PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: How hard is it to win back to back titles?

KobeOwnsDuncan
03-05-2016, 09:20 AM
That's the theory. It's also the reality. Repeating is really hard.

For instance, the greatest active coach, Gregg Popovich has NEVER repeated. Not even close. In five tries, the Spurs got to the 1st round (2015), WCF (2008), 2nd round (2006), 2nd round (2003), and 1st round (1999). This means of course the exact same is true for Tim Duncan, plus Tony Parker and Manu Ginobelli. The Bird-McHale-Parish Celticsnever repeated. The Julius Erving and Moses Malone (RIP)*76ersnever repeated.*Magic*Johnson, only repeated once. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, only one repeat. In the legendary 80's with Bird, Magic and Dr. J fighting it out, repeating was unheard of. In 1986, Coach*Pat Riley guaranteed a repeat*and pulled it off. The Kareem-MagicLakers*were the first team in 18 years to repeat.*The team reportedly pulled him off the stage the next year to prevent him from guaranteeing a threepeat, but he still officially copyrighted "Threepeat" in anticipation.Of the 50 Greatest NBA Players (1996 edition), 9 never won championships, 16 won only one, and only 11 total managed to repeat as champions. *Of the 10 Greatest NBA Coaches (same edition), only 5 of them repeated.The two most recent repeats have been the 2013 Heat, who were 10 seconds from losing to the Spurs in the Finals, and the 2010 Lakers, who were down double digits to the Celtics in Game 7. *There hasn't been a convincing repeat since the 2001 Lakers.How Often Do (Non-Phil Jackson)*Teams Repeat?

Here is a good sound bite I've just made up. No NBA team has EVER repeated without one of Michael Jordan,*Kobe Bryant,*LeBron James, Magic Johnson, Bill Russell, Isiah Thomas, Hakeem Olajuwon or George Mikan. (@NoWaveCoffee reminded me I forgot Hakeem in the first draft... I will do ten dream shakes as penance.)

Let's get into the actual numbers now.

Let's look at champions since the 1971 Finals. For the moment, let's exclude Phil Jackson coached teams, because as you probably know, he is a huge anomaly.

Since 1971, there have been 35 champions not coached by Phil.Only 4 of them (11 %) made it back to the finals and won.8 of them (23 %) actually made it back to the Finals, but then lost.So 12 out of 35 (34 %) made it back to the Finals, but those teams had a grim 4-8 record once there.

Thread
03-05-2016, 10:57 AM
I remember that time when I lost count of our back-to-backs. Kool set me straight. He toted up the cyphers and I was able to see the forest for the trees.

SF doesn't have the quandary. They got 5, one-by-one. That 5th they won twice. And they had that every other year thingy they were so proud of. They were always up on a pedestal:::"We don't rape." They raped. "We don't sleep with each other's wives." They slept with each other's wives. "Our superstar is happily married." The Duncan's got divorced. "Our front office doesn't drive around Bexar County three sheets to the wind." Their GM is a convicted drunk driver.

They ain't nothin' special. Just as a crooked as a dog's hind leg.

DMC
03-05-2016, 11:14 AM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/65/George_Gabby_Hayes.JPG

LkrFan
03-05-2016, 11:21 AM
I remember that time when I lost count of our back-to-backs. Kool set me straight. He toted up the cyphers and I was able to see the forest for the trees.

SF doesn't have the quandary. They got 5, one-by-one. That 5th they won twice. And they had that every other year thingy they were so proud of. They were always up on a pedestal:::"We don't rape." They raped. "We don't sleep with each other's wives." They slept with each other's wives. "Our superstar is happily married." The Duncan's got divorced. "Our front office doesn't drive around Bexar County three sheets to the wind." Their GM is a convicted drunk driver.

:rollin :lmao :rollin

LkrFan
03-05-2016, 11:21 AM
Dream repeated. Jim never did. Ouch.

ambchang
03-05-2016, 01:13 PM

It's about winning the last game in the playoffs. Ow it's about b2b

DMC
03-05-2016, 01:16 PM
It's about winning the last game in the playoffs. Ow it's about b2b
Just Gabby qualifying championships.

