PDA

View Full Version : Pop Interview

coachmac87
03-02-2016, 09:57 AM
San Antonio Spurs: Coach Popovich: Practice 3/1
http://yi.nzc.am/ErdiH

Pop catches himself about talking about a player from another team. Mentions "tampering".. Find it interesting mentions the player being somebody he always wanted to get his hands on. Not sure if he was referring to Kevin Martin? Or maybe another player.

Fireball
03-02-2016, 10:02 AM
Did he not mean a player who now is on the team? So I guess he meant David West.

I laughed when he said those Andre Miller post ups will rather go to Aldridge ... Apo getting a stroke :lol

coachmac87
03-02-2016, 10:11 AM
Pop referring to signing Andre after watching him over the years.

"He's kind of like. I guess I can't say it because he's on another team and it would be I guess tampering. But yeah he's one of those players you say to yourself boy I know I'd figure a way to fit him in"

Pop already gearing up for Durant :lol

Fireball
03-02-2016, 10:20 AM
alright, then I misunderstood that part ...

ceperez
03-02-2016, 01:52 PM
Pop referring to signing Andre after watching him over the years.

"He's kind of like. I guess I can't say it because he's on another team and it would be I guess tampering. But yeah he's one of those players you say to yourself boy I know I'd figure a way to fit him in"

Pop already gearing up for Durant :lol

I'm intrigued.... who else is like Andre Miller?

SAGirl
03-02-2016, 02:31 PM
He just meant that he always admired A.Miller, maybe even coveted him for his roster and thought he wasn't being used well by some teams.

TheDoctor
03-02-2016, 02:35 PM
I'm intrigued.... who else is like Andre Miller?

For some reason I thought of Chris Paul but we got Parker already so. It gotta be another player.

coachmac87
03-02-2016, 02:38 PM
For some reason I thought of Chris Paul but we got Parker already so. It gotta be another player.

This was the first thing that popped in my mind too..

coachmac87
03-02-2016, 02:42 PM
He just meant that he always admired A.Miller, maybe even coveted him for his roster and thought he wasn't being used well by some teams.

This has nothing to do with him almost "tampering" about speaking about another player under contract with another team...

coachmac87
03-02-2016, 02:49 PM
But with Pop even bringing up "tampering" makes me think it has to be Durant..which would cause a shit storm due to his possible free agency this summer...

Chinook
03-02-2016, 03:05 PM
But with Pop even bringing up "tampering" makes me think it has to be Durant..which would cause a shit storm due to his possible free agency this summer...

I think the comment you quoted was ALL about Miller. The "I guess I can't say it because he's on another team and it would be I guess tampering", is referring to the reasons why he never mentioned Miller before. But you're right that it could refer to a number of players, most of whom probably aren't going to be in the free-agent class. Like could have been thinking of Kobe or Dirk.

Spurs aren't going after Durant. They might go after Blake or Paul in 2017, but I don't see them swinging for the fences this summer, as they would have to let go of even more core players. Last year was anomalous given Green and Leonard's cap holds.

apalisoc_9
03-02-2016, 03:08 PM
Pop is a huge fan of John wall...not that the spurs would ever get john wall.

apalisoc_9
03-02-2016, 03:09 PM
Hed be a free agent at 2019...kawhi would be 27-28 then and thats pops last year.

coachmac87
03-02-2016, 03:11 PM
I think the comment you quoted was ALL about Miller. The "I guess I can't say it because he's on another team and it would be I guess tampering", is referring to the reasons why he never mentioned Miller before. But you're right that it could refer to a number of players, most of whom probably aren't going to be in the free-agent class. Like could have been thinking of Kobe or Dirk.

Spurs aren't going after Durant. They might go after Blake or Paul in 2017, but I don't see them swinging for the fences this summer, as they would have to let go of even more core players. Last year was anomalous given Green and Leonard's cap holds.

Or maybe he was referring to Martin but wasn't bought out yet? You have to watch the video and you'll know he's referring to somebody other than Miller.

Chinook
03-02-2016, 03:12 PM
Hed be a free agent at 2019...kawhi would be 27-28 then and thats pops last year.

