.jpg?resize=597%2C550

Good find, that's the picture I was thinking of IIRC

Kawhitstorm
02-29-2016, 01:24 PM
Summer 2013:

Sign BOTH Hibby/Ian:wow if both Tim/Boban bolt.

RD2191
02-29-2016, 01:28 PM
Needs to be in the NBA forum.

Stfu faggot. Why don't you find another forum to fag up?

apalisoc_9
02-29-2016, 01:41 PM

:lmao

Maddog
02-29-2016, 01:46 PM
Ian got an opportunity to break the starting 5 of Pacers and all the merit for him to have been able to take advantage of that. He did not change drastically at 29 y/o from his Spurs years tbh, he is just a player that can't get going with spot minutes here and there and feels more comfortable with steady minutes every game and the trust of the coach. Pacers and him have been "lucky" to figure that out but they deserve also praise to work on his fools trouble issues. I think Pop has not been patient enough, we know he hates giving opponents easy FTs, that's probably one specific drawback of a player that he cannot stand tbh

Now we will see if he can keep up and be consistent in this role which I personnally doubt, time will tell tho.

All in all, Ian is a good guy, very coachable, likeable... I'm happy for him.

I think he was well liked by the Spurs.
I always thought they should have been more patient with him, however it's taken him 6 years post Spurs to get where he is today.
He has definitely improved his foul rate. This year he is at 4.5/36 minutes,his lowest by far.
As far as next year- I'm always hesitant about players having a good year in a contract year.

Kawhitstorm
02-29-2016, 01:56 PM
I'm always hesitant about players having a good year in a contract year.

That's why you get Hibbert as an insurance:rolleyes

spurraider21
02-29-2016, 02:02 PM
Sign BOTH Hibby/Ian:wow if both Tim/Boban bolt.
i'd rather have bonner back than bring hibbert aboard

TheDoctor
02-29-2016, 02:13 PM
i'd rather have bonner back than bring hibbert aboard

Said no one ever.

wildbill2u
02-29-2016, 02:16 PM
We have a young guy in Austin, Youssou Ndoye, that is 7'0 250 lbs. and is getting some really good numbers in limited time. A project like Mahinmi, but already better and stronger than Mahinimi was at this age. (24) Actually they have some other interesting players up there.

Brazil
02-29-2016, 02:19 PM

Yes Tony, Boris and the staff of FNT are staying in touch with him obviously so Spurs have direct info if they want to. On top of that Ian has good relations with George Hill and we know George H still hang around with Spurs players... so yeah he is in Spurs sphere of influence let's say

K...
I hear Beni udrih is available. Does that deserve its own thread?

Brazil

:lol

spurraider21
02-29-2016, 02:33 PM
i don't know, ian looks like he's in good shape

Chinook
02-29-2016, 02:36 PM
Summer 2013:

I wonder who that guy that looks like Bosh's mini-me is.

SpursforSix
02-29-2016, 02:38 PM
I hear Beni udrih is available. Does that deserve its own thread?

LOL. I was in the middle of starting one until I saw the injury part.

houston spurs fan
02-29-2016, 04:38 PM
A little ironic coming from the poster regarded as a legend around here for sucking cock...

will_spurs
02-29-2016, 04:58 PM
I really think he suffered from the inconsistency of the playing time he got. The dark era was also the time when Pop was infatuated with TOSBs and wouldn't play young players "just because" (remember what happened to Splitter?) I never thought Mahinmi got a fair shot at showing what he could do. Also winning a ring with 2011 was obviously a huge confidence boost for him. Of course his role was minor but he did his job well and received praise from Cuban and some teammates for the one game where he really was a difference maker. That's always nice when you're in doubt.

MultiTroll
02-29-2016, 05:54 PM
BonBon stayed while others like Ian got moved. :downspin:

dabom
02-29-2016, 05:57 PM
Said no one ever.

:lol

dabom
02-29-2016, 05:58 PM
This guy is a scrub. Next.