PDA

View Full Version : Andre Miller and T-Mac was brought in for the same reason...

apalisoc_9
03-01-2016, 10:59 PM
Recall an interview three years ago where some coach said T-Mac and Kawhi worked extensivley together in practice, almost every practuce.

The spurs are legit bringing in players to train their younger guns.

coachmac87
03-01-2016, 11:29 PM
Fail.

honestfool84
03-01-2016, 11:30 PM
Lol.

SAGirl
03-02-2016, 03:01 AM
Recall an interview three years ago where some coach said T-Mac and Kawhi worked extensivley together in practice, almost every practuce.

For sure. I suspect this is the case and it's part of Pop's MO. I mean Kawhi and Lamarcus are not going to carry a straight up group of washed up veterans with our own veterans who are playing well but cant give you heavy doses of minutes and may not be here into next season. Maybe they are here 1 more season, but you can't take them for granted, and fail to plan for their retirement.

At some point Pop had to develop guys and he knows it. Younger players he develops personally have better chances to become something than players left abroad. Foreign prospects are a gamble. Even low draft picks are a gamble, but as Pop showed with G.Hill, CoJo, Kawhi, Danny etc., younger players that he invests his own personal time (and the SA spurs coaching staff time) developing have better chances to realize their full potential than any player of similar age picked up around the league (See Ray Mc, Jimmer, Ayers, Daye etc). Part of that is that Pop doesn't spend more than 2 seasons on a young guy who has no upside, but beyond that, players that Pop develops, you know they can contribute and drafted young guys can give you 4 cheap years... 4, that is huge. It allowed Spurs to pick up LMA the fact they had Kawhi for cheap so long, retain Tiago, etc. Cojo was a nice player too, specially his 3rd and 4th years.

Cheap guys around the league are a huge gamble and probably have less upside than young guys Pop has developed himself because he has a high standard... and once you sign them they take up a roster spot and money... which is why I understand Pop preferring vets, but your entire team cannot be old vets over 30 honestly. Bobo and Tony will be 34 next season. We are getting too old unless Pop developed some guys IMO... so yea I agree with you.

Maybe some are not so high on Anderson or Simmons (I have my doubts on Simmons as many others, he's older in a physical prime at 26, will be 27 next season, but he's in a cheap contract and he's got some upside, he was worth a gamble, and can be a nice partner for Anderson in the bench, as Anderson needs cutters and other guys to push the tempo bc he's not going to do it by himself... as he is yes, slow).. they are a nice tandem once Anderson develops. He has to be the key though as Simmons by himself is not going to get it done.

The younger guys have to develop because you are not filling up the roster with everything else in free agency, and not expect to end up with duds like Ayers and Daye on the cheap. Home grown guys you actually know really well, they are the best investment.

daslicer
03-02-2016, 03:05 AM
I'm actually hoping that Andre can help Kyle Anderson's game.

cutewizard
03-02-2016, 04:47 AM
If Kyle learns to post up, then we have a full blown point forward.....

he will post when necessary

but will pass you dizzy if you are negligent in defense

cutewizard
03-02-2016, 04:48 AM
Kyle Anderson ========= THE PAUL PRESSEY OF the SPURRRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

cutewizard
03-02-2016, 04:49 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Pressey

tmtcsc
03-02-2016, 08:40 AM
T-Mac was awful. He couldn't throw it in the ocean.

ceperez
03-02-2016, 10:50 AM
For sure. I suspect this is the case and it's part of Pop's MO. I mean Kawhi and Lamarcus are not going to carry a straight up group of washed up veterans with our own veterans who are playing well but cant give you heavy doses of minutes and may not be here into next season. Maybe they are here 1 more season, but you can't take them for granted, and fail to plan for their retirement.

At some point Pop had to develop guys and he knows it. Younger players he develops personally have better chances to become something than players left abroad. Foreign prospects are a gamble. Even low draft picks are a gamble, but as Pop showed with G.Hill, CoJo, Kawhi, Danny etc., younger players that he invests his own personal time (and the SA spurs coaching staff time) developing have better chances to realize their full potential than any player of similar age picked up around the league (See Ray Mc, Jimmer, Ayers, Daye etc). Part of that is that Pop doesn't spend more than 2 seasons on a young guy who has no upside, but beyond that, players that Pop develops, you know they can contribute and drafted young guys can give you 4 cheap years... 4, that is huge. It allowed Spurs to pick up LMA the fact they had Kawhi for cheap so long, retain Tiago, etc. Cojo was a nice player too, specially his 3rd and 4th years.