Arcadian
03-05-2016, 01:53 PM
That's the theory. It's also the reality. Repeating is really hard.

For instance, the greatest active coach, Gregg Popovich has NEVER repeated. Not even close. In five tries, the Spurs got to the 1st round (2015), WCF (2008), 2nd round (2006), 2nd round (2003), and 1st round (1999). This means of course the exact same is true for Tim Duncan, plus Tony Parker and Manu Ginobelli. The Bird-McHale-Parish Celticsnever repeated. The Julius Erving and Moses Malone (RIP)*76ersnever repeated.*Magic*Johnson, only repeated once. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, only one repeat. In the legendary 80's with Bird, Magic and Dr. J fighting it out, repeating was unheard of. In 1986, Coach*Pat Riley guaranteed a repeat*and pulled it off. The Kareem-MagicLakers*were the first team in 18 years to repeat.*The team reportedly pulled him off the stage the next year to prevent him from guaranteeing a threepeat, but he still officially copyrighted "Threepeat" in anticipation.Of the 50 Greatest NBA Players (1996 edition), 9 never won championships, 16 won only one, and only 11 total managed to repeat as champions. *Of the 10 Greatest NBA Coaches (same edition), only 5 of them repeated.The two most recent repeats have been the 2013 Heat, who were 10 seconds from losing to the Spurs in the Finals, and the 2010 Lakers, who were down double digits to the Celtics in Game 7. *There hasn't been a convincing repeat since the 2001 Lakers.How Often Do (Non-Phil Jackson)*Teams Repeat?

Here is a good sound bite I've just made up. No NBA team has EVER repeated without one of Michael Jordan,*Kobe Bryant,*LeBron James, Magic Johnson, Bill Russell, Isiah Thomas, Hakeem Olajuwon or George Mikan. (@NoWaveCoffee reminded me I forgot Hakeem in the first draft... I will do ten dream shakes as penance.)

Let's get into the actual numbers now.

Let's look at champions since the 1971 Finals. For the moment, let's exclude Phil Jackson coached teams, because as you probably know, he is a huge anomaly.

Since 1971, there have been 35 champions not coached by Phil.Only 4 of them (11 %) made it back to the finals and won.8 of them (23 %) actually made it back to the Finals, but then lost.So 12 out of 35 (34 %) made it back to the Finals, but those teams had a grim 4-8 record once there.

This is your defense mechanism against knowing that Duncan is superior. I understand. This is the mental gymnastics you have to go through to save your delusions. You've become fixated on the few meaningless, arbitrary achievements than Kobe has achieved and Duncan hasn't, just so you can point to them like a toddler screaming, "See?! I get to win too!!"

I've got you all figured out. You're nothing but a lab rat in my experiments on social psychology.

And a faggot.

Mitch
03-05-2016, 02:18 PM
KOD preaching the message that spurfans ignore, tbh. Winning is hard, repeating is exponentially harder.

That's why the best franchise of each decade in the modern era repeated at least once.

80s - Lakers & Magic
90s - Bulls & Jordan
00s - Lakers & Shaq + Kobe
10s - TBD, Heat & Lebron so far

hater
03-05-2016, 02:23 PM

There's some truth to this but the whole statement is so weakly built that it would fold like a house of cards on the first blow. Nice try thou

Thread
03-05-2016, 02:24 PM
KOD preaching the message that spurfans ignore, tbh. Winning is hard, repeating is exponentially harder.

That's why the best franchise of each decade in the modern era repeated at least once.

80s - Lakers & Magic
90s - Bulls & Jordan

Yep, no Spurs in there. Uh, uh. Bereft & barren. 1 at-a-time, like a leaky faucet. Drip, drip, drip. 6 drips and 5 little splashes.

