PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING: Bonner will be waived

Splits
03-04-2016, 10:31 PM
My sources inside the Raptors and other organizations are telling me Bonner will be gone by Sunday

Spurs9
03-04-2016, 10:37 PM
:cry

cjw
03-04-2016, 10:38 PM
Doubt these sources exist, but you better be right

hooperflash
03-04-2016, 10:39 PM
Mr. Bonner broke the news to me at a nearby H-E-B Plus. We were in the bakery section where he was analyzing how fresh their bread really was. He seemed happy, must be expecting another role within the organization, I dunno ... shouldve asked.

cjw
03-04-2016, 10:41 PM
Russ Johnson via Twitter:

The Spurs are deciding between Rasual Butler and Matt Bonner on who to waive, a league source said. Butler is more likely to be waived soon.

td4mvp2k
03-04-2016, 10:45 PM
Mr. Bonner broke the news to me at a nearby H-E-B Plus. We were in the bakery section where he was analyzing how fresh their bread really was. He seemed happy, must be expecting another role within the organization, I dunno ... shouldve asked.

:lol

LoneStarState'sPride
03-04-2016, 10:45 PM

The Spurs are deciding between Rasual Butler and Matt Bonner on who to waive, a league source said. Butler is more likely to be waived soon.

Much love for Coach B, but I'd rather have Lee Daniels' on the floor than him.

T Park
03-04-2016, 10:47 PM
I'll put money on it being Rasual Butler

Ice009
03-04-2016, 10:57 PM
That would be a dog of a move waiving Butler. He's contributed everything he can this season for the Spurs when he's gotten a chance, and Bonner has contributed nothing this season. Bonner wasn't any good last season either. This is getting a bit silly if they're still going to keep him on the roster.

If he could still contribute in a potential playoff game or series, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I'm not sure Bonner has anything of value left to give the Spurs. What do you guys think? It's all about the playoffs to me and who the Spurs think would contribute more. That's the guy that you keep.

DMC
03-04-2016, 10:57 PM
Did he drop any molasses?

Budkin
03-04-2016, 11:09 PM
If it's not Bonner I'm going to scream. Yeah we all know he's a great guy, but enough is enough.

cjw
03-04-2016, 11:11 PM
That would be a dog of a move waiving Butler. He's contributed everything he can this season for the Spurs when he's gotten a chance, and Bonner has contributed nothing this season. Bonner wasn't any good last season either. This is getting a bit silly if they're still going to keep him on the roster.

If he could still contribute in a potential playoff game or series, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I'm not sure Bonner has anything of value left to give the Spurs. What do you guys think? It's all about the playoffs to me and who the Spurs think would contribute more. That's the guy that you keep.

This exactly. IF this was Bonner from a few years ago you could use in spot duty to pull plodding bigs out of the paint. But these days, he's got no use on the playoff roster.

Cutting Butler would send the wrong message to future vets who sign here for a ring and bust their ass, only to get cut for a longtime Spur way past his prime.

dbreiden83080
03-04-2016, 11:53 PM
Who'll handout the towels during timeouts now?

Mel_13
03-04-2016, 11:54 PM

You do realize that Russ is just TSpence with more followers.

Aztecfan03
03-05-2016, 12:00 AM
Fuck you Splits. Getting my hopes up.

hater
03-05-2016, 12:01 AM
:lmao what kind of idiot would believe Butler will be waived before Boner :lol

noles1983
03-05-2016, 12:02 AM
bonner has been collecting free checks for too long

Biernutz
03-05-2016, 12:08 AM
I really like Matt but he has hardly played this year. Simmons has taken Bonners minutes and Butler
has played more lately than Matt. Its stated that Matt has a on again off again calf problem but
I think it was just a matter of time till the numbers caught up with fan favorite Matt. Good
luck to Matt , I hear Subway has a opening for a spokesman.

hater
03-05-2016, 12:11 AM
What the duck I didn't know we landed Kevin martin!!

Such an unspursesque move still to waive a guy lime Rasual.

This is probably coming back to haunt it's. Bad bad move

SAGirl
03-05-2016, 12:41 AM

I don't want to see Butler waived. I like Simmons but he hasn't played, nor is he going to with K.Mart here. If the Spurs are still high on his potential they will keep him but he's not ready for the postseason. He's looked like doggie dodo when asked to play as a real SG. He's 26. Athleticism is all there is to it really. I definitely do not want Butler gone. I may whine for a while every time Martin messes up defensively. Butler has been too solid.