Cheap guys around the league are a huge gamble and probably have less upside than young guys Pop has developed himself because he has a high standard... and once you sign them they take up a roster spot and money... which is why I understand Pop preferring vets, but your entire team cannot be old vets over 30 honestly. Bobo and Tony will be 34 next season. We are getting too old unless Pop developed some guys IMO... so yea I agree with you.

Maybe some are not so high on Anderson or Simmons (I have my doubts on Simmons as many others, he's older in a physical prime at 26, will be 27 next season, but he's in a cheap contract and he's got some upside, he was worth a gamble, and can be a nice partner for Anderson in the bench, as Anderson needs cutters and other guys to push the tempo bc he's not going to do it by himself... as he is yes, slow).. they are a nice tandem once Anderson develops. He has to be the key though as Simmons by himself is not going to get it done.

The younger guys have to develop because you are not filling up the roster with everything else in free agency, and not expect to end up with duds like Ayers and Daye on the cheap. Home grown guys you actually know really well, they are the best investment.

Look around the league, teams are realizing that in-house development pays bigger dividends than signing expensive free agents. Look at the Nets as an example of a disaster of hiring free agents.

Even Spurs have spent an arm and a leg to pick up Aldridge, only to find out that he still needs a way to go to get to elite level. The lucky ones are the Cavs and previously the Heat who had Lebron come to town at a discount. That usually does not happen.

SupremeGuy
03-02-2016, 11:10 AM
I'm actually hoping that Andre can help Kyle Anderson's game.This.

cutewizard
03-02-2016, 11:11 AM
LMA is elite NOW

houston spurs fan
03-02-2016, 11:18 AM

Tito Boy whiffs again.

Proxy
03-02-2016, 11:22 AM
don't think this is the same at all. If teams are running at TP and Patty, then Andre is going to see the court outside of garbage time, unlike T-Mac. I'm thinking this due to RC's comments. Didn't bring him in just for practice.

Whether or not he ends up being of use is another conversation. What other moves could the FO make? May as well sign him. Ray didn't have the tools to be of meaningful use it seems.

Trueblood
03-02-2016, 11:26 AM
Who would he be training? Parker and Mills are both established so the only one left was Ray and we dropped him.

SsKSpurs21
03-02-2016, 11:33 AM
I also think part of it is rallying around a vet to get a ring. Spurs have done that in the past with David/Avery, Kevin Willis, Michael Finley, Brent Barry.

Rob123
03-02-2016, 12:55 PM
ya'll are fucking retarded. OP is this most retarded of the bunch but this post is spot on and I agree with him. If you thought from the beginning that Andre Miller was here to play a big part in the championship run you're playing checkers and Pop is playing Chess.

Just because Patty and Tony are established doesn't mean they cant pick up new tricks from one of the best passing point guards in recent memory. Additionally Kiwi is expanding his passing ability so Andre Miller will be able to rub off on him as well. Having a coachable vet at the end of the bench who knows a thing or two about basketball is so crucial to these young guys.

This signing was legit great, anyone who disagrees is a complete idiot.

tonight...you
03-02-2016, 03:14 PM
ya'll are fucking retarded. OP is this most retarded of the bunch but this post is spot on and I agree with him. If you thought from the beginning that Andre Miller was here to play a big part in the championship run you're playing checkers and Pop is playing Chess.

Just because Patty and Tony are established doesn't mean they cant pick up new tricks from one of the best passing point guards in recent memory. Additionally Kiwi is expanding his passing ability so Andre Miller will be able to rub off on him as well. Having a coachable vet at the end of the bench who knows a thing or two about basketball is so crucial to these young guys.

This signing was legit great, anyone who disagrees is a complete idiot.
I'm playing Eldritch Horror and it's pretty badass for a board game...

tmtcsc
03-02-2016, 03:23 PM
I believe Miller is going to get more playing time than people think - especially in the next 2 games. With Miller on the floor, it frees up Patty to shoot more and worry less about distributing the ball.