Mitch
03-05-2016, 02:29 PM
Yep, no Spurs in there. Uh, uh. Bereft & barren. 1 at-a-time, like a leaky faucet. Drip, drip, drip. 6 drips and 5 little splashes.

One drip bounced back into faucet, never saw anything like it before

AlexJones
03-05-2016, 03:38 PM

80s - Lakers & Magic
90s - Bulls & Jordan

You can pen in GSW. They're winning at least 3 and repeating once

Mitch
03-05-2016, 03:38 PM
You can pen in GSW. They're winning at least 3 and repeating once

Only going to give them the nod when it's all said & done

Chris
03-05-2016, 03:40 PM
This is your defense mechanism against knowing that Duncan is superior. I understand. This is the mental gymnastics you have to go through to save your delusions. You've become fixated on the few meaningless, arbitrary achievements than Kobe has achieved and Duncan hasn't, just so you can point to them like a toddler screaming, "See?! I get to win too!!"

I've got you all figured out. You're nothing but a lab rat in my experiments on social psychology.

And a faggot.

Arc

Silver&Black
03-05-2016, 05:16 PM
How hard is to make the playoffs?

DMC
03-05-2016, 05:26 PM
How hard is it to miss the playoffs 4 consecutive times?

LkrFan
03-05-2016, 05:33 PM

80s - Lakers & Magic
90s - Bulls & Jordan

Hopefully Dubs repeat. If they do, I take them over the Heatles.

LkrFan
03-05-2016, 05:35 PM

Well, hot damn! BAAAAAHAHAHA! :rollin :lmao :rollin

LkrFan
03-05-2016, 05:36 PM

:lmao :lmao :lmao

LkrFan
03-05-2016, 05:37 PM

About as hard as a multi millionaire keeping his wife from a broke ass pendej:lol!

Chris
03-05-2016, 05:42 PM

GOTHEEM!

Canyonero
03-05-2016, 05:53 PM
What about Lakers' quest for back to back .250 seasons?

Thread
03-05-2016, 05:55 PM

They were selling your shit, you goddamn,,,uh,,,,,,,,,,,,pendej,,,uh, you.

LkrFan
03-05-2016, 05:56 PM

We pissed away our draft picks. Tanking was very predictable. Is that hard to comprehend?

Canyonero
03-05-2016, 06:05 PM
We pissed away our draft picks. Tanking was very predictable. Is that hard to comprehend?

So you may three-peat next season?

Chris
03-05-2016, 06:16 PM

:lol

LkrFan
03-05-2016, 06:32 PM

03-05-2016, 07:37 PM

That's pretty fucking hard tbh especially with the league being as bad as it is. 90s Mavs level of awfulness :lol

HemisfairArena
03-05-2016, 08:11 PM
How hard is it to go 3 straight years in the lottery if you have a claimed all time great player on the team,,,,

Thread
03-05-2016, 08:16 PM
How hard is it to go 3 straight years in the lottery if you have a claimed all time great player on the team,,,,

Only pussies & assholes do "all time."

Splits
03-05-2016, 08:18 PM

http://i.imgur.com/WueMS5j.png

Chef Curry
03-05-2016, 08:24 PM
Can't wait to be a member of this very exclusive and elite club, the back to back club.

Spurfans stay at the door of course like the bums they are.

https://media.giphy.com/media/Vg0JstydL8HCg/giphy.gif

LkrFan
03-05-2016, 08:28 PM

"GOAT PF" couldn't repeat even once. Once I saaaaid. :downspin:

HemisfairArena
03-05-2016, 08:46 PM

Only pussies and assholes bandwagon,,,

HemisfairArena
03-05-2016, 08:48 PM
"GOAT PF" couldn't repeat even once. Once I saaaaid. :downspin:

And he never guided his team to the lottery. Never I said.

