PDA

View Full Version : New Manu Article 3/2/2016

ElNono
03-02-2016, 11:59 PM
I should be back playing sometime next week
by Manu Ginobili

SAN ANTONIO.- The most important thing is that I'm feeling a lot better, without any pain. I'm not as cautious as I was before. It would happen, for example, that if I had my kids near me, I would be afraid that they would accidentally hit me in the surgery's area. Fortunately, that fear is no longer there. The doctor gave me the all clear a month after the injury and surgery, and all I have to do now is push the boundaries more and more. And, above all, see how I feel after a full day of activity, how does the body responds. I have to do things carefully because it's a complex area, where any part of the abdomen can cause trouble. If I run the first day, I have to see how I react, and the same thing after jumping. If I run faster or play a one on one, same thing. Everything with care, but the good news is that I have the all clear.

Now I have to get strong, and I need to be in top physical shape, something that it's harder to do when you're 38 and a half than when you are 25, so I'm working on that. But I'm definitely well, I already had some practice time, and slowly I'm adding some intensity to it. Now we have to see when does the Spurs medical staff clears me for playing. I've been talking with Pop and we didn't set a date. We're going to continue watching my evolution during each practice. If I have a weightlifting session or running session, I know I have notice afterwards how does my body reacts. The doctor said I should have a day off every three days for now, to rest, and slowly increase my workout. All that said, if everything continues to improve as it has, I think I should be back playing sometime next week.

I've been watching to team during this "Rodeo Road Trip" and truth be told that 7-1 record, all on the road, it's not easy to achieve. There were some doubts after coming back from the All-Star break, and the two games in Los Angeles were poor, but sometimes that happens, because you're back from seven days off, you lose your rhythm and that can affect you. Some teams react one way and some teams a different way. That's when I thought the team was missing some of the stuff I do, being a key component in the Spurs engine, but I quickly noticed that Kawhi was missing too. Then, I noticed it wasn't me that was missing... but Kawhi! The guy the team was missing was really him. When Leonard came back, the machine was roaring again and he had three excellent games. It was definitely him.

In general, the team played better. It's undeniable that when Kawhi is on the court the team defense is much more efficient. The first two games Tim (Duncan) wasn't feeling well, he was sick and that in turn made the team defense suffer, because he's such a natural part of what we do on that end. But with Kawhi and Tim healthy, the team was back to being the usual team. This is normal throughout 82 games, because of injuries, drops in production or whatever else, every team goes through ups and downs. But I repeat, a 7-1 record in a long road trip is great. The difference against Oklahoma City went up a couple of games, I think we're up 8 games ahead of them, and that also gives you a very important cushion. Especially since the second half of March and April are going to be really complicated.

All that lead gives you a certain margin of error, to try out some player, to rest. At a personal level, because of my situation, it allows me to return more slowly, without having to rush anything. I don't know, if after the first couple of games I feel some sort of tension in the area or pain, I can sit out a game. The team's performance gives us that kind of luxuries. There's no rush. Same with Tim and his knee. Or anybody else. This situation gives us a solid footing compared to other teams that are fighting to get into the playoffs and don't have the advantage that we have. It's very important to have that kind of flexibility at the end of the season.

And without a doubt while we were doing all this road trip stuff, Curry and his Warriors were still smashing records. I watched the end of their game against Oklahoma City, because it finished after ours (vs Houston), and it was such an amazing game. Great to watch, a great game. There's not a lot of them during the regular season and it was a pleasure to watch that one. Games like that consolidate what a great moment Curry is having individually, and also the entire team. It's pretty crazy and besides of who won the game, it was a game to enjoy and I did.

We also have some news, because we have a new teammate (Andre Miller). It was honestly surprising because we weren't expecting any changes at this time of the season. But this guy has enormous experience, understands the game, knows how to make plays and definitely pass first. And defensively, he understands how to defense a guard, but also a wing, if that's what the team needs. So I think Pop is just adding some insurance in case something happens. You never know. And Miller is a player with 16 seasons in the league, very experienced, that has played for all kinds of teams and that could give us some minutes in important situations. He's been here for a few days, and we're going to help him adapt to the team, because the point guard position is where you need to know the plays the most and especially understand what the coach wants. We're going to help him out. But I insist, it's not that we need a savior, he's just somebody that could help us in specific moments. We're all excited with all that's happening around the team.

---

Original in Spanish here:
http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1876135-en-algun-momento-de-la-proxima-semana-deberia-estar-volviendo

loveforthegame
03-03-2016, 12:03 AM
Good stuff. Thanks. :tu

Mugen
03-03-2016, 12:11 AM
Thx fatso

dabom
03-03-2016, 12:12 AM
Of course Kawhi is the man defensively. Some of ya fools don't know shit. :lol

Anyways we are in great position this year. Health wise. LMA and Kawhi shouldering the load for the old guys.

gambit1990
03-03-2016, 12:45 AM
thanks for the translation.

ginobili is the most articulate nba player i know of.

kaji157
03-03-2016, 08:27 AM
thanks for the translation.

ginobili is the most articulate nba player i know of.
LOL true, and ironically he is one of the few who doesnīt have a university degree.
Thatīs because he is truly educated and cares for writing and reading.

I really liked the part about Kawhi, seems like he is encouraging him a lot to push himself even harder and lead the team.

BillMc
03-03-2016, 09:07 AM
Cheers, thanks for posting.

daledondale
03-03-2016, 09:10 AM
Really nice article, as always. Thanks nono.

Brazil
03-03-2016, 09:26 AM
Thanks mate ! good read

EVAY
03-03-2016, 10:06 AM
Thanks for translation as always. Manu was also on TV in an interview last night before the game and said that they were taking it slowly with his recovery, checking every day after he works out and making sure that he is good before he tries anything else. I'm just thrilled that he is coming back.

And Manu always gives credit to other players - when both Tim and Kawhi were out the defense was wretched.

Hope Manu comes back as healthy as he was before the injury and plays with the same intensity as always.

turb0time
03-03-2016, 10:23 AM
Gracias senor!

TheDoctor
03-03-2016, 11:22 AM
Thnx NoNo! Nice read :toast

ElNono
03-03-2016, 12:15 PM
:toast

SAGirl
03-03-2016, 02:52 PM
Nice to hear Manu is doing so well and getting stronger.

He can afford to take it easy bc we are doing so well in the standings and he can take the time his body needs.
:toast

silverblackfan
03-03-2016, 04:21 PM
Great news straight from the pen of Manu. Thanks for the excellent translation again, ElNono.

Robz4000
03-03-2016, 04:27 PM
If the doctor gave him the all clear why isn't he on the court yet? What a selfish cancerous player!

Old School 44
03-03-2016, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the translation. Looking forward to seeing Manu back on the court.

I've said this before, but I really think NBA/ESPN/TNT folks should be looking for an international player as a studio/color guy and I believe Manu, when he retires, would be perfect. Not sure if he has any interest though.

MultiTroll
03-03-2016, 05:53 PM
From where Manu was -cheapshot injury- to today...
Great news!

ceperez
03-03-2016, 06:12 PM
Great analysis as always by Manu.

Not looking good for him though. It is unclear if he'll be ready come playoff time.

ElNono
03-03-2016, 07:26 PM
If the doctor gave him the all clear why isn't he on the court yet? What a selfish cancerous player!

Mexicants and their paid vacations, tbh...

spurs10
03-03-2016, 09:22 PM
Muchisimas gracias ElNono!

Capster
03-03-2016, 09:56 PM
Great news! Missed you hugely man! Get back in the game!��