Not to mention that Parker would be on his final contract most likely and possibly coming off the bench at 37. Depending on what happens in 2017, you could see another Big Three form.

coachmac87
03-02-2016, 03:13 PM
Pop is a huge fan of John wall...not that the spurs would ever get john wall.

What makes you say that? I haven't heard Pop give Wall praise at all...

coachmac87
03-02-2016, 03:15 PM
Not to mention that Parker would be on his final contract most likely and possibly coming off the bench at 37. Depending on what happens in 2017, you could see another Big Three form.

Whenever Durant becomes available..Spurs MUST be a player. I don't care what it takes they gotta get a meeting with him.

Chinook
03-02-2016, 03:20 PM
Or maybe he was referring to Martin but wasn't bought out yet? You have to watch the video and you'll know he's referring to somebody other than Miller.

You're correct. I watched the video, and he was definitely talking about someone else. And it could have been Martin, though I also think it was likely a random good player who's not particularly interesting.

Chinook
03-02-2016, 03:22 PM
Whenever Durant becomes available..Spurs MUST be a player. I don't care what it takes they gotta get a meeting with him.

If they purposefully took themselves out of the Lebron sweepstakes in 2010, they aren't going to bend over backwards for Durant. In 2017, they should have depth and cap space. That'll make chasing free agents much more possible than moving Mills, Diaw and Green, letting Boban and West walk and bringing over no rookie would.

tonight...you
03-02-2016, 03:29 PM
You're correct. I watched the video, and he was definitely talking about someone else. And it could have been Martin, though I also think it was likely a random good player who's not particularly interesting.
I can't watch the vid where I'm at. For a bit of context: was he asked a specific question that elicited his response?

Chinook
03-02-2016, 03:31 PM
I can't watch the vid where I'm at. For a bit of context: was he asked a specific question that elicited his response?

Yes. It was essentially, 'Was Miller a guy you coveted for a love time and thought about how he would fit into your system?'

Pop was like, 'Yeah, it's the same thing with ... can't say it because tampering.'

apalisoc_9
03-02-2016, 03:31 PM
What makes you say that? I haven't heard Pop give Wall praise at all...

Exactly

coachmac87
03-02-2016, 03:35 PM

"Was Andre one of those guys you watched over the years and say man if one day we could ever make that work?"

tonight...you
03-02-2016, 03:35 PM
Yes. It was essentially, 'Was Miller a guy you coveted for a love time and thought about how he would fit into your system?'

Pop was like, 'Yeah, it's the same thing with ... can't say it because tampering.'
Ah... Thank you!

tonight...you
03-02-2016, 03:36 PM
"Was Andre one of those guys you watched over the years and say man if one day we could ever make that work?"
Thank you also, coach.

tonight...you
03-02-2016, 03:37 PM
Exactly
https://media.giphy.com/media/9jMLe8vieKvLO/giphy.gif

SAGirl
03-02-2016, 03:57 PM
This has nothing to do with him almost "tampering" about speaking about another player under contract with another team...
You were right since I could not load the video I missed the context.

It's impossible to know, but it could be anybody and I am guessing it has to be a younger player that looks nothing like a star right now bc of his comment that if they knew how to use him that player would be much better.

Since we are all about speculating on this one, I will give you my wild guess: it's D'angelo Russell. He's looked like a bust but can anyone honestly say the Lakers have done a good job showcasing him or developing him. He's been 19 yrs old and torched the Spurs every time we have met. I read the Spurs did their due diligence prior to last year's draft and RC went to see him in person. Guys exactly the type of mold of young player who doesn't look like much but they would like. Was a tremendous passer and shooter :/ college and he's still so young. Athleticism? Bleh! Spurs like high IQ guys.

So there you have it my guess is as good as anyone's.:lol

tonight...you
03-02-2016, 04:05 PM
You were right since I could not load the video I missed the context.

It's impossible to know, but it could be anybody and I am guessing it has to be a younger player that looks nothing like a star right now bc of his comment that if they knew how to use him that player would be much better.