03-05-2016, 08:51 PM
http://i.imgur.com/WueMS5j.png
:lmao

HemisfairArena
03-05-2016, 08:53 PM

Come to think of it,,,I would hate all time list to if I was a kobrick fan and anti-Duncan,,,,I get your pain. Solly Cholly,,,,,

Thread
03-05-2016, 08:56 PM
Come to think of it,,,I would hate all time list to if I was a kobrick fan and anti-Duncan,,,,I get your pain. Solly Cholly,,,,,

Spoken like a pussy OR asshole.

Reck
03-05-2016, 08:58 PM

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view6/2748512/backfire-fatality-o.gif

HemisfairArena
03-05-2016, 08:58 PM

LkrFan
03-05-2016, 09:11 PM

All those 50-win seasons. No repeats. It's like y'all lucked in to your titles:

1999) Bulls were broken up. 50-game season. No Ewing.
2003) Shaq was 5,000lbs; Kevin Willis beat him up/down the court
2005) Shaq traded for Lamar Odumb. Smush, Luke Walton, Kwame all played MAJOR minutes for the Lakers
2007) The infamous Horry hipcheck turned the seriesPERIOD
2014) LeHype choked
2015?) Take a gander:

POVmI1-c9_E

BAAAAAHAHAHA! :lmao

HemisfairArena
03-05-2016, 09:24 PM

DMC
03-06-2016, 12:22 AM

2005) Shaq traded for Lamar Odumb. Smush, Luke Walton, Kwame all played MAJOR minutes for the Lakers
2014) LeHype choked
2015?) Take a gander:

POVmI1-c9_E

BAAAAAHAHAHA! :lmao
How hard is it to swim the Rio Grande with 4 bags of beans and two gallons of potable water?

midnightpulp
03-06-2016, 12:33 AM

2014) LeHype choked
2015?) Take a gander:

Lakers titles since '86-87:

'87: West was a cakewalk per usual and Bird's Celtics were past their prime.

'88: The Pistons were ripped off on the worst call in NBA history. Isiah was also obviously hobbled in Game 7 by the ankle injury.

'00: The defending champions, Spurs, lost their best player for the playoffs.

'01: Legit.

'02: The Lakers/Kings series is infamous as being the most blatant example of favorable (to the Lakers) officiating in NBA history. Peja was also injured throughout the series.

'09: Lakers beat a Yao/T-Mac-less Rockets team (who took them to 7 games) and a shitty Magic team who was playing a 25% healthy Jameer Nelson (who killed the Lakers in the regular season that year). KG was also hurt and missed the playoffs. This run is regarded by most NBA fans as the weakest in the modern era.

'10: Kendrik Perkins goes down and doesn't play in the pivotal game 7. The Lakers also got like 60 free throws in the 4th quarter.

No room, son.

LkrFan
03-06-2016, 06:36 AM
Temper flaring on a Saturday night over troof bombs? mid Maaaaaaaaad! :lol

LkrFan
03-06-2016, 06:44 AM

'88: The Pistons were ripped off on the worst call in NBA history. Isiah was also obviously hobbled in Game 7 by the ankle injury.

'02: The Lakers/Kings series is infamous as being the most blatant example of favorable (to the Lakers) officiating in NBA history. Peja was also injured throughout the series.

'09: Lakers beat a Yao/T-Mac-less Rockets team (who took them to 7 games) and a shitty Magic team who was playing a 25% healthy Jameer Nelson (who killed the Lakers in the regular season that year). KG was also hurt and missed the playoffs. This run is regarded by most NBA fans as the weakest in the modern era.

'10: Kendrik Perkins goes down and doesn't play in the pivotal game 7. The Lakers also got like 60 free throws in the 4th quarter.

No room, son.

This post is cute, but you are ignoring the OP. Why is it seemingly impossible for teams (like the 1999* champs) to repeat? Other teams have done it. Why haven't you guys done it even once? I'm truly perplexed by this fact. Thoughts? :downspin:

Killakobe81
03-06-2016, 09:40 AM

Killakobe81
03-06-2016, 09:41 AM

Killakobe81
03-06-2016, 09:45 AM
This post is cute, but you are ignoring the OP. Why is it seemingly impossible for teams (like the 1999* champs) to repeat? Other teams have done it. Why haven't you guys done it even once? I'm truly perplexed by this fact. Thoughts? :downspin:

I stopped reading his work a few weeks back but i am sure he will just deflect, question your intelligence when you dont agree and then bash Kobe instead of answering.
Rinse.
Lather.
Repeat...
Oh wait ... no repeats around here ...just one and done.