Wahhhh, wahhh. :pctoss :cry

Ice009
03-05-2016, 12:50 AM
Yeah, I agree with the take on Simmons. I've seen enough to realize that he probably won't be able to get any court time in the playoffs. His contract is so cheap though and great value. Another team will pick him up if he's waived. You just can't let him go without giving him more of a chance next season to see if he can grow more. Butler was the guy that I was expecting to get all of Simmons' minutes in the playoffs and possibly some of Anderson's too. Butler has given the Spurs everything he can anytime that he's been given a chance. I really don't want to see him go either. I know balance with big men and guards wouldn't be there if they waived Bonner, but I just don't think Bonner has anything left, so I think he should be the one to be waived.

hater
03-05-2016, 12:54 AM
Agree. If anyone should be waived besides the ginger faggot. It's Simmons. He's too one dimensional and gets torched on D.

Butler is the truth and he's long

spurtech09
03-05-2016, 01:41 AM

The Spurs are deciding between Rasual Butler and Matt Bonner on who to waive, a league source said. Butler is more likely to be waived soon.No brainer....Matt Bonner

hooperflash
03-05-2016, 01:56 AM
Did he drop any molasses?

Funny, because I did mention to him that a lot of Spurs fans have spotted several members on the team in that aisle. He replied that it was on Kyle's grocery list this season, tbh.

Chris
03-05-2016, 02:02 AM
If it's not Bonner I'm going to scream. Yeah we all know he's a great guy, but enough is enough.

I agree, Butler has been terrific this season

spurs10
03-05-2016, 02:21 AM
Did he drop any molasses? Well I happened to be at the HEB at the same time and saw Bonner talking to someone, who I presume was FlashZo. Bonner backs away from his shopping cart and says "from way downtown' and he shoots what I later learn was a large jar of molasses at the cart and misses. It was a in a glass jar so it shattered all over the floor. I went and told someone and shortly heard over the loud speaker "clean up on aisle 3, clean up on aisle 3!"

Indazone
03-05-2016, 02:22 AM
Goodbye Red Rocket

spurs10
03-05-2016, 02:22 AM
Funny, because I did mention to him that a lot of Spurs fans have spotted several members on the team in that aisle. He replied that it was on Kyle's grocery list this season, tbh. Yeah I heard you say that.

hooperflash
03-05-2016, 02:43 AM
Yeah I heard you say that.

"... and you were there."
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e7/be/1b/e7be1be29a27cbd4855a1dc527b3e16c.jpg

Sean Cagney
03-05-2016, 02:49 AM

If he could still contribute in a potential playoff game or series, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I'm not sure Bonner has anything of value left to give the Spurs. What do you guys think? It's all about the playoffs to me and who the Spurs think would contribute more. That's the guy that you keep.I dont get it at all, he is done now but for some reason they never get rid of the guy.

Arcadian
03-05-2016, 04:34 AM
Butler has actually put in some good work this season. There's no reason to cut him. Bonner should do the right thing and retire.

Bellboy
03-05-2016, 08:31 AM
I've got my calculator charged up to count thread pages just in case
RC and Pop waive Boban to keep Bonner.

Solid D
03-05-2016, 08:47 AM
Come on Splits. Did you really need the attention that badly?

Old School 44
03-05-2016, 08:53 AM
Bonner's a Spur. The qualities that kept him on the roster all this time, are the same qualities that will lead him to make the right decision for the team. (I know it's not really his decision) Bonner's a smart guy, a team player. I'm sure he knows where the roster spot for Martin needs to come from.

TheDoctor
03-05-2016, 08:57 AM
Fuck Bonner.

tholdren
03-05-2016, 08:58 AM
Matt Bonner should have never played a minute in the nba. Cut and move on. Should have happened years ago

will_spurs
03-05-2016, 09:09 AM
I should never have been allowed to make one post on this forum.

Fixed.

littlecoyotecoin
03-05-2016, 09:22 AM
I don't want to see Butler waived. I like Simmons but he hasn't played, nor is he going to with K.Mart here. If the Spurs are still high on his potential they will keep him but he's not ready for the postseason. He's looked like doggie dodo when asked to play as a real SG. He's 26. Athleticism is all there is to it really. I definitely do not want Butler gone. I may whine for a while every time Martin messes up defensively. Butler has been too solid.

Wahhhh, wahhh. :pctoss :cry

It's sad, but true. We really could have used either his or McCallum's young legs defensively on opposing guards. Hopefully, a long shot, they can continue to get him coached up defensively to be of some use. He's our only guard under 30 and taller than 6 feet. (Excepting Danny, sorry...)

tholdren
03-05-2016, 09:27 AM
Fixed.
killer avatar and sig

ducks
03-05-2016, 09:28 AM
His injury could be worse and he could be just a coach

Proxy
03-05-2016, 10:20 AM
hilarious that people hate Bonner... it's like, they never realized what a 3-point shooting center did for the offense. I mean... was it not that adjustment to put him in the starting lineup that helped the team in the previous playoff runs?

He's been great, sucks to see so many people hate on him. Definitely should be the one to get cut though. Hopefully he stays with the team on the sideline, like people are predicting.