Since we are all about speculating on this one, I will give you my wild guess: it's D'angelo Russell. He's looked like a bust but can anyone honestly say the Lakers have done a good job showcasing him or developing him. He's been 19 yrs old and torched the Spurs every time we have met. I read the Spurs did their due diligence prior to last year's draft and RC went to see him in person. Guys exactly the type of mold of young player who doesn't look like much but they would like. Was a tremendous passer and shooter :/ college and he's still so young. Athleticism? Bleh! Spurs like high IQ guys.

So there you have it my guess is as good as anyone's.:lol
Honestly- I don't think he has had the time to watch Russell play this season at depth. He's stated repeatedly that he doesn't even scout teams during the RS because there's no time so I doubt he's talking about him.
I think he's talking about someone that's been in the league for a bit and someone he's been paying attention to for at least a few years.

My 2 pennies...

SAGirl
03-02-2016, 04:20 PM
Honestly- I don't think he has had the time to watch Russell play this season at depth. He's stated repeatedly that he doesn't even scout teams during the RS because there's no time so I doubt he's talking about him.
I think he's talking about someone that's been in the league for a bit and someone he's been paying attention to for at least a few years.

My 2 pennies...
Every time we have played the Lakers Russell has given our PG fits. Belive me. One game Green was benched as Russell was going off on Ray and Danny was loosing him on screens (and Kobe, who torched Ray). It was an early season game Tony sat. POP even tried Anderson on Russ for a few minutes. Few will remember that game but I watched it twice as I was interested in seeing Pop's experiments with Anderson and it was one of the few games Pop did have Anderson as PG outside of garbage time. Every time we have played the Lakers since then it's been a close game for most of it and Russell has done his thing. Games they could in fact have won had they not been tanking.

I just remember that RC went to see Dangelo play in the NCAA in person. It was rumored that they like him. I think they still do, the Lakers atrocity has probably made Pop think they are not figuring Dangelo well.

Again my 2 cents too.

tonight...you
03-02-2016, 04:22 PM
Every time we have played the Lakers Russell has given our PG fits. Belive me. One game Green was benched as Russell was going off on Ray and Danny was loosing him on screens (and Kobe, who torched Ray). It was an early season game Tony sat. POP even tried Anderson on Russ for a few minutes. Few will remember that game but I watched it twice as I was interested in seeing Pop's experiments with Anderson and it was one of the few games Pop did have Anderson as PG outside of garbage time. Every time we have played the Lakers it's been a close game for most of it. Games they could in fact have won had they not been tanking.

I just remember that RC went to see Dangelo play in the NCAA in person. It was rumored that they like him. I think they still do, the Lakers atrocity has probably made Pop think they are not figuring Dangelo well.

Again my 2 cents too.
Hmm... You're counterpoint is convincing me. Pop does like players that succeed against him and his team.
Your guess holds weight. Now I need to start thinking of one...

Mel_13
03-02-2016, 04:35 PM
I'm convinced he was about to mention Martin and stopped short.

ceperez
03-02-2016, 04:51 PM

I agree, it would have been someone he had in mind at the moment and the similarity with Miller is that he's from the same team and not necessarily the same playing style.

SAGirl
03-02-2016, 05:01 PM
It would make sense but at the same time it doesn't. Why would it be tampering if he's now a free agent. He's no longer committed to any team right?

Though my wild guess is very wild it could be anyone but a Martin comment would not exactly be tampering right this second. I might be wrong.

KenziE
03-02-2016, 05:16 PM
It would make sense but at the same time it doesn't. Why would it be tampering if he's now a free agent. He's no longer committed to any team right?

Though my wild guess is very wild it could be anyone but a Martin comment would not exactly be tampering right this second. I might be wrong.

I think Pop made the comment before Martin was bought out iirc

pgardn
03-02-2016, 05:37 PM
Can we get a link up that works for all?

I would really like a listen.

Mel_13
03-02-2016, 05:43 PM
I think Pop made the comment before Martin was bought out iirc

Yep. That interview was after yesterday's practice.

Mel_13
03-02-2016, 05:43 PM
Can we get a link up that works for all?

I would really like a listen.

Just go to spurs.com and click the video tab.