Thread
03-06-2016, 11:14 AM

No room, son.

Only pussies & assholes blame the officiating.
Only pussies & assholes blame injury.

KobeOwnsDuncan
03-06-2016, 11:51 AM
Christ, 5 times the year after the Spurs won, another team was better.

LkrFan
03-06-2016, 12:25 PM
I stopped reading his work a few weeks back but i am sure he will just deflect, question your intelligence when you dont agree and then bash Kobe instead of answering.
Rinse.
Lather.
Repeat...
Oh wait ... no repeats around here ...just one and done.

ElNono
03-06-2016, 12:32 PM

burn

UZER
03-06-2016, 01:21 PM

Cul...the Shary Bobbins of ST

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080328140748/simpsons/images/f/f1/Shary_Bobbins.png

ambchang
03-06-2016, 01:46 PM

Just because the Spurs haven't repeated yet doesn't mean it's impossible for them to repeat.

If you want an answer, at least right a semi legible question.

ambchang
03-06-2016, 01:47 PM
Christ, 5 times the year after the Spurs won, another team was better.

5 times the Spurs won, none of the other teams were better that year.

LkrFan
03-06-2016, 01:53 PM
Just because the Spurs haven't repeated yet doesn't mean it's impossible for them to repeat.

If you want an answer, at least right a semi legible question.

When will the Spurs repeat tbh? You've had 19 years already. :downspin:

LkrFan
03-06-2016, 02:02 PM
Let's talk about Karma for a minute:

3=3 was in full effect. . .
2007 - Horry hipcheck turned the series for the Sp*rs - 4 > 3
2008 - Kobe ruined Jim's 4th chance at repeating :lol
2009 - Kobe rang without Shaq - 4 - 4
2010 - Kobe repeated without Shaq 5 > 4

Here we go 6 years later and Jim still failed to defend his marriage or his title :lol

Thread
03-06-2016, 02:15 PM

Here we go 6 years later and Jim still failed to defend his marriage or his title :lol

The Stalwart

DMC
03-06-2016, 02:17 PM
B2B titles and still 12? lol

Killakobe81
03-06-2016, 02:31 PM

:rollin

ambchang
03-06-2016, 04:23 PM
When will the Spurs repeat tbh? You've had 19 years already. :downspin:

The Spurs has been around for more than 19 years.

The lakers didn't repeat until 88, after the league took car of Houston for them.

That's after how many years in existence?

Mitch
03-06-2016, 04:41 PM
I'd rank accomplishments something like this

Repeating in the nba
Olympic gold medal
Nba championship

Cba championship

Regular season championship

Bronze medal

LkrFan
03-06-2016, 05:19 PM
B2B titles and still 12? lol

The white media of BSPN ranked him 12th. We know that's a farce when LeHype (lost to Jim TWICE in the Finals and his 33.33333 Finals winning percentage) is ranked 3rd overall (which is well ahead of Jim). Seems legit, right? :wakeup

LkrFan
03-06-2016, 05:20 PM

Repeating in the nba
Olympic gold medal
Nba championship

Cba championship

Bronze medal

Exactly son. What about you midnightpulp? :)

DMC
03-06-2016, 05:28 PM

Repeating in the nba
Olympic gold medal
Nba championship

Cba championship

Bronze medal

Yeah that matters;

Pundits would rank it like this:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/78/96/17/789617e271f1e8c3c5c007fee16c3304.jpg

Killakobe81
03-06-2016, 05:34 PM

Repeating in the nba
Olympic gold medal
Nba championship

Cba championship

Bronze medal

Nah nba title hire than olympics but you otherwise make some good points ...:lol