SPURt
03-05-2016, 10:20 AM
Do y'all think this is getting confirmed by today's game?

cjw
03-05-2016, 10:48 AM
I've got my calculator charged up to count thread pages just in case
RC and Pop waive Boban to keep Bonner.

Could be very unpopular around here, but if Spurs think Boban has plateaued / league has figured him out, and don't think he'll get playoff minutes, AND don't plan on using any of MLE to sign him this offseason when someone gives him an offer sheet, then he could be the odd man out.

I'd actually put him being gone at a higher likelihood than Simmons. Chances are still 65% Butler / 30% Bonner / 5% other

peacemaker885
03-05-2016, 10:56 AM
hilarious that people hate Bonner... it's like, they never realized what a 3-point shooting center did for the offense. I mean... was it not that adjustment to put him in the starting lineup that helped the team in the previous playoff runs?

He's been great, sucks to see so many people hate on him. Definitely should be the one to get cut though. Hopefully he stays with the team on the sideline, like people are predicting.

Posters here do not represent the majority of Spurs fans who appreciate every player. Red Rocket is a lifetime Spurs.

BillMc
03-05-2016, 11:03 AM
Red Rocket is a lifetime Spurs.

Agreed.

Gagnrath
03-05-2016, 11:13 AM
Posters here do not represent the majority of Spurs fans who appreciate every player. Red Rocket is a lifetime Spurs.

The "Red Rocket" was actually a Toronto thing.... He started his career there. Matty played in 160 games there in two years and was actually a pretty notable piece of their team. Let's not act like he is a spurs only idea.

DocDoc
03-05-2016, 11:17 AM
Wondering if Bonner starts tonight, gets waived after game, moves to front office tomorrow.

Solid D
03-05-2016, 11:21 AM
An all-timer. Ranks 14th in NBA career 3-PT FG % all-time.

Laughing Gravy
03-05-2016, 11:25 AM
Get to steppin ranga! Never understood the love for Bonner. And why does he get the "good guy" tag? Because he's a soft white nerd who wont dare start shit? Would see him at the gym i trained at regularly and he was reall standoffish, bit of a dick.

SouthernFried
03-05-2016, 11:26 AM

We need 3 point shooters. Bonner can do that. Bonner also spreads the floor, since a big usually guards him, he can draw them outside on Offense. Yeah, I've never liked his D that much. His "happy feet" really is a liability. But, a big that can shoot 3's. We need more 3's.

SAGirl
03-05-2016, 11:32 AM
It's sad, but true. We really could have used either his or McCallum's young legs defensively on opposing guards. Hopefully, a long shot, they can continue to get him coached up defensively to be of some use. He's our only guard under 30 and taller than 6 feet. (Excepting Danny, sorry...)

Kmart will take his minutes and Manu will start rounding into form too. I am starting to think the 4th wing spot will remain situational in the plAyoffs, not only matchup but who is hot, who is playing well and whether you need defense.

jermaine
03-05-2016, 11:34 AM
I love me some Bonner... He is an will always be my "Brotha from anotha motha"!!!

Keepin' it real
03-05-2016, 11:53 AM
We need 3 point shooters. Bonner can do that.

Not in the playoffs he can't. Worst choker ever.

tholdren
03-05-2016, 12:32 PM
An all-timer. Ranks 14th in NBA career 3-PT FG % all-time.
In crap minutes. Bonner is a wet fart in the playoffs. Spur for life? He's a coach favorite, a good character guy, but a waste of a roster spot.

tholdren
03-05-2016, 12:35 PM
We need 3 point shooters. Bonner can do that. Bonner also spreads the floor, since a big usually guards him, he can draw them outside on Offense. Yeah, I've never liked his D that much. His "happy feet" really is a liability. But, a big that can shoot 3's. We need more 3's.
Not really 3's but more reliable scoring. Spurs need a player like Martin to shoot it, and a player like simmons to attack the rim.

cjw
03-05-2016, 12:40 PM
A few thoughts:

1.) Maybe holding back news of release until Martin passes his physical. Don't want a Sixers/Joel Anthony/DMo situation

2.) If not 1, if they were letting go of Butler over Bonner no matter what, I imagine it would have already happened. Why let the situation linger.

3.) Butler has gotten lots of minutes over past few games. Perhaps seeing what he has in the tank / can bring to the table with various units.

4.) My guess is they asked Bonner to retire or that he'd be cut, and are waiting till after tonight's game. Give him one more home game - he may even start with Timmy, Parker, Kawhi (and I'd say Manu if he weren't coming back from his busted ball - he'll get ovation at the 6 minute mark of 1st Q)

And those complaining about having "old" bodies around instead of Ray, etc. to chase young perimeter guys, it also takes skills to navigate defensively on the floor and not get lost. I trust Miller, Butler, etc. a heck of a lot more despite having less athleticism than even Simmons.

Dverde
03-05-2016, 12:40 PM
I imagine he will fill the void left by Marks. As they shuffle folks around to fill Mark's spot, there should be an opening at the bottom now.

Solid D
03-05-2016, 12:42 PM
In crap minutes. Bonner is a wet fart in the playoffs. Spur for life? He's a coach favorite, a good character guy, but a waste of a roster spot.

I'm in favor of moving Matt to a staff/FO slot and keeping Butler. Butler offers more than Matt can offer on the court now, no question.

With that said, Matt has been a big contributor to the Spurs' success the past decade (started 8 playoff games when they really needed it). You're being ridiculous.

BillMc
03-05-2016, 12:48 PM
I'm in favor of moving Matt to a staff/FO slot and keeping Butler. Butler offers more than Matt can offer on the court now, no question.

With that said, Matt has been a big contributor to the Spurs' success the past decade (started 8 playoff games when they really needed it). You're being ridiculous.

Exactly. Bonner changed that series by starting against OKC in 2014. It may have been a placebo effect, but OKC had to respect his shot and it pulled Ibaka away from the paint. When your 5th big can affect the WCF without making a shot, then he's worth a place on the bench. ST somehow thinks all players should be All-Stars.

I've already gone on record saying I think we should keep Butler over Bonner. But if this the end for Matty he's been a good teammate, an amusing interview, a complete pro and Spurs fans should wish him nothing but the best.

tholdren
03-05-2016, 12:55 PM

absolutely not being ridiculous. Started 8 games when "they really needed it?" what the hell? He started 5 of those games in 2009 first round when dallas beat the shit out of SA 4-1. He was literally the worst player on the court at all times. In that series - remember one of those games the spurs scored 67 points in a game - Bonner shot 21% FG and 23% from 3.

He blows. To deny that, you're literally giving away any rep you had during your 22k posts. Jesus. Starting a playoff game doesn't mean he's worth anything. Further, not shipping his ass out of SA after that 5 game performance was a drop by the FO.

will_spurs
03-05-2016, 12:57 PM
How could anybody hate on Bonner is beyond me.

The only issue I had with him was that Pop forced him to play ~20 mpg during the Dark Ages, and then again it's on Pop, it wasn't even Bonner's fault as he isn't the kind of guy to complain that he isn't starting or that he isn't getting enough minutes.

Bonner was a pioneer of the stretch 4 position, a great roleplayer, an amazing teammate, a guy who had "gotten over himself" even before he arrived, a really funny guy with a sense of self-derision (Red Mamba, Coach B, sandwich blog and so on), a fan favorite...

Sadly he's the 16th guy on a team with serious championships aspirations.

BillMc
03-05-2016, 12:58 PM

The only issue I had with him was that Pop forced him to play ~20 mpg during the Dark Ages, and then again it's on Pop, it wasn't even Bonner's fault as he isn't the kind of guy to complain that he isn't starting or that he isn't getting enough minutes.

Bonner was a pioneer of the stretch 4 position, a great roleplayer, an amazing teammate, a guy who had "gotten over himself" even before he arrived, a really funny guy with a sense of self-derision (Red Mamba, Coach B, sandwich blog and so on), a fan favorite...

Sadly he's the 16th guy on a team with serious championships aspirations.

This.

lmbebo
03-05-2016, 01:02 PM
can we rename this title, very misleading. Just hope from the misguided OP

Floyd Pacquiao
03-05-2016, 01:11 PM
Didn't Matt start game 6 at okc? :lol

ceperez
03-05-2016, 01:17 PM
Exactly. Bonner changed that series by starting against OKC in 2014. It may have been a placebo effect, but OKC had to respect his shot and it pulled Ibaka away from the paint. When your 5th big can affect the WCF without making a shot, then he's worth a place on the bench. ST somehow thinks all players should be All-Stars.

I've already gone on record saying I think we should keep Butler over Bonner. But if this the end for Matty he's been a good teammate, an amusing interview, a complete pro and Spurs fans should wish him nothing but the best.

I agree. He spaced the floor against OKC when Spurs needed it.

In the new small ball NBA you need mobile paint protectors. Butler is mobile and can space the floor.

Arcadian
03-05-2016, 01:45 PM

It's more of a displaced hate, really. The idea of him taking up a valuable roster spot is preposterous at this point. You're right, it's not his fault, but...he exists, and it's time for him to go.

Maddog
03-05-2016, 01:53 PM
It's more of a displaced hate, really. The idea of him taking up a valuable roster spot is preposterous at this point. You're right, it's not his fault, but...he exists, and it's time for him to go.

A valuable roster spot indeed,
Does everyone realize we are debating about two guys that have played less 700 minutes combined in 61 games?